Start by marking “Mestiza (Covenant, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mestiza (Covenant, #1)

Mestiza (Covenant #1)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  65,975 Ratings  ·  5,383 Reviews
Los Hematoi provienen de la unión entre dioses y mortales, y los hijos de dos Hematois de sangre pura tienen poderes divinos. En cambio los hijos de Hematois y mortales, no. Los mestizos solo tienen dos opciones: ser entrenados para ser centinelas, cazando y matando Daimons o convertirse en sirvientes en las casas de los puros. Alexandria prefiere arriesgar su vida luchand ...more
Published October 18th 2011 by Ediciones Kiwi

To ask other readers questions about Mestiza, please sign up.

Jessica Are you familiar with Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy? If so, then there is a similar sense of plot to Armentrout's Covenant series. This series is…moreAre you familiar with Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy? If so, then there is a similar sense of plot to Armentrout's Covenant series. This series is still unique in its own, however, and an awesome read. (If you do decide to read the books, then you'll know what I mean when I say that the series is worth it just for Aiden and Seth). If you haven't read the Vampire Academy series, then I highly recommend you read the Covenant series. It is based on Greek mythology and actually makes for a very entertaining read.

As for the Lux series, I can see some parallels. The plot and basis of the two series are complete and polar opposites, but the characters' traits are distinctly similar. Armentrout includes a lot of snark and hilarity in the Covenant series (which actually makes it all the more interesting to read...not that the books are bad as a standalone, but her amazing sense of humor shows in her writing) and Aiden is striking similar to Daemon in the Lux series. Both men are fiercely protective, somewhat standoffish at times, but are completely and utterly willing to die for the woman that they love. Oh, and they're also both unbelievably sexy. ;)(less)

Ezmirelda
Sep 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unoriginal
SPOILER ALERT **THERE ARE SPOILERS FOR BOTH VAMPIRE ACADEMY (the whole series) AND HALF BLOOD BELOW***

Similarities Between Half-Blood and Vampire Academy

EVERY. SINGLE. THING.

*CAUTION* if you're looking for originality this is not the book for you.

It's like the author just took Vampire Academy and changed all the names. The only character missing from this story is Lissa. Read below for details

*EDIT* Apparently Lissa is in this book as well. You know the connection that Rose and Lisa have that a
Emily May

Surely this book is illegal. I mean, someone once tried to sue J.K. Rowling because their book included a kind of wizard sport tournament similar to the one found in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, they claimed she had stolen the idea from them... and this small matter takes up such a minuscule percentage of the novel! Not to mention the fact that no one I knew had ever heard of the guy's novel before...

Now, pretty much everyone I speak to has heard of - if not read - the Vampire Academy s
Katerina
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katerina by: Amanda
I'm in love with Aiden St. Delphi.

Of course that's not a big surprise, since he's the reincarnation of one of my first and eternal book crushes, Dimitri Belikov, but still it's a reason to smile (well, not for my mother, she weeps every time I fall for another fictional character instead of producing grand-children).
“You will kill the ones you love. It is in your blood, in your fate. So the gods have spoken it and so the gods have come to foresee it.”

There is a secret society, one us mortals
Candace
Paranormal/fantasy books are not my favorite genre, but every once in a while I like to read one to change things up a bit. This one had been sitting on my TBR list for quite some time and when I saw the Audible edition on sale, I decided that it was as good a time as ever to finally give it a listen. While I'd by lying if I said that it was the kind of book that makes me fall in love with the characters and rush out to grab a copy of the next book in the series, I can't deny that I enjoyed it.

T
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
In Daimon, the short story prequel, Alex’s mother was killed by a group of Strigoi daimons, but Alex was lucky enough to escape. At the beginning of Half-Blood, she is found by Dimitri Aiden and other Guardians Sentinels and returned to the Covenant, where she hopes to continue her education. However, the dean is none too happy with her. She has lost three years of training and he thinks she shouldn’t be allowed to rejoin her classmates. Instead, he wants to give her the elixir which will turn h ...more
Ashwood
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally finished! I'm absolutely in love with this series! Took me a bit to read it but loved every second of it. Really loved the pace and execution of this story. JLA's MC are always awesome and interesting, plus the guys are to die for (I'm referring to Aiden btw ;). Seth is great....but Aiden is my favorite for some reason..

Caleb is an awesome best friend and he's adorable!
This story reminded me of Cassandra Clare's work, which I found really cool!
Awesome and highly recommended read. Real
Stacia (the 2010 club)
More VA similarities come out here and here. And that's not even my entire list of similarities. I just got tired of marking them all (because there were so many) when it started getting down to them both having rose necklaces as a significant thing and other random little details sprinkled throughout just about everywhere.

*edit* July 2012*. Sigh. Eff it. I really didn't want to have a star rating on this book because of my mixed feelings (good and bad) but since I'm not risking having yet anoth
Laura Marcela ✎・:*:・ |spoilers af|
description

You will kill the ones you love.
Fate had been right about that.

Blurb: The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi pure bloods have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals--well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up s
Aria the Blue Fairy
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Myth inspired books lovers!
Recommended to Aria the Blue Fairy by: Eunice

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT???!

This is what I was talking about! Ms. Armentrout! You really know how to make your fans scream out more!!!

Merged review:

MY REACTION AFTER READING THE BOOK:

[image error]
Yes! I am extremely happy!
This book exceeded my expectations!

THE GIST

Here are some of the things you need to know about first before I get to the real gist of this book. We all know that the Greek gods were very fond of mingling with humans. And when they mingle with humans in a not so innocent w
Cait (Paper Fury)
I think this book is just kind of old and tired....or I am. Which the latter is pretty true, I admit! I love a lot of paranormal books, but I think this was kind of in the era of aaaaall the paranormal books and it shows. It has a lot of the average cliches and it just felt TIRED.

Obviously this is very very subjective to (a) how much paranormal you've read, (b) your particular age, (c) whether you did or did not just read Certain Dark Things which was frikkin' amazing, and (d) how dark you like
Rachel Carter
Fast-paced and infused with JLA humor that has since become the norm when I read her books. Felt like the school aspect of the plot was a bit unrealistic (haven't read Vampire Academy so not sure if it was an issue in that one too) but I could be a bit biased in boarding school-related settings. Liked the main character, Alex, and Aiden, her teacher-crush. Seth was by far the favorite but he didn't have too many parts in this one. I loved how she shares the same role as Seth and he doesn't get a ...more
maybelline™

Every once in a while a reader might be fortunate enough to stumble upon a piece of published literature that makes them feel SO BLOOD ADEQUATE as an aspiring author.

For me, this book has done it.

If this stuff can be published and loved then I think I’m gonna be a best-selling author in multiple universes.

description

Name your most hated clichéd tropes, kids and I will guarantee you will find them in this book. :)

1. The writing is so immature. IT’S LIKE A TEN YEAR OLD WAS GIVEN A FREE PASS AT WRITING F
MISS VAIN
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Copy & paste fans!
"There's nothing like a bunch of catty teenagers who could either kick your ass halfway across the country or set you on fire with a mere thought.

That alone changed who people picked fights with or became friends with.
And at the end of the day, it was always good to have a Firestarter in your back pocket."

Okay soooo As a HUGE Vampire Academy fan please allow me to adress the whole "It's just like V.A. Issue"..... Well it did have several moments especially in the beginning as well as the co
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
 photo tumblr_mocqncejGj1r9ccwso1_500_zpsc5213ec6.jpg

Half-Blood is book one in the Covenant series by Jennifer Armentrout. The world Jennifer has created in this series is both disturbing and amazing. This book has both intense action and sweet love. I was hooked on page one.

photo tumblr_n263von7sn1snlqo0o1_500_zpsf397d852.png

Alexandria or Alex for short is a Half-Blood. Her mother is a pure and her father whom she never met was a mortal. Pures are like the royalty. Half-Bloods not so much. Halfs are either trained as Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or they are forced into servitude for the
Avital
Apr 03, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
First I would like to say I've never given a book 1 star, because I think that just the dedication of an author earns him at list 2 stars. The second thing is that I think that's the longest review I've ever wrote. It says something.

This book doesn't deserve rating at all. Because it was a perfect copy of Vampire Academy series. And not in a good way.
I'm utterly disappointed and upset with Jennifer L. Armentrout. How can she do that? How did the publishers let her publish a book that is a copy o
Jacqueline's Reads
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jacqueline's Reads by: Tricia Santos
FIVE FUN FACTS about JENNIFER L. ARMENTROUT + Book Signing Photos - > HERE

6 FUCK ME HARD (OR JUST RUB UPON ME) AIDEN STARS

It’s not secret I am a Jennifer L. Armentrout (J.Lynn) fan. Yes, I have a girl crush list (just like a book boyfriend list) and she is an author that is on there. So, with my mini me (that’s my reading buddy, I call her mini me, b/c she’s ten years younger than me and reminds me of me ten years ago) told me to read Half-Blood, I said, well what the heck.

Oh my god, where h
Kate Kaynak
This book is amazing! Fans of VAMPIRE ACADEMY will love it. The main character, Alex, has a wonderfully edgy, sarcastic voice, and she's simultaneously strong and vulnerable. I pulled this query out of the slush pile and read the manuscript in a day--I couldn't put it down! Put this on your "to-read" list; you won't be disappointed!
Khanh (the meanie)
I might have rated this book higher had I read this before Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series. As it stands, the characters and the plot all feels like a very watered down version of VA. I couldn't help comparing one character to the next, and they all felt lacking. The premise is slightly different, but the boarding school setting, the reviled and necessary half-bloods, the evil daimons/strigoi, all felt rehashed, and not in a good way.

Alex is Rose, without the spunk, with more slut-shaming
Abbi Glines
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favs
UGH! Now I have to wait until April to find out if she gets her head on straight and realizes Seth is her man!!! LOL! Loved this book =)
Yonaily
Jennifer L. Armentrout, writing Half-Blood:

Britney
I just love everything she writes. And not because she is writing literary gold rather she pulls me into these worlds and I never want to leave!
Prem Kaur
Anything by my queen, Jennifer, is freakingtastic-mindblowing AMAZING!!
Ceitidh
Dec 30, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, a few people has asked me why I only gave 1 cheap star to this book that seems to be a favorite of so many. So, I decided to explain how I feel towards this book with the following points.

But first, I am sorry in advance if I offend a fan of this series. I know it hurts when someone talks crap about a book you love and I know this book has tones of fans but SORRY!

So here I go!

1. I got almost halfway through the book. I read like 45% of it and I couldn't keep reading. So yes, I didnt' finis
Booknut
Re-read 30/9/13:

Re-reading this book was like visiting an old friend with a great sense of humour! I fell in love with this series all over again from the very first page - the tale of Alex, the kickass halfblood heroine, and her journey, one that I will never, ever tire of :)

Original Review

"It was him - Aiden St.Delphi."

As soon as I read that I was all like, "Oooooh yeah. She's got it baaaaaad." But then I read about how pures and halfs can't be together and I was all:

Shit. Is. Going. To. Go.
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
"Alex?" I turned around, figuring he'd changed his mind and was going to order me to see Marcus in the morning and fess up to my bad behaviour. "Yeah ?" He brushed a lock of dark hair off his forehead and flashed that lopsided smile. "I remember you" I scrunched up my face. "What?" The grin increased to a full smile. And... oh, man. He had dimples. The air in my lungs died. "I remember you, too"

Where do I even begin by writing this review? Well……Half-Blood left me utterly speechless. It comple
Jamie-leigh Haughn
I really enjoyed this book, my only issue is I found it very similar to Vampire Academy. I wish I would have read this one first, because I really love Jennifer L. Armentrout's writing style! I'm looking forward to seeing where this story will go.
Ramona
My thirst for other than sweet romance stories is unstoppable now and I found just the right books to quench it:) “Half-Blood” is the first book from “The Covenant” series and I loved it!!!!! I like Jennifer very much, discovering her in the “Wait for Me” series, then “Lux”, “Titans” and now this one. If you want the same ingredients as the previous ones, love, action, drama, feisty heroines and adorable heroes, this is your chance to experience it:)

The plot of the book begins with Alexandria An
Annie Brewer
I can not say it enough---I LOVE a story from the guy's POV!!! It is so much more powerful than from the girls. As a girl myself, I know how we think-feel-want. But there is nothing sexier than getting into the guy's head and witnessing their vulnerable side, especially since we the readers get to see it all first before the girl does. Ahhh, it's a beautiful thing! And Aiden? He's a beautiful guy! God, he's beautiful and lucious. And sexy. And dammit, I can not shut up! Okay, well I liked this t ...more
Loyda
Gawd I am loving this series, Alex is such a great heroine. The rest of the cast ahhhh I love too 😍😍😍. I love Aidan, and Seth, and Caleb and Deacon too 🙄😚😏 I know whatever they are all awesome I love them all hahaha 😝. Off to listen to book 2 😁
Sabrina
Oct 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who liked the Vampire Academy series and would like to read the same thing over and over
Shelves: did-not-finish
I just got into the first few pages and the "WTF counter" was already exploding.

I get it that you'd like to write a book but don't have anything new to say.
I get it that you are unsure and feel more secure using elements already proven successful.
I get it that you REALLY liked the Vampire Academy series.
I don't think you have to be completely original to write a (good) book: you are allowed to pick ideas here and there.

But.

SERIOUSLY.

COME ON.
  • Awry (The Archers of Avalon, #2)
  • Crest (Ondine Quartet, #3)
  • Sweet Peril (Sweet, #2)
  • Slumber (The Fade, #1)
  • Toxic (Denazen, #2)
  • Spark (Elemental, #2)
  • Wildefire (Wildefire #1)
  • Hopeless Magic (Star-Crossed, #2)
  • Betraying Innocence
  • Midnight Frost (Mythos Academy, #5)
  • Time Mends (Timber Wolves Trilogy, #2)
  • A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark, #1)
  • Defiance (Significance, #3)

To email me, please use the below addy.
jenniferlarmentrout@live.com

# 1 New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Jennifer L. Armentrout Lives in West Virginia.

All the rumors you heard
More about Jennifer L. Armentrout...

Covenant (5 books)
  • Pure (Covenant, #2)
  • Deity (Covenant, #3)
  • Apollyon (Covenant, #4)
  • Sentinel (Covenant, #5)
“Okay. I’m ready to move onto something else, like practicing with knives or defense against the dark arts. Cool things.”
“Did you just quote Harry Potter?”
811 likes
“So? What are you going to do about it? Throw your mashed potatoes at me? I'm consumed by terror.” 786 likes