Start by marking “Dragon Bones (Hurog, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Bones (Hurog, #1)

Dragon Bones (Hurog #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  9,498 Ratings  ·  465 Reviews
A magical tale from the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Iron Kissed.

Riding into a war that's heating up on the border, Ward, the new lord of Hurog, is sure he's on the fast track to glory. But soon his mission takes a deadly turn. For he has seen a pile of magical dragon bones hidden deep beneath Hurog Keep. The bones could prove to be dangerous in the wrong hand
Mass Market Paperback, 295 pages
Published February 26th 2002 by Ace Fantasy

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Bones

Kristalia
Final rating: 5/5 stars

What an awesome book. Really. I just couldn't put it down. I loved the writing even though it was switching from first person to third person, but i loved everything about it. Especially the characters, they were brilliant, fantastic and believable. I loved the story, i loved the setting and i loved everything about it.
P.s. the image/cover is Danish, but it's awesome ♥

I am at loss for words at how epic this book is.

I am at loss for words at how epic this book is.

The story was quite interesting and to me it was even dar
Rob
Executive Summary: A fun political fantasy.

Audio book: Joe Manganiello is a fine reader, though nothing special. He neither adds nor detracts from the story at all.

Full Review
This is my first novel by Patricia Briggs. The name was familiar to me, but I wouldn't have been able to have named you any books or series by her.

I couldn't tell you if this is her usual style of book, but if it is, I'll definitely be interested in reading more. This doesn't seem to be as popular as some of her other ser
KatieV
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, fantasy
This is one of Briggs' earlier works. It is a sword and sorcery type of fantasy. As some readers have stated, it does seem to pack an awful lot of world building into a relatively small space. It was also a bit jarring when she went from a 1st person chapter to a 3rd person chapter so she could include some info about other characters in another place. Despite the fact that some of the polish of her later works is missing, I was drawn into the story and didn't get bored at all.

I listened to the
Carly
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of light epic fantasy
Recommended to Carly by: read with Snarktastic Sonja
**edited 12/08/13

Once upon a time, there were dragons.
Once upon a time, the men who made alliances with them became the Hurogmeten, the guardians of dragons.
Once upon a time, the lands of the Hurog were fertile, the people content, the world full of magic.
Once upon a time, there were dragons.
But that was long ago. Now, Ward, the son of the Hurog, lives in a decrepit castle where the lands themselves seem to be dying from the slow corruption of magic. The dragons may be gone, but Ward is quit
Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
A really well-done, entertaining fantasy. I had heard that Briggs' was known for "romantic" fantasy, which made me a bit apprehensive, but there was really no relationship-type romance in this story at all.
However, it was definitely a 'romance' is the old sense of the term!
Ward, a young heir to a remote fiefdom, had pretended to be brain-damaged in order to avoid his vicious father's jealous beatings. But when the old man passes away, he discovers his ruse, although it may have saved his life, h
Kristen
Dragon Bones is an entertaining, fairly short fantasy story with a great main character. Ward has been pretending to be someone he's not for years since he fears his father, but after his father dies he has to prove he's capable of taking his father's place. The beginning and ending tie together quite satisfactorily, and despite some slow pacing, it's a fun book.

3 1/2 stars - Liked it and definitely want to read the next book!

Full Review: http://www.fantasybookcafe.com/2016/0...
ShoSho
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow I love dragons!
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

Ward has only ever wanted to be the Lord of Hurog, he has protected himself and his siblings from the current Lord, his own father, with a shield of his own feigned stupidity and brute strength. However, his father has died and the very thing that has protected him, his pretend idiocy, has caused the Lordship of Hurog to pass to another. To protect himself and his sister and to get Hurog back Ward must prove that he is no idiot, and he sets out on a quest to regain his birthright.

Patricia Brig
Allie
I hate to say this, but for the most part I found this boring and forgettable. This audiobook was 9 hours long, and I found myself getting into it at 7 hours and 50 minutes. (I know because I had a "holy shit" moment when something finally sparked my interest, so I took notice of the time.) That said, I plan on listening to the next book; I'm hoping the boredom I endured with this book was in preparation for the next. And the narrator was easy to listen to.
Jakk Makk
Mar 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audiobook
Presumably female author fails to depict a masculine point of view. I wish the details were laughable, but they just strike a false note. As a man, have you ever given another man a "beautiful" black eye? A sadistic man might be proud of his handiwork, but why is he beating his allies, anyway? Maybe I mistook the hero for the villain, or maybe he's a ponce. Either way, I'm abandoning this mess. Pay someone to edit, Ms. Briggs, you'll be glad you did.
Cherry Mischievous
Okey, so I bought this audiobook because I wanna listen to Joe Manganiello's deep timbre. Can you blame me? Anyway, I like his voice so that makes the narrator a 5 out of 5, right? Well, the thing is I had to buy the paperback as well because there were parts I couldn't quite understand and had to replay them a few times before I get it. Having the book to read as well makes it easier for me. But I am pretty sure this is a fault on my part rather than Joe Manganiello's narration. And besides he ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Well, a good book. I was a bit torn about the rating. While I like the book and think it deserves a 4 star rating there were times that I found the story telling rather slow. I plan to "probably" read the next book but I'm not planning to grab it right away.

(view spoiler)
Max Mumma
Mar 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
Overview:
A fiction book named dRaGoN bOnEs by Patricia Briggs. The book is about a main character named Ward who becomes king after his father dies and has to find dragon bones to put them in a pile so a dragon can come back to life, to save his new kingdom called Hurog. Also the book shows to never give up at what you are doing or the goal you have set for yourself.

Prime Chapters and Structural Quirks:
The structure of the book is about Ward and his adventures. How it shows that is when Ward goe
Vasya
Jan 24, 2011 rated it liked it
This novel goes more toward the fantasy genre, than the paranormal, and I must say that Patricia Briggs somehow finds herself in this genre. It is perfectly suitable for her writing style, and she has the imagination and talent needed to pull it off.

I gave this book three stars because, even though Briggs is better in writing this than the paranormal genre, she is still treating it like paranormal and putting it in the paranormal box, while it is very clear that it doesn't belong there. It is ve
Naiya
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Dragon Bones opens with a plot concept that startled me with its familiarity. Ward is the oldest son of the Lord of Hurog, forced to pretend to be the family idiot to weather his father's abuse and paranoia. (A decision very similar to that of Ilya, from Mercedes Lackey's 1997 retelling of the Russian fairy-tale in Firebird.) But here, the story catches its stride and the sense of familiarity fades.

When Ward's father dies, the young man inherits the castle, the cursed and dying fields outside,
Christie
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this, but the world building was lacking. It was obvious the author had thought it out, but she wasn't sharing. I would have liked a better explanation of the kingdoms, cultures, and gods. Backstory is such a necessity in novels that fall in this genre and it wasn't well developed in Dragon Bones. This felt very character driven, which I usually like, but it wasn't to this book's advantage.

I did enjoy the characters and found most of them intriguing. I'll still read the next and hope f
Beth
Feb 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dead-tree
Complex and slightly depressing -- but a good ending. Interesting world building.
Soo
Mini-Review:

I am surprised by this book. For a while, I thought I had read it before because it seemed so familiar and yet I haven't. A new adventure with engaging new characters to discover and love. The narrator, Joe Manganiello, did a fantastic job imbuing just the right emotions. He really made Wade more alive with his interpretation.

This is one of the stories that I fall in love slowly. What seemed to be a rather simple take became more and events unfolded in a manner that really kept me e
Northwest_booknerd
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Not my favorite Patty Briggs book but it was good.
Dragana
Old-school fantasy on a small scale. It was OK, but I like Patricia Briggs' urban fantasy novels much more.
Limecello
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
oh man - WARD WARD WARD WARD WARD.

... WARD!!!!
So many interesting characters.

... WARD!!!!

B+
Fedele Colosimo
Mar 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Dragon bones is a fantasy book by Patricia Briggs that tells about a guy named Ward and his adventure to save his doomed kingdom from the evil forces that will stop at nothing to posses the dragon bones. The only remaining pieces of the most powerful creature the “Dragon kind”. In his quest to find these magical bones, he puts his kingdom into even more danger. The lesson that the author tries to portray to the reader it to never give up on what your trying to accomplish.

The most important chap
Brandon Casadei
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dragon Bones is a fantasy book where a man named Ward is forced to pretend to be the family idiot to weather his father's abuse and suspicion. He tries to find the Dragon Bones locked away for Centuries. When looking for the Bones Ward faces many challenges. One of the main challenges was that on his journey he faces enemies that were trying to find the bones as well but if they only looked in front of their eyes they would find what they are looking for. Ward was thinking of following them but ...more
Mary
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, hilarious
Although I didn't enjoy the Mercedes series by Briggs at all I actually really enjoyed the 2 Hurog books.
Ward is a funny character with a great sense of humor and a beautiful heart.
He speaks slowly and because of that people came to the conclusion that he was slow, when in actuality, he is a VERY intelligent individual. Ward also has an uncommon bond with the land he's grown up on and can find anyone anywhere on that land. 2 big event start off this book, 1st Ward's extremely abusive father dies
Suzi
Mar 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is the beginning of a series. When I finished the novel, I wished I had purchased the other books.

Ward, a nineteen year old idiot, is the main character. But he's not an idiot, he's just been playing one because his father is a murderer and has it out for him. He has a deaf sister whose growth into adulthood has brought some troubles and a suicidal brother who is missing, presumed dead, by all but Ward.

The cast of characters is large and they are all individualized. You don't mistake one fo
azerjaban
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I didn't read this book, I listened to the audio version in my car. To be honest I don't know if I would have read this in book format. I have no patience for fantasy's. Learning the names and pronunciations and places blgh. But all that was done for me so I just had to listen and keep it straight in my head. I'm glad I did.

Excellent book, great story with a troubled hero who's spent so long pretending he doesn't know who he is. Good story telling and emotions that had me crying while driving t
Jamie Collins
Mar 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I'm in a rare mood for a Swords & Horses fantasy, and this hit the spot. There's nothing particularly unique about the setting, but it's a nicely plotted story with good characterizations. I really enjoy Patricia Briggs' writing. Before I had even finished this one I went out and bought the second book in the duology.

Briggs owns horses, hence there are some realistic (as if I would know) horsey details in the book.
Jasmine
Jun 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ace-book, ace
Ahahahahaha. Sometimes I wish I could turn off my writer's critiquing view while I read. This was one of the times. You can totally tell it's an early work? The female characters all fall into odd caricatures, and the pacing is uneven.

But even with this, I laughed so much? It was a lot of fun, interspersed with horrified "wait, that character arc just did WHAT?". (It ends on fun, in case you worried.)
Kristin
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, magic
All I can say is that I wish this book had lived up to its potential. It has such good bones (no pun intended) but it just didn't come together into a great story. I kind of wish Briggs had written this one later, I'm sure it would be something great if she had written it today.
Sabrina
It starts off a bit confusing like there is a chapter or two missing. It also reads like a middle grade book intended for young boys of the D&D or Magic persuasion. However about a third of the way through it finds it's rhythm and becomes a book for adults with all it's mentions of little/young boy rape by lots of the characters along with beating of others. The dragon bones aren't really a big part of the book until almost the conclusion of the book and a mention in the beginning. Also ther ...more
Dragons, dragons ...: Hurog 1 4 Sep 14, 2012 05:57AM
  • Song of the Beast
  • Covenants (Borderlands, #1)
  • Redeeming the Lost (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #3)
  • Hidden Truth (Truth, #2)
  • Devlin's Luck (Sword of Change, #1)
  • Passage (The Sharing Knife, #3)
  • Fortune and Fate (Twelve Houses, #5)
  • The Serpent Sea (Books of the Raksura #2)
  • Magic Lost, Trouble Found (Raine Benares #1)
  • Joust (Dragon Jousters, #1)
  • Cast in Fury (Chronicles of Elantra #4)
  • The Hero Strikes Back (Hero, #2)
  • Dragon and Phoenix (Dragonlord, #2)

Patricia Briggs was born in Butte, Montana to a children’s librarian who passed on to her kids a love of reading and books. Patricia grew up reading fairy tales and books about horses, and later developed an interest in folklore and history. When she decided to write a book of her own, a fantasy book seemed a na
More about Patricia Briggs

Hurog (2 books)
  • Dragon Blood (Hurog, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Anger is stupid, and stupidity will kill you more surely than your opponent's blade.” 347 likes
“Intelligent men are dangerous.” 201 likes