Start by marking “Fire-Hunter” as Want to Read:
Fire-Hunter

Fire-Hunter

"Fire-Hunter is the story of Hawk, a pre-historic man who is banished from his tribe for breaking the tribal law by inventing a spear-launching tool. He is left behind with Willow, an injured young woman abandoned by the tribe because of her inability to travel in the nomadic lifestyle they employ.
Published June 1st 1993 by Buccaneer Books (first published January 1st 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Fire-Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire-Hunter

Start your review of Fire-Hunter
Lawrence Ambrose
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Like many of the others here, I read this as a kid and it stuck with me ever since. I tried for years to find it online but failed. Now, at long last, I located my old friend. :)

One of the best prehistoric novels I've ever read. My next prehistoric novel was CLAN OF THE CAVE BEAR, which sucked me back into the genre (until Auel's series became Fifty Shades of Stone Age). I plan on rereading it soon. It will be interesting to see how the style strikes me now.
Richard
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
How many times did I read this between the age of 10 and 15? Ten? Obviously I loved. Last year I found it in a used bookstore, bought it, went home and read it in about three hours, enjoyingit all over again. It is a book for young people, you should keep that in mind - that is what my rating is based on.
David
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As many others I read this as a kid, this was one of my first books and after finding a copy on project Gutenberg, I had to read it again and loved it as much as my younger self.

This is a great book for young and adult readers alike; however I may not have enjoyed it so much if it hadn't made such an impression on my 8 year old self.

Highly recommended for young readers.
Dallas Denny
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I was in school I loved this story of a smart and creative Cro-Magnon boy, the first of his tribe and perhaps the first human to understand and appreciate the usefulness of fire. I still love it.
Barbara
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun read. Kids enjoyed it.
Tibby (she/her)
So, I read this book in either fifth or sixth grade and despite the fact that I can’t remember exactly when I read it, the story and enjoyment of it has stuck with me for all these years. I don’t know why it popped into my head a few weeks ago and I don’t know why this time around I decided I wanted to find a copy, but I thought it would be interesting to see if it held up after all these years. It took a bit of Googling around to find the title, but I knew if I saw a picture of the cover I woul ...more
Stephanie A.
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vintage, owned, rare
Superb story of a primitive man inventing all kinds of new tools and weapons in order to keep himself alive after being cast out of his tribe for breaking tradition. Working alongside Willow, a girl who was left for dead after a severe leg injury, she and Hawk combine male and female skills to forge a more comfortable life, greatly aided by the inadvertent taming of a wild puppy who works alongside him as a hunter. The book is full of thrilling hunting adventures, from cornering a baby giant slo ...more
Eve
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read
I remembered this book so vividly from my childhood and finally searched for it and, although I was sure it was by another author, somehow turned up the actual book that I recalled. I read most - if not all - of Kjelgaard's dog books (Big Read, Irish Red etc) as a young child and loved them. My kids had to read Big Read in elementary school and I read it along with them and felt that it did not stand up well at all. Fire-Hunter does, although there is some incidental sexism (the book was publish ...more
Phil Mcmanus
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Was forced to read it as a part of a High School freshman curriculum. With so many other well-written science fiction books to choose from at the time, this had to be the dullest of the choices. I know it turned off some of the kids from reading science fiction. In its defense the book would have been better left as a book report choice than to read it painstakingly a chapter at a time and discuss in class each week.
Tchipakkan
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, juvinile
This was the first book I ever bought with my own money- at a school book fair. I loved the story of Hawk and Willow, and many years later realized how many of their adventures (and inventions) were like that of the super talented Ayla and Jondelar in Jean Auel's Earth's Children series. In the space of a few seasons these outcasts invented waterproof baskets, bow and arrow, domesticated animals and fought off enemy tribes. I loved this book when I was ten!
King Haddock
May 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
This was definitely written according to Kjelgaard's usual style. However, I could not help but feel this book was rather repetitious and monotonous. Hawk, the protagonist, faces many dangerous beasts and learns how to develop the bow and arrow. It is very simple and thus gets rather dull after a while. I enjoyed the book, but it definitely was not a favorite, nor would I recomment it to anyone. If people read Kjelgaard, they ought to read Snow Dog (love that book).
J. Duck
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was read this book in fifth grade by my teacher. I loved it then, and I love it now, and I plan to read it to my kids, too.

This is the original book. Apparently, there is another version of it called Return of the Hunter that adds the story of the tribe that banished Hawk and Willow into the mix? I will probably read that at some point, but this is the story I will always remember.
Carrie
Nov 13, 2009 added it
Very satisfying story, except maybe the very ending, wouldn't have minded a little more romantic/interpersonal development, but a worthy quick read. Anyone wanna help me write a sequel?
Canavan
✭✭✭
Wade
Jul 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this was fun and inspireing my favorite book as a teen
Kevin
Nov 07, 2008 rated it did not like it
I believe this MIGHT be the first "book" I ever read, on my own, of my own choosing.
Rosemary Gunn
Jun 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Read when I was a preteen. Gave me nightmares, but it was truly fascinating and I loved it.
Charles
Jul 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Kjelgaard was not only a great author of dog books, but he wrote a very good prehistorical noel of early humankind as well. I liked it a lot.
Sheena
Oct 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the few books I read independantly. I mean with out being forced into it because of school. Grandpa De gave it to me, and I loved it! I think I was around 6th or 7th grade.
Amy Dinello
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read this when I was young...loved all his 'caveman' books, every book of his I could find, actually, even the dog books. LOVE his work
Kip1017
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fourth grade. This book was a weekly reader selection. Still have the book after almost sixty years. For a children's beginner novel it was good.
Patrick Dorwin
Oct 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books growing up, and I still read it every year or so. It's just a quick, fun read. My guilty pleasure.
Gary Burzell
Feb 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Read this as a kid and was surprised to see it here. As a kid I liked it.
Tom Cole
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Adult? Kid? You'll LOVE this! Kjelgaard is great.
Nathan
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the favorite books from my junior high school years. Enjoyable, fast read.
Lesley
Timothy Sensabaugh
Jul 26, 2012
Samantha
Jan 31, 2013

• Brian's Winter (Brian's Saga, #3)
  • Captain Marvel, Volume 1: Higher, Further, Faster, More
  • From The Deep
  • Primordia 3: The Lost World—Re-Evolution
  • Immortal Hulk (2018-) #1
  • Cryptid Country (Cryptid Zoo #2)
  • Momo: The Strange Case of the Missouri Monster
  • A Menagerie of Mysterious Beasts: Encounters with Cryptid Creatures
  • Cryptid Island
  • Wonder Woman By George Perez Vol. 1
  • Pliosaur (Vengeance from the Deep #1)
  • Wonder Woman by John Byrne, Book One
  • Tracker
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
  • Echo
  • Judgment on Janus (Janus, #1)
an American author of young adult literature.

Born in New York City, New York, Jim Kjelgaard is the author of more than forty novels, the most famous of which is 1945's "Big Red." It sold 225,000 copies by 1956 and was made into a 1962 Walt Disney film with the same title, Big Red. His books were primarily about dogs and wild animals, often with animal protagonists and told from the ani