Start by marking “Boundary Waters (Cork O'Connor, #2)” as Want to Read:
Boundary Waters (Cork O'Connor, #2)

Boundary Waters

(Cork O'Connor #2)

The Quetico-Superior Wilderness: more than two million acres of forest, white-water rapids, and uncharted islands on the Canadian/American border. Somewhere in the heart of this unforgiving territory, a young woman named Shiloh -- a country-western singer at the height of her fame -- has disappeared. Her father arrives in Aurora, Minnesota, to hire Cork O'Connor to find ...more
Published July 1st 2000 by Pocket Star Books (first published May 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Boundary Waters, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Dolly The bald-headed bad guy who was tracking them (can't remember his name) used Stormy's jacket to make Cork and the others think it was Stormy who…moreThe bald-headed bad guy who was tracking them (can't remember his name) used Stormy's jacket to make Cork and the others think it was Stormy who killed Grimes.(less)

Start your review of Boundary Waters (Cork O'Connor, #2)
Carolyn
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, 2019
In this second novel in the Cork O'Connor series, Cork volunteers to go into the wilderness and look for a young female singer, Shiloh, who has secluded herself away for a few weeks to be alone. The Anishinaabe Indian man, Wendell Two Knives, who was bringing supplies to her secret cabin has disappeared and Shiloh's father, Willie Raye, is concerned about her being stranded when the winter snows arrive. Wendell's brother Stormy and his young nephew Louis ask to go along with him to look for ...more
Phrynne
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Number two in a series which I think I am going to enjoy very much!!! At least, the first two books predict good things to come.
I believe I remarked in my review of Iron Lake that the body count was amazingly high. I think this book may have it beaten. Bodies fall by the wayside throughout the story and I am not even sure that they are all collected by the end. At least a lot of them are baddies.
Krueger writes extremely well both in describing the amazing countryside and in his sympathetic
William
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars, the single best Krueger.

The middle half of this book is superb, 5-stars or more. The start is slow and a bit pedestrian but not bad, and the final quarter seems rushed and clunky, as if the author got bored with it and wanted to hurry up and finish. Too bad. A bit more work and this would have been a full 5.5 stars!

Ignoring the clumsy and carelessly contrived sections, the middle half of the book is very much "man against the wilderness" wrapped in a pretty good mystery. The scenery
Ingrid
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved it, thought it better than the first book in the series.
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019

"Long is the way and hard, that out of hell leads up to light."

A thriller that not only deserves, but inserts at the appropriate moment a quote from John Milton's 'Paradise Lost' ? Count me in!
I have already read and enjoyed the first Cork O'Connor mystery from William Kent Krueger. With this second novel under my belt, I realize I am in for the long haul, and plan to read the whole series. For now let's concentrate on the current episode:

Heaven and Hell meet in the Boundary Waters: a vast
Jonetta
Cork O'Connor is contacted by Willie Raye to help find his daughter, Shiloh, who's disappeared. She's a famous Country & Western singer who apparently has chosen to remove herself into the Quetico-Superior Wilderness for some self reflection. The Feds have also inserted themselves into the search because they believe she now remembers information about her mother's murder 13-years ago. Unfortunately, there are other dark forces at play as others are out to find and kill her.

As with the
Ron
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My second dip into Krueger’s Cork O’Conner series proved to be every bit as good as the first, if not a little better due to added intensity. Whereas Iron Lake set the tone as an intro, including a local murder mystery, Boundary Waters expands both the cast and the setting by going north of the Aurora community into the surrounding wilderness (as if Iron Lake isn’t wild enough) where canoes are an absolute necessity. I’m getting to know Cork and the main characters a little better, to which I ...more
Emma
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
4.5 stars. What a great series! Cork O'Connor and his family and friends of the Reservation community to which he belongs are well drawn characters, the setting is evocative and the bodies are dropping like flies. Didn't guess who was behind it all either.
Something about Krueger's writing really appeals to me and this story carried me along effortlessly.
Series recommended.
Veronica
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cork O'Connor, former Sheriff of Tamarack County, is about a year out of the events of book one in this series. Though separated from his wife, Jo, he's nevertheless making progress on some personal commitments. When a famous music mogul with ties to Cork's past shows up asking for help in finding his daughter, Cork is honor bound to oblige.

This was an excellent follow up to the author's debut novel in this series. No sophomore slump here. The author definitely has a way with words, using them
Christine
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I am in love with this author. Boundary Waters is #2 in the Cork O’Connor series of 14 books. I do not plan to finish many series over 6 books, as there are so many authors out there I want to explore. I do however plan to read everything W. Kent Krueger writes. I gave this book 5 stars because of the way the writing made me FEEL. For reasons difficult for me to describe, I felt at peace. I also felt home, I felt alive, I felt I was in the story with the characters.

Mr. Krueger’s masterful though
Perri
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Krueger's adept at atmospheric setting, character development, and I enjoyed the Native American culture inserts. I was a bit sad (view spoiler) Overall, another strong thriller by a master writer.
Joe
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
#2 and counting and JUST as good as #1, IRON LAKE! I am so thrilled to have found this author and his series with Cork O'Connor. Mr Krueger's writing style finds me, stopping and re-reading passages. His way with words often just takes my breath away! Talk about making you THINK and WISH you could write like this! Amazing! Then I just imagine this scenery, best I can. I mean, his descriptions of the Boundary waters, the 2 million acres of forest, white-water rapids and uncharted islands on the ...more
Laurene
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boundary Waters is the second installment of the Cork O Connor series. The characters -- the imagery, (wilderness in winter) -- the plot -- the mystical elements -- the mystery -- what is not to like. Although the body count can be quite high but it's mostly the bad guys. I am committed to reading this series.

"I only know everything is connected, like the threads on a spider web. And time is like the wind. The wind blows , the web moves, but the connections do not break."

"Hard silence often
Jim
This was another good addition to the series, an interesting murder mystery set in a lake area of Minnesota. The camping & other things that I knew anything about all seemed pretty well done. The mystery itself was very well done this time. Plenty of twists & turns along the way. Again, quite a bit of Indian lore & stories. They were interesting, for the most part.

One of the things I really liked about these books is the subtle streak of Indian mysticism. It's available if you want
Jeff Dickison
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another good Cork O'Connor adventure as he and several other people attempt to rescue a country singer from inside the titled waters. Lots of action and good plot twists. The only part I didn't like was Cork getting back with his cheating wife. Recommended to O'Connor fans.
Angela
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Fast paced. All events occurred within a few days and it could really feel the sense of the chase as Cork and companions tried to locate a missing woman. Once again, Krueger creates a sense of atmosphere and setting within his book, that you can feel the end of Autumn and the onset of Winter. An absorbing contemporary mystery series.
Monnie
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There are so many books on my to-read list that I try - really - to mix things up; when I find a new-to-me series I love, I force myself not to run through every single one with nothing else in between. With this series, which I discovered quite recently, I stuck to that pattern and followed up the first book with something different. But an hour after that, I couldn't stand it; out came the next from this author's series featuring former backwoods Minnesota sheriff Cork O'Connor.

This time, a
Susu
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Not as good as the first in the series, but I want to read them in order for the over- arching story. I figured out the culprit early on. I will continue the series. I like the characters and the setting, but I'll take a break for now.
Una Tiers
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Boundary Waters was more melancholy than some of Krueger's other books. His descriptions of the landscape and the traditions are awe inspiring and respectful.
Val
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, series, mystery, 2019
Krueger’s second novel again features ex-sheriff Cork O’Connor of Aurora, Minnesota, and plenty of harsh weather. I liked this book even better than the first one of the series. This one was about Shiloh, a young woman in hiding, and people are converging on Aurora looking for her. Some are trying to kill her and others are trying to rescue her. Native American folklore and legend are mixed in, again, and I really enjoyed those aspects of the story. I found Boundary Waters to be a solid and ...more
Mike
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cork is enlisted in the search for a semi-famous recording artist, rumored to be in the area, with awakened memories relating to the death of her mother years earlier.

Throw in the FBI and some shady gangsters, and Cork is fighting for his life in a land of many lakes and rivers, with the help of a 10 year old survivalist. Very entertaining.
Suzy
2 1/2 stars

I did not enjoy this nearly as much as the first in the series Iron Lake. The mystery at the heart of this was not compelling and the writing not up to the standard of the first book. A young woman (famous) country singer wanted to connect with her Ojibway roots, but it did not ring as authentic to me. And the chase through the boundary waters to find her and save her from violence was hard to follow. I'm going to put this all down to sophomore slump. I will say, though, that the
Steven Z.
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In BOUNDARY WATERS William Kent Krueger continues the saga of Cork O’Conner who still remains apart from his family with hopes of resurrecting his marriage. The hurt that was present at the end of IRON LAKE has dimmed but it remains just below the surface. Cork still lives in the back of a Quonset Hut, that doubles as a hamburger stand in season. The second installment of the series opens with a woman hiding in the wilderness of northern Minnesota that is known as the Boundary Waters region ...more
Harry
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
William Kent Krueger's Cork O'OConnor series comprise a series of stories set in Aurora Minnesota, an area of the country of which I'm blatantly ignorant. Frankly, in reading the reviews of this setting I managed to barely stifle a yawn. Small town mysteries set in a frozen wasteland? With boring backgrounds that involve Indian supernatural folklore - I don't stomach mysteries that resort to such subterfuge, avoid beyond this world explanations when the genre is detective/mystery, decry ...more
Maureen DeLuca
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another good read from this series‼ ...more
Kristin
Dec 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio-books
This is the third book I’ve gotten on audio tape in this series. I read them a bit out of order – Purgatory Ridge (#3), then Iron Lake (#1) and Boundary Waters (#2). I’m actually glad I did, because if I had gotten to Boundary Waters without knowing something of what was coming, I would have stopped “reading”.

The audio pronunciations aside (not the authors fault but still distracting), there were small things that were just not quite right. Here we have a chase happening in the BWCAW (Boundary
Pat
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm very behind in posting my reviews but I've powered through some really interesting and different books in the last few weeks. Reviews coming.

This book was a bit darker than the first in the series methinks. Shiloh, a young female country and western singer has apparently gone missing in the wilderness near the town of Aurora. Cork O'Connor, a former sheriff there, gets involved in the search for her. It soon becomes apparent that all is not as it seems. There appears to be three separate
Denise Wilbanks | This Is My Everybody | T.I.M.E.
BOOK REVIEW: Boundary Waters by William Kent Krueger

William Kent Krueger is fastly becoming one of my favorite authors! He also wrote This Tender Land, which I absolutely loved. One of my all-T.I.M.E. Favorites!

And in The Cork O’Connor Series he is really doing a great job as well.

The series is set in an environment that is absolutely ripe for storytelling. You've got the icy tundra… You've got frozen lakes… You've got people disappearing right and left in the wilderness that you need night
Marty Fried
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, mystery
Lots of people getting killed, lots of Indian lore, and a bit of romance all mixed into an interesting and unusual story.
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Read It, Rate It and Record
A short review to update challenges

I loved this second book in the Cork O'Connor series , Boundary Waters. I continue to the Minnesota setting, the Indian lore, the well developed world and characters.

Cork continues to grow and develop himself. I don't know how he manages to take so much time to look into things though, since it doesn't seem like he gets paid for it.

The plot here was also twisty. I
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect Page Number 3 15 Aug 24, 2017 08:18AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question Q 6 12 Mar 09, 2017 04:19PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question P 8 9 Mar 09, 2017 04:18PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question N 5 7 Mar 09, 2017 04:16PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 7 8 Mar 09, 2017 04:15PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 9 9 Mar 09, 2017 04:14PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question I 11 10 Mar 09, 2017 04:13PM

• A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)
  • Savage Run (Joe Pickett, #2)
  • Wolf Pack (Joe Pickett, #19)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Land of Wolves (Walt Longmire, #15)
  • Nothing More Dangerous
  • The Bitterroots (Cassie Dewell, #4)
  • Open Season (Joe Pickett, #1)
  • Winterkill (Joe Pickett, #3)
  • Free Fire (Joe Pickett, #7)
  • In Plain Sight (Joe Pickett, #6)
  • The Guardians
  • Blood Trail (Joe Pickett, #8)
  • Out Of Range (Joe Pickett, #5)
  • Below Zero (Joe Pickett, #9)
  • The Poacher's Son (Mike Bowditch, #1)
  • A Bitter Feast (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #18)
Raised in the Cascade Mountains of Oregon, William Kent Krueger briefly attended Stanford University—before being kicked out for radical activities. After that, he logged timber, worked construction, tried his hand at freelance journalism, and eventually ended up researching child development at the University of Minnesota. He currently makes his living as a full-time author. He’s been married for ...more

Cork O'Connor (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Iron Lake (Cork O'Connor, #1)
  • Purgatory Ridge (Cork O'Connor, #3)
  • Blood Hollow (Cork O'Connor, #4)
  • Mercy Falls (Cork O'Connor, #5)
  • Copper River (Cork O'Connor, #6)
  • Thunder Bay (Cork O'Connor, #7)
  • Red Knife (Cork O'Connor, #8)
  • Heaven's Keep (Cork O'Connor, #9)
  • Vermilion Drift (Cork O'Connor, #10)
  • Northwest Angle (Cork O'Connor, #11)
“Straight is my path. Straight is my mind. Straight is my heart. Straight is my speech. Kind will I be to my brothers and sisters. Kind will I be to beast and bird.” 6 likes
“is the way and hard, that out of hell leads up to light.” 2 likes