Start by marking “I Need More” as Want to Read:
I Need More

I Need More

A collection of autobiographical stories, I Need More is the chronicle of musician Iggy Pop. From his childhood in Ann Arbor, Michigan to the inception and evolution of the seminal rock band, the Stooges, Pop vividly recalls his tales of reckless abandon in his own frank and indomitable manner and confirms his rightful position as a cultural iconoclast and one of rock ...more
Published February 1st 1997 by Two Thirteen Sixty One Publications (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about I Need More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Need More

Start your review of I Need More
Dave
Nov 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I don't know. Is it important for books to be challenging to read or to drive into the heart of the human experience? Or is it more important to read something that goes down smoothly and makes you dream of being a badass? This one I read and reread. I tried to live some of the small details in the book. I try to talk the way he writes. So much of the book is great because it makes no sense. He says "You know what i mean?" No we don't. Also, I do not believe his story on how he dodged the draft. ...more
Andy
Jan 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: stooges fans, punk fans, glitter rockers
Shelves: rock-sleaze
Halfway decent autobio of Iggy Pop. One can't help but feel he's holding quite a bit back, though. At times I found his ego to be a little overwhelming, almost getting in the way of telling his story. I bet the Asheton Brothers could probably write a better Stooges book since they have nothing to lose.
Bari
Mar 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
along with dee dee ramone, i will read anything about/by iggy pop.
David
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this book in 1982 when it first came out. I was listening to his new album Zombie Birdhouse at the time and was totally into it. So I was (and am) a biased reader. That said, this felt like a truly honest and revealing look inside Iggy's (James's) mind. If a person is looking for the "whole story" though, this isn't it, as it was only current up to 1981.

I don't see Anne Wehrer's name on this edition, but she co-wrote it. There are sections of the book where he's talking directly to her.
Jared
Jun 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is practically the only good rock autobiography (haven't read 'chronicles' tho) - basically, ig's a poet, and the small miniatures in this book are excellent observations on the technique of giving voice to the pain at the middle of the wild life. And, also, funny as hell.

What's so cool about Iggy is that he kind of played the stupid lug, but was always this ruminative, intellectual about it. The greek ideal. "Look out, I'm gonna rip your convertible top."

Vittorio
Sep 17, 2007 rated it liked it
Pop has no writing talent (although his recent Lollapalooza set matched any live show I have ever seen.) But this idiosyncratic and profane diary is fascinating in spots. And of course every one should have "The Stooges" and "Fun House" in their record collections.
Cindi
Apr 14, 2008 marked it as to-read
I would like to read as many rock 'n' roll books as possible. The subject matter makes up for the nerdiness of reading, I guess.
Victoria
Apr 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
I feel like he could've said more, but the pictures were good.
Christie
Oct 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-movies
Iggy rules- read this and find out why.
Andrew
May 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Loads of fun (it almost goes without saying). Still, probably not as good as it could have been.
Kathleen
While I liked this book, I wouldn't recommend to anybody who is not a diehard Iggy Pop fan.
Patty
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very rock-n-roll! I love Iggy!
Sashko  Liutyj
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
така собі штука. шматки інтерву.
Ed Wagemann
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Why Everything You Think You Know About Punk Is Completely Wrong:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Ryan Johnson
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Really brings you into the screwed-up world of the Stooges during their heyday. Sort of like my youth in book form with artistic genius sprinkled on top.
Melting Uncle
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
perfect
Fishface
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, music
Great stuff. The feces-smeared, hung-over, recently-arrested stuff that legends are made of. All this and aluminum-foil wigs, too!
Robert Barbantini
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Written like an average intelligence middle school kid but interesting nonetheless....not a life style I'd care to follow, however.
Maj
May 11, 2012
Olivia treloar
Sep 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Maggie the Mechanic (Locas, #1)
  • Season of Mists (The Sandman, #4)
  • Speak of the Devil
  • Guilty Not Guilty
  • Soccer in Sun and Shadow
  • Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk
  • Grave Intent  (Jan Tommen Investigation #2)
  • Get in the Van: On the Road With Black Flag
  • Nelson
  • The Whispering Skull (Lockwood & Co., #2)
  • The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., #3)
  • The Empty Grave (Lockwood & Co., #5)
  • The Creeping Shadow (Lockwood & Co., #4)
  • Until the Debt is Paid  (Jan Tommen Investigation #1)
  • We Owe You Nothing: Punk Planet: The Collected Interviews
  • This Is This Country: The official book of the BAFTA award-winning show
  • On The Road With The Ramones
  • Lobotomy: Surviving the Ramones
James Newell Osterberg, better known by his stage name Iggy Pop, is an American rock singer, songwriter, and occasional actor. Although he has had only limited commercial success, Iggy Pop is considered an innovator of punk and related styles. He is sometimes referred to by the nicknames "the Godfather of Punk" and "the Rock Iguana," and is widely acknowledged as one of the most dynamic stage ...more
“I've probably been spit on more that any person alive outside of, I would say, a member of the prison system.” 3 likes
“А вот еще сильное ощущение. Помню, однажды во втором классе я почему–то опоздал на школьный автобус, и пришлось маме везти меня в школу. Ей надо было на работу, а школа еще не открылась, так что я минут 15 стоял с портфельчиком и ждал. И там же стояли двое пятиклассников, одетых, как враги Джеймса Дина из фильма «Бунтарь без причины». Стояли болтали — настоящие хулиганы — и тут я услышал это слово: «shit». Раньше я никогда его не слышал. Однако почему–то мгновенно понял, что оно означает. Я был: поражен. Очень сильное впечатление — очень.” 0 likes