Start by marking “Poems of the Sea” as Want to Read:
Poems of the Sea

Poems of the Sea

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  145 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Throughout history, poets have felt the ancient pull of the sea, exploring the full range of mankind’s nautical fears, dreams, and longings. The colorful legends of the sea–pirates and mermaids, phantom ships and the sunken city of Atlantis–have inspired as many imaginations as have the realities of lighthouses and shipwrecks, of icebergs and frothing foam and seaweed.

This
Published October 30th 2001 by Everyman's Library (first published September 28th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Poems of the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems of the Sea

Roisin
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This a brilliant collection of poems inspired by the sea. A mixture of old English and modern poetry, this book is split into themes, e.g. 'The Call of The Deep', 'Ballads', and 'Legends', etc. It features a wide range of poets, such as, Walt Whitman, Edgar Allan Poe, 'Annabel Lee', which was featured in the film 'Play Misty For Me' by him is here, Sylvia Plath, and a fantastic, wild, stirring poem by Percy Bysshe Shelley, 'A Vision of The Sea'.

A couple of verses are taken from longer poems, bu
Kem White
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I had a summer vacation by the sea so I thought I'd bring this little pocket book of "Poems of the Sea." I'm glad I did. As with all poetry, some of these poems really resonated with me such as one by Tennyson from "Ulysses", Longfellow's "Seaweed,"" and especially Masefield's "Sea-Fever." Then there are poems I don't quite understand, even after repeated readings: Merwin's "Leviathan," Melville's "The Tuft of Kelp," and Stevens' "The Idea of Order at Key West." I really liked how the poems are ...more
Othy
Jul 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
A great run of poetry about the sea. Most of it is English, though there is a few translations here or there. I was particularly impressed to see "The Seafarer" (from the Anglo-Saxon period of English poetry) here as well, as it is frequently overlooked in anthologies. I actually read most of this on my honeymoon after swimming in the sea all day, and I think that doing so helped me appreciate the ocean more and more each day (as well as gave me and my wife more beautiful things to talk about).
Joseph
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good anthology of concise poetry about, near, on, or remembering the sea. Picked this up on Nantucket and read it there, on Cape Cod, and back here in Iowa. Once the sea touches you, it is forever a part of you.
Diane James
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
There's nothing better than having a book of poetry laying around to be picked up and read at your leisure! Even better to be poetry about the sea....
Heather
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me by a friend almost 7 years ago, when I was writting my own poem book.
it's an amazing one and I am so thankful I had a great friend to find it for me!
Bartholomew Timm
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
A collection of some of the finest poems of the sea. My two favorites are Sea-Fever by John Masefield and Old Ironsides by Oliver Wendell Holmes.
Alice Lippart
May 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2015
Some poetry I loved, some I didn't. Overall, very beautiful and varied.
Patrick Stuart
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Poets are just good with storms and water, or it might be my liking for weather and land.

All the Everyman pocket collections are excellent and this is as good as those things usually are. I like it as much as Sleep and Dreams.

How on earth is one to review this? It is like a compounded gem. It is as well to say that the sea itself is the author, every other writer being separated by time, language and space, united only by thought.

It is the sea which has the prime identity and trying to review it
CaitlynK
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
"I am too long away from water.
I have a need of water near."
Exiled, Edna St. Vincent Millay

A good and varied selection. The poems are well suited to the stormy, watery mood of November and December, many of them capturing a landlocked person's longing for the sea.
  • Love Poems
  • Tennyson: Poems
  • Poe: Poems
  • Keats: Poems
  • Frost: Poems
  • Animal Poems
  • Stories of the Sea
  • Byron: Poems
  • Hughes: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Kipling: Poems
  • Wordsworth: Poems
  • The Earth in the Attic
  • Hopkins: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Bronte: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • The Gorgeous Nothings: Emily Dickinson's Envelope Poems
  • A Poet's Glossary
  • Across the Land and the Water: Selected Poems, 1964-2001
  • Rilke: Poems
119003
McClatchy is an adjunct professor at Yale University and editor of the Yale Review. He also edits the "Voice of the Poet" series for Random House AudioBooks.

His book Hazmat (Alfred A. Knopf, 2002) was nominated for the 2003 Pulitzer Prize. He has written texts for musical settings, including eight opera libretti, for such composers as Elliot Goldenthal, Daron Hagen, Lowell Liebermann, Lorin Maazel
More about J.D. McClatchy...