Start by marking “Out of the Ballpark” as Want to Read:
Out of the Ballpark

Out of the Ballpark

Before he hit 400 home runs...
Before he was named
American League MVP...
Before he was AROD to
millions of fans...
He was Alex.

Just a kid who wanted to play baseball more than anything else in the world.

Baseball superstar Alex Rodriguez has drawn on his own childhood experiences to create this exciting picture book. It's the story of a boy named Alex who knows what it's like
Published February 6th 2007 by HarperCollins (first published February 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Ballpark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Ballpark

Start your review of Out of the Ballpark
Amy Brown
This book is written by Alex Rodriquez, a Yankee baseball player that is very popular. Because of that popularity, I think kids and parents will like the book. The story is pretty routine and predictable but the illustrations are unique and there are photographs of Alex and his family at the end of the book.
Stephanie Wilkinson
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Biography. This autobiography by Alex Rodriguez could be a great book to get some students interested in reading who might not like it otherwise. Because it is about a famous athlete, it will speak to a different crowd of students. It's also an entertaining read that will keep students engaged but shares real experiences that A-Rod had as a child. ...more
George Ginnis
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book is based on a fictional description of the youth Alex Rodriguez playing baseball. Alex illustrated a love for the game of baseball and willingness to work to improve. Although, Alex was nervous he never shied away from playing the game. He wanted the opportunity to be successful and in this fictional story (and in real life), he eventually was.
Anthony
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
The earlier exploits of Alex Rodriquez and his love of baseball, and his first championship victory. He focuses on his hard work, and dedication to always get better at playing the game, and applying it to everything you do in life.
Marilyn
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fictional but inspirational story written by Alex Rodriguez and based on his life. It is beautifully illustrated and contains a note by Alex Rodrigues and photographs of him as a boy and young baseball player at the end of the booik.
Dominick Marshall
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
A story about a kid who wants to be the best baseball player ever but just keeps messing up so he wakes up earlier and tries harder just to become the best and win the championship game
Debbie
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the illustrations. Bonus surprise at the end with the family pictures.
Kelly
A.Rod wrote a book about baseball. Huh.
J-Lynn Van Pelt
This story shows the dedication and love of a sport. The young, "fictionalized" Alex Rodriguez gets up early to practice baseball and does well in school so that he can be a championship little league player. The final page with Alex hitting a grand slam is the ultimate baseball ending.

In the back of the book, Alex Rodriguez writes a note to the young readers about how he was successful in life. There is also a photo album showing Alex growing up, his best friend J.D. who is a character in the b
Ellen
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
If not for the disappointing decisions ARod made as a professional, I would give this book a higher rating. My child picked this book at the library insisting we read it because it was about baseball. The story itself is a good one. However, it forced an honest discussion with my child about whether ARod is a worthy role model.
Corinne
Aug 25, 2009 rated it did not like it
We got this book because we thought it would be a fun little sports story we could read to Darin. IT WASN'T! I've never read a more boring children's story in my life, I swear! Nothing interesting happens. There's nothing different about this story. It's just your average "hey, we were in the big game and won" story. There's nothing special. ...more
Elizabeth
Jun 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was a terrific book in praise of tenacity and hard work. The end pages are the best because the baseball player, Alex Rodriguez, attributes his success to diligence and encourages others to work hard, too!
Richard
Jun 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, fiction
Really nicely illustrated and some great advice for young kids. I was reminded of my own young experiences playing ball as a kid. I can almost smell the grass.
Allisa Zamarripa-Garza
Love this book!!!
Cameron
It was so good. When I was 5, I read it every night before bed.
Tricia
Jan 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
written by/about/for alex rodriguez. lots of words. kinda dull. maybe would give to a boy who specifically was interested in baseball.
Savannah
Apr 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
Baseball superstar Alex Rodriguez writes this book that you can read to a student who loves the sport or maybe to your class right before a field trip to a baseball game.
Jackie DeStefano
Jul 16, 2017
Lindsay
Oct 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• Shark Lady: The True Story of How Eugenie Clark Became the Ocean's Most Fearless Scientist
  • Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears
  • Bearded: A Very Hairy Children's Book
  • Not Quite Black And White (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Dog Who Belonged to No One
  • Chicken Little
  • The Dumpster Diver
  • The Summer of Riley
  • A Death in Belmont
  • Cherry Scones & Broken Bones (A Very Cherry Mystery #2)
  • Lisey's Story
  • Amber Was Brave, Essie Was Smart
  • Is There No Place on Earth for Me?
  • The Confession
  • Dear Blue Sky
  • Timeline
  • Valentine
  • All the Lovely Bad Ones
Alexander Emmanuel Rodriguez, commonly nicknamed A-Rod, is a natural-born American citizen of Dominican ancestry. He is best known as a power-hitting third baseman for the New York Yankees baseball club, after having played shortstop for the Seattle Mariners and Texas Rangers.

Since 1996, his first full season, through 2007 he leads Major League Baseball in home runs (HR), runs scored, runs batted