Start by marking “A Life Gone Awry: My Story of the Elan School” as Want to Read:
A Life Gone Awry: My Story of the Elan School

A Life Gone Awry: My Story of the Elan School

When Doctor M. Scott Peck suggested Elan to my parents, I was skeptical because the first program they sent me to was a drug program, and I had never done drugs. He assured us that it wasn’t, and told me that Elan treated teens with emotional problems. He said that they had psychiatrists and counselors, and had activities, so I agreed to go.

What I witnessed was unbelievabl
Published July 29th 2011 (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Life Gone Awry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Life Gone Awry

Shaeeza Haniff
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Years ago in Guyana, when I was eleven years, my family and I lived in Onderneeming Compound on the Essequibo Coast. Onderneeming was known for the "Boys' School". A reform school for delinquent boys run by the Guyanese government. We're told by our parents to never, EVER talk to the boys who were allowed outside. They had a watchdog system off record to make sure the boys did not come in close contact with the officers' children. But we were invited to their Christmas shows and movie nights. So ...more
Jenna Glatzer
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Disturbing and real and raw. It's about the author's experiences at the Elan School, which was billed as a school for troubled teens, but was more like a house of horrors. The kids spent most of their days screaming or being screamed at, paddling each other, wearing humiliating signs and costumes, scrubbing bathrooms, and planning escapes. The writing is excellent, though the grammar is imperfect. It's a story well worth reading, and relevant to today's "troubled teen boot camp" trends.
David Dewlow
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gut wrenching

Painful first person account of life in an abusive teen therapeutic community. Unregulated, there was no one to guide the ship.
Ross Perchonok
Jul 01, 2012 rated it liked it
really fucking disturbing!!!!! I couldnt put it down tee hee hee. Why do I have to read this stuff? reminded me so much of my childhood that is so very hazy. Also the era this took place in was a really fucked up but a far more simple time when one could really focus on destroying themselves properly without all the distractions of facebook, cell phones, internet. This is the beginning of a series of three and will begin the next one immmediately!
Trailor
I found the memoir to be believable at some points and embellished at the same time. I too went through a program such as Elan.
He put himself front and center to much to soon. I understand it is only 144 pages so he had to get to the point quickly. I think then maybe it should have been longer. I don't doubt that verbal and physical abuse happened just not to the extent he says it happened. I seem to feel that was done purposely to sell the book.
Lesley
Feb 15, 2012 added it
Pretty poorly written and consigned to the "Started, Not Finished" pile.

There is little explanation as to why this young man went to this Elan School, and he just ploughs right into descriptions of sociopaths and abuse once he's got there.

Frankly, it's been done much better by other authors, and this one, to me, was just plain boring by the time I got to 25% - which took me only about 20 mins!
megs_bookrack
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting story.
Pamela
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Interesting and horrifying. I would have given it more stars but it's unorganized and rambling which made the story hard to follow at times.
Amy
May 07, 2015
Misty
Sep 09, 2016
Wayne Kernochan
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Brian Mckenzie
Jan 22, 2013
Cynthia Daniels-Hall
Aug 09, 2014
Jazz
rated it did not like it
Sep 27, 2011