Start by marking “Blink” as Want to Read:
Blink

Blink

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  379,790 Ratings  ·  12,588 Reviews
Drawing on cutting-edge neuroscience and psychology and displaying all of the brilliance that made The Tipping Point a classic, Blink changes the way you'll understand every decision you make. Never again will you think about thinking the same way.

Malcolm Gladwell redefined how we understand the world around us. Now, in Blink, he revolutionizes the way we understand the wo
Paperback
Published by Dom Quixote (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Blink, please sign up.

Navi Singh Bhati It's long because he tried to compile facts not fiction. The research part is what makes it a bit heavy read. It does require a lot of patience but in…moreIt's long because he tried to compile facts not fiction. The research part is what makes it a bit heavy read. It does require a lot of patience but in the end, it's worth it.(less)
Nuno I wouldn't say it's boring, but a bit repetitive. Like a lot of "business / non-fiction" type books I read, I think the book could be distilled to…moreI wouldn't say it's boring, but a bit repetitive. Like a lot of "business / non-fiction" type books I read, I think the book could be distilled to half, if not more than it's size. I.e., you get the point the author is trying to make by then end of chapter 2 or 3. I actually didn't finish reading because I didn't think I would get a lot more from it.(less)

Matt Kosinski
Here's Blink in a nutshell:

Split decisions can be good; better than decisions where we take a lot of time to carefully weigh our options and use scientific evidence.

Except when they're not.

Rapid cognition is an exciting and powerful way to use your brain's quick, intuitive capabilities to make stunningly accurate decisions, and can even lead you to have better success in sports, business and politics.

Except when it won't.

We should learn to trust our snap judgments, even in seemingly complex si
Doc Opp
Apr 29, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As an empirical psychologist by training, I get very annoyed at journalists who simplify things to the point that its no longer even remotely accurate. Such is the case for Blink. This is especially annoying to me, because the book describes my area of research specialization. If you're interested in a fun read, Gladwell is certainly an engaging author. If you're looking for something that accurately describes the research, I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

For example, Scott Plous's "the psychol
Sanjay Gautam
Blink is- what all the stories, case studies, and arguments add up to- an attempt to understand the magical and mysterious thing called Judgement. Its basic premise is: split second decisions (snap judgements); how they can be good and bad.

Gladwell suggests split-seconds decisions are better than the decisions where we take considerable time to weigh our choices and options. He points out that our mind figure things, people, et al. in a blink of an eye. And it is often that these snap judgeme
Margaret Ross
I think this book wins my prize for Most Easily Misinterpreted to Serve Personal Agendas. Gladwell gets so into the interesting details of the case he's building, he really doesn't emphasize the final conclusions of the book at all, leaving people to think that the interesting details are the whole point, which is unfortunate. But then again, I'm not 100% sure I got the whole point.

Most of the folks I know think that this book is about how a person's gut instincts can be a better read of a situa
Ashley
Oct 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I would put this book in the category of "Freakonomics" and "The Tipping Point." By the same author as the latter title, Malcolm Gladwell, the purpose of this book is to weigh the advantages as well as the disadvantages of the power of the mind's ability to unconsciously leap to conclusions based on what is seen in the proverbial blink of an eye.

While I have read some negative reviews of Gladwell's book, mostly citing that he fails to inform the reader how to know when to go with your gut and w
Saleh MoonWalker
جالب بود که چطور از علم برای توضیح این مساله استفاده کرده بود. البته مقداری که از علم استفاده کرده بود کمی کم بود و برای رفرانس علمی نیاز بود که کمی تحقیقات بیشتر صورت بگیره. و اینکه زیاد هم نمیشه روی این موضوع تاکید کرد که افرادی که قضاوت های لحظه ای انجام میدن افرادی هستن که دانش عمیق زیادی دارن یا تجربه یا مهرت خاصی در یک زمینه خاص دارن. خواندنش سریع بود و کمی نگاه علمی به چیزی که بهش تصمیم گیری بر اساس حس ششم میگیم، انداخت.

We need to respect the fact that it is possible to know without knowi
Diane
Dec 17, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O, to have the writing career of Malcolm Gladwell. The man pulls interesting case studies from academic research and news headlines, spins it into a book under a general theme, and blammo! He has a bestseller. This formula worked for him with The Tipping Point and then Blink.

Blink is a compelling read, despite its weak overall theme, which is that sometimes split-second decisions are good and sometimes they're bad, and we need to learn when to trust our first impressions and when to discount th
seak
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2013
Much like the reason behind my majoring in Economics, I like Gladwell because he opens my mind to new ideas and new ways to think. Much like Economics, I believe he's far from perfect, but I really enjoy viewing the world through his lens.

In just about anything, when people start acting as if there is only one way to do something, I stop listening to them. This goes for many things, but especially politics. If you DO, however, find someone who is omniscient and knows exactly how every policy wi
Kemper
I generally distrust anyone who says that they ‘go-with-their-gut’. But when the company I work for announced a major decision a few years back, I instantly said, “This is going to be a huge mistake.” Smart people had examined the deal backwards and forwards for months and thought it was a great idea. I had a bad feeling about it that I could only later explain, and I was far from the only one. And we were right. The entire thing turned out to be a huge disaster.

I kept thinking about that incid
Will Byrnes
This was a big best-seller for Gladwell. He posits that much of the time we make decisions, reach conclusions in a sort of pre-conscious manner that he calls “thin-slicing.” That means taking a very small sample, a thin slice, and making a decision immediately based on that information. However, it is the case that the ability to evaluate that slice is fed by a lifetime of experience. It is not simply, as some, including President Bush the second, might believe, that using one’s gut, in the abse ...more
Canton Public Lib...: January Nonfiction Book Group 1 12 Dec 21, 2017 11:21AM
Nonfiction Naviga...: Psychology 1 4 Dec 15, 2017 12:18PM
Psychology 1 6 Dec 14, 2017 12:32PM
evaherbalist.com patriot-power-greens 1 1 Dec 09, 2017 11:36PM
Power Testo Blast 1 1 Dec 02, 2017 02:17AM
Ulti Power Testo Boost 1 2 Nov 02, 2017 02:22AM
지지안마◀ㅇ⑴0‥⑤⑧36‥I424▶{초대박.쇼리실장}지지안마.서초지지안마★ 1 1 Nov 01, 2017 06:39AM
  • The Genius in All of Us: Why Everything You've Been Told About Genetics, Talent, and IQ Is Wrong
  • Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior
  • Snoop: What Your Stuff Says About You
  • Stumbling on Happiness
  • The Long Tail: Why the Future of Business is Selling Less of More
  • Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things
  • Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts
  • A Mind of Its Own: How Your Brain Distorts and Deceives
  • The Invisible Gorilla: And Other Ways Our Intuitions Deceive Us
  • Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School
  • SuperFreakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes And Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance
  • The Logic of Life: The Rational Economics of an Irrational World
  • The Talent Code: Unlocking the Secret of Skill in Sports, Art, Music, Math, and Just About Everything Else
  • Slide: ology: The Art and Science of Creating Great Presentations
  • Proust Was a Neuroscientist
  • On Being Certain: Believing You Are Right Even When You're Not
  • Authentic Happiness: Using the New Positive Psychology to Realize Your Potential for Lasting Fulfillment
  • In Search of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best-Run Companies
Malcolm Gladwell is a United Kingdom-born, Canadian-raised journalist now based in New York City. He is a former business and science writer at the Washington Post. He has been a staff writer for The New Yorker since 1996. He is best known as the author of the books The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference (2000), Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (2005), Outliers ...more
More about Malcolm Gladwell...
“The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter.” 584 likes
“We have, as human beings, a storytelling problem. We're a bit too quick to come up with explanations for things we don't really have an explanation for.” 492 likes