Start by marking “The LA Commandments” as Want to Read:
The LA Commandments

The LA Commandments

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  39 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Joanne Kavanagh and best friend Suzie pack their bags and swap dreary, depressing Dublin for the cool Californian coast. Both are determined to start a new life in the land of opportunity, leaving behind the recession and their complicated families.
They make a pact at the airport to stick religiously to the ‘LA Commandments’, a list of ten ‘Thou Shalt Nots’ for their new l
Kindle Edition
Published August 18th 2011 by Book Republic (first published August 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The LA Commandments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The LA Commandments

Leah
Aug 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Gillian Duffy’s debut novel only came to my attention when Gillian emailed us to as us if we’d like to review her book. I wasn’t sure it was my kind of novel so I took a look at the synopsis, liked what I saw and was pleased with the preview I got to read so I said I’d love to read it. I love books set in LA, it’s a place I really want to visit one day and I love reading other people’s interpretations about American states. I thought The LA Commandments was a very enjoyable read.

The LA Commandme
Rea Cobb
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My Opinion
I have just finished reading Gillian Duffy’s first novel The LA Commandments and there is only one word I can use to describe this book and that is perfect!

Duffy really brings each of the characters personalities out in this novel which makes the characters feel real and familiar. I cannot imagine any reader not liking our main character Jo, she is full of life and is such a lovely down to earth character. Jo and Suzie are best friends and we can see how much they care for each other w
Isabella
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Desperate to get away from recession in Dublin and their complex families, Joanne and Suzie head to Los Angles, California to start a new life. They plan on spending days shopping, soaking up the sun on the beach, enjoying the nightlife, and meeting new people. They set rules for themselves, the most important being “thou shall not fall in love,” but not everything goes according to plan.

Joanne “Jo” and Marc = Not complicated! There’s little drama (except for at the end), and they seem to be in
Edel
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea when I started reading this book that by the end I would have tears running down my face as I read the end of the book. I had in fact believed that those days of feeling real emotions from just reading were far behind me.. Then I read this book!!

Gillian Duffy tells us the story about two friends, Jo and Suzie. These best friends live in Ireland and since the recession things have not been going well in these girls lives, so they do what any sensible pale Irish girl with milk bottle
Kate
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I read the synopsis I knew that this would be my kind of book and it didn’t take long for it to capture my interest, the idea of moving to California for a year-long adventure really intrigued me (it is definitely something that I would love to do) and I couldn’t wait to find out how it would all go for Jo and Suzie.

I got so involved with all the characters in the story, I seemed to feel everything they were feeling – happiness, sadness, hope and shock. By the time I got to the end of the b
Romancing the Book
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, contemporary
Reviewed By- Robin
Review Copy Provided By- Publisher
Ms. Duffy takes us between Ireland and the United States in this story of the world of singles in LA. As we fall in love with the characters and slip right into their lives as if they were someone that we actually may know.

Jo Kavanagh and her best friend Suzie leave Ireland for the land of opportunity, LA. Dublin has become very depressing and wanting a change they head to sunny California.

Leaving the recession, complicated families they make a
Rachel
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!!!
2013 Bookclub
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A book club favourite.
Barbara
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I recently took up The LA Commandments for second time and AGAIN it was a fabulous read, showcasing young talented Irish Writers. Exciting and heartwarming. Add this book to your list.
Julliet
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. The story line was fun and full of meaning. It was really written well!
Bookishgirl
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. Gives a nice break from the rain too.
Deborah
May 28, 2012 rated it liked it
The L.A. Commandments ultimately turned out to be quite different to what I expected. The beginning had all the makings of a typical Irish-girl-goes-to-the-States type chick lit novel. However, it didn't quite have the same fizz and fluff of that type of story. In the end, it was vastly different.

I didn't dislike the story of Jo and Suzie and their year in Los Angeles, but I didn't love it. To be honest, I'd probably give it 3.5 stars, rather than 3. For me, it never quite ignited. All of the ch
Samantha March
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I received a copy of The L.A. Commandments in exchange for an honest review. Joanne Kavanagh is excited to get away from dreary Dublin and head to the land of sun and fun – California. With best friend Suzie along for the ride, the girls are ready for a new chapter in their lives. They develop a list of LA Commandments – the top commandment being ‘Thou Shall Not Fall in Love.’ But of course, that is so much easier said than done. Quickly befriending some men, including musician Marc and player C ...more
Patricia Whelan
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book, couldnt put it down and could really see myself living in LA while I was reading it, the autor has great attention to the detail of LA and the 2 characters came to life as soon as you started to read it.....well worth a read would definitely read again which I always think is a sign of a really enjoyable book !
Audrey
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading the LA Commandments over the weekend and really enjoyed it. Great storyline, believable, endearing characters and a writing style that will have me recommending this book to my friends.
Love2read
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Looking forward to the next one.
Audrey Conway
Sophie
Jun 05, 2012
Tracey Daly
Christina
rated it did not like it
Mar 11, 2013
Aug 23, 2011
Shayla Penrose
Eunice lopez
Nov 30, 2012
Gillian's debut novel, The LA Commandments, was published in August 2011 by Book Republic, an imprint of Maverick House. Her second novel will be published next year.

Gillian is currently studying English and History in St. Patrick's College, Dublin. Her other interests include screenwriting, music and photography.
More about Gillian Duffy...