Start by marking “Matched (Matched #1)” as Want to Read:
Matched (Matched #1)

Matched

(Matched #1)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  607,301 ratings  ·  32,211 reviews
Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her
Published September 20th 2011 by Speak (first published November 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Matched, please sign up.
Dennis Good reads will not do your homework for you. Read the book.
Amber. I honestly hated it so much. sorry not sorry. The characters annoyed me and the plot just wasn't good. give it a try if you want, you might like it.

·  607,301 ratings  ·  32,211 reviews

Laurel
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy love triangles I guess
Recommended to Laurel by: My eyes
The fart was this? I just...the FART WAS THIS?!

That beautiful cover is mean. It drew me right in with its pretty lime green bubble bait of death. Can't help wanting to have some of my favorite color on my reading shelf. Hnnnnng. It said, "READ ME OR I WILL MURDER YOU FAMILY." And I bought it so it'd stop glaring at me in the teeny-bopper section of B&N.

I opened Matched, and snails came at me with their shells and antennae of slime and grime and chime and dime. SNAILS EVERYWHERE. I couldn't move, I couldn't breathe, I was forced to"READ
Joe
Official Transcripts

June 21, 2001 • AOL Chatroom AuthorTalk
ACondieHottie: Oh my gosh! Lois Lowry! You're actually online!
2timeNewbery: Sigh. Hello, Allie.
ACondieHottie: It's Ally. With a 'y'!
ACondieHottie: I can't believe u forgot! Don't u read my letters?
2timeNewbery: I've received them, yes.
ACondieHottie: Ur my favorite author! Ur books R so rad!
ACondieHottie: Especially The Giver! I love that one! It's so aweum!
ACondieHottie: Jonah's world is so neet! I want to write a book just like it!
ACondieHottie: I wish The Giver had more romance, though. My book would have romance.
ACondieHottie: Do u like romance?/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>
Tatiana
Oct 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of tepid teen romance driven novels
Recommended to Tatiana by: Annalisa
As seen on The Readventurer

First thing first. I think Ally Condie owes at least half of her seven-figure paycheck to Lois Lowry. The entire dystopian world is lifted directly from Lowry's The Giver. Almost everything interesting in Matched is very familiar - the idea of highly controlled Society (the Community in The Giver), the prearranged Matches, uniform clothing, the pills suppressing emotions, predetermination of everyone's life course, euthanized elderly, regulated personal possessions, the precision of the language,
Inge
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Wow. That was not what I expected at all. What a total snorefest. I was prepared to be blown away by the awesomeness hidden in these pages. Instead, I was so so disappointed. Such a shame, because the idea sounded amazing and I was so excited. I was expecting it to be fantastic, but unfortunately, it wasn’t. Not at all. It didn’t even come close to fantastic. Frankly, it was boring. Dull. Yawn-inducing. Every character had less personality than a paper bag. My mind kept dwelling while I w/>
Kristi
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Matched drew me in with it's unique summary and beautiful cover, unfortunately that is where my fascination ended.

I wanted to like this book.... actually I wanted to love it, but I didn't. I had a very hard time getting though this novel. I even had to take a break from it completely, and I only kept reading because of the encouragement from others that had read it, insisting that it would get better. It didn't get a whole lot better for me.

I guess my biggest problem was
Emily May

Soo... basic storyline being of a society where officials decide every aspect of a person's life from the big stuff as in who they'll marry (or be 'matched' with) and when they'll die to the little stuff like what they eat, how they dress and their daily routines. The story tells how Cassia is matched to a boy but falls for another and suddenly begins to question the rules of the society, heading as she does so straight into a world of secrets and danger. Great sounding plot, am I right? Too b
Joyzi
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Peeps who don't mind The Giver and The Hunger Games rip-off
Recommended to Joyzi by: Youtube
Book Review

Okay I promised I'll write an in depth review so here it is and I'll try to not put biggie spoilers. (I'm going to use Q & A style of reviewing this time)

What made you pick-up the book?
> I actually watched a book trailer in Youtube (the link to that vid was way down there somewhere) so and yeah I got intrigued by that video and then I go to goodreads and read reviews about it. I was a bit shock about the mix reviews, some was positive and some was negative. So because of it I think I should read it so I htime)
What
Jessica
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youngadult, dystopian
Everything in this book is so CLEAN! I loved that. You have to understand, I had a "thing" for utopian societies in high school. BRAVE NEW WORLD, THIS PERFECT DAY, HARRISON BERGERON . . . oh, yes! I've read them all. And what struck me about some of them was that it was supposed to be the perfect, future society, but everyone just seemed so sweaty . . . But not so in the Society. Everything is carefully sanitized. Clothes are clean, or quickly changed when they are not. The world has been cleane ...more
karen
yeah.

this is one i might be too old for. a lot of people compare this to The Giver, and i get it, in that they are both these forced-utopias, but then, so is The Stepford Wives, yeah? but since i didn't like the giver, i can't really complain that this was a rip-off, because neither of them did very much for me, so i'm not going to go waving any flags around in either's defense. you are on your own, books...

but if i had to.

this one may have been slightly more entertaining to me because it was less dated. and of course, they both take place
Flannery
This book is like a long train ride. When I first got on I was like, "Oh man, look at this train! Wow! Look at all the people! *peeping out the windows*, *looking at the scenery*." Then, after about 40 pages I was like, "You know what? This scenery is kind of repetitive. I'm getting kind of bored. Maybe I'll check out the dining car." After a little bit longer, I was second-guessing my decision to take the train at all and wondering about my sanity level. "When is this train ride going to be ove ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Matched (Matched, #1), Ally Condie
Matched, by Ally Condie, is the first novel in the Matched trilogy. The novel is a dystopian young adult novel about a tightly-controlled society in which young people are "matched" with their life partners at the age of 17. The main character is seventeen-year-old Cassia Reyes, who is Matched with her best friend, Xander Carrow. However, when viewing the information for her Match, the picture of another young man - Ky Markham, an acquaintance outcast at h
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus) by: to all hunger games lovers !
5.5 scorching soul-matched stars....

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

"I push myself hard.The words of Thomas poems so wild and beautiful that i keep reapeating them silently as i run..Do not go gentle,do not go gentle,do not go gentle,until realization hits me :There's a reason thy didn't keep this poem.

This poem tells you to fight."

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their wordslight.
"I
Elena Salvatore
I actually quite enjoyed this book.
Not because it was a great book per say, but more because it was a very fast and easy read. I did reach page 167 in just a couple of hours.
description
But even tho I enjoyed it, I don't know if I'm intrested enough to keep going with this series.
I've heard that the second book is not worth reading since nothing really happens in it, so I did plan to skip it and just read some spoilery review for it but I also
evelyn
May 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readin2010
So I didn't expect them to at all, but a little part of me was really hoping Scholastic would come to BEA with a stack of galleys for "Mockingjay" the way they did with "Catching Fire." Of course they didn't, they wouldn't want to ruin the end of the trilogy before it's released. But a girl can dream.

So, anyway, there was a big gap in my galley pile that could only be filled by some quality YA distopian fiction. When I went to the YA Editors' Buzz panel and heard about "Matched" I th
Kimberly
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kimberly by: Goodreads People
Shelves: dystopia, romance, trilogy
WHAT MADE ME READ THE BOOK?
It's a trailer I watched on Youtube, and I was intrigued about it.

Matched Trailer

At first, I thought it was just another best friend-loves-best friend-loves-new guy thing. I was right, but not what I expected. It got better and better as I read more.
(Note: If you think like a writer, you'll know something that might happen.)

The plot reminded me a little of Hunger G
Annalisa
When I heard Condie's trilogy was being pushed as the next big thing, I instantly expected this to be cheap, tantalizing but empty, and poorly written. Is my faith in the publishing industry that low? Sadly, sometimes yes. Then I met Ally. She's adorable, down-to-earth, and not at all tainted by the buzz. Ever since, I've been anxiously trying to get my hands on an ARC of Matched. I really wanted it to be as good as her publisher thinks it is.

I sat down Friday afternoon with my frien
Charlie
May 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, instalove, dystopian, eh
Bitch, puhlEAz! This book is just a crappier, romance-oriented, version of the Giver, and I didn’t even like that one! It has the whole, "We are a perfect Utopian society, with order, and control. Yeah, we don’t tell you much about who we are and what we do, like ever, but none of y’all have turned into Tin-foil Hats, so just continue on with life, and do as we say. Cheerio!”

At 16 (I think it's 16, I’m too lazy to go check), there is this Matching ceremony, where teenagers are paired by the gov
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Sometimes I decide that a book isn’t for me based on some silly, almost non-existent reason, and then I stubbornly stick with my decision until something forces me to reconsider. In this case, I avoided Matched like the plague because the entire plot seemed to be based on a love triangle, but I was forced to change my mind when I came into possession of the audiobook. With hours of driving ahead of me, I had no choice but to give it a chance. And I loved it.

Matched is extremely character-centric. There’s
Georgina
Dec 20, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Georgina by: waterstones young readers thing
Really disliked it. I found it espcially hard to believe in her love for (insert forgotten name) as she barely knew him and all that napkin stuff was really cringy. Didn't feel for the guy at all, since all he seemed to want was for somebody to feel sorry for him. I would have prefered it if she'd fallen in love with her best friend but been given a different match. The fact that the matches were so sucessful most of the time was the biggest let down for me.
I also disliked how 'deep' we w
Kelly Brigid ♡

description

I didn't have high expectation coming into this book. This turned out to be a good thing, because I can only imagine how angry I'd be if I thought this book was going to be good...it wasn't. I wouldn't go so far as to say that this book was terrible, but it just had nothing appealing at all. If you have read The Giver by Lois Lowry, then you would know that it had a very distinct and inspirational, dystopian setting. It is the basis for pracappealing at
Wendy Darling
I liked this well enough, but feel that it's a little slight in plot and structure; I also wasn't enthralled by any of the main characters. Overall, it's a quick, entertaining read, but not a particularly deep or memorable one. This is one of those rare occasions when the film might actually be better than the book.

Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)

Usually I can power through a crappy book and make it to the end but man oh man I just couldn't do it with this damn book.
I feel like this entire book was just an intro for the rest of the series. A super. Long. Dragged out. Intro. The conflict was introduced but nothing ever really happened with it. All of the sudden she's in love, like what?
Just not a fan.
1.5 stars only bc I like the writing style, the content was lacking
Misty
3 for enjoyment, 2 for substance.

Warning: I'm not sure if this turned out to be a review or a philosophical discussion, or some freaky lovechild of the two.  Bear with me...

[I'm gonna go with "freaky love child." Why not? Read more HERE.]
Nasom
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dystopian
I tried removing this book from a particular shelf and it turns out I was deleting the book in general 😒. How I hate this site! Thankfully I have a copy of my review someplace else ugh

Review, take two

Buddy read with the lovely Aqsa

Plot
Our main character, 17 year old cassia, who has been excited about getting matched, discovers that she’s matched with her best friend, Xander, which is shocking because matches usually happen between people that live in different cities/societies/>/>
Dannii Elle
Whilst not a bad book, by any means, I felt as though the plot for this felt a little outdated and recycled from other powerhouses in the dystopian genre. It was interesting to read of a slower-paced, and less action-based, dystopian and yet, for me, this ended up being this book's undoing. I felt like the whole book was waiting to get going. There was no grand climax or sub-plots and the aspects that initially held my interest ended up being overshadowed by the predictable emergence of a love t ...more
Eva ☾
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
12/8/2019

It's been almost a year since I last edited this review and my opinions have changed quite a lot as my reading tastes. After reading the second every feeling that I had about this book collapsed.

__________________________________________
This is my first review so consequently I feel a little anxious.This book was fascinating.I enjoyed every little part of it.I have read quite a few dystopian books but this world-building intrigued me.

The characters were in
Aj the Ravenous Reader

If I may be politely honest, I would have to say that this series is one of the dystopians series I liked the least. The concept of the society where everything is controlled, measured and dictated by the government is, I think a good idea. Even the main conflict, when Cassia's chip showed her the face of Ky abruptly and quickly when Xander has already been determined to be her match is fascinating and intriguing and these elements would have already been really useful tools to make a really rea
Colleen Houck
This book actually made me feel like I was the one trapped inside the bubble. I wanted to scream, "Run! Can't you people see what's happening? Don't take that pill!" I couldn't breathe until it was over. Very good writing that sucked me in and made me very grateful that I have the freedom to choose what I want to be and do.
Brigid ✩
Hmm. I was not so crazy about this one. It was alright, just a little ... bland, I guess?

Here's my main problem with it: Right before I read this book, I read Delirium by Lauren Oliver. I don't know which one came out first, but they have very similar plots. 1) Dystopian society in which everyone's fates are planned for them. 2) Main character is a teenage girl. 3) Girl is supposed to marry a boring guy. 4) Girl falls for another, rebellious guy instead.

Each has its own original
YA Buddy Readers'...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Matched Series By Ally Condie - Reading from 'Matched' from August 29th 2019 401 433 Sep 15, 2019 02:07PM
Xander or Ky? 55 146 Aug 26, 2019 05:13PM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Speak
  • Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3)
  • Prized (Birthmarked, #2)
  • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
  • Wolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill Me
  • Outside In (Insider, #2)
  • The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2)
  • Requiem (Delirium, #3)
  • Possession (Possession, #1)
  • The Forgotten Locket (Hourglass Door, #3)
  • Partials (Partials Sequence, #1)
  • Middle Ground (Awaken, #2)
  • Incarnate (Newsoul, #1)
  • Black Hole Sun (Hell's Cross, #1)
  • The False Princess
  • The Dead and the Gone (Last Survivors, #2)
  • Enclave (Razorland, #1)
Ally Condie is a former high school English teacher who lives with her husband, three sons and one daughter outside of Salt Lake City, Utah. She loves reading, running, eating, and listening to her husband play guitar.

Matched (3 books)
  • Crossed (Matched, #2)
  • Reached (Matched, #3)
“Growing apart doesn't change the fact that for a long time we grew side by side; our roots will always be tangled. I'm glad for that.” 3760 likes
“Every minute you spend with someone gives them a part of your life and takes part of theirs.” 1895 likes