Start by marking “Lost Tycoon: The Many Lives of Donald J. Trump” as Want to Read:
Lost Tycoon: The Many Lives of Donald J. Trump

Lost Tycoon: The Many Lives of Donald J. Trump

A look at the fortunes and misfortunes of the multimillionaire uses untapped family sources to describe Trump's dealing with political fixers and contractors, his ties to organized crime, his personal life, and his financial situation. 30,000 first printing. Tour.
Published May 1st 1993 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about Lost Tycoon, please sign up.
Sheila I finished this book last night. I do not think there was ever any diagnosis of Trump by a professional. When Ivana, and later Marla wanted to seek…moreI finished this book last night. I do not think there was ever any diagnosis of Trump by a professional. When Ivana, and later Marla wanted to seek counseling, his response was something along the lines of "Sure, if it'll make you better." I also don't believe there is any trauma identified in the book. Perhaps being sent to a military academy because his father couldn't control him might count. (less)

Allegra
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it
This book demonstrates the many awful qualities that make Donald J. Trump an unlikable, vile person. Good read. Wish that his voters had read it before this year's election.
Pamfrommd
Oct 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Yet another book that I'm embarrassed to have read. But I confess that it was somewhat fascinating. I can report that The Donald hasn't changed at all since the book was published in 1993. He was shallow and narcissistic then as now. And his behavior towards women was execrable then as now. I came away with only one positive thing to say about him: the man does work hard. Good luck Republicans!
Melissa Mulvihill
Oct 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Glad to be done with this. No surprises at all in this book. If you can stomach this read, it's a decent companion to Trump, The Art of the Deal. Read near a shower. You'll need it.
Kimberly
Oct 11, 2016 rated it liked it
NOTES:
Donald’s most valuable property - at least as far as he is concerned - is his name. He boasts time and again that he can instantly add value to any property or project simply by adding “Trump” to it.

“I believe I’ve added show business to the real estate business.”

Although he brags that he personally signs every check, unpaid bills and past-due invoices pile up on his desk for months at a time.

Donald tried - unsuccessfully - to convince Playboy magazine to run a spread on the “Girls of Tr
Bjorn Hardarson
Aug 17, 2012 rated it liked it
After reading few of biographies of "successful" business men you get the feeling that it is true that many of the corporate successful men are often in real "snakes in suits". Trump of course himself will not say many of the things said about him in this book is true but....
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked up Lost Tycoon after seeing that it was on Janet Maslin's (NY times critic) best reads of 2017. I was originally published in 1998 and covers Trump's early years as a developer in NYC and Atlantic City, as well as his marriage and divorce with Ivana. Although there were some good gossipy parts, for me it was mostly "deja vue all over again". He was chaotic, irrational and combative and anyone who worked for him sooner or later was thrown under the bus, including his family. He overstate ...more
Reverenddave
Easily the most tabloid-y of all the Trump books out there, this is entertaining for both its focus on Trump's seedier scandals and its willingness to believe and blow up all the gossip about his personal life and dealings. So for those wanting to believe the worst in the man, its quite an enjoyable read even if you know its largely overly inflated.

But it also ends in 1993 so Marla is referred to as an ex-girlfriend in the final chapters. And if you want to hate the man (and lord do I) there ar
Rodney Este
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a very interesting read, even many many years after its publication. It's been almost prophetic, and a shame more people didn't read this before. Trump's key tactics are still in use, only on a much larger scale. Media manipulation, corruption, divisiveness, self-inflation, and lying are all his key tools. And nothing has changed--it's just on a grander, and much more dangerous, scale now.
Atif Taj
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Wrote like a fiction novel about a current President who was proven to be narcissistic, pathological liar, and the worst acumen in the business time and time again. He lost prized possessions and alienated his family members. Living of highly leveraged properties, his net worth can be negative.
Marcus
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Matty
Jul 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Lost Tycoon is nothing more than a fantastical smear job. This book was not written in good faith and is rife with wild speculation. Don’t waste your time on this one.
Robert Strupp
Everyone should read this book.
Melissa
Jul 04, 2017
Rob Rains
Aug 29, 2018
Eileen
rated it did not like it
Mar 08, 2017
Bethany
Oct 22, 2017
M.a.
Sep 03, 2017
Sherry
Jan 10, 2016
Harry Hurt III has worked for Newsweek and Texas Monthly and contributed to Sports Illustrated, Esquire and Playboy.