Start by marking “Forbidden” as Want to Read:
Forbidden

Forbidden

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  8,365 Ratings  ·  646 Reviews
A romantic and endearing novel perfect for fans of Rachel Vincent, Julie Kagawa, and Alyson Noel, from bestselling author Syrie James and her son, Ryan.

When Claire Brennan begins to get psychic visions and mysterious warnings that she’s in danger at the start of her junior year, she isn’t sure what to think. But the truth is stranger than anything she could have imagined.

A
Published January 24th 2012 by HarperTeen

Wendy
Mar 16, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't actually finish this, I only reached page 137. It is your average paranormal high school angel romance, enough that I would have finished reading it, most likely, and probably given it a decent rating. So why did I stop?

I have noticed an increasing trend in young adult books using derogatory terms in reference to individuals with developmental disabilities, in this case, on page 137, "Holy crap," Erica said. "We've been so short-bus about this."

Teenagers probably think this is funny an
Amy Lignor
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For anyone who reads great books the name Syrie James should already be on top of all ‘to-read’ lists, as well as categorized as a consistent ‘5-Star’ author on all reviewer’s lists. Whether taking on Jane Austen, vampires, or anything else you can think of, Ms. James definitely knows how to create a story that is the ‘best of the best.’ But this time around she brings two new things to the table: The subject of angels told in a new way that hasn’t already been done six hundred times; and her so ...more
Mizuki
It's a 'I had read better written, more exciting fanfics about angels than this book' 1.5 stars.

Be warned that NOTHING HAPPENS within the first 200+ pages of this novel, the story is filled by the daily affairs of the heroine and her friends from the freaking high school.

(A special thank to Jun Bisque, a dear friend of mine who made this jpg.)

Also, you have to be warned against the dull writing, the cardboard cutout characters, cheesy romance, I'm a special innocent snowflake Mary Sue heroine,
Fireminess
I'm sorry if this is all over the place, but this book made me angry.

Okay. Practically everything that I consider wrong with young adult genre is in 'Forbidden'. There are so much nonsense in this book. As it progresses it gets better, yes, but only slightly. The worst chapter is the first one, where we are getting introduced to the characters who are going to annoy be with us for the rest of the 400+ pages. The book is written in two POV's - one is in Claire's (the protagonist) and the other o
Jana at ThatArtsyReaderGirl.com
I was SO excited when Syrie wrote to me and told me that I was the first ever recipient of a Forbidden ARC! I read this book back in August, and was very happy when it was requested that I post this review now, rather than wait for the month of the release. Put this on your Christmas lists, guys! I think you'll enjoy it. :)

First off, I really loved the story. The premise was interesting, and I like how I had to keep guessing and trying to figure out what was going on. I liked the tactic the aut
Wren [t(he)y]

This review can also be found at http://fortheloveofbooksreviews.blogs...

Claire goes to school at Emerson Academy, and she's hoping that she gets to stay there to graduate high school. She and her mother move around a lot, and Claire wants to stay for a while near her friends and crush for once. Things are changing for Claire, though. She's been having visions and she knows things that she shouldn't ... The idea of possibly being psychic scares yet excites her at the same time.

Alec is new at Em
Kai
Nothing against the book but...

This book is very nice if we see it from one perspective but from the other perspective this book is a bit lone and things took a lot of time to develop.Even the story took a lot of time to develop .
If this book had been in a series the. the review would have been different .As it was slow aand to to long.

The characters were great and the way they developed in the story was also very good but as I already said slow Pace made it less readable.As it had double pov it
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Stereotypical characters fall into the YA trope of insta-love, but with an angel mythos that has an interesting twist to it.

Opening Sentence: It had been a really crappy morning.

The Review:

The premise of the novel was interesting, even if the angel mythology isn’t anything new. It’s got a few interesting twists that I enjoyed, but for the most part it’s got the same staples as most YA paranormals. The strongest part of the novel was the char
FicTalk Blog
Reviewed by Meg

I’m starting to wonder if a lovelorn angel lusting after a human or chasing after a nephilim is the new trend coming in on the tail of vampire fiction. Forbidden, by mother and son duo Syrie and Ryan James can definitely be slipped in with the forlorn angel breaking the code of his angelic lifestyle that seems to be the current trend in the YA paranormal genre. Forbidden follows Claire, who essentially lives a gypsy lifestyle with her mother, flitting from place to place with no r
Leigh Herondale
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
For more review check out: http://hypnosomnus-leighmarbella.blog... and http://sybillinebooks.tumblr.com

I finished reading Forbidden by mother and son tandem, Syrie and Ryan James. The novel is about Claire and Alec, who are both different in their own ways. I don’t want to mention why because I might spoil the story for future readers.

Claire and her mom are constantly on the move because her mom believes that she’s constantly in danger and she’s kinda’ paranoid about it. Although, her paranoia
Kelly
Jan 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Syrie James’s first two paranormal novels, Dracula, My Love and Nocturne, and so I was happy to try her new young adult paranormal, Forbidden, co-written with her son Ryan James. I enjoyed Forbidden but found that it didn’t quite stack up against the two aforementioned books.

Forbidden centers on Claire, a studious high school girl; and Alec, a Grigori angel who goes AWOL from his job of eliminating fallen Nephilim (human/angel hybrids) and decides to attend high school. It turns out th
Kaede
WARNING: This review may come across as author/book bashing. Honestly, I really don't give a shit.

1.5

I think I should stop buying books I know nothing about. I picked up Forbidden because it had pretty cover, but I can definitely say that this was not money well spent. I wouldn't even recommend this book to someone I hate. It's just that bad.

[image error]

I think the authors need to recreate their characters. I didn't find any of them memorable, likable, and relatable in the slightest. They were
Kreiden
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
“Breath taking since the Hush, Hush Series.”

OMG! This book takes my breath away since the Hush, Hush Series. The story is very simple but as you read further you’re going to discover some new events that may shock you.

This is definitely one of my favorite books. Reading it makes me feel kinda familiar since I’ve read a lot of Angel Novels, but it has it’s uniqueness kind-a-way to express the conflict of the story.

Claire and Alec: The two characters that you’re going to fell in love with—and also
Natalie
Click here to read this review on my blog, Mindful Musings.

In a Sentence: Forbidden showed some good writing, but the story and romance fell flat for me.

My Thoughts

Forbidden was one of those books that showed up unexpectedly in my mailbox. I honestly hadn't heard much about it, but it was a YA book, and I'm almost always interested in the books HarperTeen sends me, so I figured I'd pick it up and give it a whirl so I could try to have a review up close to its publication date.

The premise of F
Carla
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason my original review didn't save. So here we go again......

This was your typical 'Forbidden Love' book!! But I truly enjoyed it, it was cute in a sense. I really liked that the Authors used some swearing (that's always a plus for me, don't judge). There were no secrets between friends, which was a nice change. Every character was included throughout the whole book. I gave this book 4 stars because it was:

1. Predictable -.50 of a star
2. Not enough action -.50 of a star

This was a rea
ILoveBooks
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc

All Claire wants is to be noticed by her crush and be a normal teenager. As far has the second goal goes, she was doing pretty well...until she discovers she may have visions that come true. She is thrust into a different world, one that confuses her. Her past is unknown and she attempts to sieve through her past to figure out what she can expect in the future.

Alec is an angel watcher, he is tired of this life and desires a normal one. When he begins attending Claire's school, he does not expect
Lyn  Ching
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For more reviews, please visit my blog: www.readingtsinoy.blogspot.com

Claire is a smart young woman who reaches puberty late (read: period at 17) and with it comes psychic powers slowly, but surely, getting stronger as each day passes. She can see both a person’s past and future with just a touch. Afraid that her mother would make them pack up and leave town again, she decides to keep this a secret, telling only her two best friends: Erica and Bryan. On the day her power manifests, she meets a b
Kassiah
I was so excited to read this book, so maybe I had built it up too much in my mind. Maybe my expectations were too high.

Take the forbidden romance and the hero's sense of protection before happiness in Twilight (without the swoon), add in the dream-like states of Falling Under (without the swoon) and the angel elements of Unearthly (again, without the swoon), and what do you get?

I'm not sure. But I think it would be something similar to Forbidden.

Claire, a seventeen year old junior at exclusiv
Mesa
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my, my!

What an amazing book!

As my first book about angels, my expectation wasn't high but I’m glad that I read it. This is a fascinatingparanormal book that will keep you on the edge. It’s really fun trying to predict what will happen next throughout the book. I love that it’s in third person, with two perspectives--Claire and Alec’s. It really made it easier to relate to readers, to understand their point of view.

Claire goes to Emerson, a private school. She’s intelligent and sarcastic. Cl
Sylvia
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: angels, young-adult
I have been wanting to read this book forever since falling in love with the cover and being somewhat intrigued that a mother and son co-wrote it together. And I must say I was not disappointed. There were at times that the story lulled in parts and I was wondering when it would pick up, but other than that it kept me captivated and intrigued enough to continue.

The story is told in two POV's and it works magically not breaking a seam and you really cannot tell that it was co-written. The writin
Bundles of
Nov 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was the first ARC I ever reviewed....so here it goes! I really enjoyed this book. Claire Brennan is a girl that is not the most popular in school, so when she has to go back to Emerson Academy, she is happy to see her two best friends, Brian and Erica. While they were waiting in line to get their textbooks, Erica realizes a very hot guy behind them. They exchange names and find out his is Alec. At first, Claire thinks he is a stuck-up snob because his lack of communication with them... ...more
Kami
Okay, so this review will be short and to the point. There is nothing profound or thought provoking about this book. The characters are flat, the plot and characters are predictable. The main couple Claire and Alec fall way too quickly for each other - I am okay with the whole "love at first sight" romance if the characters have some depth and get to know one another. There is very little character development though. And, unless there will be a sequel, there are a plethora of unanswered questio ...more
Valerie
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I hate to give a book a cold review. My brain just won't stop screaming, "What?! Like you could do better?" So I fully acknowledge that no, no I could not write a better book. Still, I know weak writing when I read it.

To start, I finished the whole thing. I read the teaser for free on-line, and then bought the full book for my Kindle, after already knowing the writing was over-the-top cliche. I liked the story premise, and (protagonist 1) Clare's perspective was written pretty well. Alec's (pro
Danny
Feb 05, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Read the First 100 Pages but couldn't get into the story. I'll pick up another time!
Mimi Valentine
A pretty cute book, but a little too cookie-cutter and predictable for my tastes. Still, it was alright! :)

Review to come.
Carina
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, arc
ARC received through Goodreads FirstReads.

Before going into this book, I had one of those unshakeable feelings that I was not going to like it. Forbidden sounded uninspired and unoriginal, with the same regurgitated elements of every other YA paranormal book out today: forbidden love, average paranormalness, seemingly ordinary main character who isn’t so ordinary, mysterious love interest, everyone is hot, insta-love attraction. You know, the typical menagerie of bleeh.

Within the first chapter,
Heather
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you ever feel like reading some YA is a guilty pleasure? I do. Especially some of Harper Teens books. And this was one of those. Prop up my pillows, have my coffee and my music and turn off the phone. Be quiet, I'm reading. Forbidden is a little on the youngish side of the YA spectrum, but it was an interesting addition to the already large pile of angel books in YA today.

The main character, Claire Brennan is a junior at an elite prep school, on scholarship and has to keep her grades up in o
Kristi-The Book Faery
THE FAERYS VIEW

Forbidden written by mother and son duo Syrie James and Ryan M. James was an incredibly enjoyable book for me. I enjoyed it so much that I pretty much had all 400+ pages read in just under a day. I was pleasantly surprised by how well the duo meshed together. The writing was seamless and I personally couldn’t tell a difference between the writing styles of mother and son. I think this says a lot about the talent of both authors and just how well they worked together on Forbidden.

I
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids

Forbidden for me is one of those book that you sit down to read thinking you'll read a few chapters, but before you know it you're almost done with the book. While this book didn't sweep me off my feet, it's one that I really liked spending time reading. The story's intriguing, and it's one that kept me reading, because I wanted to know what was going to be revealed next. More importantly I wanted to know what Claire and Alex where. I love it when an author doesn't reveal everything at
H.Lee
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the first look, this book interested me. The cover is amazingly beautiful. I love the contrast of the colors and the transparent angel wings. This is definitely a cover that will shout out to you while sitting on the shelves.

This is a tail of “Forbidden” love. Alec and Claire meet at their private school on book day. This is the day that everyone comes in before school starts to collect all your books and locate your locker. Claire and her friends notice Alec in line and decide to take him
Is there a second book? 16 185 Mar 17, 2013 07:34AM
♥!The Young Adult...: Forbidden 6 146 Jul 04, 2012 08:43PM
  • Halflings (Halflings, #1)
  • A Temptation of Angels
  • Angel Eyes (Angel Eyes, #1)
  • Dragonswood (Wilde Island Chronicles, #2)
  • All That Bleeds (Etherlin, #1)
  • Silver (Bandia, #1)
  • Until Next Time (The Angel Chronicles, #1)
  • Dreaming Awake (Falling Under, #2)
  • Awakened (Prequel, The Guardian Legacy)
  • Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers, #1)
  • Above
  • Harbinger
  • The Halo Chronicles: The Guardian
  • Destiny's Fire (Kythan Guardians)
  • Illuminate (Gilded Wings, #1)
  • Illuminated
  • Exile (Mercy, #2)
  • The Treachery of Beautiful Things
Syrie James is the bestselling author of nine critically acclaimed novels, including Jane Austen's First Love, The Missing Manuscript of Jane Austen, The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen, The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte, Nocturne, Dracula My Love, Forbidden, and The Harrison Duet: Songbird and Propositions. Her books have been translated into eighteen foreign languages.

Syrie was named after a ch
More about Syrie James...

“Let's not think about the worst. I believe that anything worth having is worth fighting for.” 29 likes
“Some habits are harder to break than others” 13 likes