Start by marking “The Hold Life Has: Coca and Cultural Identity in an Andean Community” as Want to Read:
The Hold Life Has: Coca and Cultural Identity in an Andean Community

The Hold Life Has: Coca and Cultural Identity in an Andean Community

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  133 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
This second edition of Catherine J. Allen's distinctive ethnography of the Quechua-speaking people of the Andes brings their story into the present. She has added an extensive afterword based on her visits to Sonqo in 1995 and 2000, and has updated and revised parts of the original text. The book focuses on the very real problem of cultural continuity in a changing world, ...more
Published 2002 by Smithsonian Books

To ask other readers questions about The Hold Life Has, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hold Life Has

Lauren
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cultural, owned
This is a beautifully crafted, poignet ethnography. Not only is it packed with information on each page--Allen weaves the information with her personal experiences and observations in a true pursuit of Malinowski's call for anthropologists to seek "the hold life has" on the people they learn from.
Renee Pinkston
This is one of the first very well written anthropological ethnographies that I have read; Allen presents the material in a very understandable and not expected relatable way. The subject of the book, the Quechua-speaking people of the Andes Mountains of Peru.

I have had to read my fair share of ethnographies and I have seen that in order to craft a good ethnography, the author must open the work with clarity as well as something that will attract readers because otherwise, you just end up readin
Richard
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: south-america
I feel badly giving this book only two stars, but I rate books by how much I enjoy them, not by how well the author did his or her job. While I certainly appreciate and am impressed by the work and the thought that Catherine Allen put into her study, I'm afraid that it just didn't interest me that much. It wasn't a long book (only 236 pages) but it was too long for my tastes. The detailed descriptions of various rituals grew a bit tiresome. I don't fault Allen for including this stuff; it's what ...more
Carolina
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ethnography, andean
In depth look of the lives of the Runa kuna living in Sonqo Peru. Especially the ritual use of coca leaves and the manner in which these Andeans view life, its purpose, and how they related in the world.

I found this book interesting, though very dense on material. The most interesting parts for me were the various ways in which the Sonqo explain natural phenomenon as well as the impact drug trafficking and the anti-drug movement has negatively affected the ritual use of coca leaves.
Tyson Titensor
A very thorough and detailed ethnography. A bit more detailed than I wanted...I ended up doing a fair amount of skimming. Perhaps I will return to this book later if I decide I need a more thorough understanding of the subject matter.
Rebecca
Sep 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love ethnographies and this is by far the best one I have ever read. I found Allen's narrative captivating and she really inspired me to think further about the connection between cultural identity and language.
Peggy
Aug 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: excellent ethnographer
interesting look at the Andean cummunity and the way they use Coca
Jenelle
Ugh, Homework
Chela
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable to read; complex and well written.
Tiffany
Would read again
Kristin
Aug 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anthro-lovers
This was a very well put together ethnography focusing on the importance of Coca in an Andean village.
Emma McDonell
Mar 28, 2017
Daisy
Jun 04, 2015
lance van arsdale
rated it did not like it
Sep 08, 2014
  • Identity and the Museum Visitor Experience
  • Natural Symbols: Explorations in Cosmology
  • Spirit of the Rainforest
  • Pharmako/Gnosis: Plant Teachers and the Poison Path
  • Mama Lola: A Vodou Priestess in Brooklyn (Comparative Studies in Religion and Society)
  • Los ríos profundos
  • Lost in the Amazon: The True Story of Five Men and their Desperate Battle for Survival
  • The Secret Life of Puppets
  • Peru
  • The Forest of Symbols: Aspects Of Ndembu Ritual
  • Eight Feet in the Andes
  • The Rites of Passage
  • Cellophane
  • Silence on the Mountain: Stories of Terror, Betrayal, and Forgetting in Guatemala
  • The Cloud Forest: A Chronicle of the South American Wilderness
  • A Field Guide to Stars and Planets (Peterson Field Guides)