Start by marking “Shogun, Part 2” as Want to Read:
Shogun, Part 2

Shogun, Part 2

(Shogun #2)

"...Шогун беше най-висшия ранг, който някой смъртен можеше да достигне в Япония. Шогун означаваше върховен военен диктатор. Само един от всички даймио можеше да притежава титлата и само негово императорско величество, божественият син на небето, живеещ в уединение в Киото заедно с императорското семейство, можеше да даде титлата.
С назначаването си шогунът получаваше абсолю
Hardcover, Book Club Edition, 623 pages
Published 1975 by Atheneum

To ask other readers questions about Shogun, Part 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shogun, Part 2

Start your review of Shogun, Part 2
Holly
Jun 12, 2012 rated it liked it
James Clavell is clearly a gifted writer. His Shogun books have taken me on a journey to far away lands where I've learned about samurai, ninja, ladies of The Willow Word, geisha, karma, daimyos and seppuku, honor and traitors. Clalvell's writing casts a spell over his readers and draws them into long and complicated tales full of so many dually named characters that it can make your head spin. His books take a commitment to read.

I enjoyed these first two books of the Shogun series. That said,
Barry
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Seriously epic.
Krisztina
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable epic and a brilliant one!

Clavell does an excellent job of leading the reader towards seeing the Japanese way, the culture, tradition, way of life and mentality. He succeeds to portray Japanese culture through the lens of a Western explorer and to show how completely one's opinion of a culture can change after exposure and thought.

The reader gets into the head of everyone and the story will be deep in the head of one character, hearing their emotions, dreams, perceptions, and then i
Yigal Zur
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
read it years ago great novel and reserch
XO
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I felt like the end was incomplete, or maybe it was me wanting to read more of the story. You can look up the historical part.
denica Ivanova
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Words are not enough to describe the happines I experienced reding this book.
Thomas Rydder
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shogun is set in medieval Japan, in the time of warlords and endless battles. The samurai were the "knights" of their day, and reigned supreme in their land. A Lord's ranking and status dictated how many samurai he had at his disposal, and his army would gladly die - sometimes at their own hand - to serve him. The land was divided into provinces and the shifting of power was an endless tide of blood and deception.
Into this world walks an English pilot, John Blackthorne, whose ship and crew are
Peter
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
James Clavell is a fantastic writer when it comes to the setting of Asia. Much of the book is based on actual historical events, as are the characters so the story has an authentic feel.
Clavell goes into fantastic depth in every aspect and the characters are very well developed. It has an addictive plot and is very hard to put down, though the 1000 pages may be daunting at first if you're one who likes to get started on new books. I couldn't say anything other than I loved it and recommend it to
Debbie
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoy historical fiction because I can learn about the history of different cultures, and this book didn't fail to deliver in this regard. I found the formalities, "politenesses", and customs in this epic novel of the samurai during 1600 extremely intriguing. Unfortunately, I didn't feel an emotional connection with one of the protagonists, Lady Mariko, as I did with the other characters, John Blackthorne and Toranaga, but that's my opinion. Otherwise, I would have given this saga 5 stars. I d ...more
Jason McCuiston
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is actually a review of Parts I and II, as they are one singular story and not a novel and its sequel. In fact, I'm so glad that my copy of Part II came in the day after I finished Part I because the first volume doesn't really end. It just stops.
At any rate, this is an epic in every sense of the word with action, adventure, intrigue, romance, heroism, villainy, cruelty, faith, and almost every other conceivable facet of the human experience. And, if you are so inclined, it can even teach y
Vanessa Jones
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
'Yes, that was all my fault and I'm truly sorry, but that was a mistake, not a deliberate choice on my part. It is. So nothing can be done about it. A moment ago we were all almost dead. So all that worry and heartache was a waste, wasn't it? Karma. Yes, I know karma now.' This book centers around the character's karma. I recall a debate in college in regards to religion, and the discussion that religion can be a crutch that people may use so they don't have to deal with reality (i.e 'God's will ...more
Mitzis
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love historical fiction, and this book provided a deep and satisfying exploration of ancient Japanese culture, which I believe provides great insight into more modern experiences with Japan - WWII and even today. I loved, loved, loved learning about ancient Japan; their culture and perspective is fascinating! I enjoyed how the book begins from Blackthorne's perspective and ends with Toranaga's. I didn't give the book 5 stars for several reasons. Although the reader is obviously talented, I fou ...more
Alex
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
James Clavell is an incredibly gifted author who manages to capture what I think is the soul of Japan in this book - Bushido. The story flows naturally and intelligently and the character development is incredibly well done. The descriptions are so vivid that they transpose the reader to the world of Medieval Japan and it makes you feel like you're right next to Anjin-san in the thick of the story.

Wish that I had read it sooner... Heartily recommended to all readers out there!
Cheryl
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you want to get a sense for Japanese history, culture and thinking, this epic is ideal. Be prepared for 1100 pages (parts 1 and 2 together) of intrigue and mystery, a clash of cultures all with a bit of romance thrown in. This is my second read after at least 30 years, I pulled it off the shelf in preparation to a trip to Japan. I was not disappointed to dive into the world of Anjinsan, Toronagosan and Marikosan yet again.
Chris Tschirhart
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic writer about Asia, book is based on actual historical events, as are the characters. The story feels real.
The characters are very well developed. It has an addictive plot and is very hard to put down, though the many pages I found it daunting at first and at times had to put it down for 3-4 days. I loved it and recommend it to anyone who enjoys Japanese history, war, and maritime fiction.
Robert Collette
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I very rarely read a book twice. I read this when I was in high school and revisited now some 30 years later. In high school I had neither the age or wisdom to understand the majority of the themes and ideas of the book. Now I can at least say that I can comprehend the majority of the novel and thankfully can appreciate it for all of it's genius. I'll now have to revise my top ten list of the best books I've ever read, or expand it to a dozen, possibly. Shikata ga nai (仕方がない) , Karma, neh?
Sandra
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I finally finished reading parts 1 and 2 of Shogun again. My first reading occurred about 40 years ago. I have great admiration for James Clavell's knowledge of Japanese culture and his ability to construct an utterly fascinating story around it. Shogun is detailed, complex, and long, but it provides an incomparable view of a feudal Japan populated with unforgettable characters.
Cilian Georgiana
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and the way James Clavell writes. I went through the Japanese past and culture in a beautiful way, I may say. I appreciated so much the subjects that were tackled in this book and I feel that I know much more than I did 2 months ago about Japan's culture. I intend to read the other books wrote by him too.
Cat
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book from the start! So detailed and wonderful characters! The plot was fabulous and sets amazing. I was so worried when the made for tv event in 1980 came out. BUT_ wonder of wonders! Hollywood did it right! Just that much better to enjoy the story! (But I still love the book more!)
Dean Haywood
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Always have thought this was one of the finest books I have ever read.and I've read it 3 times and still think the same.
Ami Toben
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An absolute masterpiece. One of the best books ever written!
Velin
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Definitely more war-orientated than the 1st part and therefore a bit harder to read and understand.
Jeffrey
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Check out my review for the first book as this is merely a continuation of that book. :P
Katie Hass
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful historical fiction and beautifully written. James Clavell explores this time period in such exquisite detail. If you are looking for an adventure and want an epic one , this is your book.
Sheryl McCoy
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bittersweet, but realistic historical fiction
Katrin
Shelves: 10-books
one of my top books
Jess
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow, this is a great book with a look into Japanese culture, comedy, war and culture clashes.
Kara Martin

• Profesor Wilczur
  • Nuntă în cer
  • Enigma Otiliei
  • Minciuni pe canapea
  • Ultima noapte de dragoste, întâia noapte de război
  • Cei trei muschetari
  • Musashi
  • Adam și Eva
  • Fenomenul Pitești
  • Ion
James Clavell, born Charles Edmund Dumaresq Clavell was a British novelist, screenwriter, director and World War II veteran and POW. Clavell is best known for his epic Asian Saga series of novels and their televised adaptations, along with such films as The Great Escape, The Fly and To Sir, with Love.

--------------------------

James Clavell. (2007, November 10). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.

Shogun (2 books)
  • Shogun, Part 1

News & Interviews

Rumaan Alam began writing Leave the World Behind with a series of tweets on a secret Twitter account he started two years ago.   The book that...
“— Ужасно е, нали, да не можеш да имаш на никого доверие.

— А, не, Анджин-сан, много се извинявам. Това е просто едно от най-важните правила в живота — нито повече, нито по-малко.”
1 likes