Start by marking “Master Detective: The Life and Crimes of Ellis Parker, America's Real-Life Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

3.3  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
"Fascinating reading for true-crime buffs and mystery fans alike." --Max Allan Collins

Known as the greatest detective in the world, Ellis Parker was the "American Sherlock Holmes" who solved ninety-eight percent of the murders he pursued. Yet his illustrious forty-year career ended tragically in prison, where he died on the very eve of certain Presidential pardon.

Here

Published (first published August 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Master Detective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Master Detective

John
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most impressive to me in reading Reisinger's book is learning of the birth of modern criminology in the early 20th century. Brighter minds pored deeply into cases and gathered from increasingly broader pools of research and shared law enforcement libraries of criminal cases, ultimately developing the tool of fingerprinting and creating a national law enforcement database to aid in the apprehending and prosecuting suspects. The central character of Master Detective, Ellis Parker, had a hand in th ...more
Christian Petrie
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I picked this up in hardback from a dollar store. Was not sure what I was going to get. Turns out this is a good book. One aspect of history that I enjoy is the small stories with the large stories. People will always remember the big picture, but not the details. This book not only gives a good biography on someone lost in history, but adds another aspect to the Lindbergh kidnapping.

With giving the biography of Ellis Parker, not only are we introduced who to someone who sounds like they were we
Jeri
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nf-murder, nj
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. However, the main reason is I lived in Mt. Holly and knew Ellis Parker Jr. and his second wife, Betty. They were two of the nicest people I have ever known! The writer, John Reisinger, did a fine job of telling this story! I have been gone from Mt. Holly for a long time and this book brought it back. I could picture everything he talked about. So glad to have read this book.
GT
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Impossible for me not to love the idea of this book. True Crime, History, Lindbergh, Lindbergh Kidnapping, Detective, a Hero brought low by his own transgressions... Great stuff. I'm in. And the book delivered.

Really incredible to me for such a respected and revered figure to exhibit extremely poor judgement, and then to be held accountable.

I found that I learned quite a bit about Ellis Parker, the man, the myth. Very well written accounting of this man's ego, successes, foibles, and ultimately
Chay
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is great historical biographical account of one of the greatest real life detectives to ever live. Hailed as the "Real Life Sherlock Holmes", Ellis Parker had an uncanny and brilliant capacity for reasoning and deduction. This particular account of Ellis Parker's career specifically involves the world famous kidnapping of the Lindbergh Baby.

From an uncanny and nearly untarnished career, this book will take you on the journey of Parker's investigation of the famous kidnapping and how it
Stephan
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read. Ellis Parker was definitely a smart and deductive thinker. The ending threw a curve ball in how I thought Ellis would spend his remaining years. If you find criminal justice interesting, give this book a read.
Jeanine
Pretty good book for one I picked up at the dollar store. The life of Ellis Parker with his periphral involvement in the Lindbergh kidnapping.
Margaret Sankey
Another amateur historical work, by a Minnesota author--a side character in the Lindbergh kidnappings, a regionally big time detective whose interference really didn't help.
Lesley Chen
A genius who has a story sadder than sadness, but his credits can never be erased by others.
Rae
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book mostly covered the Lindbergh case. I may need to reread this, because I am not sure why I only gave it 2 stars. I found it at the dollar store for a dollar.
Karen Ketterman
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book tells a side to the Lindbergh kidnapping that you probably haven't read. Ellis Parker was a fascinating person and I enjoyed the tales of crime solving in the pre-CSI age.
Glenn
Apr 16, 2012
Ninja
Nov 26, 2012
Kristin
rated it did not like it
Feb 01, 2015