Start by marking “Punishment” as Want to Read:
Punishment

Punishment

(Vik & Stubø #1)

One afternoon after school, nine-year-old Emilie doesn't come home. Her father finds the backpack from her late mother, that would never be abandoned willingly. A week later, a five-year-old boy goes missing. And then another child.

Meanwhile, Johanne Vik, a former FBI profiler with a troubled past and a difficult young daughter, tries to overturn a decades-old false murde
Kindle Edition, UK edition, 416 pages
Published July 1st 2011 by Corvus (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Punishment, please sign up.

Start your review of Punishment
Lynda
description
"Now you've got what you deserved".

Scandinavia is one of the birthplaces of crime fiction. With novels selling millions of copies from Norway, Sweden and Denmark, it is easy to see why they have attributed a loyal fan base, with many published works being adapted for the big and small screen. Novelists and Nordic natives like Jo Nesbø, Hakan Nesser and Hanning Mankell are regularly touted the best in the business.

Child abduction and murder is at the cornerstone of this novel, my first of 2017 a
Rachel Hall
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Punishment (entitled What Is Mine in the US) is the first in the series which sees Detective Inspector Adam Stubo of the Oslo police pairing up with university lecturer and former FBI recruit, Johanne Vik. Already very successful in Europe, the first in this series is an absolutely enthralling novel which grasps the reader from the first few pages when a child in abducted and sets in motion a sinister sequence of abductions and murders which strikes fear into the heart of every parent in Norway. ...more
Louise
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This decidedly creepy thriller is based on the abduction of a series of children and goes back and forth between perspectives: abductor, abductee, investigator... Holt paints a chillingly normal portrait of all the characters - the villain, reluctant hero, police, children are all just normal folk. Their motivations and ultimate actions are occasionally shocking, but the characters feel like someone you know.

Although there are strands of many stories woven expertly in this novel, the main thread
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
My View:
What a fabulous read! Chapter one and a child is abducted, immediately the heart quickens, the tension on the page is palpable, the tension I am feeling is sky high. Works of crime fiction where the victims are children are never an easy read – Anne Holt however has managed to write her victims (and their deaths) with a sensitivity that gave me permission to continue reading and to enjoy this well written narrative.

Well rounded characters, multiple viewpoints, historical crime and curre
Bridgette Redman
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The United States has no monopoly on the thriller genre. This is something Europeans, in particular Norwegians, have known for some time. But then, they’ve been reading Anne Holt for years.

Anne Holt is one of Norway’s most successful crime writers and her most recent book What is Mine is making its U.S. debut this year.

What is Mine is a serial killer crime novel, the first in what is to be a series featuring Johanne Vik and Adam Stubo, both middle-aged professionals who are caught up in a seri
Lobstergirl
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pete Sampras
I was quite surprised to find out this was the first book in the series, since mystery writers normally supply you with a decent amount of the back story of their crime fighters/mystery solvers. This on the other hand was very in medias res. For example, I still have no idea what the protagonist, ex-FBI profiler Johanne Vik, looks like. I don't think Holt ever described her physically (whereas we get plenty of commentary about her male counterpart, Detective Inspector Adam Stubo's, physical appe ...more
Teri
Feb 22, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really hate a DNF but this is definitely one I just can't make myself keep reading. I gave it a good 100 pages and it's just so hard to read. The names are hard for me so I have been renaming all the characters just to try to get the book to flow better. That didn't work though and it's just dragging along. I'm not too fond of some of the happenings in the book either so I just plain ol give up it's time to move onto something I will enjoy more.
Karen
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first of the Johanne Vik & Adam Stubø books, PUNISHMENT, is now available in paperback locally. An excellent crime fiction series by Norwegian author Anne Holt, this has been a series that could be (well had to be) read out of order. Now there's something compelling about being able to go back to the start, and work your way through.

Originally read by this reviewer back in 2007, when it was newly translated, PUNISHMENT is the novel that introduces an unusual investigative (ultimately persona
Ken
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime, thriller
I've been reading a lot of SciFi and Fantasy lately and it's been a while since I've read any good thrillers so I decided to take a break with a Crime Fiction novel. Punishment also known as What is Mine is the first book in a Norwegian series featuring former FBI profiler Johanne Vik. What started off as an exciting story about kidnapped children and a crazed killer, only to be let down by a series of disappointing events that are too convenient and coincidental.

Joanne Vik was brought into the
Lynda Kelly
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I really enjoyed this one, the first in the Vik series. I've been reading the Hanne series and greatly enjoying them and was half wishing I wouldn't get them mixed up but they're both extremely different women so there's no danger of that. One thing I did especially notice was the translator for this series goes with English spellings which I prefer.
Something I wondered at which was probably a mistake was that chapter 15 in the table of contents was written this way but all the other chapters we
Sharon Mensing
Jun 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first in the Stubo and Vik series set in Norway. Stubo is a policeman who has recently lost both his wife and daughter, and Vik is a female lecturer on criminology who has a mentally handicapped daughter. Stubo courts Vik, first professionally to help with a series of abductions and murders of children, and then personally. The developing relationship between the two is touchingly mature and characteristically (for Scandinavian literature) reserved, and it forms the backdrop for the search f ...more
Sharon
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ibook, purchased
The Vik/Stubø series. 2001 Det som er mitt (What is Mine/Punishment. iBook. 5/5+++
What a writer! How is it possible I've only discovered her even though I've been reading Scandinavian authors for two decades!? The first series, I thoroughly enjoy reading. And this the Stubo/Vik series is truly excellent writing. This is the first of five and a lot of time has been given to introduction to the characters before and now, when they come into each other's lives. There are two huge cases, a cold case
Richard
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A chilling read, a dark and disturbing thriller but a compelling story. Perhaps it is good to remind one that this is crime fiction as the subject matter is unsettling and the facts of the case unspeakable.
However the narrative never dwells on the sensationalism, it is written about with compassion and a degree of empathy, reflected in in flawed relationships of our central characters and their personal tragedies.
Some of the thoughts and voice given to the children in the story reminded me of bi
Sheila
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great story. I love the Scandanavian crime/mystery noir and this was one of the finest. This took place in Norway. Children are disappearing and then being found dead with no apparent cause of death. A policeman seeks the help of a college professor who has written a paper on "profiling". She has had no experience in the field so to speak and things get up close and personal when she is sought out by Detective Stubo for her insights. Excellent story. I will read more by this author for su ...more
Todd
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another mildly depressing police/detective/psychodramas from Scandinavia. I swear, despite what Marina told me, I don't think anyone in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, or Russia ever smiles let alone laughs or has a good time. But, the book is good...good like it feels after you recover from having hit your thumb with a hammer.
Cinthia Karina  Martinez
Sep 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
The book is about a serial killer with no heart . Who kidnappes little kids and than cruely kills them and than sends notes to there mother's saying " you got what you deserve " its a great book i loved it and i truly recommend it.
Ken Fredette
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good story. It comes from a true story that actually happened in Norway. Anne changed the story to make it readable and interesting. She did an outstanding job.
Hermien
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure about the ending but otherwise a good read.
Antonomasia
Jun 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Antonomasia by: low price
I wanted to read crime fiction, and whilst The Murder of Halland was a good book (it was the only crime novel I had in the house, with the possible exception of the Peter Grant comic fantasy series), I craved a more traditional plot. A few years ago I enjoyed Holt's 1222, so looked for other Hanne Wilhelmsen novels, but this, the first in her Johanne Vik series, was about half the price.

This is part of the appeal of genre, patterns of events which recur like the steps of an old dance – I know I
Anna
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a smart, well written book with interesting, believable characters. Even though it's not overly thin, I read it in one sitting and will absolutely look for more material by Anne Holt.

It's not perfect. The perpetrators motive and set of mind are outlined but not explained in enough depth, at least for me. There is one coincidence too many - I get that symmetry at the end, but it seems a bit far fetched, especially when you see it coming from the moment he decides to get the colour. But ev
Lesley Moseley
Can't believe I bothered to read it all. Ugly people always doing disgusting nasal things...
Karen
Jul 02, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, scandinavian
PUNISHMENT is the first in a newly translated, extremely successful series in Europe, featuring academic and former FBI profiler Johanne Vik and Detective Inspector Adam Stubo of the Oslo police.

When 9 year old Emilie goes missing her father is worried but not frantic. She'd done this once before just after her mother died. This time, they don't find her. When a little boy disappears and ultimately is returned to his parents; dead, no obvious cause of death, and a handwritten note: You Got What
Pat
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book by Anne Holt that I have read and I was seriously impresses. It dealt with a sensitive subject, child abductions, but didn't sensationalise it. Of course with a name like Anne Holt you wouldn't think Scandinavian fiction straight away but, with a typical Scandi crime low key approach, the book sucked you in slowly. It was peopled by some pretty normal seeming characters, I loved how Vik was so reluctant to take this case on. Although there was not a huge amount of action p ...more
Lukasz Pruski
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Far from a literary masterpiece, it is a solid and engrossing crime novel, kind of a police procedural about the search for a serial child abductor in Norway. A parallel plot is about reaching into the past to search for justice for a wrongly convicted and imprisoned man. The ending is too nice and elegant, the characters feel only about 50% real, and there are constant references to (extremely overused and misunderstood concept of) "profiling", yet, it is still a very good read.
Paul Vernon
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, the characters are believable and interesting. I have read Anne Holt before but decided to read this series after watching "Modus" which is based on one of the books in the series.
Maureen
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of twists and turns. A great read.
Alexandra Mills
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. Definitely going to read her next one.
Caitlin
A young girl goes missing after school. A week later, a young boy goes missing. Then another child. Stubo, a police investigator feels compelled by this case and needs to solve it. He looks for help from Johannesburg Vik, a former profiler, for aid. Meanwhile, Vik is working on overturning an old murder charge that she feels was a false convinction, and she’s torn between working on the two cases.

What is Mine is the first book I’ve read from Anne Holt, and one I was fairly excited for. I’ve hea
Tricia
Mike Cuthbert
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne Holt is called “the godmother of Norwegian crime fiction” with good reason. Her stable series of books have consistently led readers into the world of Norwegian violence. Like many Nordic Noir writers, Holt focuses on children as victims. In this example, a girl named Emilie is locked away in a basement cubicle with fresh air occasionally and tasteless meals frequently—my favorite was corn flakes and water! Then begins a series of kidnappings only this time the victims are killed. A relucta ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• He Who Fears the Wolf (Konrad Sejer, #3)
  • Death Angels (Inspector Winter, #1)
  • The Blood Spilt (Rebecka Martinsson, #2)
  • Misterioso (A-gruppen, #1)
  • Midvinterblod
  • Prime Time (Annika Bengtzon, #3)
  • Black Seconds (Konrad Sejer, #6)
  • Sprängaren (Annika Bengtzon, #4)
  • The Return (Inspector Van Veeteren #3)
  • En helt annan historia (Barbarotti #2)
  • Whiteout (Dark Iceland #5)
  • The Fourth Man (Gunnarstranda & Frølich, #5)
  • My Soul to Take (Þóra Guðmundsdóttir, #2)
  • Death Spiral (Maria Kallio #5)
  • Victim 2117 (Department Q, #8)
  • Cell 8 (Grens & Sundkvist, #3)
  • Sun Storm (Rebecka Martinsson, #1)
  • Rupture (Dark Iceland #4)
Anne Holt was born in Larvik, grew up in Lillestrøm and Tromsø, and moved to Oslo in 1978. She graduated with a law degree from the University of Bergen in 1986, and went on to work for The Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK) and then the Oslo Police Department, earning her right to practice as a lawyer in Norway. In 1990 she returned to NRK, where she worked one year as a journalist and anch ...more

Vik & Stubø (5 books)
  • What Never Happens (Vik & Stubø, #2)
  • Presidentens valg (Vik & Stubø #3)
  • Fear not (Vik & Stubø, #4)
  • Skyggedød (Vik & Stubø #5)