Start by marking “Shogun, Part 2” as Want to Read:
Shogun, Part 2

Shogun, Part 2

(Shogun #2)

4.62  ·  Rating details ·  3,600 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
"...Шогун беше най-висшия ранг, който някой смъртен можеше да достигне в Япония. Шогун означаваше върховен военен диктатор. Само един от всички даймио можеше да притежава титлата и само негово императорско величество, божественият син на небето, живеещ в уединение в Киото заедно с императорското семейство, можеше да даде титлата.
С назначаването си шогунът получаваше абсолю
Hardcover, Book Club Edition, 623 pages
Published 1975 by Atheneum

To ask other readers questions about Shogun, Part 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shogun, Part 2

Krisztina
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable epic and a brilliant one!

Clavell does an excellent job of leading the reader towards seeing the Japanese way, the culture, tradition, way of life and mentality. He succeeds to portray Japanese culture through the lens of a Western explorer and to show how completely one's opinion of a culture can change after exposure and thought.

The reader gets into the head of everyone and the story will be deep in the head of one character, hearing their emotions, dreams, perceptions, and then i
Holly
Jun 12, 2012 rated it liked it
James Clavell is clearly a gifted writer. His Shogun books have taken me on a journey to far away lands where I've learned about samurai, ninja, ladies of The Willow Word, geisha, karma, daimyos and seppuku, honor and traitors. Clalvell's writing casts a spell over his readers and draws them into long and complicated tales full of so many dually named characters that it can make your head spin. His books take a commitment to read.

I enjoyed these first two books of the Shogun series. That said,
Barry
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Seriously epic.
Dora Mihayova
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Увлекателна книга, наситена с описания на японския бит и култура. Невероятен стил на писане, но то Клавел си го може :) В повече ми дойдоха само всичките задкулисни игри, сплетни, предателства, политически и търговски интереси.
Тооолкова дълго време я отлагах, изпитвах някакъв страх, но го преборих, прочетох я и не съжалявам.
Yona
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure, classics
One amazing book.
XO
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I felt like the end was incomplete, or maybe it was me wanting to read more of the story. You can look up the historical part.
Thomas Rydder
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shogun is set in medieval Japan, in the time of warlords and endless battles. The samurai were the "knights" of their day, and reigned supreme in their land. A Lord's ranking and status dictated how many samurai he had at his disposal, and his army would gladly die - sometimes at their own hand - to serve him. The land was divided into provinces and the shifting of power was an endless tide of blood and deception.
Into this world walks an English pilot, John Blackthorne, whose ship and crew are
Peter
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
James Clavell is a fantastic writer when it comes to the setting of Asia. Much of the book is based on actual historical events, as are the characters so the story has an authentic feel.
Clavell goes into fantastic depth in every aspect and the characters are very well developed. It has an addictive plot and is very hard to put down, though the 1000 pages may be daunting at first if you're one who likes to get started on new books. I couldn't say anything other than I loved it and recommend it to
Henri Fortier
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
D'une réalité fracassante , on croirais y etre!
Jason McCuiston
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is actually a review of Parts I and II, as they are one singular story and not a novel and its sequel. In fact, I'm so glad that my copy of Part II came in the day after I finished Part I because the first volume doesn't really end. It just stops.
At any rate, this is an epic in every sense of the word with action, adventure, intrigue, romance, heroism, villainy, cruelty, faith, and almost every other conceivable facet of the human experience. And, if you are so inclined, it can even teach y
Vanessa Jones
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
'Yes, that was all my fault and I'm truly sorry, but that was a mistake, not a deliberate choice on my part. It is. So nothing can be done about it. A moment ago we were all almost dead. So all that worry and heartache was a waste, wasn't it? Karma. Yes, I know karma now.' This book centers around the character's karma. I recall a debate in college in regards to religion, and the discussion that religion can be a crutch that people may use so they don't have to deal with reality (i.e 'God's will ...more
Mitzis
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love historical fiction, and this book provided a deep and satisfying exploration of ancient Japanese culture, which I believe provides great insight into more modern experiences with Japan - WWII and even today. I loved, loved, loved learning about ancient Japan; their culture and perspective is fascinating! I enjoyed how the book begins from Blackthorne's perspective and ends with Toranaga's. I didn't give the book 5 stars for several reasons. Although the reader is obviously talented, I fou ...more
Alex
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
James Clavell is an incredibly gifted author who manages to capture what I think is the soul of Japan in this book - Bushido. The story flows naturally and intelligently and the character development is incredibly well done. The descriptions are so vivid that they transpose the reader to the world of Medieval Japan and it makes you feel like you're right next to Anjin-san in the thick of the story.

Wish that I had read it sooner... Heartily recommended to all readers out there!
Cheryl
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you want to get a sense for Japanese history, culture and thinking, this epic is ideal. Be prepared for 1100 pages (parts 1 and 2 together) of intrigue and mystery, a clash of cultures all with a bit of romance thrown in. This is my second read after at least 30 years, I pulled it off the shelf in preparation to a trip to Japan. I was not disappointed to dive into the world of Anjinsan, Toronagosan and Marikosan yet again.
Cat
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book from the start! So detailed and wonderful characters! The plot was fabulous and sets amazing. I was so worried when the made for tv event in 1980 came out. BUT_ wonder of wonders! Hollywood did it right! Just that much better to enjoy the story! (But I still love the book more!)
Dean Haywood
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Always have thought this was one of the finest books I have ever read.and I've read it 3 times and still think the same.
Yigal Zur
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
read it years ago great novel and reserch
Katie Hass
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful historical fiction and beautifully written. James Clavell explores this time period in such exquisite detail. If you are looking for an adventure and want an epic one , this is your book.
Velin
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Definitely more war-orientated than the 1st part and therefore a bit harder to read and understand.
Ami Toben
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An absolute masterpiece. One of the best books ever written!
Jeffrey
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Check out my review for the first book as this is merely a continuation of that book. :P
Sheryl McCoy
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bittersweet, but realistic historical fiction
Cristina Ungureanu
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book! A masterpiece. Best book ever!
Nikola M
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Уникално четиво!
Robyn
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
Well, it is a classic. But for the most part, I was bored to tears. If it wasn't for complete stubbornness, I would never have completed it. I'm a big fan of Tai-Pan and thought that I would be doing James Clavell a disservice if I didn't read Shogun. I studied Japanese history in University and would say that Clavell's historical account of samurai and the Bushido code were accurate. I enjoyed padding my basic knowledge of Japanese history. In fact, Clavell borrowed the story line from a famous ...more
Snejina
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
И вторият том, както и края не ме разочароваха.. Клавел, като цяло е уникален автор,който съумява да те накара да съпреживяваш с героите му от началото , до самия край. От години исках да прочета Шогун ,но филма, който вярвам всички едно време гледахме с голям интерес ,ме спираше. По принцип обичам да знам възможно най-малко за книгите ,които чета.. Та ,когато реших, че е минало достатъчно време, и помня единствено някакви съвсем откъслечни моменти, взех че я прочетох. Достави ми огромно удоволс ...more
Jenny Zi
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This review is for Shogun volumes number 1 and 2.
This book is perfect if you want to be introduced to feudal Japan, for its goal is not only entertaining (which it does) but also learning about this strange - for the West - country. You manage to learn through the eyes of one who didn't choose to be there and doesn't know the language or the traditions and finds himself in the midst of a silent war, where strategy is everything and people also want to use him for their own purposes. Everything i
Amy
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was inspired to read this book after seeing reference to it in the New Zealand Film 'Boy'.
Being a fan of historical fiction, this was definitely my cup of tea - and in saying that, I've been drinking more 'cha' of late!
Although quite political for my taste, I was still able to read the story thoroughly.
This novel has not only sparked an interest for me in Japanese history and culture, but also respect.
The conclusion of the book has a nice little surprise and the remainder of the story can be f
Niya
(view spoiler)
Anyhow, Shogun turned out to be an amazing book absolutely worth the time to read all the 1200 pages. James Clavell has managed to do it again
  • Understanding Earth
  • The Idiot & The Possessed
  • It All Adds Up: From the Dim Past to the Uncertain Future
  • Tunc
  • The Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • The Heyday of the Insensitive Bastards
  • Bluebeard
  • The Legend of the Glorious Adventures of Tyl Ulenspiegel in the Land of Flanders & Elsewhere
  • Marshall Brain's How Stuff Works
  • City Life
  • A Piece of My Heart
  • L'ottava vibrazione
  • Six Great Modern Plays
James Clavell, born Charles Edmund Dumaresq Clavell was a British novelist, screenwriter, director and World War II veteran and POW. Clavell is best known for his epic Asian Saga series of novels and their televised adaptations, along with such films as The Great Escape, The Fly and To Sir, with Love.

--------------------------

James Clavell. (2007, November 10). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.

Shogun (2 books)