Start by marking “The Duke's Dilemma” as Want to Read:
The Duke's Dilemma

The Duke's Dilemma

A Compromising Position

Miss Emily Haliburton could not hope to match her cousin Lady Lucinda Hargrave in either beauty or social standing. Certainly she could never compete with the lovely Lucinda for the hand of the devastatingly handsome, dauntingly demanding Lord Jared Tremayne Duke of Montford, who was on the hunt for a wife, after a reign as London's leading libertine
Published February 1996 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about The Duke's Dilemma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duke's Dilemma

Rane
Sep 01, 2010 rated it really liked it

Nadine Miller pens down a fun little trad with a high in the instep duke and how he gets his comeuppance from a plain firebrand.

The story isn't hardly new, but it was very fun, with our hero Jared, Duke of Montford who happen to turn 30 sees it as his duty and a promise to get marry have his heir and go on his merry way. Jared is a snob. He knows he's a pretty big fish to land and has his aunts throw a party in order for him to pick a fluffy bride and be done with it. Until he comes face to fa
Claudia
Don't get me wrong, this was a nice read but nevertheless there were some things I just did not understand: how did they come to love each other when they did not really spend that much time with each other?

There was a lot of potential in the characters, especially Jared and the aunts, but the book did not go through with it, which was a real shame. The same happened to the sparks: they were promising but not carried out

I liked the idea of the story although it reminded me a lot of another book
Ilze
Nadine Miller's "The Duke's Dilemma"
This book has received rave reviews on Amazon and Goodreads from people whose views I respect and normally completely agree with, but not in this case. I read the book to the end, mainly because I wanted to see if I could get as interested and involved in it at any point as other reviewers apparently did. But no, it never involved me in any way and left me feeling completely cold (glad, in fact, that it was over) in the end. Most of the characters are one-di
Larissa Lyons
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very likable leads, with a very different type of heroine, and I loved the way the Duke was given such a distinct personality — you cared for him even when he came across as a jerk. I got true butterflies during one scene. Excellently written!
Cristina
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Regency Fans
Shelves: regency
The Duke of Montford must have a wife but has no desire to find and court an eligible woman. He enlists the aid of his elderly aunts, and they arrange a house party with guests made up of the most eligible girls of the season. All the Duke must do is attend the party and pick a bride. His plans go awry when he meets and falls for a poor relation of one of the guests. Can he admit his love for a commoner and lower his high standards enough to marry her?

This is a fun little Regency and I especiall

be selected as his future wife. He shared with Edgar,
his cousin/ man of affairs/ friend that the 5 were- too
young and vapid. Heroine Emily served as companion
to her cousin (1 of the 5) and out-shown the 5 in the
running, with her wit, cleverness & compassion.

This romance reminded me of the old song "You Don't
Miss Your
Laura Thomas
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Character driven story

The main and secondary characters very well written,loved the aunts and the cousins. Emily was wonderful,Jared introspection made him lovable.
Kebby Shropshire
Decent story

This book was fairly good but the typos were absolutely glaring and distracting. Someone should have at least read this through once before submitting it.
Chautona Havig
Reviewed wrong book. Sorry.
Kaydean Robinson
Loved it!

One of the best books I have read in a long time. Unlike most historical romance novels, this did not have the ridiculous murder plot that seem to be so popular in others. It was refreshing to see the author focus on the developing relationship and obstacles true to the era with well placed humor.
Joanna
Sep 03, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Uninteresting

Couldn't garner enough interest in the characters or storyline to make it more than 1/3 of the way through the book. Lady Lucinda was a caricature, Miss Emily was your standard ugly duckling blue stocking, and the duke was your typical, arrogant, rakish, aristocrat. Yawn.
Amy
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based on the description is sounds like it's a spicy romance, but it's not. It does have some passionate kisses, but nothing more, which is the way I like my romance novels to be. It was a fun read with a firecracker of a heroine!
Marya
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable story, but desperately needs editing.
beecher bennett
Sep 03, 2012
Dr. C.H. Tillis
Feb 12, 2018
Vintagebooklvr
rated it did not like it
Jul 19, 2017