Start by marking “Perilous Seas (A Man of His Word, #3)” as Want to Read:
Perilous Seas (A Man of His Word, #3)

Perilous Seas

(A Man of His Word #3)

Queen Inos was badly shaken. Rap - loyal, trustworthy Rap - had appeared to her, obviously from beyond the grave. His insubstantial image, the echo of his voice...She stiffened her resolve. She would serve her people, whatever the cost. Rap would have wanted her to.

But Rap was alive, armed with a magic word and unwavering resolve to find his beloved Inos and give her whate
Published June 15th 1991 by Del Rey Books

To ask other readers questions about Perilous Seas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perilous Seas

Dawn
Algernon
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015

I must go down to the seas again,
to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship
and a star to steer her by.
Masefield, Sea-Fever

The stableboy and the princess, Rap and Inosolan, are still journeying towards each other in this third episode of the Man of His Word epic, with no signs yet of the finish line. I complained in the second book about this time spent in preparation, in building a strong political argument around two young heroes who didn't ask to live in 'interesting times
Stephen Graham
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
As we move closer to the climax, the pace of the series picks up. Scenes are handled more deftly, though the focus on Rap continues to be better than the focus on Inos. Largely because Rap is doing things and achieving something, whereas Inos is largely ineffective and frequently wrong.
M.J.
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, nostalgia, sf
Dave Duncan’s 1991 novel “Perilous Seas” is the third book in his four-part A Man of His Word Series and improves on both of its predecessors to deliver a fast-paced and largely entertaining story that has a stronger sense of forward momentum, albeit one that can still feel superficial and a tad formulaic.

(This review is part of my “Nostalgia” series, where I infrequently revisit a small collection of fantasy novels in my possession—most of which I inherited when I was younger—to determine if th
Ken
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow, this was a fast read. The best book so far, a lot happens, it's funny and I completely forgot the highly dramatic ending. What a ride! It was good that I waited so long with the re-read because I got to experience it all over again, as if reading it for the first time.

The first book is a bit of a slow start, which is a common criticism. And I also felt some slow parts in the second one, particularly with Inos' story-line. But none of that in the third one, just a wild ride form beginning to
Sean Atwood
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, fantasy, magic
The best entry in this series so far, "Perilous Seas" upped the ante in every possible way. There was more adventure, nail-biting moments of suspense, magic and intrigue than the first two books combined. The story really began to gel in this book, and the end game is beginning to take shape. The two main characters, Rap and Inos, have also grown a great deal. Inos in particular showed a lot of growth. I struggled with her character at times in the first two books, but I think she finally came i ...more
Kyra
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jeanine Launay
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the series. It's a bit of a formula, but it's one I enjoy. The writing is wry, I like the women and the men equally. I wouldn't mind more time with these characters, but the series has closed and that's fine. Will look for other books by this author.
Shelli
May 11, 2010 rated it liked it
This series picked up in the third book. The second book was a little slow and I almost didn't want to continue the series.
Ashley Lambert-Maberly
My least favourite ... I felt there was an awful lot of time wasted, and less of the breathless movement from incident to incident that enlivened the first book. (And the characterizations basically remain the same--I don't need constant action (I rather loathe it), but this is not a series that's delving deeply in to the psychology of its characters, so the endless treading water, or going and going back agains, rather palled. I felt like if the prior book and this book could have been combined ...more
Randall
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Lore, even better writing

Third book in “a man of his word” series, we follow rap and inosolan on their escapades in the sorcerous and fantastical world of pandemia. The books seem to follow this formula: book 1 Rap 70% inosolan 30%, book 2 rap 30% inosolan 70%, book 3 rap 60% inosolan 35% Kade 5%. Mr. Duncan made the right choice to focus on rap and his journey with the sorcerous gang to save inos. It’s your standard heroes journey, but with a very intriguing magic system. We learned a bi
James
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Engaging in parts and stultifyingly slow in others
Vicki
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Enjoyed
Oliver
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Dangit. Binging these books like they are on Netflix... Go Team Rap! Booo Team Azak. I am not pleased where it ended... but thankful I can read the last book in the series immediately.
Joelle
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
Disclaimer: This isnt as much a review of the book as it is a report on my enjoyment of the book, and its probably more useful as a way to check on my tastes and quirks than to decide whether to read the book[return][return]It's terribly hard to write a book and I am conscious I couldn't even write something half as good as an awful book. And this book is not awful at all! [return]But this is just to say I hate to criticise someone's hard work, but when I try to write a review books I often end ...more
Emil Söderman
So, in the Third book of A man of His Word... Things are really slow. Seriously, not many new plot threads are introduced (although we finally get to meet our resident viking raider) Inosolan goes out and discovers a neat new place that has absolutely nothing to do with the plot. Same thing for Rap who wanders around the world being useless. We get to meet the remaining Wardens (Honestly, I rather like the elf, he's sneaky, and does things just enough that you're left wondering if he's a heartle ...more
Nov 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Eric
I brought this series with me on vacation to the south of France, intending for them to last me two weeks. Instead, I blitzed through them in half a week, only to find at the end that I had left the forth book at home, and would not be able to finish the story for a week and a half. this was seriously distressing, because the end of this book is excruciatingly brilliant. After finishing it, had to pace back and fourth outside for about half an hour, talking furiously to myself the entire time. I ...more
Cal
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good. Best scene - Bithbal (the bouncer of the Mainbrace Saloon) is facing a rowdy evening when the elf and the jotunns walk in!

East and West, North and South - soon it will be the Hub.

Azak and Rasha are just two of the well developed characters in this installment.

And, of course, the gnome tending the dragon watch. Nice dinner scene with the kids eating vomit!

Ready for the finale.
Sarah Schanze
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another great installment, the ending was especially exciting. If I didn't already know there was a fourth book I would have been extremely upset with this ending, since it stops like it could be the last book in a trilogy, instead of a quartet.

Unfortunately, the kindle version I had of this one had a lot of formatting and spelling errors. It distracted me quite a few times, but not enough not to enjoy the story.
Sean Randall
Jun 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Though this book felt longer than it actually was, the threads are coming together with Duncan's typical aplomb. the perspective shift to kade, though short, was very impressively managed. The demonstrable nature of rap's task handed down from an authority figure (not a God but a sorcerer this time) is also quite typical Duncan, though the series isn't over yet and mysteries are bound to await us. we end on a Recessional, after all. next?

Sammy
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, fantasy, re-reads
Book three in the series really picks up the pace, and leaves on the kind of cliff hanger that means there's nothing for it but to dive headlong into the next one. Even when you've already read them all before.

I'm off to do exactly that.
Melanti
Dec 03, 2016 marked it as have-but-wont-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Clearing out some older books from my TBR.

I've lost a lot of interest in lightweight fantasy and since I've forgotten almost everything about this series and I see in my review to the last book that Duncan isn't very accommodating to forgetful people, I'll go ahead and move this off my TBR too.
smjbab
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best fantasy series I have ever read. Great story, characters you fall in love with regardless of race religion or creed, can't put the book down. Each of the 4 books in the Man of His Word series is better than the last.
AtlantaTwin
Mar 22, 2010 rated it liked it
The epic adventure continues. This is only a 3 star because so much was left un-resolved that you were required to read the 4th book to have any type of closure. Appreciated watching the characters grow and mature.
Cherry Dumas
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! I loved reading about the perils both Rap and Inos have been getting I too. Especially Raps part. Kado is also a character that you need to watch out for. She pops up with incredible spine right when it is needed. Poor Rap though...
Sbuchler
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sbuchler by: Sabrina
Genre: High Fantasy

A very satisfactory continuation of the series. I am quite obsessed with the series at this point ;-)
Steve
A Man of His Word
Holly
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Much better than the second book, but Inos is still an annoying character.
Maddy S
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
SHE CHOSE THE WRONG MAN!!!!!!!!!
  • With a Single Spell (Ethshar, #2)
  • The Fire Duke (Keepers of the Hidden Ways, #1)
  • The Dagger of Adendigaeth (A Pattern of Shadow & Light, #2)
  • A Hero Born (Realms of Chaos, #1)
  • Der Thron der Libelle (Drachen-Zyklus, #2)
  • The Sorcerer's Lady (Sorcerer, #1)
  • A Sword from Red Ice (Sword of Shadows, #3)
  • The Blackgod (Children of the Changeling, #2)
  • The Dreamstone (Arafel, #1)
  • Battle Mage: Winter's Edge (Tales of Alus, #4)
  • Blue Moon Rising (Forest Kingdom, #1)
  • A Thirst for Vengeance (The Ashes Saga, #1)
  • Nyphron Rising (The Riyria Revelations, #3)
  • The Fifth Book of Lost Swords: Coinspinner's Story (Lost Swords, #5)
Originally from Scotland, Dave Duncan lived all his adult life in Western Canada, having enjoyed a long career as a petroleum geologist before taking up writing. Since discovering that imaginary worlds were more satisfying than the real one, he published more than 60 novels, mostly in the fantasy genre, but also young adult, science fiction, and historical.

He wrote at times under the pseudonym Sa

A Man of His Word (4 books)
  • Magic Casement (A Man of His Word, #1)
  • Faery Lands Forlorn (A Man of His Word, #2)
  • Emperor and Clown (A Man of His Word, #4)