Start by marking “I Love My Hair!” as Want to Read:
I Love My Hair!

I Love My Hair!

No matter how gently Mama pulls as she combs Keyana's hair, it still hurts. Keyana doesn't feel lucky to have such a head of hair, but Mama tells her she is because she can wear it any way she chooses.
Published February 1st 1998 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about I Love My Hair!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love My Hair!

Mariah Roze
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great book that easily explains all the options there is for doing hair. Also, it makes every style sounds awesome and beautiful. Very young girl self-empowerment.
James
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A little but important and empowering book - obviously as the title tells us, this is all about girls loving their hair, despite the pain that all that brushing and combing can involve.

Fun illustrations, accessible and meaningful for kids and a great resource for parents of young girls.
Haji
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-c-literature
I think this is an awesome book and a true mirror book for me! This would be a great book to teach about diversity, it is a very true example of what most little African American girls go through when getting our hair combed. It also explains how different are hair is and that we can change it as often as we like. Keyana's, mother in the book, uses different illustrations for different hair styles such as "or I can part your hair into straight lines and plant rows of braids along your scalp, the ...more
Lindsey
In this book, the little girl finds pride in her hair and all the ways that she can fix it.

I would use this book to teach diversity. I could use it during black history month or just in general to teach differences. It also teaches to be happy in the skin you're in.
Teré Mashburn
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: educ-378
Text-to-Self Connection:

This book reminds me of my childhood plenty. As a young girl my mother had to take care of my hair. Just like Keyana, my mother or grandmother would sit me between her legs as the moisturized my scalp and styled my hair. As a child I usually dreaded getting my hair done. At times it was unpleasant, especially if my hair was sometimes snagged while combing out tangled areas.

I love the how Keyana came to understand that her hair allowed so many diverse styles. As a child,
Tc
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feelings
This is a terrific book with lovely illustrations. I can see this book being used for text-to-self comparisons. Every little girl hates having her hair brushed no matter what type of hair. It would be terrific to just read this book without having an emphasis on differences, but similarities. This would be a lot of fun to use as a language/literacy and arts lesson. Print pictures of all students and have them each use supplies to make different hair on themselves. They can then write about their ...more
Morgan Patton
Feb 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Love My Hair is the story of a young black girl who learns to find pride in her hair, even though it hurts sometimes when her mother combs it.

This book was excellent at showing the different expressions and emotions that African American girls have in real life when it comes to their hair. It also connects to all children, teaching them to love who they are and where they come from.
Robyn Watt
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family, self-esteem
wonderful book, a great way to have children look at the difference in hair and hairstyles,bring in mannequin heads and have the children pretend to be in the barbershop and hair salon and style the hair on the mannequins, the next day their can be a hair show, showcasing all the styles
Gianni Llano
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book tells the story of a young girl who learns to accept her hair. As females, we all have to learn to embrace ourselves, which is why I recommend this book be read to all young girls.
Sara
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This is a heartwarming story about a little girl and the reasons why she loves her hair. Sometimes though, having her hair brushed can be painful and Keyana doesn't like her hair then. But her Mama tells her how beautiful her hair is, and as she fixes Keyana's hair, she tells her stories of the past. Keyana tells her own stories about the reasons why she loves her hair, and through her stories we are transported into a world of dreams, belonging, and becoming!
This is great read-aloud for young c
Evelyn
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A wonderful story of acceptance for a very real important detail in the lives of young girls, their hair. This book shows the beauty in difference and can help girls to feel confident in themselves. The picture and text relationships that Natasha provides can really help to create a sense of identity and adventure for any girl that thinks their hair is more of a burden than a gift. Great read for young readers.

(Seen as an ebook.)
SaraLaLa
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
As the title of this book implies, it celebrates a little girl's hair. It touches on how she and her mom bond over the maintenance of her hair (even though it can hurt when her mom brushes it) and how she can wear it in a variety of styles. The afro has history behind it but she likes to wear it with beads and hear the beads clacking together.
Brittany Houston
This book promotes healthy and positive self-esteem and cultural identity. Children should feel comfortable with who they are, in order to feel comfortable enough to learn and play in a classroom setting.
Jorden
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a good book to have in the classroom to add a multicultural aspect. This shows how being african american is wonderful.
Marisa Severin
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent to teach young African american children about self-love. It teaches one to appreciate who they are. It was also wonderfully illustrated. I love it.
Laura (Book Scrounger)
Included in this blog series highlighting some great books for Black History Month:
Courtney Gilmore
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVE the story as well as the illustrations throughout the book!
Christine Valle
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is told from a little girl's point of view as her mother creates different hairstyles for her. The little girl discusses which hairstyles she likes best, how they make her feel, and the tricks her mother uses when styling her hair. She is proud of the hair she has and it makes her feel like she can fly!

I think this book is a wonderful book to read aloud to children because it discusses the important of being unique. The little girl in the story found so many wonderful hairstyles that o
Rikki Powers
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for teaching body positivity and acceptance of natural hair. It starts by describing care given to african hair, and then the following pages are about accepting and loving her beautiful hair. It also mentions bullying, a very real problem, but the adult takes time to reinforce the beauty lf natural hair. Great message. It can be read to young children or read independently by children in upper elementary grades.
Janet
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely title that depicts hair care and style options for young African American girls. Especially note that oil is being applied to the hair and there is a bonding experience happening between Mother and child as the hair care is accomplished. A good cross cultural title to learn about hair care that perhaps differs from ones own hair.
Tabatha Mulkey
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-1-10
Summary: Kenyana knows she has special hair and she loves it. This book is to make all African American girls to feel good about their hair and love it even though it is different.

Evaluation: I like this book because it is simple, but powerful. It means a lot for an African American little girl to know she is different, but still feel good about herself. I think this could have a huge impact!!

Teaching Idea: I would let my African American students read this book so they could feel good about th
Spencer Jones
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book because it shows diversity and how diversity is important in our lives. I love the illustrations and how they connected to the other images and they really stuck out. I also think this book is important because young children often make fun of other’s hair and this book teaches that we don’t have to be ashamed of it. This book is realistic fiction and is in the 1st-5th grade range
Carley Trumbower
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 40-class-books
Multicultural, published 2001
This is a book about a little girl who gets made fun of for her African hair. Her mom teaches her that her hair is beautiful and unique and she becomes proud of it in the end. This would be a great story to read to the class if they are having an issue with someone personal style.
Natasha Jones
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
“I love my hair because it is thick as a forest, soft as cotton candy, and curly as a vine winding upward, reaching the sky and climbing toward outer space. (n.p.) Keyana, a young African American girl, takes us on a journey explaining why she loves her hair. Although others don't quite get it, she remains sure that her hair is beautiful. Self love and having a good self esteem is very important especially for young black girls.

The author lets those outside the black community get a through the
Khala Lee
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book, along with I Love My Haircut, offer realistic depictions of what it is like to be a black child with thick, afro textured hair. The book starts off with the main character's mother doing her hair. The little girl describes how her mother tugs away at he curls with the comb to detangle the kinks, and from the descriptive choice of words to the girl's pained face in the illustrations, I, along with millions of other black women and girls, could relate. We have all cried a few times from ...more
Erika
I Love My Hair! By Natasha Anastasia Tarpley is a book level 3.3

Summary: This story starts off with a little girl getting her hair combed out by her mother, it gets very painful but her mom reminds her of how lucky she is to have this hair. She then goes into all the different ways she can wear her hair and how much she loves that she can do this. This book is a great way to boost the confidence of little kids who may feel insecure about the differences they have.

Book Genre: I added this book
Kieana Smith
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Since desegregation of schools in the 1960s, our schools have become enriched with many different cultures, ethnicities and races. Understanding the concept of diversity at an early age will help children acknowledge and accept the differences that might not be similar to their lifestyle. The importance of self-awareness is demonstrated in’ I Love My Hair” by Natasha Anastasia Tarpley, Exhibiting descriptive details and also using realistic artistic approaches using pictures that shows the young ...more
Sherillyn Ramsey
Meaningful topic! The topic of hair is a very traditional one. The book can be used to open up discussions about self images children have.
TAKISHIA
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I Love My Hair is a beautifully written contemporary book about an African American girl's acceptance of her hair. This book won the Coretta Scott King award. I can relate to this story because I hated getting my hair done as a little girl! The book was written for children from age 3 through 8. The book is beautifully illustrated, and I loved the picture of the hair accessories that we grew to either love or hate as a child. This book brought back memories for me and will do the same for most r ...more
Geneva