Start by marking “Spin the Plate” as Want to Read:
Spin the Plate

Spin the Plate

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  115 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
January 2013 - fully updated, expanded, and revised. Ebook Now FRee from iTunes, Barnes & Noble, and Smashwords.

Jo is a survivor of a bleak and abusive childhood. She channels her pain and rage into weight training and roams the city streets at night as a powerful vigilante. While she is more than capable of defending herself against physical danger, she is defenseless
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Spin the Plate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spin the Plate

Kathryn
Spin the Plate is about Jo, an incest survivor, and Francis, the weird Christian stalker who decides to take Jo under his wing. Though positive, the ending felt off and incomplete. I've come to realize this is how I feel about the entire book overall.

This book is one of those borderline books, unlikely to fully please readers either solidly in generalized left or right wing camps, something which I am afraid will not help the author. Hardcore Christians will more than likely experience an array
Libby Hanna
Aug 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I can't think of another book that features characters as unique as Jo and Francis. Yet author Donna Anastasi places them so convincingly in the world we know that it makes you take a fresh look at the people you pass on the street and wonder about what back story they may be hiding. Every character in this book, including the minor ones, has a distinct personality and practically jumps off the page into your world.

It's also a story of an amazing personal transformation for a woman who seemed to
John Hodge
Aug 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished Spin the Plate several days ago and as I was driving the Mass Pike today, I found myself scanning the side of the highway looking for Jo and her dogs….suffice it to say the novel stuck with me.
Definitely edgier than I originally expected and I enjoyed following the twists of plot along the way. Early on, I thought that perhaps Francis was a “heavenly” character here on Earth looking for the next Messiah.

Another thought I had as I finished this book is that the state of Massachusetts
Eva Leger
I don't know how to start this review. I'm left almost speechless. I had no idea what I was going to get when I cracked this open. I'd read the description, found it interesting, and did want to read the book, but honestly, it didn't jump up into the front for me right then. There have to be - at least - a hundred or more books where I've loved the description and I still haven't gotten to read them.
This jumped up to the front when I talked to Anastasi. My nervousness did too. My reviews are al
Lyndz
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, own, reviewed
Spin the Plate is a good little weekend read.
I was worried that I would be put off by the “Christian themes” that this book was going to present. I do greatly appreciate being forewarned that it included a religious aspect so that I did not feel blindsided. I thought that the Christian facet of this book was not overdone and could be appreciated and even enjoyed by someone from any or no religious denomination.

Despite Anastasi being a first time novelist, I thought this was a very well told st
Brenda
Sep 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spin The Plate is Donna Anastasi's first attempt at writing fiction and I must say she hit a home run with this book!

The protagonist Juliana Orsiano,who goes by the name of Jo, puts up a very tough front, she dresses in baggy bib overalls and wears hiking books to her job as a tattoo artist. Every time she leaves the house she puts on her "fuck off " attitude to keep people from approaching her,men in particular. The reason she has has this tough girl exterior is simple, she was hurt badly as a
Cindy Meilink
Sep 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a free book I recently received from the author. Although the synopsis had sounded interesting, I wasn't really certain what to expect from this author's first novel.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised.

Most first novels can be pretty elementary--the author may jump around; the characters may not be developed; and the sentence structure can read like a fifth grade primer. That was not the case in this book.

I immediately felt drawn to the central character, Jo. Although an incest survi
Jul 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I absolutely loved this book; it is a very quick read and an awesome love story. Fans of romance should love this one. I was fortunate enough to win a copy thru Library Thing. This book reads more like a character study with the main character, Jo trying to overcome serious relationship issues that started when she was molested by her father. Luckily she meets a man named Francis who changes her for the better. This was a great first novel!
Kathleen
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read four books so far this week, and this is by far the best! I was so happy to find that Jo was able to find a place for her hurt, anger, and hate. That she was able to find love in her heart was a miracle in and of itself. I have to say the Bible passage for the wedding scene was the same one used at my wedding. Great job, Donna!
S.L. Vail
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thought-provoking modern allegory

Given its description, I expected Spin the Plate by Donna Anastasi to be a challenging book to read and it was, but not entirely for the reasons I anticipated. Simply put, it took me a while to put this story in context but once I did, I recognized the artistic foundations that underpin the narrative.

The main character, Jo, is a young woman who as a child was sexually and verbally abused by her father and essentially abandoned by her mother, a battered wife tur
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Tangi's Teardrops: A Single Tear Will Change Everything...
  • Wheel with a Single Spoke: and other poems
  • Catalina
  • Sleeper's Run
  • Sold to the Highest Bidder
  • When the Stars Threw Down Their Spears (The Goblin Wars, #3)
  • The Amadeus Net
  • Under Shifting Glass
  • Lethal Inheritance (The Diamond Peak Series, #1)
  • Shattered Wings
  • Textual Healing
  • Rabbit: Chasing Beth Rider
  • Wish (triology Faerieground, #1)
  • A Question of Manhood