Start by marking “Spiral (Ring, #2)” as Want to Read:
Spiral (Ring, #2)

Spiral

(Ring #2)

Dr. Ando who has yet to recover from his son's death at sea, conducts an autopsy on an old friend who has died under unusual circumstances. The corpse, that of cynical philosophy professor Ryuji Takayama, has something to tell him. And Ryuji isn't the only one who chooses to make a reappearance in this story.

You don't know what the RING is yet. The terms of the curse of th
Published August 1st 2005 by Vertical (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Spiral, please sign up.
Amy They are each stand alone books, meaning that you do not have to have read previous books to enjoy each. However, they do all go together and build on…moreThey are each stand alone books, meaning that you do not have to have read previous books to enjoy each. However, they do all go together and build on the same world, and each book will make more sense if you read the previous one.(less)
Norwegian Wood by Haruki MurakamiKafka on the Shore by Haruki MurakamiThe Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki MurakamiBattle Royale by Koushun Takami1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
Best Japanese Books
683 books — 2,876 voters
Kafka on the Shore by Haruki MurakamiThe Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki MurakamiNorwegian Wood by Haruki MurakamiNever Let Me Go by Kazuo IshiguroKitchen by Banana Yoshimoto
Japanese authors
158 books — 148 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Spiral (Ring, #2)
Trudi

Huh. Well, that was...interesting. Overall, I can say I enjoyed it. But two things chipped away at the star rating: 1) not enough creee-py (though a few scenes work incredibly well) and 2) waaaaay too much solving of codes and clues and shop-talk about genetics and DNA (oh, and these biological aspects are much more strap on your suspension of disbelief fantastical than this guy's done his research science fiction with the emphasis on science).

There's some crazy ass theories going on in these p
Ethan
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I wasn't as impressed with Spiral as I was with Ring. I thought it was a slight step down, but still a good book. We meet some new characters in Spiral, mainly Ando, a coroner, and his colleague Miyashita. Similar to the last book with Asakawa and Ryuji, these new characters form a duo who try to uncover the truth behind the mysterious deaths that occurred in Ring. In this vein the story is somewhat derivative. That being said, Ring ends on a cliffhanger and that is not only resolved but becomes ...more
Trisha
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andy
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006
This is even better than Ring and really takes things in a different direction from the movie versions. Worth reading.
Marvin
Jul 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Spiral is the sequel to Koji Suzuki's best-selling Japanese horror novel Ring and also makes up the second book of a trilogy. Most people know the idea of the first book because of the popular horror film that bears its name. While both book and movie, Ring, manage to creep out the globe, what we didn't know is that the author wasn't happy with just killing people seven days after watching a creepy video. He had other plans.

And for better or worse, they are spelled out in Spiral. The plot starts
Sean O'Hara
Ah, so here's Koji Suzuki's official sequel to Ring. Not the crappy Hollywood sequel, nor the crappy Japanese film sequel, but the official continuation from the author of the original novel. All right! This is going to be awe--wait, it's a medical thriller?

The curse is a result of the smallpox virus hijacking Sadako's DNA and using her psychic powers to imprint images on a videotape which in turn causes the viewer's DNA to mutate and produce more of the --

There are a number of scenes in this b
Michael
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
One year after they published the hardcover version of Ring in the US, Vertical put out the first of several sequels. Having read and reviewed Ring already, I realized I'd never gone any further than the original novel and, of course, both the Japanese and US versions of the iconic movie. Finally, suffering from a bout of insomnia and needing something different from the standard horror I typically used to cleanse my palette before bedtime, I snagged a digital version of Spiral and started going ...more
Caroline
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: repeat-authors
Angela
Dec 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Spiral is Koji Suzuki's second installment in the Ring series, picking up pretty much immediately where the first book leaves off--and shifting over to a new protagonist, Mitsuo Ando, who is a former classmate of one of the characters who dies in the first book. Ando winds up being the doctor called upon to do the autopsy on his classmate, and is thus drawn into the events that roared through the plot of the first book.

This one didn't quite work for me as well, though. It suffered from a bit of
Carly Ogborne
I read Ring and Spiral in rapid succession and while I loved Ring, I'm conflicted about Spiral. It was definitely spookier and I enjoyed the way the story turned out, especially the ending which was something I never would have predicted. However, some of the attempts to explain how the virus formed verged into wankery and I hated the info-dumps and the inclusion of the DNA sequencing and whatnot. What, am I reading a Jodi Picoult novel?

That said, some of these problems may be due to translation
Maica
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Were it not for the graphic details I prefer not to mention, I would have given this 5-stars.
April
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, loved
Suzuki's plots are batshit crazy and I love it. I read Ring a long time ago and was dumbfounded by how much I enjoyed Suzuki's pace and writing. Surprisingly, the eeriness of Nakata's Ring movie captured the spookiness of the novel perfectly, and so, having watched the movie prior to reading, it was a satisfying experience as a fan of the franchise both on screen and on paper. Spiral is the direct second installment of the Ring series and in it, Suzuki turns up the "weird" full throttle.

I reall
Alan
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the most part a fast, easy, enjoyable read. Where it gets caught up with too much science an genetics I ended up skipping pages. And the ending was pretty weird. But still a good book.
Seán Hudson
Sep 04, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The most shocking part of this alleged shocker was the observation that "Miyashita's intuition was sharper than one would have guessed from his rotund physique." It could always be a shoddy translation, but it's exceedingly hard to tell whether the repeated bigotry (towards women especially) is that of the repulsive characters or the author himself. While the characters of Ring were perhaps equally dislikable, the brilliant pacing and tension surrounding the investigation overshadowed the signif ...more
D.M.
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's a good thing this book was written in such a fluid, easily-read style, because I don't know that I'd have stayed with it otherwise. As it was, several portions got bogged down in a textbook-type science language that I tended to skip over (and the narrative lost nothing for it).
This story incorporates more horror elements than did the first book (Ring), and so is closer in nature to a horror novel for it. However, the heavy use of science (both real and imagined) places the story technicall
Tanja Berg
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it
This book gets a three star rating by the grace of the fact that I actually enjoyed reading it. The plot was well-paced and I found the main character - pathologist Dr. Ando - sympathetic. If it hadn't been for the fact that the last third of the book was completely preposterous this would have been a solid four star novel.

This is a free-standing sequel to "the Ring". Dr. Ando has lost his young son to the sea and his wife has left him. He performs an autopsy on his old school friend Ryuji who h
Paula
May 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Following on from 'Ring' (and also readable as a stand alone book), 'Spiral' starts with Ando performing an autopsy on Ryuji following his early demise in 'Ring', suddenly Ando is dragged into the world of the ring and Sadako Yamamura who is responsible for numerous deaths.

I enjoyed 'Ring' but I enjoyed 'Spiral' a lot more for numerous reasons, there was a more sinister feel to it for one thing, the story was excellent, I did not expect the ending, some parts of the book were obivious but still
Amanda
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So Spiral is the second book on the Ring series, and right off the bat I can tell you that I think this is even better than the first book.

In Spiral you get a plot full of twists and turns, which is great because I was genuinely kept guessing. But what really carried the plot was how well Ando, the main protagonist was written. The trials and tribulations that he encountered projected so strongly I felt like I was actually living them.

Brilliant read, and I'm going to start on the 3rd instalmen
Spencer
The first book in the ring series kept the horror quite subtle, this book essentially removes it altogether. The story becomes even more of a thriller/mystery than the first and even delves into sci-fi a little bit. The plot is interesting but the pacing was way off, especially when the story took some time off to teach us about DNA and codes!
I did enjoy the book but it wasn't as captivating as the first, which is frustrating as there are moments of brilliance here. If you enjoyed the first book
Debra
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
In spite of all the DNA and coding information other reviewers have complained of, I enjoyed this sequel to Ring very much. It's pace was good and I sped right through it to its horrifying conclusion. Of course, now I need to read the next one in the series!
Andrei Săndulache
Apr 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Weirdest thing I've ever read...
Kristian Dobson
Feb 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Worst book I've ever read. I hope I get the ring virus and die tbh.
A.M.G. ☮Hippie/Fantasia☮
Rating: 4.5 / 5

Ultimately, it all comes down to how much craziness a person can stand and/or prefers to have in their stories. I came to this novel because I did not know what "Ring" was from just the first one, and the expansion of the concept was intriguing alongside Koji Suzuki's superb writing style. So, I read on.

If I had to sum up Spiral, I would say that it is a metaphysical take on Ring, in that the first novel is actually a player in this story as a story in story form. The main plot-li
Amy
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
While the first book had subtle sexism that was merely annoying, this book's sexism was all out disgusting. I enjoyed the storyline and the paranormal mystery of it all, but the gross male characters kept getting in the way. Examples: male character saying he can smell when a woman is on her period, implying that women feel weak and off balance when they're on their periods, not having any complex or fleshed out female characters, smelling a woman's panties when you barely know her, attempting t ...more
Ana-Maria Bujor
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I liked this book significantly more than the first one, it's more like a 3.5 stars. It helps not knowing what the twists and turns are and I liked the direction of the book. Which is not really a horror one with spooky ghosts, but a sci-fi with some rather complex science included in it. I liked where it was going quite a bit. It reminded me a bit of Annihilation.
The concepts are super neat, but again, the main problem is with the characters. Ando is a decent but not very interesting protagoni
Pomme_SayaL
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zak
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, horror, series
Sequel to "Ring" and #2 in the series. There is a lot of science, code-breaking and technical stuff here which I suspect might not appeal to fans looking for pure horror. The story arc takes a major turn from the first book. Personally, I enjoyed the first one a bit more but I really marvel at the mind of the writer who can cook up this kind of storyline. [Rating: 3.5*]
Pearce
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dracula-sucks
Some really unexpected plot turns in this one.

I got a bit tired of the constant repetition though - the writer didn’t seem to trust the reader to remember what had happened previously and kept reminding us. It felt kind of like a collected serial in that way. I get why you’d have a detailed recap of the previous book, but why was there sometimes a detailed recap of the previous chapter?
Sadie Ruin
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I think anything would struggle to match the original book, but I also really enjoyed the scientific turn this book took. It didn't have as much in the way of actual horror, but still was rather eerie. I look forward to seeing how book three stacks up to the previous two.
Nick Traynor
I thought it was scarier that the first one and it was pretty entertaining mostly. The ending was preposterously stupid though; the "science" was annoyingly bad and the very last pages amounted to something no reasonable person could accept. Still, I want to read the 3rd one.
Goodreads Librari...: Page count missing 3 25 Aug 26, 2015 08:45AM

• Audition
  • Parasite Eve
  • The Graveyard Apartment
  • Piercing
  • Real World
  • Another Episode S / 0 (light novel)
  • In the Miso Soup
  • Grotesque
  • The Thief
  • 綁架遊戲
  • Đèn Không Hắt Bóng
Suzuki Kōji (鈴木光司) is a Japanese writer, who was born in Hamamatsu and currently lives in Tokyo. Suzuki is the author of the Ring novels, which has been adapted into a manga series. He has written several books on the subject of fatherhood. He is currently on the selection committee for the Japan Fantasy Novel Award.

His recent novel Edge puts the main theme on Feynman point.

Ring (6 books)
  • Ring (Ring, #1)
  • Loop (Ring, #3)
  • Birthday (Ring, #4)
  • エス [Esu]
  • タイド [Taido] (Ring, #6)

News & Interviews

“There was no more meaningless phrase in all of language than "Cheer up!" The only way to get someone to cheer up was to help them forget, and saying "cheer up" had quite the opposite effect, only reminding the person why he or she was depressed in the first place.” 39 likes
“People can endure almost anything but there's one thing they can't survive. Man is an animal that can't stand boredom” 12 likes