Start by marking “The Black Stallion Mystery (The Black Stallion, #13)” as Want to Read:
The Black Stallion Mystery (The Black Stallion, #13)

The Black Stallion Mystery

(The Black Stallion #13)

Someone's set a treacherous trap for Alec and his horse...
Published February 18th 1992 by Yearling (first published January 1st 1957)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Stallion Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Stallion Mystery

Dark-Draco
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horsey-fiction
The next book in the series starts of with Henry and Alec convinced that the stallion who sired the black is somehow still alive and siring a new generation of racehorses. Tracing the yearlings back to Spain, they load up the Black and off they go, finding themselves on the Spanish ranch of a crazy bullfighter. From there, it is back to Arabia and to old acquaintances, who want Alec's help in running down the ghostly stallion haunting the mountains. Alex must decide if helping his friends and so ...more
Gale
CHASING THE BLAKC:S ELUSIVE SIRE

Devoted fans of Alec Ramsay and his famous Black horse will be delighted by the mystery lurking--with increasing literary tension and menace--in this 13th in the YA series. Apparently parentless (or emancipated) by this novel, Alec is free to choose his own path-- usually in concert with his trainer/mentor, Henry. When they read about a pair of unusual Arabian yearlings in New York state they insist on viewing them in person. One look at the horses convinces them
Wendycarlson3
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was younger I loved horses and sought out every horse story I could find. The Black Stallion series was my favorite books throughout my whole teenage years, I read them all at least twice. This book is one of my favorite because it combined The Black with a good mystery. Alec goes to Spain to track down Black's sire, whom they thought was dead, but new stock being brought to America proved otherwise. I never could put this book down, reading it cover to cover every time.
Melody
Sep 14, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A little too much goes on here for it to be a straightforwardly good Black Stallion book. Farley was not afraid of over-reaching, which is certainly fun but does cause some eye-rollingly bad scenes. Secret passages? We got 'em! Kidnapping? Yup. Unknown location? Sure. Ghostly horses in the middle of the night? Check.

There's some misogynistic stuff in here that seems reflexive rather than thought-out. Not one of my favorites, for sure.
Kristen Coffin
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals
"The Arabian horse is the only breed with the courage to face a lion."

I read a lot of these books when I was young, got read of all of my horse books when I decided I was "too old" for them, and now, as I'm collecting them all again, I'm realizing I never read some of them. This is one of those.

What I like about these books, besides the horses, is that, if you've read The Black Stallion, you can really read any of the other books about the Black, in whatever order, because they are all self-cont
Clare Hutchinson
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
A quick reread of a childhood favourite. Exciting, fast-paced, with lots of drama! Revenge! Wild horse chases through the mountains! Near-death experiences! The unshakeable bond of a boy and a horse! Good stuff! Aaaaaaand then a huge cup of racism, most of it concentrated in the final few pages. Such is the danger of rereading old faves.
Sonya
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Although in a series, the book was complete by itself, sometimes referring to previous happenings that happened in another book, it was enough for us to carry on with this book.
Setting was well presented, with just enough to see the area, but not enough to grow weary of it.
Boys enjoyed the mystery. Also hated to stop.
Twyla
Katie Winkler
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the books that spurred my love of mysteries.
Ava
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: we-love-horses
It's not really a mystery.
Geriann Albers
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Only one I can't remember reading as a child.
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt
The Island Stallion Races
The Black Stallion's Courage
The Black Stallion Mystery
The Horse-Tamer (all by Walter Farley)

I stepped away from my re-read of this series as I just knew the two books listed first were coming up. Even as a child I never cared for the books without Alec and the Black. These two (Sulky Colt and Island Stallion Races) were even worse than I remembered. I wonder if The Island Stallion Races is what turned me off of sci-fi. The Black Stalli
Tania
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Alec and The Black have just finished a great test in their return to horse racing, however they face an even bigger one when they are dragged into the mystery of The Black's sire. Alec, Henry, and The Black take off for parts unknown when they learn that there are yearlings in the U.S. that can only be brothers of The Black. Adventure awaits, and maybe danger as well, as they attempt to unravel the true origins and uncover what really happened to stallion who begat The Black.

It's another great
Mirrani
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The important thing to remember about the Black Stallion series is that it has always combined adventure with horses. It doesn't matter how that combination comes about, you know that when you pick up one of the books written by Walter Farley, you'll get both of those subjects with one read. Is anyone going to find mysterious horses after being kidnapped and while wandering down a secret tunnel in a sheikh's mountain castle? Of course not. We all know it's not reality, it's adventure. If the hum ...more
Stacey
Sep 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
At first I had a hard time getting into this book, but soon I was absorbed. I read it pretty quickly as it isn't too long. I didn't know that there were other books in the series until I looked it up on this website. At first I was worried that since I hadn't read the other earlier books in the series I might have a hard time understanding it, but I was fine. It is an easy read that helped to relax me after a long day at work. I think that next time I go to the used book store I will try to find ...more
Texas State Poder
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Alec is looking for the sire of his horse The black. Some one had told him that he was dead. Some one told him he lived in this remote place Arabia. Since he was so eager to find him he got his friend Henry and went. Him and the black spend time looking for Angel Rodrigez and he found out some one had set a deadly trap and wanted to kill him. He found out that he was kept in a room and took him out in the night. When he saw him leave he wanted to why someone wanted to kill him. It turned out to ...more
Wendy
This felt kind of pointless, too, particularly after you read Young Black Stallion and a very important piece of caring about this book is retconned. The mystery was actually a twist I didn't see coming, so that was a positive, but the ending left a sour taste in my mouth.

Still, parts of it are pretty fun and engaging, although other parts drag. I suppose it's all a matter of taste, but I really just thought it was okay.
Rena Sherwood
This is one of the stranger books in the series. I had a copy from childhood until I was 29 and my copy was "well loved." I read this several times while I had it -- some times I liked it more than others. I read this before reading The Black Stallion Returns which was a mistake. You really need to read the series in order. I guess in this day and age the book would be considered Islamaphobic or misogynist.
Quadragon27
This book was really only okay. Walter Farley tries his hand at adding some mystery to his popular series, but the end result is simplistic and far too easy for me to guess (although it might be okay for a fairly young audience). It also centers on the Black's Arabian origins and some of the people involved, which has never been my favorite aspect of the series (The Black Returns was also one of my least favorite books). A little disappointing but probably okay for kids.
Sharon
Jan 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: childhood, horses
I raced through this series as a child. Of course, "The Black Stallion" was my favorite, and I read it a few times, but I waited eagerly for any of the books to return to my branch of the library so I could snap them up.
Serena
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, 20th-century

My Rating System:
Lynne Stringer
This was one of my least favourite Black Stallion books. I don't think Walter Farley is in his element when he veers away from the racing scene and engages in alternate storylines. I don't think it worked.
Faithann
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
There was one problem that I had with this book, and that was that it did not stay true to The Black Stallion story/history. There were things mentioned in The Black Stallion Returns that in this book, they changed. Aside from that, I did enjoy it and the twists that it took.
drowningmermaid
Mar 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Found this one quite memorable, as it is different from the rest of the series. Creeped me out a little as a kid, too. The parentage of the black stallion STILL strikes me as WEIRD, all these years later.
Jessica Timmons
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Taylor
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 1
Didn't like this one as much. A little corny maybe?
Jordyn
Feb 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Another Great Book
AbbyandLisa
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fantastic, an eerie (in a good way) story with plenty of scenes that create mind pictures to go with it. Definitely on my favorite mysteries list.
Tara Calaby
I gobbled up all of these books when I was in my horse phase.
Arin
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
how is this book? 4 16 Oct 24, 2012 06:32AM
  • The Black Stallion's Steeplechaser (Black Stallion Returns, #2)
  • Born to Trot
  • Wonder's Sister (Thoroughbred, #11)
Walter Farley's love for horses began when he was a small boy living in Syracuse, New York, and continued as he grew up in New York City, where his family moved. Young Walter never owned a horse. But unlike most city children, he had little trouble gaining firsthand experience with horses-his uncle was a professional horseman, and Walter spent much of his time at the stables with him.

"He wasn't th

The Black Stallion (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)
  • Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)
  • The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4)
  • The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)
  • The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)
  • The Island Stallion's Fury (The Black Stallion, #7)
  • The Black Stallion's Filly (The Black Stallion, #8)
  • The Black Stallion Revolts (The Black Stallion, #9)
  • The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (The Black Stallion, #10)