Start by marking “Дети Хурина” as Want to Read:
Дети Хурина

Дети Хурина (Middle-Earth Universe)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  47,921 Ratings  ·  2,416 Reviews
Последнее произведение великого Джона Рональда Руэла Толкина.
Книга, рукопись которой подготовил к публикации и отредактировал сын Толкина Кристофер.
История короля Хурина и его сына, проклятого героя Турина Турамбара, жребием коего было нести погибель всем, кого он полюбит.
История черных дней эльфийских королевств Средиземья, одного за другим падавших под натиском сил Темно
Published 2008 by AST (first published April 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Дети Хурина, please sign up.

helena aeberli It's certainly not what I would call a very easy read, The Hobbit is a kids book, and LoTR is, as you say, fairly easy for anyone.
The plot of CoH is…more
The plot of CoH is a little harder to understand, and I would recommend reading The Silmarillion first, to get a better grasp of the complex mythology, and who the characters are etc. The Silmarillion also has an abridged version of CoH in it, so that's probably a better bet, though some of the other stuff is a little hard to get.

All in all, eventually, yes. CoH broke my heart, had me certain what would come next and is a worthwhile read for and Tolkien fan! Hope I helped!(less)

Ana
This book puts the M in melodrama. This is a very dark novel, probably the darkest of Tolkien's novels. They should rewrite the synopsis. The Children of Húrin- for those who can't deal with the sunny optimism of Game of Thrones. Nothing more needs to be said. (I saw this on a meme once)

The five stages of reading The Children of Húrin.

photo www_zpslrfkltkr.gif

photo www2_zpsgbxtzqmx.gif

photo www1_zps8tbqanio.gif

photo www3_zpso2i5k9e7.gif

photo www4_zpsh6nx6h6w.gif

Not that I'm complaining. This is Tolkien's best work. Yeah, I said it. No, I'm not drunk.
Jake
It has been said that all good things must come to an end. In this case, the end of Children of Hurin also marks the end of my quest to read a book by each of my five favorite authors. It seems like a fitting way to end this journey, in that Tolkien is the oldest of my favorites, and if there was ever a modern author suited to end-of-quest tales, it was Tolkien. He was also the author on my list that gave me the greatest concern—not only has he passed away, but his body of published work is rela ...more
Bookdragon Sean
The Children of Hurin is a tragic tale of love and loss, of remorseful earth-shattering revelations; consequently, it is also one of the most moving stories Tolkien ever devised. The execution never fully delivered it though, only because Tolkien never finished editing it. It just needs a little bit of polishing to remove a couple of tarnishes, and then it would be perfection.

The Ancient Greeks understood exactly how to evoke sorrow, pity and despair all in one powerful moment within their play
Lyn
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gandolf, Poul Anderson, J.R.R. Tolkien, Tom Bombadil and Ozzy Osbourne sit in the Green Dragon pub in Murfreesboro Tennessee and discuss Tolkien’s book The Children of Hurin.

Gandolf: Yes, Tom thank you, I will have some more of this delightful mead, what did you call it?

Tom: Melkor Mead, and here (offers a sample glass) try some of our Meriodoc Barleywine, we make them both here at Green Dragon.

Ozzy: Tahh, whassott faugh toouken majjes?

Tom: Thanks, Ozzy! I’ll let the kitchen know you like the so
Aldean
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tolkien, possessions
As a general rule I try to write my reviews "in a vacuum" as much as possible, that is, before I read through the other reviews already here. I am not going to be able to do that here. I have spent more than twenty years with this story (since my mother first read the Unfinished Tales version aloud to me when I was eight years old), and if Christopher Tolkien had not put this volume together, I might have eventually had the hubris to do so myself.

Let me start by making a couple of points. First
Dahlia
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hardcore Tolkien fans
cying

Instead of The Children or Húrin, this book should be entitled The story in which (view spoiler) by J.R.R. Tolkien. Oh. My. God. And here I thought only Shakespeare wrote good Renaissance tragedies. Really. This story is so tragically sad I forget it was written by Tolkien.
I won't write a summary for the story but I'll write down some things about it that might persuade you to read this amazing book:
1. Elves and more Elves! If you like wise, brave elves who like t
Lucia
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I can’t deny that Tolkien was master of his craft. However, this book missed the drive and compactness that his other books possessed and I didn’t like it as much as I hoped I would.

Was it because this book consists of small parts (scenes) of bigger picture put together after Tolkien’s death by someone else than master himself? Most probably.

Either way, this is a must-read for all true fans of Middle-earth!
beggs
Jul 01, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hardcore Tolkien fans.
The Children of Hurin is not a for people who saw the Lord of the Rings movies and then read the book. It's for hardcore fans. The people who remember all the names from the The Silmarillion. Or for the few people out there who reread Beowulf a lot. The Children of Hurin reads like a Nordic Saga.

As a self proclaimed Tolkien Fanatic I enjoyed The Children or Hurin. The Heroic, epic and ultimately tragic life of Turin and his sisters. It's not more The Lord of the Rings but it continues to paint a
Riku Sayuj
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After watching Hobbit, I desperately wanted to get some Tolkien fare, and I was (strangely enough) not up to reading LOTR for a thirteenth time (though I plan to soon enough). So I turned to the Children of Hurin and boy, was it fun.

Deriving from the Finnish national epic Kalevala and the tragic Kullervo, The Children of Hurin proves again what Tolkien can do with ancient legends and myths. I have to confess that I was looking for parallels with Beowulf through most of my readings and found man
Stefan Yates
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Children of Hurin provides some great historical material to Tolkien's world of Middle-Earth and adds even more richness to the Lord of the Rings. This addition to Tolkien's extensive historical background of Middle-earth fills in the gaps and fleshes out stories that have been mentioned and hinted at in other works by giving us a detailed and colorful look at the tragic story surrounding Túrin and Niënor (Hurin's children) and the ongoing battle against Morgoth, the master of the Lord of th ...more
Zorena
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tolkien Fans
This a much darker tale than Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit. Curses, deceit and never ending woe seem to make up this tome. This being a reread I found that I was having a much easier time of keeping the characters names straight. His world and history building really helped me understand the two more popular books which I already love. I'm just sorry I didn't reread The Silmarillion first as it has the history for this book. Call George R.R. Martin a world builder if you like but I'm pretty su ...more
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Another first-rate fantasy novel by Tolkien! Typical fantasy characters drawn from his races-elf, man, dwarf, orc. Disrespect, curses, doom, and war
And a dragon
It has all of the elements necessary for a classic, but I just couldn't connect. I am prejudiced I suppose. Nothing is The Lord of the Rings
But if i take that out of the picture I must rate this story highly.

After listening the second time I think my disconnect is with the Christopher Lee narration. His voice is so deep and he doesn't en
Antonio
Tengo pocas palabras que puedan describir este libro, solo diré que es la tragedia perfecta.

Soy fanático de J. R. R. Tolkien así que tal vez mi juicio no es imparcial, incluso cuando encontré este libro mi primera reacción fue, “un libro de Tolkien que no he leído”

Así pues para mí fue maravilloso, me hizo recordar cuándo por obligación tuve que leer la historia de Edipo Rey, y créanme cuando les digo que Tolkien no tiene nada que envidiarle a las tragedias griegas.

Con un trabajo destacado de
Jason Koivu
Dec 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Don't ask me to name any of the many gods, demons, peoples, and monsters that populated Tolkien's history book of his own fantasy world making. It's confusing and a second read will be necessary, but what I enjoyed were the tales. Following the heroic legends is like listening to a fireside tale told by a grandfather or an intriguing talk by a professor prone to long-windedness. You know it's good stuff and you wish you could stay awake during the endless narrative/lecture, but the old man will ...more
Jewel
Feb 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could’ve read this book in one sitting if I had the luxury of time. Like everything I’ve read of Tolkien so far (The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings), I found it engrossing and hard to put down. But don’t expect to have an experience similar to that of reading LOTR. Just as The Hobbit should not be compared in merit with LOTR, so shouldn’t this one, for though they come from the same world (Middle Earth), they’re entirely of different species (much like Elves, Dwarves and Men).

I knew even before
Heather
Apr 06, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Serious JRR Tolkien fans
This book is only for the serious JRR Tolkien fan. If you've read the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Silmarillion, and still want more, then you will probably be interested in this book. It is very different than the above books though. The Hobbit is a very easy read, written for a young audience. Lord of the Rings is a long tale, but keeps you drawn in til the end. The Silmarillion is incredibly complex, and difficult to read, yet fascinating because of all of the history of Middle Earth that it pr ...more
Joseph
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now I will sing the doom song.

This is probably the grimmest tale of Middle-earth, filled with treachery and betrayal and evil glamours and shocking revelations and all other manner of doom and tragedy. If you read The Silmarillion, you know the gist of the story. (If you didn't read The Silmarillion I'm not sure why you're reading this book in the first place.) This volume presents the tale of Túrin Turambar in a longer, more complete narrative (although it's still relatively short by modern sta
C.B. Cook
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy mackerel.

To be honest, I've never been into depressing books or tragedies. They're interesting... but they always seem incomplete, like Romeo and Juliet. Let's be honest, this is a much-better version of Romeo and Juliet.

I was really scared to start this, since I'd heard that it was pretty dark and depressing (view spoiler), but I actually really enjoyed it. In my opinion, it wasn't so bad.

The only reason this isn't a five-star book for me is tha
Carter Krummrich
Feb 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tolkein fans
Franco  Santos
Es un buen libro. Se me hizo muy pesado, eso es lo lamentable y por eso mismo van mis tres estrellas. No obstante, sin lugar a dudas es una obra magistral de Tolkien, donde demuestra que su imaginación y su maestría trasciende mucho más de sólo El Señor de los Anillos.

Es una obra que tiene lugar en un clima de tragedia y trata sobre una maldición que persigue a un hombre, quien busca escapar de la misma que lo atormenta en cada uno de sus actos e inunda sus pensamientos acuciantemente .

Es una
Daniel Ionson
There's so much to say about Tolkien's mastery of language and myth.

But what's important and powerful about CoH is that it stands (stylistically) somewhere in between Silmarillion and LotR. There are no anachronisms in Silmarillion, which are present in LotR (and the Hobbit, of course). CoH is blissfully free of them, but is also less "macro" than Sil. CoH treads on solid (Middle) earth, but is not quite as intimate as LotR (E.g., with Frodo & the other hobbits).

This is such a grim tale an
Emanuel
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O sofrimento é uma pedra de afiar para uma mente forte.

Há logo de início neste conto um prenúncio trágico e que se confirma no decorrer da leitura. Mais maduro do que a trilogia do anel, e definitivamente adulto. A história e lirismo narrativo de "Os Filhos de Húrin" remete para uma fantasia diferente em Tolkien, trágica, diria de expoente shakespeariano. Uma surpresa inesperada.

É isso que muitos homens ensinam e poucos aprendem. Não penses nos dias invisíveis. O de hoje é mais do que suficiente
Andrew
Jun 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I decided to take the next step of Tolkien nerdom and read one of his non-Lord of the Rings books. At first I was emotionally detached from this story because, let's face it, Tolkien's never really been that great with character development. I was bored, and I thought I should probably quit. But I persevered. Good thing I did! The last half of the book picks up speed, and it turns into something reminiscent of a Greek tragedy - which is something I did not expect. It shocked me, disturbed me ...more
Santiago
Leer a Tolkien tantos años después de haber leído el Señor de los Anillos es una sensación extraña. Este autor siempre nos lleva a tierra mágicas, donde siempre los héroes eran los personajes más pequeños y menos esperados. Cuando leí el Silmarilion vi que no siempre era así, que algunas veces Tolkien empezaba a escribir historias de grandes gestas heroicas y de grandes batallas (el Señor de los Anillos y el Hobbit también las tienen, pero los grandes héroes de estas historias no son los guerrer ...more
Giota (the reader)
After many years that I have been absent from Middle-Earth, I was finally able to get my hands on this book!!!

First, let me tell you that I am a huge Tolkienite, and The Silmarillion is one of my favorite books ever. The thing is, it's been like 9 years since I last read it and naturally many details have slipped my otherwise sharp mind! What does that have to do with The Children of Hurin, you ask? Well, if you haven't read The Silmarillion, it is near impossible to follow the story of this bo
TheSkepticalReader
I knew this story was heavily drawn from The Kalevala but I didn’t know the extent of that influence. Having read both The Kalevala and Tolkien’s own translation of The Story of Kullervo, I much prefer The Children of Húrin. I think the more I read this story, the more I seem to grow attached to it.
MTK
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ενδιαφέρον, ναι. Επικό, ναι. Αξίζει να το διαβάσεις, σίγουρα ναι. Αλλά πόση κατάθλιψη να αντέξει κανείς;
Joe
Jul 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy lovers
The Children of Hurin will make you cry--it made me cry, and that's saying something. I cry rarely, and only when something is as touching as the movie "Cool Runnings".
If you love the Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit but have not been able to muster the patience and dedication it takes to read the Silmarillion, this book will inspire you to delve deeper into the ancient, tragic and glorious history of middle earth.
The story is one of Tolkien's "Great Tales" and the text was compiled from previou
Kristalia
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: for everyone who can bear to read beautiful tragic story
Final rating: 5/5 stars

The Children of Húrin was one of the beautiful stories taken from The Silmarillion (Children of Húrin actually being the extended version of the story of Túrin Turambar from Silmarillion) , and the most tragic of them all. And i agree, because the fate of the Children of Húrin was not an easy one, and it was full of despair and regret. I don't think this is book for those who don't like tragedy, but i doubt there is another tragedy like this which moved me to tears. Also,
Pablo
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Años sin leer a Tolkien. Debo admitir que me acerqué a este libro con cierto temor. El temor de descubrir que el idealizado escritor con el que mi inicié en la lectura estuviera lejos de lo que recordaba . Ver caer a un viejo ídolo. Pero por surte mi temor no se cumplió.

Al igual que con Hesse (que volví después de muchos años), pude encontrar nuevamente eso que tanto me gustó cuando era adolescente. Y disfrutarlo desde mi yo actual. La prosa no era tan bella como la recordaba, si bien está por
J.R.R. Tolkien Ep...: Chapter 7-12 6 8 Aug 16, 2017 06:17PM
J.R.R. Tolkien Ep...: Preface, Introduction, Chapter 1 - 6 5 10 Aug 09, 2017 12:19AM
bulk sms delhi 1 4 Jul 26, 2017 10:05PM
J.R.R. Tolkien: The Children of Húrin 48 365 Jul 19, 2016 09:25AM
TORn Book Club: Book of the Month Discussion: 'The Children of Hurin' 7 13 Apr 06, 2016 08:08AM
The Children of H...: Week 2 4 10 Apr 05, 2016 03:19PM
  • The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth
  • The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth
  • The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion
  • Dreamsongs, Volume II
  • A Gateway to Sindarin: A Grammar of an Elvish Language from JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
  • Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth
  • The Inklings: C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, and Their Friends
  • The Philosophy of Tolkien: The Worldview Behind the Lord of the Rings
  • J.R.R. Tolkien's Sanctifying Myth: Understanding Middle-Earth
  • Tolkien: a Biography
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...

Middle-Earth Universe (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Hobbit
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Silmarillion (Middle-Earth Universe)
  • Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth
  • Beren and Lúthien
  • The Book of Lost Tales, Part One (The History of Middle-Earth, #1)
  • The Book of Lost Tales, Part Two (The History of Middle-Earth, #2)
  • The Lays of Beleriand (The History of Middle-Earth, #3)

“A man that flies from his fear may find that he has only taken a short cut to meet it.” 1521 likes
“False hopes are more dangerous than fears.” 221 likes