Start by marking “The Killables (The Killables, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Killables (The Killables, #1)

The Killables

(The Killables #1)

Everyone accepted that people were different physically. But inside? Inside, they were different too. You just had to know how to tell, what to look for. Evil has been eradicated. The City has been established. And citizens may only enter after having the 'evil' part of their brain removed. They are labelled on the System according to how 'good' they are. If they show ...more
Published March 29th 2012 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about The Killables, please sign up.
Teresa Domino im half way through the book now and i hate how stupid raff is. he is with these campers that obviously know what theyre doing but he just wants to…moreim half way through the book now and i hate how stupid raff is. he is with these campers that obviously know what theyre doing but he just wants to run away and get killed (less)

Start your review of The Killables (The Killables, #1)
Jilly
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopia, y-a
All of the dystopian boxes were checked: love triangle, controlled city with dangerous people outside, evil "leader", caste system, arranged marriages. And, there were many borrowed elements: the leader was called the "Brother", as in Big Brother like 1984; having too many emotions was considered dangerous, as in Delirium; and teenagers were "Matched" - that word Matched was even used - by their parents, to be married.
As a matter of fact, every part of the story felt familiar and overused.

same old same old photo: Same old, same old realitycheck02-1.gif
Meg
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, 2012reads
What a hot mess. Why does every YA dystopian read need a love triangle? Why was there zero character development? What is the point of Raffy beyond constantly being annoying? Why does the timeline for this book seriously not work in my head? Why is the main character named Evie when V for Vendetta got there first? (This seriously bothered me the entire book because when I hear the name Evie my brain automatically reads it in Hugo Weaving's voice, so.)

The only reason this wasn't a one star read
Michelley
Jul 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
If I knew this book was written by Gemma Malley and that the research blurb at the beginning of the book is referenced from freaking Wikipedia (lol, who does that, really? A published author who uses Wikipedia as their main source?) I wouldn't have wanted to read this book.

I only picked it up because it was a Goodreads Recommendation and I initially thought the premise was interesting enough to take a stab (no puns intended) at this novel. I never had high expectations for dystopians, knowing
Booknut
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This. Book. Was. Amazing! The Killables, a definite must-read by Gemma Malley, came into my possession on one of my frequent trips to buy out my local Dymocks. I was searching the shelves for something good to read when BAM. There it was. I had read the Declaration, and loved it, and I was intrigued by the blurb so I decided to give it a try.

An excellent Dystopian novel. Evie's struggle for understanding - to come to terms with whether or not the laws and regulations of the society she has known
Tiffany
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was ok

I only give this book three stars because I'm intrigued by the plot itself. I was thoroughly confused about why the book ended where it did, but I can live with that.

What I cannot live with is how much I actively hated some of the characters, Raffy in particular. His character never progresses past a possessive, petulant child and I found myself actively rolling my eyes at his constant whining. I understand the plot tries to set it up as he was young and believed his whole life that his
Tamara
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
This would have been a really good read if the writing was much better and all forms of development were more you know, developed....

Idea: Excellent
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: dystopian
*Contains slight spoilers*

The book that started my love for Dystiopian fiction. My school libary had Gemma Malley come to our school a week before the release of The Killables to promote it, i was lucky to attend and the book just sounded fantastic.

It was a great read, the introduction to the City wasn't overdone but covered enough so the story wasn't confusing. Evie's character was likable as you understood her situation and felt for her because of the pressing laws of the City.

Raffy was a
Ella
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is now my all time favourite book, it incorparates every possible level into it, Romance, Action, Fantasy, everything, i love the way the book makes you feel deeply for each and every character and has you in the same position as Evie, and i love the way that everything you read and thought in the beginning turns out to be a lie, but you don't know it when your reading it becasue you believe what Evie believes, the book finishes at i massive cliffhanger and especially the taster from ...more
Alli
Jun 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya-dystopian
Emma
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
Well, I think my five stars say enough since I rarely give five stars. I walked across this one in a bookstore in Amsterdam and the blurb sucked me right in. I thought the cover looked pretty fun and I was super excited to read it!
Well, I'm not gonna say what it is about, read the blurb and be surpised. But I think if you liked Divergent, her Declaration series and/or Delirium you'll love this one as well. If you didn't like those titles, well I hope you will still give it a shot. It's well
Kayleigh {K-Books}
May 04, 2014 rated it liked it
The Killables Review on K-Books

It's no surprise to anyone how much I adore dystopia novels. It's one of my favourite genres and I have read and loved every single dystopia book I have read. I have heard so much about Gemma Malley before and have heard her dystopia novels are amazing. This is the first book by Gemma Malley I have read and I was really impressed with her writing and ideas.

Evil has been eradicated. The part of the brain that has to do with emotion and aggression, the amygdala, has
Anne
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I seem to be irresistibly drawn to YA dystopian reads - and this was one of the best I've read in a long time, the beginning of a new series that looks like it will shape up to be every bit as good as The Declaration trilogy. Gemma Malley writes so well, and is expert at drawing a vivid world peopled with strong young characters. This one is set in The City - a walled society set up after the end of the Horrors, where the Evils lurk outside the gates and people's lives are ruled by the System ...more
Lucy
Oct 18, 2012 rated it liked it
I thought the idea of this book was amazing and so different however I don't think the way it came across fullfilled it full potential as how good it could have been. For example I found the book very slow and whenever something shocking was meant to be revealed it was said in such a boring and casual way that it made it less shocking and less exciting.

It would have been nice if we could have got to know how Raffy felt more as I felt I couldnt love the relationship between Raffy and Evie
Cate
Apr 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Things that made me give it one star: it is based on a wikipedia article, the 'scientific evidence' is taken out of context, the timeline doesn't fit, there is ZERO character development, the 'lovetriangle' is ridiculus, the main character is dispensable and lastly: I could not make myself care for anyone in this book.
It seemed like an interesting book but it completely fell flat. Thankfully it was a fast read because you could skip the endless pages of the main character rehashing her inner
Beverley
May 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
Intriguing plot, but so poorly written. There was no build up of the story, it seemed to be just thrown at you all at once. Lacked any suspense, and the plot could be guessed early on. I persevered, but will not be reading the sequel.
Shannon
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The theme of love within this book does my head in, and other than the main characters being ridiculously stupid at times, it is a great read.
Brodie
Oct 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
The basic premise reminded me a bit of Delirium... only completely opposite. In Delirium, people are cured of love by an operation to their brain. In The Killables, it's the same scenario, but with evil being the object of removal from a person. Every child at birth is forced to undergo the operation which removes the part of their brain that is said to be the source of evil - of corruption and ill desires. Citizens are ranked with a number - A, B, C, D or K. You want to be as close to A as ...more
Tenille Macgregor
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
***MINOR SPOLIERS***

Browsing through the bookshelves, I was looking for something new to read when I stumbled upon this little gem. The title was what originally caught my attention so I grabbed it off the shelf and flipped it over to find out a little bit more. I knew immediately after reading the premise of the story, that this was something I just had to read! So that day I bought myself a copy, and dug straight into it when I got home.
Now keep in mind I haven't read a lot of books told from
Brooke Walker
Jul 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I recently read the book 'The Killables' by Gemma Malley, because it caught my eye in the library and I thought it sounded interesting, and relates to the topic we're studying in English class. "The Killables" is a dystopian fiction, set in the future where a power-hungry man has established a 'city' in order to eradicate evil from the world - therefore leaving the people as mindless puppets to do his duties. He has told the people that everywhere else in the world has been destroyed, and is ...more
Gemma (Passion for Novels)
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Like my reviews? See more at http://passionfornovels.blogspot.co.uk/

I really enjoyed this book, it is an interesting take on a supposedly Utopian future world. Where the hero has to be convinced that the System is evil too. I can tell this triolgy of books is going to be really good and it has been set up for what I can imagine will be a very exciting second book. Malley has created a well developed world in this book and has left it open ready for the second one to take flight.

At the start it
Bex
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviews
If I had read The Killables when it was first published rather than now, after a whole host of incredible, original and addictive stories just like it had already graced my shelves, I think I would have liked it a lot more.

So with that in mind, let's talk about what's great about this book. The Killables is set in a time where everything runs by the book. If you have evil within you, they will find it (hidden in the part of the brain known as the amygdala) and they will eradicate it (meaning
Emy
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty good.It was not excellent,but I've still enjoyed it.I didn't really like the love relationship that Evie and Raphael had.I would have better chosen Lucas -by the way,this name is sooo common ! Why does every author use this name for the "perfect boy" ?.I would have chosen Lucas because Raphael seemed to be really annoying at some parts.I hated it when he didn't want to entertain Evie,as Lucas could do.I hated it when Raphael was getting angry too fast and it seemed just like ...more
Manda Graham
Feb 25, 2012 rated it liked it
I have read one book by Gemma Malley before, The Declaration, which I really enjoyed. The Killables is based around a really clever premise, but some how falls a bit flat. There were two reasons for this from my point of view: 1. the characters, particularly Lucas and Raffy just didn't come to life and Raffy inparticular seemed to sculk around like a moody teenager the majority of the time, I just couldn't see the attraction 2. the length of the book, it seemed to drift on during some of the ...more
Charley
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it
The plot for this book was amazing!! Fantastic idea. I loved it!!
It is such a shame that I could only give this book three stars because although the storyline was great, I neary did not even finish the book due to the characters being so unrelatable, especially Raffy. He always acted so immature and the fact that Evie still saw no fault in him, despite all the whining and tantrums he had annoyed me to the extent that I nearly shut the book!
But overall I am glad I kept reading and I hope to see
Kavita
Aug 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dystopia
Emily
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Molly Looby
Apr 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Before we begin, this is first of my book reviews. I will write a review every time I finish a book. If you want to see what I’m reading right now or any book I’ve already read this year, please look to the right-hand side of the screen where there is a book list. There are however, no other book reviews, as this is the first. I’d also like to just mention that every time I use an example I have found them in the novel – in this case ‘The Killables’ by Gemma Malley.

A Spoiler Free Bit About the
Rachael Mellor
Jan 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
D.n.f at page 192.
What a shit show. Having read Gemma malleys declaration series I was keen to read this, but the mere fact the book opened with a Wikipedia reference did not bode well. Here are the reasons I did not finish this book:
1. It's opens with a Wikipedia reference. The book is rife with scientific inaccuracies. The *least* she could have done is to get in touch with a neuroscientist or neuropsychologist and run these ideas by them, perhaps add some extra layers to the plot.
2. The book
Almas
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
My rating of this book would be about 4.50, I just can't get the star to be half a star so it's on the four. So when I saw this on my friend's bookshelf I was like 'oh my days' I want to read that book and the next thing she knew it was on the way to my house, finally I sat down and read the book this weekend, she'll be pleased to know. I've been a fan of Gemma Malley since I read her previous series, starting with The Decleration (If you haven't read them, I suggest you do!), probably one of ...more
Caroline
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a really good dystopian book. I’ve seen a lot of bad reviews, and sure there is a love triangle (again) but that’s one of the only faults of the book. I was hooked from the start, and soon fell in love with all three of the main characters. As for the wikipedia entry at the start, it just served to further the realistic(ish) setting. I really enjoyed reading this book, would recommend it highly.
Also, this is the first review I’ve written on Goodreads, which shows how much I
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Is this available on the nook? 2 5 Nov 17, 2013 07:24PM

• Undying (Unearthed, #2)
  • The Pardoner's Prologue and Tale
  • Tiger, Tiger
  • Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • Good Night, Mr. Tom
  • Fallen (Guardian Saga, #1)
  • The Double Edged Sword
  • A Toaster on Mars
  • The Darkangel (Darkangel Trilogy, #1)
  • Wings (Wings, #1)
  • Dead Ends
  • Emperor Mage (Immortals, #3)
  • Outpost (Razorland, #2)
  • Sleepless (Red Eye)
  • Take Back the Skies (Tellus, #1)
  • After Eden (Fallen Angels, #1)
  • Joker
  • Bred of Heaven: One man's quest to reclaim his Welsh roots

The Killables (3 books)
  • The Disappearances (The Killables, #2)
  • The System (Killables, #3)
“Imagination shows an ability to lie, to pretend the world is different than it is.” 9 likes
“La imaginación demuestra una habilidad para mentir, para pretender que el mundo es diferente de lo que realmente es.” 0 likes