Jump to ratings and reviews

Simon's Cat #3

Simon's Cat in Kitten Chaos

Like all great cartoon creations, from Peanuts to Asterix, from Garfield to Tintin, Simon's Cat has continued to evolve by introducing new characters and developing new storylines. After the runaway success of the original book, Simon Tofield returned with the further adventures of his feline 'beyond the fence'.

Now we welcome a cuddly new addition to the family in the form of Simon's Kitten. It's an adorable and hilarious new chapter which is sure to delight Simon's millions of fans.

234 pages, Hardcover

First published January 1, 2011

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Simon Tofield

31 books226 followers
Simon started drawing cartoons at an early age and went to study Graphics and Animation at De Montfort University. He has a great interest in British wildlife, painting, the great outdoors and of course cats. He now works in London as an animator and director at Tandem Films.
Simon lives in Bedfordshire with this three cats: Hugh, Maisie, Jess and Teddy.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 159 reviews
Profile Image for Juli.
1,844 reviews470 followers
April 23, 2018
This book is a must-read for any cat lover, especially those who have brought home a cute, fuzzy kitten to the annoyance of an adult cat already in residence. :) As someone who has fostered many litters of rescue kittens, I know the annoyed stare of my adult cats as I clean, brush and play with infiltrators. I have seen my adult kitties run terrified from kittens who want to play with them, watched my chihuahuas herd baby kittens into their doggie bed for a nap, and chastised big kitties for whapping little fuzzy babies who just wanted to play on the cat tree. These cartoons had me laughing out loud and remembering incidents that actually happened in my house.

From a kitten's first lovely and also terrifying steps outside to spats with Simon's adult cat and the vacuum cleaner, these cartoons show the awesome relationship that forms between owner, kitty and kitten over time. The cats also make friends with a small dog, hedgehogs, birds, bunnies and other critters from the world outside.

This was a nice diversion on a rainy day filled with housework and listening to an audiobook that is rather heavy and depressing. I needed a smile -- and my own cats are all splayed out around the house sleeping. Simon's cat and his new kitten buddy provided me some much needed smiles and laughter. :)

I love these books! There is also a youtube channel filled with awesome videos (Simon's Cat).

Profile Image for Adriana Scarpin.
1,359 reviews
January 19, 2018
Eu acompanho Simon's Cat há muitos anos, sejam os curtas no canal do youtube, sejam os livrinhos em ebook, mas no fim do ano passado finalmente comprei alguns volumes das edições brasileiras que saíram pela L&PM. Em Meio ao Caos especificamente trata da chegada de um novo gatinho e é divertidíssimo, especialmente porque sabe retratar o quanto os gatos são ciumentos e vivem com pequenas rixas entre si, que aos humanos parece tão engraçado por ser tão semelhante ao de nós mesmos em nossas picuinhas diárias.
Profile Image for Kath McStay.
14 reviews4 followers
April 5, 2013
Simon's Cat in Kitten Chaos is a fun and funny addition to the library of anyone who loves cats. In fact, it is a great addition for anyone who likes to laugh. I have been a fan of Simon's Cat since I first came across Cat Man Do, a hilarious line drawing video, years ago. In fact, that may still be my favorite video of all. Or maybe it's TV Dinner? No, it is impossible to choose a favorite Simon's Cat video.

I have a cat. Well, I have some cats, and so maybe I am more inclined than a non cat person to laugh at the antics that Simon's Cat, and now the Kitten get up to. They are particularly funny when you have seen your own cats pulling the same stunts, and getting into similar situations. Cat lovers know that brining a new kitten into the family is not an easy task, most of the time. There is always a period of time when the first cat is very suspicious of the new kitten, and appalled by its uncivilized behavior. Forgetting, of course their own days of curtain climbing and furniture shredding.

Simon Tofield is unsurpassed in bringing these behaviors to light, and presenting them in the most humoress way possible. I will keep this book on the shelf with my keeprs, the books that I know I will read and enjoy again and again. As laugh out loud funny as the video versions of Simon's Cat can be, this hilarious book version is a must have for cat lovers everywhere.
Profile Image for CYIReadBooks (Claire).
543 reviews80 followers
November 19, 2021
Who doesn't love Simon's Cat? I just love Simon's Cat! The antics of all the characters are hilarious. With the addition of a new kitten, this one brought oodles of smiles and laughs.
Profile Image for Sarah.
3,323 reviews1,013 followers
November 17, 2015
The Simon's Cat videos never fail to make me laugh, even when I'm having the worst day possible I can watch pretty much any of them to put a smile on my face so of course I've been religiously buying the books as they're published. Since I currently have a new kitten in the house this seemed like the perfect time to pick Kitten Chaos back up for probably the billionth time. These are the kind of books that you can leave sat on the coffee table and flick through whenever you have a couple of minutes (my friend actually has a whole shelf of books like this in her bathroom!) but this time I sat and read from cover to cover and found myself giggling away to myself the whole way through.

Simon Tofield is obviously an experienced cat owner and he captures common personality traits over and over again in his drawings and videos. I see hints of every cat I've ever met in these books but Kitten Chaos was particularly appropriate because my kitten is incredibly good at creating mayhem. So many of these images are currently part of daily life in my house and that just made them even more amusing.

I love the videos, I love these books and I'll continue to purchase them until the author stops publishing them!

Here are just a couple of my favourite drawings from the book to give you a better idea of what's included:

My older cat is not at all impressed to have a newcomer in the house

The kitten is slowly destroying my house, one room at a time!

and I'm covered in scratches from being used as a walking climbing frame LOL
Profile Image for Robyn.
1,657 reviews115 followers
August 16, 2020
This is a great book.. I was at my friend's house last night and her grown cats were turning up their noses at her little rescue kittens who were running crazy through the house. The big male cat reached out and smacked the little guys so that they would calm down.

I love how the kitten causes Simon's cat to be miserable until he can no longer take it and comes to love and groom his kitty.

Very cute, you don't need words... the picture says it all.

4 stars

Happy Reading!
52 reviews1 follower
May 14, 2013
Simon’s Cat in Kitten Chaos by Simon Tofield is the latest collection of drawings by Simon Tofield outlining the lives of cats, kittens, other animals, and their owners. If you’ve never watched one of his videos, you owe it to yourself to watch one on Youtube. If you have ever watched cats playing around, you’ll recognize quite a few of their antics.

This collection of drawings opens with Simon finding a box outside and bringing it into his home, passing by his cat. The cat is begging for food, as is pretty normal for cats. Simon gets a bowl of food ready, much to his cat’s delight. However, he’s trying to coax an animal out of this box – the kitten. The kitten comes out, eats the food, and we see the ongoing relationship between the cat and the kitten. At times they are friends, at times they’re at odds.

Some of the comics remind me of the old Spy vs Spy comics where they constantly try to one-up the other. Others just show cute drawings of the animals going about their daily business. We see shots of the cats crawling in and out of various small places, climbing, scratching, eating, chasing animals, and generally being cats. All of the drawings make up mini stories told without words. We end the book with Simon showing, in brief, how to draw some of the animals he uses in his works.

My Take: I have enjoyed Simon’s Cat for some time on YouTube and never realized that he had books compiling his artwork. His books are just as entertaining as his videos. Having owned a cat before these drawings hit really close to the truth. I chuckled while looking at the drawings and really enjoyed the book. I plan to seek out more of Simon’s compilations now that I know they’re available. You should definitely check out Simon’s YouTube channel and check out his books. The introduction of the kitten really makes the animal antics even more interesting.

Disclaimer: I was given a preview copy of this book with no expectations on the part of the publisher. The opinions expressed are my own and were not influenced by anyone else.
Profile Image for Online Eccentric Librarian.
2,839 reviews5 followers
July 24, 2014

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

My family has enjoyed all of the Simon's cat books and especially looked forward to this book, adding a kitten to the mix. Memories of Nermal and Garfield were of course the first thoughts but really Simon's cat's author really shines and rises above all other cartoon cats. Instead of little vignettes without any overall connection, we get the tempestuous relationship from first meeting (Simon's cat pointing imperiously to his food dish when Simon arrives with a kitten in a box) to the end pages where the kitties find a comfortable relationship with each other.

In between, there are hedgehogs, birds, play mice, chaos, machinations, tricks, and so much more as the two cats, adult and kitten, learn to appreciate and respect each other's quirks. Along the way, whether there's a cactus masquerading as a cat toy or a crazy overly-affection rabbit, the humor and pathos of the series is a joy!

This is one of those books that is great for all ages. The artistry is deceptively simple yet easy to grasp - all without the need for any words. Some of the drawings are about the relationship, some are about showcasing characters, and others are just simply fun.

The very bet thing for me as a mother is to hear my 8 year old giggling as she and her father read the book together. Thank you to Simon Tofield for such a treasure!
Profile Image for Beth Cato.
Author 109 books485 followers
April 3, 2013
I received this book through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers Program.

If you're a cat lover (or even if you're not), you've likely seen some of the Simon's Cat cartoons on Youtube. They are charming and well-animated, capturing the persistent, loving, and sometimes aggravating nature of the cat, and his well-meaning "owner." This translates remarkably well to book form in Simon's Cat in Kitten Chaos.

One word description for the book: adorable.

I was impressed by the length of the book; it's 240 pages long. There are no words in the majority of the book, the exception being a small "how to draw" section at the back. This can be read by early readers or people of any language. The behavior of cats is universal. The antics inside show cat meeting kitten, and chaos does indeed ensure. The first section shows the cats indoors, while the end has them in the glorious outside where they encounter all sorts of other animal friends. It's worth it to pause for a while and take in all the details that Tofield weaves into the backgrounds or into the nuances of the animals' behavior.

This is the kind of book you need after a bad day. I read it and smiled as I flipped through. I couldn't help it. A few panels even made me laugh out loud.
Profile Image for Merel.
140 reviews88 followers
May 31, 2016
Very enjoyable, I love the drawings, they crack me up! I would say that the videos are more effective though, but that might be because I'm used to the stories in that format.
Profile Image for Kjartan.
186 reviews2 followers
July 5, 2019
Ja. Nun ja.

Ich habe dieses Buch tatsächlich nur gekauft, um einer Freundin ein Geschenk machen zu können.
Besagte Freundin mag Katzen. Ich hatte einen Gutschein für einen Comic-Laden. Zwei und zwei ergeben vier, ergo befinde ich mich in jenem Zeitfenster, in welchem ich rein technisch gesehen ein Buch besitze. Bis ich es nicht mehr tue.

Was tut also ein rationaler Buch-Verschenker?
Jo. Er liests.

Nun. Ich glaube, ich habe kein Problem mit dem Buch.
Was nicht heisst, dass ichs wirklich gut gefunden hätte. Dazwischen liegen Welten.
Was ich viel mehr ausdrücken will, ist der Fakt, dass ich mich ein paar Meter ausserhalb der Zielgruppe befinde.

Essentiell passiert halt wenig, bis auf das, was man von Simons Katze gewohnt ist, anhand der immer wieder irgendwo auftauchenden Clips und Comic Strips.
Jede Punchline ist irgendwie üb0rcute, und das immer weil "Kadse macht Kadsendinge lol".

Und mehr musses ja auch nicht sein.

Nur ist das halt nicht meins.

Was nicht bedeuten soll, das Katzen nicht üborcute wären.

Profile Image for Heather Cain.
108 reviews
August 4, 2021
The most adorable cat cartoons I have ever seen! I stumbled upon this book at my local library and I remember seeing a video of these cartoon kitties on Facebook a while, so I had to grab it right away. I reminds me a lot of what my newest kitty would do if we had adopted two cats at the same and the trouble they would get in. Despite it practically being a picture book, I still loved seeing the action panels of these two mischievous kitties. I hope I can find more of these books soon because I am hooked.
Profile Image for Merve Akpınar.
399 reviews23 followers
October 15, 2020
In this book of Simon, a kitten comes into our house and this little kitten annoys our cat. We witness two cats fighting with each other all over the book. Frankly, it was again a pleasant book, but as I said before, I still think it is not worth buying.

Simon'ın bu cildinde evimize bir yavru kedi dahil oluyor ve bu minik yavru bizim kedimizi baya gıcık ediyor. Tüm cilt boyunca iki kedinin birbirleriyle olan savaşına tanık oluyoruz. Açıkçası yine keyifli bir ciltti fakat daha önceden de söylediğim gibi halen satın almaya değmeyeceğini düşünüyorum.
Profile Image for Shannon Callahan.
275 reviews25 followers
February 26, 2021
Cute but short

This was a random pick. I thought it was like 100 pages comic or something...darn it was too short. I do like the example of how to draw the characters. Seems hard but how he shows the how. It seemed to be so simple...amazing. Artists always good with imagine the end product.
Profile Image for Alissa.
1,434 reviews56 followers
May 7, 2022
Not nearly as good as the first collection, as many of the jokes that made those early comics so funny are, by now, no longer fresh. That said, lots of repeat humor here. With the addition of a kitten, yes, but still repeat humor. Still cute, though. I just didn't laugh like I did with the first book.
Profile Image for Liesalu.
13 reviews
March 21, 2013
I first became acquainted with Simon's Cat through the animated cartoons on the author's website and youtube. They were so adorable/hilarious that when I saw a giveaway on Goodreads for a book by the author I jumped at it. So, this is my review of the free copy I received through the giveaway.

This book primarily focuses on the relation between Simon's cat and the addition of a new kitten to the household. The scenes are sweet/endearing/detailed/thoughtful/humorous and more often than not completely true, capturing well the mischievous and playful nature of kitties. As with the animated cartoon, there is no text/narration. It also comes with 2 great extras: stickers and a drawing tutorial. I think anyone who owns a cat or has owned a cat would love this book; it in fact made me miss having kitties.

Profile Image for Mickey.
226 reviews1 follower
June 5, 2015
Like me, you may have first encountered Simon's Cat on YouTube. If you are owned by a cat, you found those clips to be hysterical, and a fairly accurate reflection of life with a cat. The books followed, and I have to say I loved the first, but wasn't too crazy about the second one. Then I saw a listing for this one on Amazon. Something told me I wasn't going to be able to wait the 6 or so months before the print version would be out here in the US, so I broke down and bought it for my Kindle...and proceeded to laugh until I creid. Having watched my older cats adapt as younger ones joined our family, I can tell you that Simon got it bang on. I've been told that there are animated clips for this saga up, so now I'm off to YouTube to find them and laugh some more!
Profile Image for Andrew.
2,116 reviews
December 29, 2011
This book carries on the cartoon capers of Simons cat. I was first introduced to him some years ago as a surprise christmas present and i loved it. This book carries on those adventures with the introduction of a new found kitten. Ok there are a lot of comic cartoon events you would expect but anyone who has lived with cats and particularly raised them from kittens will understand there are a lot of perfectly captured events and stunts you will instantly recognise and agree with.
Profile Image for Sarah.
533 reviews
April 5, 2013
I was only introduced to Simon's Cat a few weeks ago, so I was excited when this book appeared at the bookstore this morning. It was cute and funny, but I think I would prefer a book that is just about the kitty hijinks, and less about the garden animals they play with. I'm not a cat owner, but I love Simon's line drawings. They are so expressive in their simplicity. A must read for any cat lover!
Profile Image for Puddlyduck.
181 reviews20 followers
November 1, 2011
The illustrations in this book will immediately have any cat lover laughing as they recognise so many of the hilarious little whimsies and hijinks our feline friends get up to! Simon has completely captured numerous and familiar pet - owner exchanges that I found myself grinning at every turn of the page!
Profile Image for Sean Nelson.
9 reviews12 followers
March 23, 2013
I won this book in the first reads giveaway. It's hilarious just as I expected! The book is full of pages of funny drawings of this lovable cat. My Wife and I can't get enough of him. We have another book and look forward to collecting all of them. This is great for all ages.
Profile Image for Krystl Louwagie.
1,322 reviews14 followers
December 23, 2013
Obviously, this was adorable. But, I did miss the sound effects from watching the videos online. :p Also, there was hedgehogs! Where does Simon live? Does he really have hedgehogs in his yard?
Profile Image for Shirley Francis.
12 reviews
May 3, 2015
A very funny book. Some of the cartoons I could easily relate to my present cat and cats that I have owned over the years.
Profile Image for Cláudia.
Author 2 books56 followers
October 28, 2016
Fofíssimo! Pra devorar em uma ida até o trabalho. ♡
Displaying 1 - 30 of 159 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.