Start by marking “Feedback: The Hinge That Joins Teaching and Learning” as Want to Read:
Feedback: The Hinge That Joins Teaching and Learning

Feedback: The Hinge That Joins Teaching and Learning

The coauthor of" Classroom Instruction That Works" explains how to use feedback the way computer apps do-for setting goals, tracking progress, and regulating students' learning.
Published December 1st 2011 by Corwin Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Feedback, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feedback

Steve Holden
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was read as part of a staff PLC where we work together and always attempt to do one professional development read each school year. We've worked very hard over the last few years, as a staff, to build our comfort even further through this model of a group initiated by a close friend and colleague. A focus now for the last two years, intensely, has been on improving student engagement, effort, and effectiveness through feedback. In doing so as an educator, we began our collaborative edu ...more
Debora Ryan
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classroom
Probably one of the best books about the role of feedback in the classroom. It's applicable to every subject area (even electives) and to every situation. It strives to help students recognize their role in monitoring their learning and helps them take charge.

It has helpful forms and formats for making this a thinking routine in your classroom. Highly recommended.
Richard Leo
Jan 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone planning to try to teach anything at all to anyone :)
Some professional reading for the holidays. A great little book that emphasises one of the key elements of good teaching. Indeed, the research is now out that highlights that feedback is the KEY element to success. Rocket Science really...... As a book, some great practical ideas to implement in your classroom to provide simple easy feedback on the learning process. Some good ideas that I'll be trying in my own lectures and tutes this coming year also. As a book, it becomes a bit repetitive towa ...more
Jeanne
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
What I liked about this book is that it didn't try to do too much. It's a short little book for teachers who are ready to think about small changes that could have a big impact on engaging students. It's more about the shift in focus (with a few applications) that students should be responsible for monitoring their own learning and not relying on teacher feedback all the time.

I do think that the cover that refers to this book as a learning app is completely misleading because the examples she us
Michael Heneghan
Oct 04, 2012 rated it liked it

Got to see this women speak at a recent conference in Colombia. Smart woman. Felt her ideas made so much sense that I wanted to learn more, so I walked up and bought her book for a nifty 20,000 Colombian pesos.

Really good. I am already incorporating a couple of her philosophies in my classroom, including two- sided notes (similar to Cornell notes), and having students rate their daily effort and understanding of the class's goal.
Lindsey
Apr 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: teaching
I wanted more from this book. the few strategies it highlights are fine, but I finished it feeling a bit let down.
Emilia
There was so much repetition and I felt as though it didn't actually tell me a lot of what it promised to tell me.
Ria Nuralawiyah