Start by marking “No Bears” as Want to Read:
No Bears

No Bears

Ruby is in charge of this book. And she’ll tell you something right now. There are NO BEARS in it. Not even one.

Ruby wants to tell you a story. A story with absolutely no bears. You don’t need bears for a book. You need pretty things like fairies and princesses and castles. And maybe funny things and exciting things – but definitely no bears!
Published June 1st 2011 by Walker Books

To ask other readers questions about No Bears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Bears

Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Check out more picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Ruby has decided to craft her own story since she is tired of all the books about bears. It needs to be a story with funny things, exciting things and maybe even a giant but no bears, not one! As the book progresses the illustrations show us that there is a reason there are so many books about bears... they are rather helpful creatures in a pinch!

The illustrations in this book were charming and my nephew and I absolutely fell for th
Allison Parker
Ella is writing this book, and she makes it perfectly clear that no bears are allowed in this story. Bear books are abundant, it's true, and Ella is sick of 'em. So her story is one of princesses, castles, monsters, and adventures, and no bears, thank you very much. So she tells a very nice traditionally fairy-ful tale, blissfully oblivious to one bear's vital role in her plot.

The only reason I didn't love this book was because I didn't understand why a bear would help with the "construction" of
Clare Cannon
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 04-8yrs
With subtle, warm illustrations, this book is pretty much what the title suggests: a story with no bears in it—except to mention that there are no bears. It is not clear why Ruby has an aversion to bears, but she does, in stories at least. The best part of her story (which has a childish simplicity, is totally unbelievable and not at all intended to be) is the illustrations which are intricate and patterned, with lots of little details to spot and admire.
Donalyn
A clever young girl decides to write a story without bears in it. Metafiction for the younger set with allusions to classic fairy tales on every page.
Lauren Sedgwick
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If there’s one thing you take away from reading Ruby’s story it should be this; bears do NOT need to be in books-EVER! She is not only the narrator of her own bear-less book, but becomes a character, as well. She incorporates the classic fairy tale characters, such as the fairy godmother, princesses, monsters, witches, giants, the three little pigs, and even rapunzel! She takes us through her adventure-filled story, complete with bears (don’t tell Ruby!) I was immediately drawn to the way the il ...more
Elle LeBlanc
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a little girl named Ruby who is sick and tiered of reading books about bears. Ruby takes it upon herself to write a book of her own with strictly no bears. Ruby takes you through her book which is filled with princesses, monsters, fairies and maybe just one bear... The monster in Ruby's story is running through various fairy tales such the Gingerbread Man, Rapunzel, the Three Little Pigs, and Little Red Riding Hood. Throughout the story there are various characters from differ ...more
Tarnisha Tolliver
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this story. The little girl was tired of the classic stories with bears and was determined to have a story with no bears. However, in her story the bear served as the hero. It was a very cute story for the early grades (pre-k - 2nd grade). The illustrations were very vivid and bright. I loved how the story was written and how adamant the young lady was about not including bears in her story. She included many elements of fairy-tales such as castles, queens and even the "happi ...more
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No Bears by Meg McKinlay is a book within a book. A girl tells of how she developed her own story, but of course without bears. Going throughout the book taking pieces and parts from other stories. The irony of the story though is a bear is present in almost every page.

This book caught my eye because of it’s intertextuality. It has characters such as Rapunzel, the three little pigs, and red riding hood within the story. Also the main character is also the narrator. The main character goes in an
Christina Reid
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a brilliant book for any fan of traditional tales as lots of familiar characters turn up throughout. I liked how the title of the story of 'No Bears' and the narrator, Ruby, is quite adamant that, as it is her story, there will be no bears anywhere. Yet, the illustrations tell a different story...
A great story to reread and discuss with your child or pupils and one I will be adding to our collection of alternative fairy tales.
Anna
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Loved the illustrations, but the story was alright. I love how the illustrations showed the bear everywhere, but yet it was still not in the little girl's story. The ending made me chuckle.
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, children-s

The story itself was rather cute, but I didn't care for Ruby's narration or attitude at times.
Michelle
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A bit odd but the artwork was really cute.
Millie May
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uni-reads
A very clever book!! Quite a lot of fun!!
Viviane Elbee
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Kids had fun spotting the bear in this book, that supposedly has no bears.
Alyssa Tabor
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Probably will skip this one for storytime.
Julia Crainshaw
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
There's lots of action going on in the illustrations that is critical to the plot of the story.
Lynn  Davidson
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ella wants a story with NO BEARS in it, so she makes up a story the way she likes it - with a monster in place of a bear. The reader has the advantage ... if paying attention to the illustrations.
Danielle Hammelef
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent conversation starters for kids and caregivers about helping without expecting credit/recognition.
Leslie Nunez
Jan 29, 2015 rated it liked it
No bear was written in a self text form The little girl knows she is in a book as a narrator/character addressing the reader. It has intrusions of a time and story. This book is very upbeat and thrilled book. Throughout the book it was very happy and full of joy and kinda of funny the little girl seemed to be funny but have something against bears because she didn't want them in the book she is in and that is what makes it very odd from other books because she wants to have control over her own ...more
Jim Erekson
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is probably the best example of counterpoint I've read in years. A fully visual narrative runs contradictory to the words and builds tension that the 'words narrator' never resolves. This makes the narrator unreliable, although there is clearly at least a 2nd narrator implied in the pictures--a 'pictures narrator'. I loved that McKinlay left this comedy intact right until the last page, not condescending to young readers with an explanation or a resolution!
Richie Partington
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Richie’s Picks: NO BEARS by Meg McKinlay and Leila Rudge, ill., Candlewick, March 2012, 32p., ISBN: 978-0-7636-5890-8

“Hi! I’m Ella and this is my book.
You can tell it’s a book because there are words like Once upon a time
and Happily ever after
and The END.
I’m in charge of this book, so I know everything about it --
including the most important thing, which is that there are NO BEARS in it.”

I cannot remember his name, but as I read NO BEARS to myself, I am so clearly hearing in my head the loud v
Lauren Gallaspy
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
The story No Bears by Meg Mckinlay tells the story of a little girl who is tired of having bears in her fairytale stories as she sees no need for them to be in the story. So she chooses to write her own fairytale making sure it included no bears but also a happy ending. While the girl writes her fairytale and shares her excitement of a perfect fairytale since there are no bears in the story. But little does she know a bear has been trying to sneak into her story.

No bears is considered a postmode
Taylor Whittaker
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Meg McKinlay shows that she can not only write a fun story, but also can use the illustrations in her in the most perfect way. No Bears is about a little girl who wants to write her own story, but she refuses to include bears in it at all because she believes they are in too many stories, too often. The energy that McKinlay infuses in the story makes for such an entertaining book for younger audiences. The illustrations and the irony that the story encompasses, stand out to me the most.

When wri
Lindsey Mineweaser
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a girl who hates when bears are in books. She decides that since she is in charge of this book, there will be no bears allowed in her story. She explains all of the things that should be in a story, for example, princesses and fairies. However, she thinks bears should not be in books so she says that bears will not be in her book.

It is ironic that Ruby does not like when bears are in stories because the bears appear on almost every page of her story. She begins the book by tel
Hannah Wolf
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
In the beginning of this story the narrator comes out saying that their will be no bears in this book. She states that every story has bears and she does not want any in this book. She insists that their will only be princesses, fairies, trolls and even monsters but no bears! The story then starts off with a princess just strolling along. In each scene you can see the bear outside of the actual scene but the narrator still insists their are no bears. Suddenly she gets captured by a monster who i ...more
Selina
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In the story No Bears, it follows a young girl telling her own story. She refuses to have bears in her story because she says bears ruin stories. As she goes about telling her story and incorporating fairy tales and being humorous in the background of the illustrations there is always a bear. The narrator that we follow along in the book never notices that there is a bear in the back of all her pictures and at the end thinks it was the best story because there was No Bears.

I thought that the ill
Stacey Orlando
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ella is telling us a story; a story the does not include bears. The story she tells is a bit random: there are nooo bears in the woods, in any kingdoms, or in the story at all for that matter. Ella feels a good story relies on the presence of princesses and fairies and all that magical stuff. When the monsters steals away the young princess, the fairy god mother is needed to save her. In the end, the royal family and the princess all live happily ever after, without any bears.

I love how the auth
Kendal Dastrup
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
No Bears by Meg McKinlay is a story about a young girl who hates that bears are included in every story she reads so she decides to write a story of her own. She is super girly and talks about all the different fairy tales but always includes how there are no bears in the story and there never will be. In the beginning she mentions that she knows all great books include things like "once upon a time", "happily ever after", and "the end" so she includes them in her story as well.
My favorite thing
Paola Galindo
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
No Bears is the funny story of a little girl named Ruby who decides she wants to write her own story with absolutely no bears. Because bears always ruin a story. Her story has princesses and a monster and a happy ending, but no bears. Except for the one bear who is sneaking through the story. Unseen, the bear actually helps the story come together and takes the place of the fairy godmother, who seems to have sat this fairy tale out.

I thought that this was a very fun and innovative story. The st
Mary Hertel
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
NO bears is a unique book which is about a young girl writing her book in which no bears are allowed. She writes about a girl becoming a princess who has to be saved from a monster, all the wile a bear is assisting in her book as a hero although she does not know it.

The book is very unique because it breaks the fourth wall, allowing the character to speak directly to the readers, allowing her to explain why there will be no bears in her book. The significance of her being able to speak to the re
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• What To Do If an Elephant Stands On Your Foot
  • House Held Up by Trees
  • Chloe
  • Chloe, Instead
Meg McKinlay is a children's writer and poet living in Fremantle, Western Australia

She has published seventeen books for young people, ranging from picture books through to young adult novels, and a collection of poetry for adults. Her most recent publications are the middle grade novel Catch A Falling Star and picture book Let Me Sleep, Sheep!.

A former academic, swimming teacher, Japanese interpr