Start by marking “The Wild Book” as Want to Read:
The Wild Book

The Wild Book

Published March 20th 2012 by Harcourt Children's Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Wild Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wild Book

Heather
Review of an advance copy:

This book, featuring Margarita Engle's lovely free-verse, is based on the life of Ms. Engle's grandmother. 11-year-old Fefa (Josefa) has dyslexia. The local doctor calls it "word blindness" and suggests that Fefa will never be able to read or write. Fortunately, Mamá has faith in her daughter and insists on patience and perseverance. And, despite the teasing from her siblings and the doctor's harsh verdict, Fefa also has an indomitable spirit. Her persistence begins to
Cindy Dobrez
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, poetry
I love Engle's verse novels of Cuban history and this one is based on her grandmother's experience growing up with "word blindness" or dyslexia as we know it today. A blank book, a gift from her mother, helps the girl have a place to explore language. A wild book. My sixth grade girls keep raving about this at our book club so I had to get to it. They are right. It is lovely.
Gina
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"The doctor's tired voice
no longer sounds like a hiss.

Perhaps my way of hearing
has somehow
changed."

Fefa is diagnosed with word blindness (dyslexia) and the doctor says she will never read or write. In a family and community that composes poems as gifts and celebrates holidays with poetry contests, that disconnect is catastrophic. But Fefa's mother gives her a book of blank pages, where the words can grow wild, and slowly, s-l-o-w-l-y, the words began to come together.'

Based on the true story of
Alexandra
Funnily enough, I struggle with reading verse-novels, but it didn't take long for me to be drawn into Fefa's story. The setting is beautifully shared and learning more about the characters as Fefa's strength and confidence in her own writing grew was great.
Hlluce30
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A book, written in verse, talking about the struggle a young girl with dyslexia faces with words each day. Each page is another entry in her book that shows the progression of her struggle. I am excited to share this book with my middle school readers to give them a unique perspective on dyslexia set in the backdrop of Cuba.
Donalyn
Fefa cannot read because she suffers from "word-blindness" or dyslexia. Her mother gives her a blank book to write her own words. Scrawling her wild words into the book gives Fefa growing confidence and provides her insight that saves her family at a crucial moment.

Based on Engle's grandmother's childhood experiences growing up during the chaos after Cuba's fight for independence from Spain.

This novel in verse contains so many wonderful images. One of my favorites:

Storytelling

No one in my family
Carol
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book is about the author's grandmother who grew up in Cuba in 1912. She has dyslexia and tries to get her words out with poems and uses this to tell her story. I really like the idea of this book and the subject matter but to be honest I got kind of bored about half way through and lost interest. Finally I got tired of seeing it on my shelf so I decided to finish it. Not sure who I would recommend it too? It was okay, I'd give it 2 1/2 stars if we could give 1/2 stars.
Ariana
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think this is such a cool book for many reasons:

The main character, Fefa, struggles with dyslexia (the book uses the term from the time, word-blindness) and is also a hero. The book offers an interesting glimpse into how people lived with dyslexia in times where there was less understanding of the disability and fewer resources available.

The book takes place in 1912, during Cuba's first years of independence from Spain. It depicts some of the chaos and lawlessness of the time. I don't know muc
Excerpts:

FLY TO THE TRUTH OF DREAMS
After my mother finishes her seascape,
one of my uncles recites
a long poem about the sky,
where sun spirits
ride glowing chariots,
and there is someone
who knows how to fly
toward the truth
of dreams...

I don't understand
the whole thrilling verse,
but I love the way poetry
turns ordinary words
into winged things
that rise up
and soar!

DISCOVERING MY VOICE
The parrot on the roof
wails and shrieks, copying
Mamá's desperate prayers
as she begs for a miracle
of healing.

Tear-streak
Christy
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fefa struggles with words. She has word blindness, or dyslexia, and the doctor says she will never read or write. Every time she tries, the letters jumble and spill off the page, leaping and hopping away like bullfrogs. How will she ever understand them?But her mother has an idea. She gives Fefa a blank book filled with clean white pages. "Think of it as a garden," she says. Soon Fefa starts to sprinkle words across the pages of her wild book. She lets her words sprout like seedlings, shaky at f ...more
Adela Bezemer-Cleverley
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet book. The writing is not particularly brilliant or beautiful, but the story is interesting and told well, a fascinating glimpse of childhood in Cuba in somewhat recent history. Plus the story would be great for children with dyslexia because the main character is dyslexic and the story is written as if she is writing it, in short, simple verses that are less daunting than traditionally narrative formats for anyone who has trouble reading.
Kris
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a beautifully written free verse novel, and I felt like I had a better grasp on the struggle people with dyslexia have after I read it. I also learned about the situation in Cuba in the early 1900s, which I was completely unaware of before. I gave it four stars instead of five because I don't know that the format and lyricism will be as appealing to the young age of the readers it is geared toward as it is for me as an adult.
Amber
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read for: quick juve fiction, girlhood, life in Cuba, word-blindness/dyslexia, prose

Really sweet and lovely, but not super substantial. I wanted more poetry, and the plot point at the end felt thrown in. I think it just needed a bit more work. Still, you don't get to read much regarding Cuba. I just found this author but I'm really looking forward to what she is doing.
Jennifer Mangler
I love Margarita Engle's books. They're so thoughtful and beautiful and vivid. I can see the world through her words. Fefa is someone that you will instantly care about. Fefa struggles to read. Luckily, she has people who won't give up on her. Through them she learns patience and begins to have faith in herself. This is a beautiful story about family and the power of stories.
Elise
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of novels-in-verse
The Wild Book really impressed me--great poetic form, great main character, great look into another culture, great look into the challenges of dyslexia. (I don't have dyslexia, but my brother does.) Beautiful!
Joy Kirr
1912 - From Trinidad, Cuba, Fefa struggles with words. Through this beautiful quick book, she begins to see beauty and patterns as she heads into her 12th year. I'm so glad a student turned me on to this author.
Emily
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, history
A charming poem-cycle about a young girl in turn of the century Cuba with dyslexia who learns to love words.
Keshia
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful cover. Beautiful story.
Abby
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Beautiful, brief book in free verse, based on the author's grandmother's formative years in Cuba and her efforts to learn reading and writing as a dyslexic learner.
Ms. Arca
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I loved the cover (snatched it up in the library just because of it!) and the concept behind the book as well (dyslexia, grandmas story, Cuban characters..).

I thought the execution was just okay.
Audrey
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book #105 of 2018 📖
This book was cute and it had a powerful message. I love how it was written in verse.
KK
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Third grade and up- could even read isolated verses
Jessica
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Clever!
Crystal
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a simple read, but several words would be difficult for younger children who have dyslexia. I loved the simple story woven through the book.
Kristie
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! It belongs in every child's home and every teacher's library. Here's my detailed review: https://bookreviewsbykristie.wordpres...
Tibby (she/her)
Margartia Engle writes the most beautiful novels in verse. In The Wild Book she draws on her family history to tell the story of Fefa who is dyslexic. I think this alone makes the book worth having on the shelf for the one or two kids who struggle with dyslexia and need to see themselves and their struggles in the pages of a book. Fefa is bound and determined, but constantly discouraged by her lack of progress, and I think she could be a very relatable character. I can’t speak to how accurately ...more
Tasha
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Told in poems, this is the story of Engle’s maternal grandmother and her struggle with dyslexia. Known as Fefa, her grandmother was diagnosed with “word blindness” and told she would never read or write. Luckily, Fefa’s mother has an idea. She gives her daughter a blank book to fill with words, as if she is scattering wildflower seeds on the ground. At first Fefa’s words are hesitant and stilted, like seedlings. But steadily her writing and reading improve as she learns to take her time and gain ...more
Christine Turner
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dyslexia, juv-fiction
Fefa struggles with words. She has "word blindness", or dyslexia, and the doctor says she will never read or write. Every time she tries, the letters jumble and spill off the page, leaping and hopping away like bullfrogs. How will she ever understand them?

Brandi
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Middle School
The Wild Book is a novel in verse by two-time Pura Belpré winner, Margarita Engle. This fictionalized account of her grandmother’s struggle with dyslexia takes readers to Cuba, 1912. While the book is fiction, it is inspired by the stories Engle heard from her grandmother. This story is rich with history, emotion, and determination.
Fefa, short for Josefa, is about 11 years old when she is diagnosed with “word-blindness” by the village doctor. He tells her mother that she will never be able to
Beverly
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
FTC Disclosure: I received an Advanced Reader's Copy of this book from the Amazon Vine Program in exchange for an honest review.

The Wild Book by Margarita Engle

Summary: Fefa struggles with words. She has word blindness, or dyslexia, and the doctor says she will never read or write. Every time she tries, the letters jumble and spill off the page, leaping and hopping away like bullfrogs. How will she ever understand them? But her mother has an idea. She gives Fefa a blank book filled with clean wh
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Strange Place to Call Home: The World's Most Dangerous Habitats & the Animals That Call Them Home
  • Caminar
  • Step Gently Out
  • BookSpeak!: Poems about Books
  • The Amazing Adventures of John Smith, Jr. AKA Houdini
  • Chuck Close: Face Book
Margarita Engle is a Cuban-American poet, novelist, and journalist whose work has been published in many countries. She lives with her husband in northern California.
“I don't understand the whole thrilling verse, but I love the way poetry turns ordinary words into winged things that rise up and soar!” 3 likes
“Danger is a chain...passed from one wounded child to the next. We must stop the danger by breaking the chain. We must learn how to stay safe and be kind.” 1 likes