Start by marking “The Wildlife Detectives: How Forensic Scientists Fight Crimes Against Nature (Scientist in the Field Series)” as Want to Read:

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  43 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
"A riveting and thorough account . . ." - Kirkus

"Unfolds almost like a mystery novel . . . A book that will be welcomed by mystery fans and anyone who cares about animals."
- Booklist

Slaughtering elephants for their ivory; shooting bears for their gall bladders; capturing sea turtles for soup. In the name of vanity, fashion, and greed, man stalks and kills wild animals --
Published April 24th 2000 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Wildlife Detectives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wildlife Detectives

Kristine Hansen
This is one of those books designed to drive crazy every person in the room as you read it, because the facts on poaching are so shocking that without meaning to you begin reading out loud the various statistics and stories. I'm fascinated by this book, I'm fascinated to find out how forensic scientists work in the field of wildlife protection and conservation. Another excellent book in this series, well illustrated and never once dull or uninteresting.
Fishface
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great one! Tracks the killer of a well-known Elk at Yellowstone using DNA analysis and other scientific techniques usually reserved for crimes against humans. Nice to see one of that sort go down, instead of getting away with it for a change.
Hannah Barnes
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Summary: The text provides detailed facts about endangered animals and the forensics involved to help scientists learn about the animals and how to tract and catch poachers. The book displays a wide variety of pictures that help you imagine the scenes that take place. It even explains the amount certain animals would be worth if killed and sold by a poacher.

Evaluation: I did not realize the extent that poachers went too to hunt animals nor did I realize the amount of money they would receive fo
Kayla Graham
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Taking on the mood of suspense and mystery this book documents and details how real Wildlife Detectives hunt down unlawful animal predators. The nonfiction science book supports its hard hitting facts with photographs containing graphic images of mistreated animals, and also suggestions for the reader on how they too can become a wildlife detective. The book is segmented by different dated case files making it possible for the reader to skip around the book if they have an interest in a particul ...more
Elah H.
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I believe that this book was very interesting with the investigation of Chargers death.(He's an Elk by the way) But I didn't expect the book to only be about Charger, with a few details about other wildlife topics. But overall I did think this book was very interesting, and a good book for students in 6th grade.
Chloe A.
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think this book gives lot of information but is sad too. When I read the book it made me feel empathy for many innocent animals who are killed by humans for food, display, money, and more:( I recommend this book for grades 4+.
Becca Buckman
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Bull elk, sea turtles, elephants and tigers are starting to find themselves on the endangered species list faster than any scientists could have previously imagined. From the Scientist in the Series genre of junior books, The Wildlife Detectives: How Forensic Scientists Fight Crimes Against Nature written by Donna M. Jackson and featuring photographs by Wendy Shattil and Bob Rozinski describes the incredible increase of America’s endangered species list. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Forensics Labo ...more
Wallace Johnson
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Genre: I think that this title fits well in the nonfiction, informational genre because it is filled with a large amount of data about several endangered animals in the wild.

Summary: Charger was a magnificently huge and beautiful male elk that weighed nearly 800 pounds that lived at Yellowstone National Park. During mating season, people from all over would come to take pictures of this wonderful creature until one night when he was killed illegally by poachers.

Critique: (a.) In this title, the
Jim Erekson
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational
This was one of the earliest titles in the Scientists in the Field series. In some decisions, the editors were still finding their way, but in other ways they set the tone that has made these books interesting across decades. The best thing about this book is the specific story line about wildlife forensics tracking down a specific Yellowstone elk poacher. It's a clear journalistic story, and it follows a direct line of investigation down to the conviction of the poacher.

It was 2000, so the poa
Alicia
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
So simple but very intriguing, this story showcases animal forensic science where detectives solve crimes against animals. The story focuses on one in particular, Charger, an Elk in Yosemite, beloved by all enthusiasts, but is killed and his antlers removed. Then detectives work to solve the crime using all of the technology at their disposal, leading to prosecution.

Interfiled within the story are highlights of the most endangered and sought after animals like bald eagles, tigers, elephants, et
Sarah George
Dec 02, 2013 added it
Shelves: tled-642
1. Non-fictional/Informational

2. This Scientists in the Field book is about the unnecessary killing of animals for their goods. We are able to get an inside look at how scientists catch poachers and put a stop to their killing.

3. a. Informational
b. There is good and very useful information in this book.
c. The photographs provided in this book allow us to feel a connection with the animals being poached and touches our emotions for the animals.

4. The curriculum connection for this book is Scien
Meredith
Apr 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Think of it as CSI: Yellowstone. A fascinating look at how laws against poaching, illegal hunting, and other crimes that deal with wildlife laws are enforced. It's also a sad commentary on why those laws continue to be broken. One of these day's I'm going to become vegan. They're driving me to it.
Tracy Holland
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting non fiction read about how wildlife detectives hunt down people who are illegally poaching, killing and trafficking animals. A lot of scientific information and vocabulary, but interesting to read how scientists are working to save animals from poor human behavior.
Sara
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
A smidge graphic in a few pictures-- a slain/bloody animal, and clothing made out of animal skins/heads-- but not bad. For slightly younger readers.
Marge
May 05, 2010 added it
Shelves: non-fiction
Story of Charger (Elk)who was killed by poachers - how the park rangers find out who was responsible using forensic evidence
Cee
Sep 02, 2015
Shaniyah
rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2018
Jul 06, 2014
Beverly
Feb 04, 2012
Ellen Moore
This book is a little more advanced and dense, but follows a fascinating non-fiction story of forensic scientists solving a crime against nature. The book introduces the topic of crimes against nature, and then features a specific crime, and tells the non-fiction story with cited quotes and real interviews. In between parts of the story, it also covers general topics related to crimes against nature, such as the process of confiscating illegal animal items. I think a student would benefit readin ...more
Marcy