Start by marking “Runaway Radish” as Want to Read:

Runaway Radish

Radish is a feisty pony--and the best teacher Judy has ever had. He teaches her how to ride, and how to go fast and far, and even how to fall off. But most of all, he teaches her to be patient. And when Judy outgrows him, he teaches Nina all the same things, and most of all, how to be brave.

But girls grow, and ponies stay the same size. What will Radish do with no one to
Published May 8th 2001 by Greenwillow Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Runaway Radish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaway Radish

Start your review of Runaway Radish
Sarah Johnson
A great book for kids transitioning into chapter books. I read it aloud to my 6 year old and we both really enjoyed it.
Cherry (_forevermint)
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I almost CRIED at the library reading this. Such a sweet tale about Radish the pony & his various owners.
Two girls outgrow Radish the pony, and think of a home for him where he will always have small children to teach how to ride.

Interest: horse-back riding
Taylor Lara
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
An absolutely precious heartwarming/breaking pearl! This book will delight any little girl (of any age!) who loves horses. ...more
Captain
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I remember getting this book from the library many years ago. It was such a cute story!
Katie
Dec 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
4 out of 5 stars

Haas broke the book up into five chapters. Because of the pencil illustrations and white space, this is a true first-chapter book. The illustrations do not have any color, which discourages the reader from straying from reading the text. The size of the font is large, again supporting the young reader. The vocabulary in the book was difficult, in my opinion, for beginning readers. Words such as tantrum, whinnied, and girth could be found in the book. However, Haas
Stephene
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
2nd to 4th grade
Haas' charming tale of a spunky but undervalued pony, Radish, draws readers in and keeps them hooked until the end. Medium-sized font, pencil illustrations and slightly-longer-than average length encourage the newly fluent reader. The appeal in this tale lies with Radish, and draws on most people's natural affection for animals. The lesson it teaches is also a bonus for children.
Related content areas: Science and Language Arts
Lesson Idea: Students will choose an animal they might
Abby Johnson
So, we're reading horse books for Reading Wildly this week and horse books are NOT my forte. I think I am missing that horse-lover gene that some kids have; I never was one for horse books. THAT SAID, I actually enjoyed this title quite a bit, especially after reading an article called "What Makes a Good Horse Book?" in which this title was mentioned. I notice the details about riding and horses that are included and would appeal to a young rider. The horse Radish narrates this story and he's a ...more
Bonnie
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another cute kids' book I picked up from a recent library sale. Adorable illustrations and the story is from the pony's POV rather than his girl owner(s). Kind of sad to watch Radish moving on to new owners, but unlike household pets such as cats and dogs which stay with a loving family for a lifetime, girls physically outgrow their first pony and it's not unusual to see them go on to new homes. So this was a cute and touching story of a sometimes persnickety pony and his search for a "forever" ...more
Brandi
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it
A seriously sweet and touching transitional reader chapter book about the spirited pony Radish who beloved and loving young girl owners keep outgrowing her. After Radish is sold to a new girl, Radish poignantly searches out her old owner. Once she is outgrown again, however, the perfect solution for Radish is finally found.

I don't usually go for animal stories, especially horses. I was never a horse girl. But this book really played on my heartstrings. Quite good.
Jun 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Jessie Haas is a wonderful author for a horsecrazy family. This is another one of Meagan's favorite read aloud chapter books. The main character, Radish the pony,teaches three very different girls how-to ride until each one sadly outgrows him. The ending solution is lovely, Radish becomes a school pony at the local riding academy where he continues to teach children about life and riding, until the daughter of his very first girl is ready to learn to ride.
Tiffany
Jan 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty cute little book. Not sure of the age range, but if your reader likes to read stories of horses this is a book for you. Fun little story that talks about what a new rider can learn from an old pony. Also, a good read about finding a place to fit in.
jacky
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to us as a first chapter book to read aloud. Natalie and I both really enjoyed it. I loved seeing Raddish teach new little girls important horse related lessons. Right balance of sad and happy.
Beverly
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jf-general
2001: ALA Notable Children's Book; Bulletin Blue Ribbon; HornBook Fanfare
Very simple vocabulary and large print make this book very good for 2nd grade and up. Though simple in the telling, it is a sweet story of an independent-minded pony's life.
Sam
Nov 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i loved it!!!!!!!!!! it was the best book ever!!!!!
Terrah Carroll
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a good story n friendship and trust.
Tracy
Dec 12, 2008 added it
Shelves: storytime
Based on the Night of the Radishes festival held on 12/23

Version of the Gingerbread Man
Sylvia
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The life of a pony who befriends many little girls and boys. great illustrations.
Leslie
Feb 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middlegrade
A nice early chapter book for horse-loving kids.
Anne Gove
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Turkey That Ate My Father
  • Vincent and Theo: The Van Gogh Brothers
  • The Wizard in the Tree
  • Ghosts of Greenglass House (Greenglass House #2)
  • Maybelle in the Soup
Jessie Haas has written over 35 books for children and adults, many about horses--a lifelong passion. She currently owns a Morgan mare, Robin, who is being clicker-trained to be a trail and pasture-dressage horse. She lives in a small, off-grid house in the woods with husband Michael J. Daley, two cats and a dog. When not writing or riding or reading she likes to knit, cook, and write, or ride, or ...more