Start by marking “The Dragon Book of Verse” as Want to Read:
The Dragon Book of Verse

The Dragon Book of Verse

An anthology of verse which provides coverage of eight topics: childhood; creatures; landscapes; seascapes; people; mystery; war; reflections. Includes poems by Shakespeare, Lawrence and Emily Dickinson, accompanied by black and white illustrations.
Published 2000 by Oxford University Press (first published July 14th 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon Book of Verse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon Book of Verse

Start your review of The Dragon Book of Verse
Muhammad Nusair
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"An anthology of verse which provides coverage of eight topics: childhood; creatures; landscapes; seascapes; people; mystery; war; reflections. Includes poems by Shakespeare, Lawrence and Emily Dickinson, accompanied by black and white illustrations"
حاجة كده زي "المستطرف من كل فن مستظرف" بتاع الأبشيهي بس بالإنجليزي، لقيت نسخة قديمة منه في الأزبكية، بس هاردكوفر، وخدتها من الراجل بخمسة جنيه، كتاب لطيف جدًا ابقوا اقروه
Syed Waqar  Bukhari
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Most of the poems in it are familiar to me but overall it is an excellent anthology.
Rayyan Misbah
Feb 19, 2021 is currently reading it
My course book, finally found it
Scott Langston
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not really a review. Found some familiar poems in this collection, but discovered so much more. A good place to start...
Preston
I'm going to be hypercritical about this one for 3 reasons:

1) There is so much (good) poetry to choose from
2) It was written for children
3) It was published by Oxford

I can't be the only person who knew when I was being condescended to as a child. This collection has those poems -- instructional ones about bullying, playing with others, heroic poems about vanquishing French people, etc., but far worse is the whole grim sense of warning. It became especially noticeable browsing it one astonishing
Chris Fordham
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Some truly great poems in this collection, a few personal favourites appear alongside a scattering of more obscure but intriguing verse. My copy has travelled as an ex library book from a language college in Saudi Arabia back to a market stall the UK - I like a book that's lived. ...more
Beccy
Sep 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
True rating; 3.25 stars

I generally don't read poetry because a lot of what may be considered 'good poetry' I generally don't like. This collection had some I didn't like at all, some I thought were okay, and some I really liked, so I evened it out to an average rating.

Poems I do like are lyrical, with clear subject matter and rhymes. John Betjeman wrote a postscript for this collection, and he sums my tastes pretty well;

"Different people like different sorts of poetry. I like the kind that rhyme
Olivia
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
There are few reasons why I gave this book 4 stars and these are original poems like: "We are going to see the rabbit", "Not waving but drowning" and "7 ways to kill a man" but you don't have to necessarily buy the book, just research them on the web, they are worth it. ...more
Andrea
This collection of poems and verses was considered essential for my English Literature classes. Would not be surprised if it was still in the curriculum all these years later.
Nahrul
Dec 25, 2018
Julia Chetcuti
Jan 18, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Failure is Not an Option: Mission Control From Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond
  • Science(ish): The Peculiar Science Behind the Movies
  • H is for Hawk
  • Lucy: The Beginnings of Humankind
  • 99 Classic Science-Fiction Short Stories: Works by Philip K. Dick, Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov, H.G. Wells, Edgar Allan Poe, Seabury Quinn, Jack London...and many more !
  • The Oxford Book of Narrative Verse
  • 13 Things That Don't Make Sense: The Most Baffling Scientific Mysteries of Our Time
  • The Life of Charlemagne
  • A Grief Observed
  • On Earth as It Is in Heaven: Temple Symbolism in the New Testament
  • Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde with the Merry Men & Other Stories
  • مختارات من قصائد مولانا جلال الدين الرومي وغزلياته
  • Jerusalem: The Biography
  • The Secret Sharer
  • A Morbid Taste for Bones (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #1)
  • The Lost Prophet: The Book of Enoch and Its Influence on Christianity
  • Machiavelli in 90 Minutes
  • Confucius in 90 Minutes
Michael Harrison has written four teenage novels and has edited many highly-acclaimed poetry anthologies.