Start by marking “The Unfortunate Traveller: Or, the Life of Jack Wilton” as Want to Read:
The Unfortunate Traveller: Or, the Life of Jack Wilton

The Unfortunate Traveller: Or, the Life of Jack Wilton

2.7  ·  Rating details ·  138 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published January 28th 2009 by BiblioLife (first published 1594)

To ask other readers questions about The Unfortunate Traveller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unfortunate Traveller

Bill  Kerwin
This narrative published in 1594 is sometimes listed as the first English novel, but it is surely not a "novel" in any formal sense of the word. An odd book, extremely loose in construction, it begins as a collection of prankish anecdotes, shifts into a picaresque account of continental travel (studded with the occasional casual satire and stylistic parody), and ends as a grim Italianate narrative fraught with rape, murder and revenge.

But the style, oh the style! Nashe is a master of English pro
Orcun
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
According to Walter Raleigh, both Shakespeare & Nashe are "in the double command of the springs of terror and humour." Terror and humour - that's what I was expecting from a picaresque novel published in 1594. The main difficulty of this text is not the archaic language, but the stylish long sentences of Nashe, which combine high poetic oration with colloquial language (and sometimes slang). For me, it was fun to read, because this Jack Wilton (an 18-years old rogue wandering through chaotic ...more
Cameron Willis
Apr 21, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Read for a class about early modern English literature. Professor felt it represented post-modern literature avant la lettre, I argued it represented pre-modern literature, before genre conventions and even the basics of the novel had been firmed up. Hilarity ensued. We later stared on stage together in a local production of Shakespeare's 'Much Ado About Nothing'.
Mandy
Aug 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
Ugh, early modern prose is not my favorite thing, and this early version of a picaresque novel is chaotic and tedious at the same time. I was most interested during the detailed descriptions of violence, not because I love reading graphic torture scenes, but because it was at those moments that the narrative slowed down enough for the reader to engage.
Roland
Oct 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anti-semites, torture aficionados
This is one of the most fucked-up books I've read recently. I haven't read torture scenes this lovingly depicted since "Naked Lunch." And this was June 27, 1593! The antisemitism of pretty idiotic, but this was the 1500's after all.
Ahmad Sharabiani
993. The Unfortunate Traveller, Thomas Nashe
نخستین نمونه ی انگلیسی از رمانهای «رندنامه» که طرحی هیجان انگیز دارد، «مسافر بدشانس» (1594) نوشته ی توماس نش است
Kristen
Though short, this is a real eye opener as to life in those times. Violent, harsh, cruel, filthy, disgusting... and all told in loving detail by a man who travels about Europe. The language is a bit tough, I would suggest trying to read this with a group because reading it on your own is hard. The old english is almost phonetic in it's spelling and at times you almost have to read it aloud in order to figure out what it being said. Still, as difficult as it can be (especially if it's been 15 or ...more
Dree
A proto-novel, certainly not quite a novel as we know it. Rather, this is more like a travelogue of one "Jack Wilton". Servant to an English earl who always seems to find (or to create) trouble. Kind of jumps all over the place (at least all over continental Europe), and the "story" doesn't have a common thread, other than the presence of Jack Wilton.

Short, but the older English makes for slow going. Also rather gory, but the stiff old writing makes the gore not seem as gory. If that makes sense
John
Sep 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the highlight of the Rogues' Bookshelf compiled about 80 years ago. It is the misadventures of Jack Wilton, a true and original rogue who traveled through England and the continent, meeting all sorts of interesting characters and getting into all kinds of mischief. The language can be a challenge, since it was written by Thomas Nashe in the 16th century, but it is a fun read nonetheless.
Emma (howlsmovinglibrary)
Well, that escalated quickly.
Judith Rich
Feb 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001, hard-work
I'm a fast reader, but this took me MONTHS, even though it's not that long. I found the Elizabethan slang impenetrable and the links to the explanatory notes on my Kindle edition didn't work properly (kept making me lose my place) so I had to abandon trying to look at them. Which meant I didn't understand what I was reading properly.

It was also really rather violent and gruesome, but I suppose that was the era - the same one that gave us Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus and the blinding scene in K
Kaitlyn Utkewicz
Oct 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can appreciate what Thomas Nashe has done here, but I couldn't understand heads or tails of it. I'm guessing this would have been a good story for the people that were reading it in the 14th Century. Too far removed for me to be able to grasp what was going on. The language was too close to Old English to be a comfort.
Malika Johnson
The Unfortunate Traveller did not appeal to me. The graphic violence and rape scenes were sickening, and most of the rest of the book dragged. I did appreciate some of the satirical social commentary, but all in all jack Wilton's unpleasant character and archaic language were too much for me. If I had a darker sense of humor I would have enjoyed it much more.
Wreade1872
Comedy about a soldier who's only in the army for the looting and free beer. He's willing to go to any lengths to ensure an easy life for himself. He's a bit like Shakespeare's Falstaff.
Be warned there are several torture/execution scenes in this which are truly horrific and very much at odds with the generally comedic tone.
LawStudent Reader
Dec 18, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Erin
Jan 10, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish, 2011
I really couldn't get into this book. The old english was enough to put me off, but I just wasn't grabbed by the story either. I tried to finish it, but didn't care enough to make the effort.

I know other people enjoyed it immensely, and it had some humourous sentences, but in the end it wasn't enough.

Nicole
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001-list-books, 2011
Not great, but not terrible either. The old English spelling is a little distracting from time to time but I was able to manage it pretty well. Very graphic violence and it drags terribly in the middle, but this is a quick read for a classic.
Lyndi
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-classics
I read this because it was on Boxall's 1001 Books list, but the old english spelling was quite challenging. I had to sound out the words sometimes to figure out what Nashe was trying to say. It's has more violent scenes than I would think for such a short book. Overall just an ok read for me.
Sashinka
Feb 23, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001-books
I perservered but really couldn't get into the style of English used. I spent more time trying to remember what letters represented than reading for pleasure and as such can hardly remember the plot despite only finishing it earlier today. Definitely not going to re-read this!
Natalie Newell
a humorous look at the adventures of a page in the court of Henry VIII that takes a strange xenophobic turn with the dismemberment and desecration of foreign bodies... interesting look at the picaresques of the period.
Martin
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was thankfully quite short - and is the shortest, so far, on the 1,001 Books to Read list. I had no idea what was going on. The language was way, way too highbrow for me to grasp anything. There was an adventure, or something. I felt the word choices were a smokescreen for an empty story.
Harry Burnside
It was hard going at first until I got used to the interesting spelling of the sixteenth century but I soon got used to it. Interesting story, gory at times and also gave food for thought on morality.
Angela
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good lord!
Amerynth
Jul 27, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thomas Nashe's 14th-century prose is so incredibly dense that I had a difficult time figuring out what was actually going on half the time. This book was more of a chore than an enjoyable read.
Will Albers
Jun 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 1001-books
practically unreadable unless you are a scholar of literature from this era
Oodles
Mar 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the easiest read in the world due to middle English writing but an excellent view into the mindset of 15th century people.
Joel
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit
Wow. This was pretty graphic. A lot more so than you would expect from something written in the 16th century.
Gabriel Surpanu
It was a difficult book to read, but it had few interesting rows.
Patrick
  • Hyperion oder Der Eremit in Griechenland
  • The Female Quixote
  • Astrophel and Stella
  • An Outcast of the Islands
Thomas Nashe (November 1567 – c. 1601) was an English Elizabethan pamphleteer, playwright, poet and satirist.
More about Thomas Nashe...

“Grosse plodders they were all, that had some learning and reading, but no wit to make use of it.” 3 likes
“where by the Orator of the vniuersitie, whose pickerdeuant was very plentifully besprinkled with rose water, a verie learned or rather ruthfull Oration was deliuered” 0 likes