Start by marking “Beyond Good and Evil” as Want to Read:
Beyond Good and Evil

Read Book* *Different edition

Beyond Good and Evil

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  56,657 ratings  ·  1,613 reviews
Friedrich Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil is translated from the German by R.J. Hollingdale with an introduction by Michael Tanner in Penguin Classics.

Beyond Good and Evil confirmed Nietzsche's position as the towering European philosopher of his age. The work dramatically rejects the tradition of Western thought with its notions of truth and God, good and evil. Nietzsche
Published February 27th 2003 by Penguin Classics (first published 1886)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Good and Evil, please sign up.
Nolan I read the teacher's edition of this book, which attempted to make the text more approachable from an educational standpoint, and it changed my life…moreI read the teacher's edition of this book, which attempted to make the text more approachable from an educational standpoint, and it changed my life forever. I was 17 at the time, and it had a profound effect on me. The original text is admittedly difficult to approach, but with a little dialogue and explanation, it's beautifully inspired.

I hope that you can find the teacher's edition of the book, or maybe even look up course notes. Then you can go back and read the original text with greater satisfaction(less)

·  56,657 ratings  ·  1,613 reviews

Start your review of Beyond Good and Evil
J.G. Keely
Oct 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can think of few instances where an author's reputation is more different from the reality of who he was, what he believed, and what he wrote--perhaps only Machiavelli has been as profoundly misunderstood by history. Today, Nietzsche tends to be thought of as a depressive nihilist, a man who believed in nothing, and an apologist for the atrocities of fascism--but no description could be further from the truth.

There probably are not many men who had more reason than Nietzsche to feel resentful
Bniep
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I recommend, but with a warning. The vast majority of people will not get much out of this book. Filtering through these reviews, I see a lot of people who are clearly not meant for Nietzsche's writing. They tend to fall under a couple of categories
1) Easily Offended: when Nietzsche says something they find offensive, they are turned off reading the book. Nietzsche will offend you. However...
2) People who make a superficial reading and criticize accordingly. This follows from 1. Those who are
Samadrita
Beyond Good and Evil simplified
- by Nietzsche's Ghost (with the borrowed use of an uncouth female GR reviewer's desktop)

i)I hate Germans and their silly jingoistic sense of self-worth.

ii)Women are fucking stupid and have no depth. 'They're not even shallow.'
"It is with Germans almost as it is with women: one never fathoms their depths; they don't have any, that is all."

iii)No bloody German university or professor spares a thought for my writings. Miserable old fools. I approve of the lone,
Keith
Mar 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
For those of you who are unfamiliar with him, Friedrich Nietzsche was an angry little man who protected himself from the Mean Old World by swaddling himself in an exaggerated ego (and an even more exaggerated moustache).

Rather than suggest that you read any or all of his works, I've taken the liberty of creating a "Nietzsche Book Generator" that you can use to construct your very own philosophical tomes, in the comfort of your own home!

Just follow these simple steps:

1) Make one or more
Trevor
Jun 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: philosophy
290. Every deep thinker is more afraid of being understood than of being misunderstood.

If Nietzsche had started here – rather than nearly ending with this thought – he might have been more comprehensible. His readers might have said – ‘oh, right, so that is how it is going to be, is it? We’re dealing with some smart-arse that is going to play games with us – well, play away…’

But, he doesn’t start here – he starts here:

“SUPPOSING that Truth is a woman--what then?”

Now, my lecturer at university
Elena
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A bit of well-meaning advice right at the start: don't read Nietzsche for moral insight or you'll drive yourself insane with rage, or else inhale some of the poison gas here. Read him instead for his insights into the nature of value, truth and knowledge. Nietzsche angers us most when he most successfully shows us how naked we humans are without our most cherished faiths - whether it be in human nature, natural law, the power of reason, or in a transcendent being to ground our incomplete, ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Jenseits von Gut und Böse: Vorspiel einer Philosophie der Zukunft = Beyond good and evil, Friedrich Nietzsche
In Beyond Good and Evil, Nietzsche accuses past philosophers of lacking critical sense and blindly accepting dogmatic premises in their consideration of morality. Specifically, he accuses them of founding grand metaphysical systems upon the faith that the good man is the opposite of the evil man, rather than just a different expression of the same basic impulses that find more direct
Tara
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nietzsche definitely had the Will to Power. The Power to Argue Logically, Employing Thoroughly Supported, Well-Developed Premises and Reaching Incisive, Cogent Conclusions…not so much. Still, I did find quite a few of his wittily-phrased sass attacks pretty entertaining. Mostly.
knig
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Why exactly, should I strive to be kind, and not cruel? Why am I being taught to be fair and not selfish all my life? Why should I subscribe to equal rights, non discrimination, egalitarianism and freedom of speech?

Nietzsche posits that the above mentioned virtues and aesthetic and or moral imperatives (or indeed any imperatives) are merely legacy, the result of Darwinian (although he does not use this word) qualities which have ensured the survival and prosperity of the ‘issuing’ authority.
Håkon
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beyond Good and Evil is a profound book about the Power, passion, and love of individuals. Nietzsche offers us in this book a way of life, in which one's Will to Power is the fundamental principle of society, and the individual.

Nietzsche criticizes every philosophy hitherto, as having been deceived by a presupposed moral system, or at least a moral end-goal, therefore not reaching for truth, rather, making truths so as to validate its moral preachings.

Christianity too, fell into the trap of
Steven Walle
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the writings of this philosopher. The author was a strong thinker of the eighteen hundreds. His philosophy goes strongly against the western thought of Christianity. Instead of the slave morality that Christianity imbrases, his philosophy celebrates living in the moment.
I recommend this book to all.
Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Diamond
Roy Lotz
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a strange book this is. I’m not sure that I am comfortable labeling it “philosophy.” Thoughtful, yes. Interesting, definitely. Philosophical, sure. But philosophy?

Nietzsche is a powerful and brilliant writer. His prose, swift; his sentences, roving; his tone, pugnacious. But I frequently wished he would decelerate from his brisk allegro to a moderato, to a tempo where he can better express his ideas systematically. But perhaps that’s not the point. After all, Nietzsche was aiming for
Szplug
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with my review of Thus Spoke Zarathustra, the below comprises the notes I jotted down—deciphered as best could be managed against the near hieroglyphic obfuscation of the chicken riot I call handwriting—when this was read some dozen or so years ago. As I failed to consistently make clear what were Nietzsche's words, as set against my own thoughts on the latter, the non-italicized portions may represent one giant act of plagiarizing. Luckily for me, the man seldom presented himself as ...more
Brad
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Although not what I expected, Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil was a more than satisfying meditation on morality. It wasn't what I expected because most of Nietzsche's words were spent prophesying about and discussing the "herd" mentality of democracy's slave culture, which prepares us for his final, magnificent essay, "What is Noble," but the overthrowing of my expectations was never a problem.

Too many pass over Nietzsche because they are pre-offended, missing what is powerful and vital in his
Lia
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nietzsche, philosophy
The hardest part of this whole process is to declare this book as "read". I'm not done with it. I've reread chapters, flipped back and forth to weave the necessary web to link up the scattered pieces, the clues. I've reread and re-interpreted aphorisms over and over... how can I say I'm "done" when I'm only becoming acquainted?

I wish I have something conclusive and clever to say about this book, but the only conclusive thing I can come up with is that this book treats you like a beast of
A.J.
Jan 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
The passage which really summed up this book for me was "Every deep thinker is more afraid of being understood than of being misunderstood." Yep, right there. It's what annoys me about a lot of philosophy - I just want people to be able to write clearly and honestly about what they actually mean. Nietzsche's language is so dense and impenetrable (and clearly deliberately so) that it is frustrating to read. There's definitely a whiff of the emperor's new clothes about this book.

And don't get me
Christopher Robin
so... God is dead,
any questions?

no, he never existed, he's another chain or anchor that man put on himself to limit potential, and yet another means of putting a limit on personal freedom. Now that the Judeo-Christian moral code, and other moral codes like it have been laid to rest, we can finally make something of ourselves.
Nietzsche makes the claim that he is here to clear the way for the coming Ubermensch much in the same way that John the Baptist claimed to clear the way for Christ.
I guess
Nemo
Aug 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
With a philosopher nothing at all is impersonal.

As an armchair Platonist, I had a personal aversion to Nietzsche, whose whole purpose in life seemed to be to overthrow Platonism. After reading "Beyond Good and Evil", however, my attitude changed from aversion to pity, that is, pity in the Nietzschean sense.

To illustrate my view of Nietzsche and his relation to Plato, let me introduce a Chinese fictional/mythical character, Sun Wukong (孙悟空), also known as the Monkey King. The Monkey King
David Huff
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Dur Wille zur Macht” (the Will to Power): what Nietzsche saw as the prime motivator in the lives of mankind: ambition, achievement, the struggle to reach as high as possible with one’s life. Often contrasted with Viktor Frankl’s view (Meaning) and Freud’s view (Pleasure).

This was one of my main takeaways from “Beyond Good and Evil” (BGE), my first foray into Nietzsche’s writings. BGE is a series of 9 essays and a concluding poem (“Aftersong”). Each essay is subdivided into smaller,
Stephen
4.0 stars. It has been a long time since I read this (almost 20 years) and so I do not remember a ton about the subject matter and this is on my list to re-read in the near future. Therefore, without getting into the merits of Nietzsche's arguments, I do remember this being a fascinating philosophical discussion with some interesting ideas on the basis and nature of morality that looked at many of our preconceived ideas in a new light.
Saadia B. || Hustle, Bustle and Hurdles
Started the book very enthusiastically but it was way too difficult to comprehend. Requires a lot of time and concentration in order to understand the book and writer’s point of view.
Cphe
Difficult to rate this. Read as a group read and I'll be the first to admit that reading "philosophy" is not something that I'm usually drawn to.

I will say that the concepts put forward by Nietzsche did make me question. This was my first read of Nietzsche so wasn't too sure what to expect. I did find following his thoughts and arguments difficult to grasp at times so the group read was a massive help.

I know I didn't get as much out of Nietzsche as others in the group who are more familiar with
Ryan
May 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, Nietzsche presents a difficult, possibly contradictory array of views on the subjects of society, morality and history. I am certain that he wouldn't take offense to our picking-and-choosing among his philosophy- he wouldn't want to be taken dogmatically. To suggest that we find splendid truth in his writing alongside heinous invective would probably please him. He certainly wouldn't claim to have a monopoly on truth and wants us to come to our own conclusions.

In keeping with his
John Martindale
Nietzsche is for the atheist what Charles Spurgeon was for Christian preachers. He has a creative way of saying things and this book is filled with one liners. He makes me think of a preacher, in that he says extreme things with absolute confidence, but does not back anything up or go into much depth. This book seemed to me not so much about going beyond good and evil, but rather a justification of evil. Alexander, Napoleon, Hitler, Stalin and Mao in their rejecting the "slave" morality and ...more
Crito
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to embrace the older writeup below as an example of what a weak reading of Nietzsche looks like. One of Nietzsche's major lines of arguments is that philosophy is a set of simplifications in part motivated by the will to ignorance; that is one makes oneself skeptical only to pursue an ideal of a philosophical system which will satisfy all questions in which the inquiry ceases. Nietzsche however firmly believes that is a simplification and indeed the onward progress is to critique ...more
Rhonda
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been hesitant to write this review simply because I have had so much fun re-reading this book, one which I consider, despite its small size, one of the most influential books on philosophy of the late 19th century. It is rare that one gets the chance to laugh at a philosopher's depictions of his art, but without a doubt, Nietzsche's vast knowledge and his almost flippant hard driving style combine to serve as a monumental explication of most of his philosophy.

Beyond Good and Evil is
Skyler
Nov 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books

I saw many negative reviews for this work, most of which reflected something similar to "Nietzche is stupid" or "Sexists pig!" or, alas, even "This was too much to handle and therefore it sucks." So, seeing this incredibly biased, instantaneous hardening towards the subject, I felt the need the comment.

First of all, if the only thing one can say after reading a philosophical treatise is "That is entirely stupid," then one clearly isn't meant for the realm of philosophy, at least at this point in

Luís C.
This work is, it is true, not devoid of weaknesses. There are pompous and empty rubbish, questionable and extravagant postulates, radical positions where the famous German philosopher lacks nuance, and many other flaws.
However, despite these important weaknesses, it would be wrong to completely neglect the work of Friedrich Nietzsche.
First, because not everything is just flawed in Nietzsche's work; there is indeed absurdities, there is indeed a certain lack of nuances. But there are also very
Justin Evans
Utterly meaningless star rating alert! BGE is really a great book, the best place to start with Nietzsche, I think, because it states his most important ideas in digestible chunks (unlike Zarathustra, which is so over-wrought and self-regarding that I have trouble even flicking through it), and has no aspirations towards unity (and so is unlike Genealogy of Morality, which achieves that unity at the price of being transparently silly). Friedrich works best in paragraphs, and that's what he gives ...more
Jonathan Terrington
Friedrich Nietzsche seems to be a philosophical writer, who to me, has become a bigger legend than his own writing demands. Having read his work I found that I was surprised by both the wordiness and the repetitive nature of his actual writing. In fact to put it flippantly, most of his arguments in this book come down to: 'everything is meaningless and everything is subjective'. Of course that's a gross exaggeration but it is how Nietzsche reads to me. I challenge anyone else to explain to me ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Missing page count 2 11 Aug 21, 2019 06:36AM
Classics and the ...: Part 9, What is Noble -- and the book as a whole 69 44 Dec 16, 2018 11:32AM
Classics and the ...: Part 8, Peoples and Fatherlands 40 25 Dec 05, 2018 08:14AM
Classics and the ...: Translations and Background material 54 92 Dec 03, 2018 07:41AM
Classics and the ...: Part 5, Natural History of Morals 103 46 Nov 22, 2018 08:04PM
Classics and the ...: Part 6, We Scholars 22 33 Nov 18, 2018 06:10PM
Classics and the ...: Part 3, What is Religious 99 57 Nov 08, 2018 06:36PM

• The Republic
  • Meditations
  • Nietzsche: Philosopher, Psychologist, Antichrist
  • Critique of Practical Reason (Texts in the History of Philosophy)
  • Ethics
  • Politics
  • Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals
  • Existentialism is a Humanism
  • Nietzsche and Philosophy
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche was a German philosopher of the late 19th century who challenged the foundations of Christianity and traditional morality. He was interested in the enhancement of individual and cultural health, and believed in life, creativity, power, and the realities of the world we live in, rather than those situated in a world beyond. Central to his philosophy is the idea of “ ...more
“One must shed the bad taste of wanting to agree with many. "Good" is no longer good when one's neighbor mouths it. And how should there be a "common good"! The term contradicts itself: whatever can be common always has little value. In the end it must be as it is and always has been: great things remain for the great, abysses for the profound, nuances and shudders for the refined, and, in brief, all that is rare for the rare.” 447 likes
“Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, and ages, it is the rule.” 379 likes