Start by marking “The Flight of Dragons: The Fourth Tale from the Five Kingdoms” as Want to Read:
The Flight of Dragons: The Fourth Tale from the Five Kingdoms

The Flight of Dragons: The Fourth Tale from the Five Kingdoms (Tales from the Five Kingdoms #4)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  158 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
How long does a dragon’s egg take to hatch? Find out as this hilariously macabre series continues.

In this deadly funny fourth Tale from the Five Kingdoms, it’s Gracie Gillypot’s birthday, and Prince Marcus plans to show her a flight of dragons as a special gift. But when greedy, chocolate-hungry twins awaken the banished Old Malignant One, evil magic and Total Oblivion thr
Published April 24th 2012 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Flight of Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Flight of Dragons

Clare
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beloved by my daughter and not hard to see why - a ripping yarn with plenty of humour thrown in. Here's to the sixth and final book, "The Snarling of Wolves" being published soon!
Sandy
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book was really really good filled with excitement and adventure. I really love all the characters in it and the whole book is just wooooaaawaah and yah. I really really love this book and I think more people should read it. I mean everyone MUST read it because everything in the books are all sooo adorable.
Nicola Mansfield
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reason for Reading: next in the series.

Book 4 in this series returns us to the original delight of Book 1, Robe of Skulls. Books 2 and 3 were very enjoyable too, but both1 & 4 have that special something about them. This time around dragons are seen flying around the borders of the Five Kingdoms. They were banished 8o years ago and this brings concern when it is figured that they may be looking for a dragon egg getting ready to hatch. Prince Marcus and Gracie Gillypot go on another adventure
Brett
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fantasy
Readers of E.D. Baker's "Tales of the Frog Princess" will greatly enjoy this fairy-tale series set in the realm of the Five Kingdoms & centering on the adventures of Gracie Gillypot, a girl so genuine & kind that there's a term for her - Trueheart. Gracie has her hands full helping three old crones keep the Five Kingdoms safe & free of trouble of the evil sort. In this installment, things have taken a turn for the worse in the Kingdom of Niven's Knowe, where a truly evil creature kno ...more
Heather
Definitely not the strongest story in the series, but I still enjoy all the characters. My favorite in this book was Gubble, although the boy who follows him at the end also turned out to be rather interesting.

I don't remember if we learned Gracie's and Marcus's ages in one of the earlier books, but I can't figure out whether they ought to be 12 or 15 or somewhere in between. I would guess on the younger end, but with Marcus's twin Arry practically courting, I am not so sure. It shouldn't make
Phoebe
The Five Kingdoms, bordered on all sides by monsters and other undesirables, protected and watched over by the Ancient Crones, is once again under threat, this time by an amorphous evil called Old Malignancy. It all begins when newlywed Princess Fedora insists on exercising her authority and fires all the servants. A series of mishaps and unfortunate events pave the way for a new cook to arrive, one whose food is so amazing that it causes stupor and an insatiable craving for more. The cook's act ...more
Jeanette Glazewski
I have mixed reviews of this book. I will say I have not read the rest of the series. I came across this book looking up dragon books so I grabbed it. I was disappointed there was hardly anything about dragons really. It was one of those situations when you look at a title and wonder where exactly is this going but at the same time, I did enjoy the characters. The twins are a bit creepy but they do fit into the story well.
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is so much fun! A perfect, light-hearted mix of silliness, suspense, and loopy characters. French's seemingly effortless writing style keeps the plots interesting and moving. And I never thought a family of bats and a mentally-challenged troll could become favorite characters in a book. It's fantasy that entertains and brings a smile, and even on occasion warms the heart.
John
Dragon sightings and the arrival of an evil cook at the palace of Niven's Knowe portend trouble for the Five Kingdoms, but Gracie and Marcus take care of it all without much ado. This series started out strong, but to me there's a lot of same-old same-old to the latest episode, as well as a distinct lack of the clever sorts of twists that animate earlier outings. Alas!
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, fairy
The fourth in the Tales from the Five Kingdoms series, this is an excellent series for middle school students. Dragons return to the Five Kingdoms after being banned for too many years. As with most books in a series, I recommend reading them in order so you know the back story.
Erika Baewer
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't quite as amazing as the other novels. At times, it felt like two different stories were being forcibly mashed together; two stories that were each great on their own, but together, didn't make much sense.
Chris
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gracie and Marcus get a little closers in this 4th book in the series. A new bag guy, grandfather to a pair of evil twins is trying to get back into the 5 kingdoms. he must be stopped so enter Gracie and Marcus to save the day again...right? Maybe not...better raff the book to find out.
PWRL
Jul 05, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
O
Malika
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My friend lent me that book, oh and it was amazing, I finished it rapidely, I actually devoured it. The writer Vivian French knows how to relate a story and keep you focused in an amazing manner.
Kim Gontarz
Gracie on her birthday must stop the Malignant One who was awakened by twins who are his grandchildren. A long forgotten dragon's egg holds the key to everything and Gracie must find it.
James
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
ok, the charm of these books is wearing off... maybe i should be reading them here and there, not all at once... still, they are cute and funny, but a bit heavy on miscellany...
Karen
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At last! This book is just as strong, entertaining, intriguing and charming as the first book. This book makes me want to find the last two to read them.
Kait
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love love love theses books I don't care if they're meant for younger readers! I love them!!
Meg
Aug 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the characters - especially Gubble - but I thought the villain showdown was a bit anti climactic.
Dolores
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 4 in the series. I really enjoy this series. Lots of humor, adventure and fun characters.
RedEye_Witch
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
A very fantastic journey, again by Vivian French. Hopefully there would be more. And I would be waiting for it.
Bookworm062
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a really funny book in my opinion and the starts a tiny bit boring but if your a person that gets bored easily please im begging u give this book a chance it will be worth it
Jack
Cara Marie
rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Fang of the Vampire (Scream Street, #1)
  • The High Skies Adventures of Blue Jay the Pirate
  • White Crane (Samurai Kids, #1)
  • Welcome to the Bed and Biscuit
  • Ivy Takes Care
  • Soonchild
  • The Wishbird
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #2)
  • The Land of Green Ginger
  • The Sky Village (Kaimira, #1)
  • Toby and the Secrets of the Tree (Tobie Lolness, #2)
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Ottoline at Sea (Ottoline, #3)
  • Sea Monsters and Other Delicacies (An Awfully Beastly Business, #2)
  • The Witches of Dredmoore Hollow
  • 100% Wolf
  • Phantom of Blood Alley (Barnaby Grimes, # 4)
  • Riddle of Green (Little Fur, #4)
Vivian French was best known in school for being extremely skinny and for talking a lot. At school she developed an attachment to words and later became an actor, then a storyteller, and finally a writer of children's books. She is the author of more than two hundred books. Ms. French lives in Edinburgh, Scotland, and has four grown daughters.
More about Vivian French...

Tales from the Five Kingdoms (5 books)
  • The Robe of Skulls (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Bag of Bones (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #2)
  • The Heart of Glass  (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #3)
  • The Music of Zombies (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #5)