Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Pearl-Maiden: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem” as Want to Read:
Pearl-Maiden: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Pearl-Maiden: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  631 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
"I do not know; I only know this, that in that wall, as in others, a door will be found. Trouble not for the future, but leave it in the hand of Him Who shapes all futures. Sufficient to the day is the evil thereof. So He said. Accept the saying and be grateful. It is something to have gained the love of such a one as this Roman, for, unless the wisdom which I have gained ...more
Hardcover, 348 pages
Published April 1st 2003 by IndyPublish.com (first published 1903)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Pearl-Maiden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pearl-Maiden

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Joshua
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this story, intriguing and exciting. There were a couple of minor details that bugged me, (Similar to my opinion on Haggard's book, The Brethren), like, for example, making Christianity look somewhat Catholic.
Regardless, this book is recommended for those looking for an exciting historical-fiction read.
Ismail
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
বইটা চমৎকার। সেই সঙগে নিজের অনূদিত পরথম পূরণাঙগ বই বলে এর পরতি দুরবলতাও একটু বেশি। যারা পড়েননি, তাঁদেরকে পড়ে দেখার অনুরোধ রইল। ...more
Alicia Willis
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
13+ for violence.

This story has intrigued me since I first read it at the young age of 12. I was young to read it, but it drew me in even then. I now credit my love for historical-fiction with this book.

I love the historical accuracy of this book! From the Jewish faith to the order of Essenes to the Romans, everything is superbly well-written, detailed, and accurate. I learned so much, particularly about the Essenes and the real nature of Titus.

I related very well with Miriam. Her love for a Rom
...more
সোহাগ প্লাবন
হযাগারডের এই বইটি তার অনযানয বই থেকে সমপূরণ আলাদা। খুব ভাল একটি বই।আর অনুবাদের গুনে বইটি হয়ে গেছে আরো অসাধারণ। ...more
Nicole
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a sweet and captivating story told with a real sense of the biblical times! I don't know why there's not a movie of Pearl Maiden!?! Miriam is so sweet and her faith is inspiring; Marcus and Caleb were both intriguing characters; and best of all: the ending was satisfactory!
Md. Manjurul Hussain Shourov
“এ গলপ মিরিয়ামের।
পিতৃ-মাতৃহীন, অসহায়, আশরিতা এক খরিসটান তরুণী...
ভয়ঙকর এক যুদধের মাঝখানে যে মেয়েটি নযায়, সতয ও শানতির জনয নিজের জীবন বিপনন করেছিল।
এ-গলপ মারকাসের।
দুঃসাহসী, দকষ, নিবেদিতপরাণ এক রোমান সৈনিক...
মিরিয়ামের ভালবাসা যাকে বদলে দিয়েছিল।
এ-গলপ কযালেবের।
রুকষ, একগুঁয়ে, পরতিশোধ পরায়ণ এক ইহুদি যুবক...
মিরিয়ামের পরতযাখযান যাকে উনমাদ করে তুলেছিল।
এ-গলপ হেনরি রাইডার হযাগারডের লেখা।
শাশবত পরেম, রকতকষয়ী সংগরাম আর নিরদয় পরতিহিংসার এক রুদধশবাস উপাখযান।
আর কিছু বলার পরয়োজন আছে কি ?”
কাহিনী সংকষেপে বারবার মিরিয়
...more
Ratul
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
সযার হযাগারড অসমভব পছনদের একজন লেখক হলেও একটা সময় একটানা তাঁর অনেকগুলো বই পড়ার পর একঘেয়েমী এসে গিয়েছিল। ফলশরুতিতে অপরিকলপিত লমবা বিরতি। নতুন করে আবার শুরু করার জনয যে বইটা বেছে নিলাম সেটা অনেকদিন থেকেই টু রিড লিসটে ছিল। ইনফযাকট, বেশ কয়েক বছর আগে বইটি যখন পরকাশিত হয় তখনই এর দৃষটিননদন পরচছদ আগরহে বাড়তি মাতরা যোগ করেছিল। পরিতযকত কোন এক রোমান নগরীর বিরান রাসতায় একজন রুপবতী তরুণী বিষনন ভঙগিতে দাঁড়িয়ে আছে। হাতে সুতীকষণ ছোঁরা, রাসতার অংশবিশেষ রকতেভেজা।
গলপ শুরু হয় সিরীয় উপকুলবরতী নগরী সিজারিয়ায়, যেখানে
...more
Lydia
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of Miriam, born just after the first persecution of the Christians shortly after the Crucifixion and Resurrection. Though her parents don't survive, she becomes a Christian and is an observer of the fall of Jerusalem to Rome.

In the style of the epic historical saga, Miriam is unique in that she is actually a skilled artist (sculptor) and the fact that she has a profession is seen as a good thing (during a time when women of wealth were not supposed to have (horrors!) work). Often time

...more
Marufa Yeasmin
How do i read it?
George
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Story of the rise and fall of Jerusalem starting just after the Crucifixion and Resurrection and the Jewish rebellion and Roman conquest. Yet another Haggard historical romance in which young people from different cultures love each other and pledge themselves to each other for life and the next, but are unable to marry and spend years apart facing various trials and tribulations which bring them together again and then apart. Miriam, a young Christian who is bound by the death pledges of her pa ...more
John Yelverton
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a very enjoyable read. The characters are very well developed, and the twists and turns of the story work together like a woven tapestry.
Caroline
Nov 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Powerful message for young men and women to remain pure and faithful in the Lord.
Zoe Urquhart
This book was an enjoyable read to pass the time, very action packed, with lots of different stages through the book.

The book starts with Miriams mother, who dies in childbirth on a wrecked ship after escaping the ravages of the Colosseum as a Christian. A lot of the book is centred around the themes of the different religions at the time of Jerusalem's fall. I feel that a lot of the book could have been made a lot better if the author had of researched what the early Christians really believed
...more
Mallory
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful story of faith, hope, and love set during the early days of the Church amidst the darkness and violence of the Roman Empire. Miriam, a young Jewish woman and a Christian, meets and falls in love with Marcus, a Roman soldier and officer. They are torn apart again and again by circumstances and beliefs, testing them both but never wavering their love. Miriam maintains her faith through the worst of trials and refuses to marry outside of it, much as it pains her. I admired the firmness ...more
Evelynn
3.5, really.

This was a great book: great storyline, great characters, great action and dialogue, and great descriptions.

The thing that bothered me was the repetetive reinstating of the belief that your soul goes straight to heaven when you die. As a fourth-generation Seventh-day Adventist, I do not believe that. I know that there are a lot of Christians who have this belief, it's just not mine. Also, the Christians of the Roman period were not baptized by sprinkling; they were baptized by full i
...more
Sarah Knox
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature
Better than I remembered it!
So I finished this book last night for the second time. I really enjoyed it. I think it helps to go back and read a book again once you're grown. Its differnt. I kept trying to remember in what time period the book is set. Being about 40 yrs since Jesus went back to heaven. When Cyril was sharing the gosple with Marcus and Marcus being astounded that Jesus was indeed alive by reurection. The gosple truly is a wonderful and precious thing. Anyway, I'm not always good a
...more
Robert burke
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
No lost cities, no mighty white hunters, in this novel Haggard takes the reader to the beginnings of Christianity. The fall of Jerusalem sets the backdrop of this novel. Two warriors, one Jewish the other Roman are in love with the Christian 'Pearl Maiden'. This novel has all the adventures and romance found in his novels. I do enjoy reading H Rider Haggard.
My copy was published by Wildside Press.
bird
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I still love Pearl Maiden even after reading it in middle school several years back. From what I can remember it's very emotionally touching and you get a real glimpse into the struggles that Jews went through. Very dark and raw. I need to re-read it one of these days. If you like this style of book then you would probably really enjoy this. It's quite possibly H. Rider Haggard's best work.
Rebecca Rash
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book up until the end - the end nearly ruined the whole read for me. It ended so abruptly, it was like someone slammed a door in the face of many possibilities, as there was many places the book could go. Otherwise a very good book, makes me think France Rivers Mark of the Lion Trilogy is a bit of a take off of Haggard's story... Worth the read, just be ready for the end.
Alexxus
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves historical fiction and/or plot twists and interesting plotlines
This book was one of the best historical reads EVER. At first I was hesitant to read it, considering I'm not a big reader of historical fiction. But, my mom insisted, and so I got it, and once I read the first chapter, I couldn't put it down. It's such a captivating read! I was in love the entire time. Nothing about it disappointed me. I recommend it 100%.

Madeline Stone
Jun 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: past-favorites
This was a great favorite of mine, and while I might find the perfection of the heroine slightly sickening now, the book itself will probably still stand firm; a book that I could stand to read three times through and not be sick of must have some merit.
Rafsan Jany
This novel by Sir Henry Rider Haggard is mainly about love. It explains much about the fall of Jerusalem. I find much similarities between this one and the "The Brethren" by the same writer because both of the stories based about a girl.
Overall it's a very interesting story! Enjoyed it!
Sydney
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves the roman era and adventure
I've read this book twice, and have decided that it is one of my favorite books. I love the adventure, and thrill that takes place throughout Miriam's life. It is full of detailed information of the fall of Jerusalem. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves historical fiction.
Sarah
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Action packed! Well paced for the most part and it kept me interested. I didn't think there was enough chemistry between characters, though, and the last 3rd of the book felt really rushed. I felt ripped off by the time I was done reading it.
Rachel
This one I more-or-less read a year or two ago. It didn't grab me, though it's pretty good, I suppose...
Abigail
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is Amazing.
I love it!!
I could read it again.
Catherine Anne
Oct 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is my All-time Favorite book!!! It has romance, danger, sadness, and adventure. It is about a girl growing up during the fall of Jerusalem. I definetaly reccomened it!
Oceaneyes12
May 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Slow in some areas, but over-all, pretty good book.
Jenna
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-ladies
Once you get started in this book, it is excellent, very gripping, and encouraging!
Jaime
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great story, great morals. There's not much better than a well-written period drama with a good message.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Hostage Lands (Heroes & History #1)
  • The Hidden Hand: Or, Capitola the Madcap
  • Under Drake's Flag: A Tale of the Spanish Main
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • Bellarion
  • Twice Freed
  • Titus: A Comrade of the Cross
  • To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown
4633123
Sir Henry Rider Haggard was an English writer of adventure novels set in exotic locations, predominantly Africa, and the creator of the Lost World literary genre. His stories, situated at the lighter end of the scale of Victorian literature, continue to be popular and influential. He was also involved in agricultural reform and improvement in the British Empire.

His breakout novel was King Solomon
...more
More about H. Rider Haggard...

Share This Book

No trivia or quizzes yet. Add some now »