Start by marking “Make it Paleo: Over 200 Grain Free Recipes For Any Occasion” as Want to Read:
Make it Paleo: Over 200 Grain Free Recipes For Any Occasion

Make it Paleo: Over 200 Grain Free Recipes For Any Occasion

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  969 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Transitioning from conventional foods to a grain-free Paleo lifestyle can be a daunting proposition to most people. Hayley Mason and Bill Staley, authors of The Food Lovers Primal Palate, show you how easy it is to take any dish and Make it Paleo! Adapted from Chinese, French, Mexican and classic American meals, the over 200 mouthwatering recipes are each accompanied by vi ...more
Published October 20th 2011 by Victory Belt Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Make it Paleo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make it Paleo

Keri (Va-Voom!)
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in a healthier lifestyle.
This is an excellent book to read if you are interested in Paleo. What is Paleo? Well, there's a lot of background information and science to it, but in a nutshell, it's eating much in the way that Paleolithic man did way back when. The premise behind the eating is that we have not evolved enough to be able to consume the amount of grains and dairy that we currently do (at least in the Standard American Diet.) So, when you eat Paleo, you eat no grains and no dairy (and no sugar.) It's pretty muc ...more
Lydia
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, nutrition
There are things I liked about this Paleo cookbook and things I didn't. The photography was well done. A few of the recipes sounded interesting but a lot of the meat recipes seemed similar with slight variations. I was disappointed there wasn't more variety and creativity in the recipes. Most of them are basics you can find in any Paleo cookbook. If you are new to the Paleo way of eating or new to home cooking in general this would probably be a helpful book for you. I made the Paleo mayo recipe ...more
Shannon
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I recently read The World Until Yesterday: What Can We Learn from Traditional Societies? and was taken aback by the information regarding how much healthier our hunting and gathering ancestors were versus our farming ancestors. Now, I'd heard, for years, that processed foods, sugars and grains aren't healthy for many if not most of us. But, I was somewhat shocked, wondering if, all things considered, they were even healthier than we are with all of our technology and medical advancements. Of cou ...more
Alison Golden
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paleo
This is one of the classic paleo cookbooks. It has a lot of recipes (it is big and heavy!) which work very well and it is, of course, because Bill is a great photographer, full of great images. The recipes are easy, well laid out and easy to read (something I am increasingly coming to appreciate. I like the fact that they make a statement of caution at the beginning of the dessert section. It is a misconception that we can eat as many desserts as there are paleo dessert recipes and stay healthy/ ...more
Marty Wilson
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
These guys have written the most amazing and comprehensive, life-saving book on the Paleo lifestyle. Well researched and amazingly tasty foods that will ensure that you are on your way to a more healthy body.

A BIG book. I loved it!
Marcia
Sep 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
I waited a month for this book in my library system, which tells me that there is at least some demand for books with Paleo recipes or about the Paleo lifestyle. I say that to say this: this book would probably sell reasonably well if it had a better publisher, including 1. a copy editor 2. a developmental editor 3. a graphic designer 4. a photo editor and 5. a format that does not resemble a softcover heavy glossy-stock catalog that necessitates carrying and reading with two hands.

There are pro
Deodand
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, usa
I'm not a paleo/primal eater - I came to this book for advice and recipes that feature fewer grains. There are a few recipes here I'll try, and some pretty good ideas for side dishes. But...I'm not thrilled with the amount of coconut in this recipe book. I realize it's a major source of sweetness to the paleo/primal crowd but it's not very sustainable where I live.

My opinions about the recipes aside, this is a nicely-organized book with big photos of every recipe.
Jenna
Jan 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking-baking
Beautiful but complicated. A better cooking book for entertaining and special occasions. For example, most of the recipes use palm shortening and I can't find this anywhere. While there are substitutes offered, I like to stick with the original recipes first time around. Other than that, useful and pretty. The layout could be better (it's a bit cluttered), but all around good effort.
Crystal
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Yes, I read this recipe book. It's just fantastic. EACH recipe comes with a full color photo which is really phenomenal. There are a lot of good ideas, information on the Paleo diet and personal anecdotes on the recipes that really make this book feel as if you have been given a personal gift from the authors.
AnandaTashie
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, non-fic
This book features over 200 grain-free recipes, each with full color photos and easy to follow instructions. None of the recipes call for a million ingredients, which is much appreciated by me. And, though it's not "strictly paleo", the dessert section is completely fantastic for grain-free, low-sweetener yummies.
Merry Kruger
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
beautiful deliciousness!

I haven't actually made any of these recipes as I read this beautifully illustrated cookbook while waiting for 2 family members to get out of surgery. I want to make every recipe and then write another review which will probably be 6 stars! Can I do that?? I think that I can and I will. Thanks, Bill and Haley
Elisabeth
I got this one from the library. Wonderful, inspiring photos make it easy to flick through and find something you want to make. I've made a few recipes so far and I'm pretty pleased with how they came out. The raspberry muffins were a little too sweet (my son complained they tasted like cupcakes!) but I like this book a lot and plan to add it to *my* library at some point.
Marina
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-have
Currently on a diet similar to Paleo.Love this book.My holistic nurse suggested I read it.Still reading it.Love the images in here.Plus, easy to understand and follow recipes. Great charts in the beginning of the book.Hope to make sweet potato fries soon!
Aimee
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amazing cookbook for anyone interested in paleo/primal/gluten-free cooking. This cook book is HUGE, with a wealth of information and recipes. It reads like a novel, but with amazing photography included. All recipes tested so far have turned out as described and terrific!
Rain Hannah
Mar 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
I was really disappointed in this paleo cookbook. The recipes were not that great, or particularly original. There are better "basic" paleo cookbooks out there. This one is not going to enhance your collection much.
Brooke
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The recipes are phenomenal and simple, and they have some good cooking tips throughout the book. There is a full page photo for every recipe and the pictures of the food look delicious. Great cookbook for paleo lovers!
Ryan
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book does an amazing job of explaining some principals of Paleo eating prior to showing you all the amazing recipies they have. Check out their website, and try their eBook "30 Day Intro to Paleo" If you are thinking about changing your diet!
Jeanne
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought the cookbooks had great pictures and a great layout. Most of the recipes didn't catch my eye though. Some of that is due to the fact that I live in a small town where it is difficult to find certain types of meat like lamb.
Amy
Such a good recipe book, must buy a copy for myself so I can use it for longer than the library copy I checked out. Tons of grain free recipes, including tons of treat recipes and good main course preparations.
Tara
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Too many ingredients.
Ginny
Jan 10, 2015 added it
Shelves: 2015, paleo
Need to buy this. I want every recipe!
Monique
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
Wonderful book more than a cookbook. Clearly describes the Paleo way and gives you a step-by-step process of change. There were a few editing issues with cook time and ingredients.
Elizabeth
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good recipes, and an interesting read.
Heather Wiese
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Some great recipes in here for paleo eating. I appreciate the simpler recipes, because let's face it, we don't all have time to cook extravagant meals. I need quick ideas!
Amanda
Another amazing reference piece for making all sorts of delightful food. I filled this one with color tabs by section, wrote notes, and have a large number of things to try out in the coming days!
Lisa Crouch
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Great cookbook with photos for every recipe. I might buy this one.
Kari Metzger
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Best paleo book I've tried - so yummy, and great if you are celiac or diabetic! Highly recommend as the book you start with if you eliminate wheat or sugar from your diet!
Jenn
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
There are some definite reasons to get this book but it is probably the one we turn to least right now.
Maria Lucas
I thought it was cute take on paleo.
Rebecca
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best cookbooks I own!
  • Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking for a Gluten-Free Kitchen
  • Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook: Real Food for Real Life
  • Eat Like a Dinosaur: Recipe and Guidebook for Gluten-Free Kids
  • Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals: Delicious, Primal-Approved Meals You Can Make in Under 30 Minutes
  • The Paleo Slow Cooker: Healthy, Gluten-free Meals the Easy Way
  • Against All Grain: Delectable Paleo Recipes to Eat Well & Feel Great
  • Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat
  • The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook: Breakfasts, Entrées, and More
  • Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle
  • Real Life Paleo: 175 Gluten-Free Recipes, Meal Ideas, and an Easy 3-Phased Approach to Lose Weight & Gain Health
  • Paleo Indulgences: Healthy Gluten-Free Recipes to Satisfy Your Primal Cravings
  • The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body
  • Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life
  • The Paleo Diet Cookbook: More Than 150 Recipes for Paleo Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners, Snacks, and Beverages