Start by marking “Wuftoom” as Want to Read:
Wuftoom

Wuftoom

Everyone thinks Evan is sick . . . Everyone thinks science will find a cure. But Evan knows he is not sick; he is transforming. Evan’s metamorphosis has him confined to his bed, constantly terrified, and completely alone. Alone except for his visits from the Wuftoom, a wormlike creature that tells him he is becoming one of them.

Clinging to his humanity and desperate t
Published May 8th 2012 by Clarion Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Wuftoom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wuftoom

Dhonielle Clayton
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As a former secondary teacher, I am sad that I won't have the opportunity to teach Mary G. Thompson's book in my classroom. I was always on the hunt for books like these -- strong fantastical story with depth and a thought-provoking premise. Thompson's book delivers on that promise. Evan is sick and he is pulled into a war between two creatures -- the Vitflies and the Wuftoom. Readers get to learn about the creatures and their world as well as what is happening to Evan. If I taught this book in ...more
Emily
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it, but what the bloody hell did I just read?
Chandler Smith
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't read many books marketed as middle-grade or YA, but in this case, I'm glad I ignored traditional genre conventions/expectations, because this author does too. Thompson's novel is uncompromisingly imaginative, dark, and visceral, and it takes us on a journey that feels, in the best sense of the word, *unsafe* for the protagonist -- in both body and soul.

As other readers have noted, this novel tells the story of Evan, an ordinary unpopular kid who, for the last two years, has been sufferi
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I won this book from the One A Day Y. A. blog in a giveaway. I was not required to write a review in exchange, but always do so anyway.

Wuftoom is a highly imaginative but chilling book about a boy who initially thought he was just sick and then realized he was transforming into a worm like creature called a Wuftoom. This story is about how he evolves physically, emotionally and mentally-- and how he struggles to stay true to both his past human self, Evan and his new Wuftoom self, Brode.

There we
Claire
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, rev
If Darren Shan and Sonya Hartnett had a ridiculously weird and creepy literary love child, this is what it would look like.
Izzy
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Everyone thinks Evan is sick, but he knows the truth - he's transforming into one of the despicable creatures that secretly lives in the sewers, a Wuftoom. His metamorphosis leaves him confined to his bed for years, so alone and terrified that he strikes a bargain with the Vitflies, the sworn enemies of the Wuftoom. But when the bargain turns to blackmail and war is being threatened, he has to decide if clinging to his humanity is worth the decimation of the only family he has left.

I originally
Nick Cato
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
For two years, Evan has been bedridden. No doctor can explain what is wrong with him, but a worm-like creature who visits him in the night informs him he is becoming one of them. Evan is also visited by a Vitfly, a winged creature who attempts to use him to locate the hideout of the Wuftoom, the name of the race of worms Evan is transforming into. As a bribe, the Vitfly manages to let Evan "enter" some of the kids at his school, giving him a taste of what he's been missing since becoming ill.

Eva
Auliya
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
May 2015
Sure to be memorable, this is a coming-of-age story with a lot of fantastical yuck and whimsy. I would recommend this for kids 8-12, and for adults who would enjoy a parable on the puzzles present in conflicts of interest, loyalty, and love. A fast and easy read, a suspenseful adventure, the author keeps the plot simple and lovingly renders the world of the Wuftoom. Not a bad read.
Jack Phoenix
A book that wavers throughout, what begins as a stand-out specimen of body horror that would make Cronenberg proud swiftly devolves into a meandering YA dark fantasy.
Dark Faerie Tales
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-emmy
Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: This dark fantasy is filled with depth and founded on a thought provoking premise of human will and agency in a world where two fantastical species are at war.

Opening Sentence: Evan sat on his bed with his back against the pillow.

The Review:

Evan’s transformation to his Wuftoom self is painful both for him and the reader. Thompson’s descriptions are chilling and at times nauseating, I needed about twenty pages to get used to it. Membrane is g
Thistle
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I saw the cover of this book, I didn't want to read it.

When I saw a summary of the book (about a boy who slowly turns into a worm), I really did not want to read it.

However, I kept running into reviews of it, and they kept including lines like "Even if you don't think you'd like this book, you should read it! It's good!", so eventually I gave in and bought a copy. Then it sat and sat and sat in my to read pile, sinking lower and lower each time I bought new books.

Now and then, when picking
Jessica Verdi
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I don't read a whole lot of middle grade books, and after reading Mary G. Thompson's 'Wuftoom' I have resolved to change that. This was one of the most enjoyable, surprising, creative books I have ever read.

I picked up 'Wuftoom' because of the beautifully intriguing cover and the fascinating premise described on the back cover: "Everyone thinks Evan is sick... But Evan knows he is not sick; he is transforming." And from the very first page, I was hooked. Nothing about this book is "dumbed down"
Bethany Miller
Nov 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Evan’s mother believes that her son is suffering from a disease that doctors don’t know how to cure, but Evan knows the truth. He is slowly morphing from a boy in to a worm-like creature called a wuftoom. He knows this because another wuftoom has visited him and told him that when the transformation in complete, he will have to come and live underground with others of his kind. Evan is disgusted by the thought of it, but he knows that what the worm is saying is true. Then one night he is visited ...more
Amy Armstrong
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-arc, ya
If you are looking for a book that isn't quite like anything else, Wuftoomis an excellent choice. I have seen other reviewers compare it to Kafka's Metamorphosis, and it is similar in that the main character, Evan, transforms from a sixth grader into a giant worm---a Wuftoom. Another shared trait between Wuftoom and Metamorphosis: the ick factor. Readers with weak stomachs, consider yourselves warned. Evan's transformation is chronicled in painstaking detail complete with sights, sounds, texture ...more
Lauren
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

So I have to admit, I started this book very skeptical, as I don't read much in the way of young adult literature. I have to say, though, I ended the book quite impressed and I feel like this is a book that a lot of adults will enjoy just as much. It rather reminded me of Metamorphosis, actually.

Mary Thompson is an incredible writer who is very gifted at detail. Some of the descriptions verge on the grotesque, so some readers may want to beware
Christina Hagmann
What a bizarre and creepy little story. Wuftoom tells the tale of Evan, a young boy, who has been sick for two years because he is transforming into a...worm. The humans don’t know what is wrong with him, but the mysterious creatures that live in the dark do. Evan is turning into a gooey, membrane covered, fanged, Wuftoom. And during his transformation, Evan is visited by the Wuftoom and their sworn enemies, the Vitflies. Both species make promises to Evan, but he doesn’t know who he should trus ...more
Yami
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Weird, summaries this novel in a word,
I though I am going to fall in love with this novel , but I was confused all the time, there was no twist ,there was no real closure, I got the point, and the idea was good but the construction was kinda weak, saying that the novel WAD unique, never read something like it before, and the protagonist is normal in a different way, I think it needed more pages more depth, more into it, and it ended as weirdly and is began, and am still confused, about what I ju
Morgan  Ashleigh
Jul 20, 2013 rated it liked it
The elements of fantasy and adventure in this book, combined with the reading level remind me of Roald Dahl's James and the Giant Peach, and John Connolly's The Book of Lost Things. I was a bit upset by the ending of the book. I felt that it was abrupt and cliche to have it end that way, and that there should have been a very detailed ending as the rest of the content of the book was not very descriptive.
Stefanie
Apr 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-fun
CREEEEEPY!!!!! A good change of pace from all the vampire and fariy tale novels for teens. However if you are afraid of creepy crawlies this is NOT the book for you. I didnt think I was going to like this book but it was well writen and really painted the picture of this other world with vivid description. I am hopeing that this book will gather a following so they can turn it into a series because there are some questions lingering.
Leonca
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, owned
For such a quick read, this story explores a diverse array of subjects- familial love, friendship, body horror, genocide. The world-building was very creative, and despite a fairly dark tone it carries a thread of humor and hopefulness that prevents the depressing aspects from weighing it down.
Dystopian
Dec 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Very weird; I liked it. The descriptions almost put me off but they are hyperbole. It IS gross (they live in a sewer, after all) but it is not horrifying or anything.

But it did seem like half a story. I expect it is the first in a trilogy or some such.
Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance]
What a shame Clarion Books couldn't apparently raise the vast sums of postage money needed to make their giveaway of a single book open to people outside of the US. Perhaps we should have a whip around for them?
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Thank you.

This was a really good book. Interesting story line. I cried during the end of the book. It was well written, and hard to put down.
CB
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
i wanted to like this a lot more than i actually did. it showed promise but did not live up to it.
Kimathy
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
I can't rate this book much lower than this since I never went past the first chapter. It was just to oddly written and I never got what was going on.
Jeff
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A good reminder of why your mother is always there for you!
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oh this book! Perfectly squicky and heartwarming too.
Sierra Galatz
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty good! Exciting and hard to put down. I received this book free through Goodreads Firstreads.
Heather Gerard
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very imaginative. A little creepy. It even asks some thought provoking questions at a kid level. A great book for tweens and teens.
Beth
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was...OK. I could have left off reading at any point and not felt like I was missing anything. Interesting idea, but less than interesting execution.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Wuftoom Giveaway! Check it out! 2 4 Apr 12, 2012 03:17AM

• Precious Bones
  • Stubby Pencil Noodlehead
  • What I Did On My Midlife Crisis Vacation
  • Shrouded in Darkness
  • Layla
  • Buried (Goth Girl Mystery, #1)
  • Torn
  • The Portal
  • What Smiled at Him
  • Daughter of the Centaurs (Centauriad, #1)
  • Zoe Gets Ready
  • Brother from a Box
  • The Dark Zone (Galahad, #4)
  • Guy Langman, Crime Scene Procrastinator
  • Rebel McKenzie
  • Super Schnoz and the Gates of Smell
  • Cameron's Court
  • Gorilla Tactics (Dr. Critchlore's School for Minions #2)
Mary G. Thompson was raised in Cottage Grove and Eugene, Oregon. She was a practicing attorney for more than 7 years, including almost 5 years in the U.S. Navy. She graduated from The New School's Writing for Children program in 2012 and is now a law librarian in Washington, DC. Find her on the web at http://marygthompson.com.
“Evan had heard it all before. A paradise underground, made for things like the worm in front of him. A place where Evan would forget he had ever been human, forget he had a mother, maybe even forget his own name. This thing did not remember its own, Evan was sure of it.” 3 likes
“The other dark places,' Evan whispered. Visions of tunnels of earth and stone, caves and streams entered his head. It was far beneath them. He knew it was real and it was down there, waiting.” 2 likes