Start by marking “Cat Diary: Yon & Muu; 猫日記よん&むー; Neko Nikki Yon to Mū” as Want to Read:
Cat Diary: Yon & Muu; 猫日記よん&むー; Neko Nikki Yon to Mū

Cat Diary: Yon & Muu; 猫日記よん&むー; Neko Nikki Yon to Mū

The representative of Japanese horror comics, Junji Ito, horror manga author. J-kun, a dog person, was coerced into adopting two cats by his fiancee A-ko: Muu, a Norwegian cat, and Yon who has an accursed face.

Much to the chagrin of J, the cats do not immediately love him.

The difference between fear and comedy is paper thin. Here's a cat comedy from a horror manga author
Published March 13th 2009 by 講談社

To ask other readers questions about Cat Diary, please sign up.
Sareena It's actually not scary! It's done in the author's horror style but it's actually quite cute and funny!

karen
 photo IMG_1893_zps4nj52z5z.jpg

junji ito is a writer/illustrator known for his horror manga, and here he focuses his energies on the most horrible horror of them all - the domestic cat.

photo IMG_1925_zps3i1wc2fe.jpg

this is a comedic-horror manga, and it speaks to those of us who have invited these little devils into our hearts and homes, and the everyday horrors we endure as a result.

photo IMG_1919_zpsfer7ht8l.jpg

and

photo IMG_1908_zpstb2wwunp.jpg  photo IMG_1907_zpskt7m3buf.jpg

and

photo IMG_1934_zps6nblbxxi.jpg  photo IMG_1935_zpsa6icxyby.jpg

it is an autobiographical tale of what happens to a dog-person when his fiancée brings her two cats into their home

photo IMG_1917_zpsy4ym1yd7_1.jpg

photo IMG_1895_zpsqrgnbysw.jpg

and his emotional journey from fear
Tim
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, humor, manga
“A curse is upon my household!”
-Junji Ito’s reaction upon seeing his fiancée’s cat

This is an oddity. It’s a manga that I really liked, but feel I can’t recommend it to many. It requires a love of cats, silly slice of life moments and a knowledge of Ito’s prior works. You see Ito is a Horror Artist, and I use capital letters there because he takes it a step beyond what most can pull off. His drawings are horrific and often grotesque. He is not the sort of manga creator I can recommend to most of
David Schaafsma
I have been successfully creeped out by horror manga-ka Ito's Uzumaki (a town driven to madness by spirals) and Museum of Terror (boys driven to madness and murder by a girl/femme fatale), so I just added this to my tbr list, and was surprised to find it is basically diary comics, the funny story of how dog person Ito got pushed into living with two cats by his wife.

But how can a horror artist tell the story of two cats coming to live in his house? As if the cats were monsters, of course, out t
Caro the Helmet Lady
Knowing it to be Junji Ito's work, one would expect something like this:
description

But it's nothing like that, relax! (or get upset, it depends) At its worst it's more like this:
description

This story is about cat loving, it's about becoming a cat person - a true one, believe me, and about how these little furry assholes change everything when they arrive in our lives. It's adorable to say the least. It's very funny and it's actually authentic, because you will also get a bonus gallery of Ito's real life cats, who l
Yon Nyan (BiblioNyan)
Junji Ito, better known for his remarkable twisted and weird horror manga, becomes a co-kitty-owner when his fiancée moves in with him, bringing her cat, Yon, along for the ride. Soon afterwards, she adopts a small kitten, Mu, to help keep Yon from being lonely.

The manga was a small collection of hilarious anecdotes of what life is like with a small clan of energetic, curious, and mischievous feline family members. Almost all of the tales can be appreciated by anyone who's ever been a cat-slave
Kelly Spoer
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
KITTY CATS
Anna Kļaviņa
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
10 chapters, Yun-chan and Muu-chan's photos, FAQ.

Fun stories about Ito and his wife's cats. Drawn and told with love.

Anthony Vacca
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Junji Ito makes gleeful use of his superior horror aesthetics to create a charming love letter to the cats his wife forced into his life. While not the mind-melting masterwork that is Uzumaki (trans: Spiral), this comic book is slim enough to stuff a Christmas stocking and quirky enough to delight the feline fetishist nearest and dearest to your heart this holiday season.
Kate
5/5stars

Freaking LOVED this!! This was a hilarious combination of Ito's normal horror art style mixed with the comedy of having two cats with VERY different personalities. If you love cats or have cats - i HIGHLY recommend! I saw so much of Bin and Tae in Yon and Mu!
Mizuki
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A horror manga-ka moves into a cozy new house with his newlywed wife, what can go wrong? This: his wife wants to have two cats! Lol
Orrin Grey
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Junji Ito and I love cats, which is probably why I put off reading this for so long. One of Junji Ito's claims to fame is that he can make just about any random thing creepy as hell, so I wasn't too keen for him to turn his powers onto cats. (Which, let's face it, are often creepy enough on their own.)

Fortunately, I needn't have worried. While Ito's usual offbeat comedic style (which comes through in many of his horror manga as well) is in full force here, and Junji Ito's Cat Diary occasi
Mara Cee
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Having read most of Ito Junji's other works, I would consider myself a fan first and foremost of his horror stories. However, I can safely say after reading Cat Diary that Ito Junji is one of the rare authors who can sate my obsession with the frightening and the grotesque on the one hand, while on the other delighting me with humor and cute animals.

Cat Diary is basically a manga based drawn from Ito's home life with his fiancee and two cats, Yon and Mu. Not only does he capture the cats' expres
Nate D
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Juni Ito of horror manga like Uzumaki (you know, where a town is consumed by spirals in three volumes) doing diary comics about his pet cats, so you can probably already guess whether this would ever appeal to you. I like both Ito and cats, so I find this pretty delightful, particularly in how it's still drawn like horror manga in typical Ito style, even though the content is all actually pretty normal. But aren't cats always a little uncanny anyway?

You may have run into the little bit w
Sara
Stumbling upon this in a local comic book shop was such a pleasant happy accident. I love Junji Ito. His horror comics are terrifying and amazingly drawn and unique. I love cats. I have one. Cats are the best.

JUNJI ITO WROTE A COMIC BOOK ABOUT CATS! MY LIFE IS MADE! I love how this is very very similar to Chi's Sweet Home...but for older readers, and he still manages to weave his horror sensibility into a very cute story about becoming a cat lover. Basically, this is Chi's Sweet Home filtered t
Anita
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed and I cried (that ending is so touching)! This manga was so funny due to the artwork (at times terrifying and clever all wrapped into one image) and writing. But the best part about it was the heart that was behind every page. Clearly these are two extremely well-loved kitties and any pet owner can appreciate the little snippets of stories if they think about how much they love their furry best friends. One of my favorite parts was the author's confession that a gift of fake poop, "sti ...more
R.
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Cat owners will find much to identify with in this slim volume of cat chronicles. Ito gets it all down in fine style, the horror of feline ownership: the bites, the disappearances, the escapes and, perhaps most supernatural of all, their ability to catch your eye, hold your gaze, and hypnotize you into state of complete submission to their whims, fancies: into a mood of love or forgiveness or another cup of frisky biscuits.

That's my take. I leave the remainder of the review to my cat, who also
Akira
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was just too dang cute and funny 😂😂😂!
C. Varn
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Junji Ito is a master of horror manga, and as an artist, his style is distinct. Clean-lines, sometimes hyperreal to the point of the uncanny, and then a manic tip over into the grotesque. What makes Junji Ito's Cay Dairy so strange is that while it is creepy and uncanny, it is mostly Ito making fun of himself.

This is the story of J, A-ko, J's fiancee, and their two cats, Yon and Mu. Yon is a family cat that J. thanks has an accursed face, but he learns to love. Mu is a Norwegian forest cat that
Roza
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This must be every cat lover's dream manga! Instantly fell madly in love with Yon and Muu, the author and his wife's pet cats. Also, the resemblance between Yon and my pet cat Toulouse (a.k.a. Duke) is so uncanny, it made me appreciate this collection of kitty adventures even more.
Guess what, I'll re-read this right away.
Selena
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat lovers, manga fans
Junji Ito's better known for his creepy, twisted manga like Uzumaki (which I thought was more comical than creepy myself, but that's neither here nor there). Yon & Mu is drawn in that twisted, creepy style despite being the story of Ito-sensei and his cats.

It's fun and quirky, especially if you or someone you know has cats. It's mostly Ito-Sensei freaking out about the cats, whether it's calling Yon "cursed" (may I remind you this guy writes horror manga?) or that he's super jealous of the f
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Absolutely perfect for a horror comedy manga, it caters to my odd sense of humour exactly.

I really like Ito's drawing style (Uzumaki is one of my favourite stories ever) and it makes this otherwise dull, normal life funny, taking things to the extreme. He makes dull things weird.

Ito classes himself as a dog person, much like I do myself. His fiancee is a cat person, and he needs to learn to adjust to, like and possibly even love the two cats who are to move in with him. This manga is a few short
Emily
This was funny and sweet autobiographical manga about the artist Junji Ito, his wife A-ko, and their life with their cats Yon and Mu. I chuckled and laughed out loud throughout. Reading this has made me curious to check out his horror manga too.
A fine way to spend an hour or so on a sunny afternoon.
Michael Jandrok
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an absolutely adorable manga by Junji Ito, an artist more well known for his dizzying descents into horror. This little book, though, is an autobiographical take on the ins and outs of domestic life with cats. Ito knows little to nothing of cats prior to his marriage to A-Ko, a woman well versed in the ways of felines. He comes to accept that these furry unknowns are now to be a big part of his life going forward. The manga itself documents a series of comical adventures as Ito first joc ...more
Baal Of
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: salmon
Wow. I didn't expect something so emotionally touching from Ito. Being a cat lover, I was bound to like this, but it went beyond my expectations, delving into the complicated relationship of people to the cats they love. Ito portrays his personal shift from considering himself to be not-a-cat-person, to falling for the two cats who came into his life, with all their foibles and contrary natures. He manages to throw in some horror with the exaggerated depictions of his imagination. This volume al ...more
Barbara McEwen
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The HORROR... of owning cats! This cracked me up. You have a famous horror manga artist depicting his wife bringing two cats into their lives. It is funny and adorable. I do love cats, so my rating may be slightly unreliable but if so, only by one star at most!
Megan (ReadingRover)
More like 3.5 stars. Pretty accurate and funny interpretation on how life changes when you start sharing your house with cats!
Bogi Takács
This was hilarious in a bizarre way - famed horror mangaka Junji Ito talks about his family cats. It has all the visual and textual horror manga tropes, except it's a domestic slice-of-life story about having cats. He really plays into it for all its worth.

What annoyed me was that he didn't seem to be on such good terms with his wife - I find it kind of offputting when I get that impression from reading a book. (He did mention in one of the Q&A segments that his wife complained!) But in the
Lizzy // The Bookish Unicorn
This was absolutely hilarious! It was a perfect mix of Ito's visual horror drawing style and cat stories, I hope he does a second volume at some point.
Jedi JC Daquis
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Taking a break from reading Full Metal Alchemist (because that series is so damn good that I have to extend that feeling for a little longer) I have decided to read Cat Diary that has been on my to-read shelf for quite some time now. Junji Ito's Cat Diary is unlike any other of his works. As the title says, it is a diary, a little journal of some of his, oftentimes hilarious experiences with their household nekos Yon and Mu.

You have to set your expectations with this graphic novella. No my frien
Erin
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard at a book. I totally relate to Junji Ito as being someone who went from a dog person to a cat person. Yonsuke Forever. <3
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 1
  • Sunny, Vol. 2
  • Utsubora: The Story of a Novelist
  • Genkaku Picasso, Vol. 2
Junji Itō (伊藤潤二) Born in Gifu Prefecture in 1963, he was inspired from a young age by his older sister's drawing and Kazuo Umezu's comics and thus took an interest in drawing horror comics himself. Nevertheless, upon graduation he trained as a dental technician, and until the early 1990s he juggled his dental career with his increasingly successful hobby — even after being selected as the winner o ...more