Start by marking “Miss Pettybone's First Case ” as Want to Read:

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  93 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
If life is what you make it, then Miss Loraine Pettybone figured she took a wrong turn a long time ago. Her job as a Postal Carrier for the last twenty-seven years is duller than her love life. As middle age spreads its cloak around her, she realizes how boring and mundane her life has become.
When a tall, dark, mysterious, stranger rents out an isolated farmhouse on her ro
Kindle Edition
Published (first published July 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Pettybone's First Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Pettybone's First Case

Jean
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Actually the story wasn't too bad. It is a cozy mystery set in small town Missippi and Miss Pettybone, bored with her life and her job decides that she can solve the murder. She even feels entitled to solve it since she has found the body, while on her postal route. The story takes the usual twists and turns of this genre, involving other interesting characters and leading Miss Pettybone to new places.
The problem with this book is it is desparate for an editor, possibly even just a second reade
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I don't usually rate DNFs, but I feel I should warn you...the dreadful lack of editing made it impossible to read. From elementary-school errors of subject/verb agreement to substitution of homophones or just similar-sounding words (and all between), it was simply excruciatingly bad. We won't even discuss the overdescription of every scene and action. Why, for example, does the reader need to know that a character fished a "small light-yellow plastic lighter" out from between the cushions to lig ...more
Judy
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I am reading the Kindle edition of this book and it is riddled with spelling and word usage errors that detract from my enjoyment of it. I wonder who proofreads (if anybody does) the Kindle editions. I feel as if I were reading Freshman compositions -- the errors are so basic. I could overlook an occasional typo, but when "shining" is repeatedly rendered as "shinning," the problem is not typographical. I have very little patience for those errors in published work.

Although as cozy mysteries go,
Rebecca
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately it has copious bad guy POV, which eliminates all mystery, and a hook ending. Positives... I sorta liked the bored-with-life MC. Shame it was ruined. 2*
Gail
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I liked this book. Miss Pettybone is a letter carrier in Mississippi who loves Miss Marple and Nancy Drew. Although she never mentioned it, there's a little Harriet the Spy mixed in. She's never married and lived in the same town all her life. She's not twenty something and a little self-conscious about her age and a little set in her ways.

One of the men on her route is a stranger, rude and uncommunicative. She needs to deliver a registered letter and after several days of no response, she break
Amanda
Miss Pettybone's First Case

Lorraine Pettybone, mail carrier, stumbles into a dead body and decides the Sheriff needs some assistance in solving the murder. In her later years, but not old, Miss Pettybone starts her investigation. While searching the house where the murder took place, Miss Pettybone is struck over the head. More determined than ever to find the culprit, Miss Pettybone exists the help of her best friend. Traveling to New York then to Savannah in search of the murderer, Miss Pettyb
Leanne
Nov 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
The story is fine, maybe even better than fine. I was so frustrated by the typographical errors that it was difficult to concentrate fully on the story. It appears that the author/editor relied solely on an automatic spell check for proofreading (course instead of coarse; hear instead of here; a character's name spelled Scot and Scott multiple times on the same page; etc).

The main character is 36, but behaves as though she is 60. And one wonders if Pepsi Co. was giving out product placement bonu
Lynn Demsky
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A good cozy to read, Miss Pettybone is so very opinated --- the characters in the story were comical, interesting and unusual --- read it enough that I went and found another one of the Series to read!
Dayle
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Entertaining!
M-J
Dec 18, 2011 rated it liked it
I continued to read the book, hoping to eventually begin to connect with the characters but they were just not believeable. I will not be waiting for Miss Pettibone's next adventure.
Michelle
rated it did not like it
Jan 14, 2017