Start by marking “Rain Makes Applesauce” as Want to Read:
Rain Makes Applesauce

Rain Makes Applesauce

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  697 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
The stars are made of lemon juice...
...and rain makes applesauce.
Elbows grow on a tickle tree...
...and rain makes applesauce.
Oh, you're just talking silly talk.

This is a book of silly talk. It doesn't pretend to be anything else. And yet it is an extraordinary creation, in which author and artist speak to children in a very special way. The fanciful nonsense and marvelousl
Published September 1st 1964 by Holiday House (first published June 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Rain Makes Applesauce, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rain Makes Applesauce

Sophia Triad
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
My 5 year old daughter picked this book from the library. I asked her why and she said "It is pretty".
I asked her "why is it pretty?"
She said "there is a rainbow on the cover".
We read it together and she didn't really like the lyrical phrases of the book, although she really enjoyed the illustrations.
Personally, I think it is interesting if you are a grown up and you can appreciate the silliness of the lyrics. As a child it is harder to understand and to engage to something that has no meaning
Miriam
Feb 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: adults who ar nostalgic about their drug-using youths.
Shelves: picture
"It is an extraordinary creation, in which author and artist speak to children in a very special way"... Yeah, a "special way" that gave me the creeps when I was a kid. The nonsense repetition and surreal illustrations in this totally freaked me out. I couldn't stand how they kept saying "rain makes applesauce" over and over. This book is why I've never tried hallucinogens. I'm giving it three stars purely for the talent shown by the illustrator.
Lorie
Apr 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-ya
I was just asked why I like this one so much. So, I guess I'll write a real review.

One of my biggest factors in judging a picture book is the effect on the kids. And the kids LOVE this book. We read this today in story time for 3-5 year olds, and they laughed and laughed all the way through at the nonsense talk. Then we spent another 5 minutes with them making up their own nonsense sentences.

It encourages the kids to use their imagination; and that is something that is being slowly but very soli
Jim Erekson
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Thanks for sharing this, Lu! I love the illustrations, and how they complement the rhythmic free verse feel of the single line text. There's something about the quilted, patchwork look of Bileck's illustrations that reminds me of Arcimboldo's paintings. My favorite one was "The wind blows backwards all night long..." Most of all, I loved reading the inscription inside and knowing it was your copy and that it has a history with your family.

There's a prescient, or on the edge psychedelic thing go
Katherine Austin
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-4050
1) Book summary, in your own words (3 pts)
-There really is no storyline or plot to this book. Basically, it's all just silly talk that, in some sort of way, makes sense to children in a hilarious way. Though a book about nothing sounds quite boring, it is captivating and promotes even a mature reader's imagination.
2) Grade level, interest level, lexile (1 pt)
-Kindergarten-1st Grade
3) Appropriate classroom use (subject area) (1 pt)
-Science, learning about the weather but mostly for entertainment
Leslie
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the most beautiful -- and liltingly poetic -- children's books I've ever seen. This is one of the essential books for anyone looking to create a library of the very best picture books; it would also be a unique present for anyone who appreciates good illustration. And it's a great read-aloud book, but be prepared for a child to want to stop and pore over the pictures.

Marvin Bileck's illustrations are detailed and intricate, delicately colored,and wonderfully inventive. And although this
Lorna
Dec 30, 2011 rated it liked it
1965 Caldecott Honor

Favorite illustration: The title page with the view of the town and the title suspended on or by umbrellas.

Favorite line: Hmm. Hard one; they are all pretty odd.

Thoughts: Kids, especially ones taken to wildly imaginative imagery, might like this more than I did. The pattern of the text is that some nonsense activity is followed by the phrase, "but rain makes applesauce." None of the activities struck me as cute or clever, but just rather odd.
Sandra
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
A delightful, nonsensical book with lovely, whimsical, appropriately silly drawings - one of my kids' favorites - after each wildly silly statement (e.g., monkeys eat the chimney smoke), "oh, you're just talking silly talk - but the rain makes applesauce!"
Patrick Resse
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: musso
Knuffle Bunny is the winner of the 2005 Caldecott Medal, and no wonder, as it is a simple but wonderful book. This book written by Mo Williams is particularly appropriate for young children from about kindergarten to first grade. Many kids in early elementary ca relate to the feeling of losing a beloved stuffed animal. At the beginning of the book the main character and her father run some errands together which includes going to laundromat, and during the time they are at other locations, the k ...more
Angie
Sep 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
I'm a sucker for a book that has some sort of gold or silver award medallion on the cover. This one is a Caldecott Honor recipient. I have learned, however, that I'm not always on the same page as the award committees. Silly, nonsensical books can be fun, and I try not to let my own tastes dictate what I read to my children. I've suffered through plenty of repeated readings of stories that have a nails-on-a-chalkboard effect on me. But even my littles didn't like this one, and they are very into ...more
Melissa Griffith
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
An odd book this was, being a folklore I wouldn't expect much else. Rain Makes Applesauce was a runner-up for the Caldecott Medal in 1965 and was one of the top 10 best illustrated children's book of 1964. This book has little words making it good for young children. This could also be used as a first reader. Honestly, the book did not have much of a story just silly words paired together to make you laugh. I absolutely love the illustrations however, the attention to detail was amazing. Everyth ...more
Maria Rowe
• 1965 Caldecott Honor Book •

I really just didn’t get this book and the illustrations were a little weird for me - however, I did really love the idea of a jelly bean jungle!

What really fascinated me was when I read the cover flap about the author, Julian Scheer. He was the Assistant Administrator for Public Affairs at NASA from 1962 to 1971! Fascinating. I wondered if this book that’s mostly nonsense grew out of having such an intense job??
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
The beautiful, whimsical illustrations serve to propel this simple, nonsense poem forward. Using dual illustrations of both the "silly talk" of the poem and corner illustrations detailing the growth of an apple tree, its harvest and the process of making apple sauce the pictures move the poem along on it indiscernible path of imagination.
Emmalee Carter
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For my Babies
to teach them about magic
Kelly
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Silly talk, silly talk. But beautiful and whimsical.
Angela Burke
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
The illustrations are what made this book, hands down. The rhyming wasn't my favorite thing in the world, but it is visually pleasing.
Ahtziri
Oct 01, 2018 added it
Shelves: books-11-20
Summary: This children's poetry book takes you on an adventure that always ends in "and rain makes applesauce." Children will enjoy the vivid illustrations along with the silly story.

Evaluation: I don't know how I feel about this book. It was a lot for me, I didn't really understand it and the pictures didn't help me with my comprehension. It was just all over the place. I guess it would be funny for little kids?

Teaching Idea: I think I would connect this with science and have students actuall
Michelle
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Thought I would like this more, and I can't believe I've never read this one!
Holly Martin
Sep 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
The illustrations are the reason I'm not rating this very well. They personally kind of creep me out. I love the concept of this book though!
Antonia
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
For little ones. Not particularly special.
Robin Faith
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
my all time favorite
Kevin Doyle
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: boys or girls, age 4 or older, especially artistic kids or parents
Oh, the 1960s. I was not born then and did not see the 60s, but I wish I had experienced the spirit of those years. These days, I really enjoy seeing picture books from decades past and "Rain Makes Applesauce" (published 1965) is definitely an old one you'll want to check out.

The book is full of "silly talk", plain and simple. In fact - that's one of the delightful reoccurring phrases in the book - "Oh you're just talking silly talk." That and the title phrase "rain makes applesauce" appear seve
kendermouse
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
From the first time I checked this book out from the library and read it to my kids, I knew it was special.

The silly phrases and recall responses got their attention immediately, and in less than five minutes, they were already laughing and calling out the main phrase back to me, and they've loved it ever since.

Even now, with them all being teenagers, and the eldest graduating, it's still the one book that seems to have stuck with them the most, out of everything I've ever read to them.

All any
Seema Rao
This book is still as full of whimsy and bizarreness and joy as I remembered. The simple text is paired with odd images. The whole thing just pulls at one's curiosity and humor in a fantastic way.
Carol
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Critical thinking at its best is discovered with the experience of reading and/or listening to this intriguing picture book. The repetition of language patterns, reminiscent of ages 0-2 year books, and the fascinatingly complex illustrations are used very effectively in stimulating 4-7 year old thinking. Incongruent, impossible statements are made like: “The wind blows backwards all night long and rain makes applesauce. Oh you’re just talking silly talk.” The illustrations inconspicuously show t ...more
Morgan Carlson
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rain Makes Applesauce is a children's story that allows children to interpret the plot in whichever way they please, opening up their creativity. Everything written in the book isn't true and is considered to be "silly talk". It goes on about things like the stars being made of lemon juice, how the wind blows backwards all night, and monkeys eating chimney smoke. The book ends with how the reader knows they're only reading silly talk, but how rain really does make applesauce.

Because this book wa
Rachel
This was a very odd book, which won a 1965 Caldecott Honor. I’m not totally surprised by it as books from the 1960s-70s had weird subjects, like Where the Wild Things Are or Sam, Bangs and Moonshine or Pop Corn and Ma Goodness. If you didn’t know it was meant to be a nonsense book, you would probably think the author and illustrator were high when they created it. It’s kind of crazy to think that the author worked for NASA. The story is a nonsense lyrical poem with silly statements like “The sta ...more
Kat
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
An adorable book about sensible nonsense. Perfect for encouraging imagination in children. Great pictures too with rain making applesauce in each one.
Maria Nuccetelli
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
A)
Each page has beautiful, detailed pictures with whimsical and lyrical poems. Each page ends with "...and rain makes applesauce". On every other page there is a little fairy at the bottom who says "and you're just talking silly talk". The sentences are very much so nonsense but the pictures can draw you in and let your imagination run wild.

B)
A theme for Rain Makes Applesauce would be silly. The words are fun to read out loud and the pictures make the read very interesting.

C)
A way to do a clas
Eva
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: apples
This 1965 Caldecott winner is an imaginative and playful tale open to many interpretations. Its lilting poetry encourages creativity and my kids come up with a different meaning every time we read it. Detailed, but lightly colored drawings remain interesting no matter how many times you looked at them. In my house it’s enough to quote from the book, “Oh, you are just talking silly talk…” and they can’t stop laughing. When I asked my son why he likes this book, he said, “It’s silly like A Very Sp ...more
  • The Moon Jumpers
  • Just Me
  • Green Eyes (Family Storytime)
  • My Mother is the Most Beautiful Woman in the World