Start by marking “The Minister's Restoration” as Want to Read:
The Minister's Restoration

The Minister's Restoration

The story of a young minister who ultimately must face the reality of the sin he has committed.
Published March 1st 1988 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1897)

To ask other readers questions about The Minister's Restoration, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Minister's Restoration

Start your review of The Minister's Restoration
Hannah
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
This story is not an easy read, but it's wonderful. The young minister is full of pride and thinks himself above others because of his holiness. However, he has an affair with a girl at the boarding-house, thinking her worry of only "flirtation" and not marriage. But when his affair is discovered, how will he respond? Will his pride be broken and true holiness have a chance, or is he doomed to forever be a hypocrite of false righteousness?

This deals mainly with pride. MacDonald manages to show
Olivia
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So profound! I love MacDonald for that very reason. Every page has some depth to it and makes you think. I'll probably add some good quotes from this book eventually. James story of redemption was great...showing the inner struggle of man and the need to repent of our sin no matter how great!! What I appreciate is how little description MacDonald gives of James sin. So many modern Christian authors go into detail about things that should rather be written discreetly.
Perry Whitford
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James Blatherwick, a vain and selfish minister more interested in the eloquence of his sermons than the true meaning of the Gospel, wrongs a young woman and becomes a hypocrite by avoiding her.

Living in contrast contrast to Blatherwick's false faith are MacLear, a humble soutar (cobbler) and his daughter Maggie, both modest in their means but authentic believers who live by the example of Christ. They also speak in authentic Scotch dialect:

Weel, minister, hoo are ye the day? Is the yerd ony
Stacey
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
George MacDonald is amazing and any time I read one of his books, my walk with Jesus is challenged. He often focuses on themes of obedience and charity, especially in regards to the poor and suffering. This one was a little challenging because of the Scottish dialect, but also fun for that very reason. This story deals with a young pastor who is hiding a dark secret, and God's loving ways of bringing truth to light, and His lost ones back to Himself...as appropriate for today as it was when it ...more
Connie Miller
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
My first encounter with Mr. Mac Donald left me hungry for more of his stories. I cannot imagine a young reader enjoying this work as the Scotch dialect is a challenge to read. Personally, I enjoyed it and heard my Scottish friends' voices as I read.
The story deals with an issue as old as time. Ego, lust, fear, pride and the fall from it, as well as humility, restoration and forgiveness.
Throughout Jesus is magnified as He really is; God searching and yearning for His wee lost sheep.
Johnny
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
George MacDonald has yet to disappoint me. This book was absolutely great. The Scotch vernacular was difficult to understand at times, but at the same time it made you really pay attention to the dialogue. This story was littered with truth, and warning, hope and despair. A great reminder that we all fall, but we are all capable of being redeemed. Stop what you're doing and read it.
Ben
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
The embedded truths in this book can speak to everyone. As the last book before his death, MacDonald leaves a solid, unyielding story about our lives. Good, short read about James being salted with God's refining fire.
Hope
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Not my favorite MacDonald title, but he always gives food for thought. No fluffy romances here!
Kathryn Bronn
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Probably George MacDonald's masterpiece. The last novel he wrote at the end of his life, short and intense. I love many of his books, but this one cuts right to the chase and goes deep to the heart.
Susan Triplett
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a hard copy of this book, not the kindle edition. I rate it highly for substance. Persevere with small print and Scottish dialect!
Christian
Mar 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Always love George MacDonald and the way he points my heart toward the mercy and grace of Jesus.
Eric
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Part of a trilogy that a friend loaned to me with the recommendation that I read it. A period piece. More interesting for the setting and writing than the story line.
Bethany
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not my favorite plot, but it brings on those rich MacDonald-style theological moments that make the whole read worth it.
Rachel
Dec 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2008
Best for older readers. Wouldn't be my favorite MacDonald, but there are still some valuable points.
May
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Och, who knew MacDonald could write about swooning ladies, and wee Bairnies! Id previously read only his fantasy! ...more
Tim Isbell
May 23, 2017
John
Jan 16, 2011
Linda Dikkema
rated it did not like it
Apr 23, 2018
Deirdre Mcmurtry
May 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Crusader (Wayfarer Redemption, #6)
  • Burning Girls
  • Dinner with a Perfect Stranger: An Invitation Worth Considering
  • Black: The Birth of Evil (The Circle: The Graphic Novel, #1)
  • Bad Girls: Sirens, Jezebels, Murderesses, Thieves, & Other Female Villains
  • Chaos - Graphic Novel (The Lost Books, #4)
  • The Glue Famine
  • Galatea
  • Get to Work, Hercules! (Myth-O-Mania, #7)
  • The Day Metallica Came to Church: Searching for the Everywhere God in Everything
  • Harry Potter: A History of Magic
  • The Way I Heard It
  • Yeshua: A Guide to the Real Jesus and the Original Church
  • Dangerous Calling: Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry
  • Cheaper by the Dozen (Cheaper by the Dozen, #1)
  • Reason, Faith, and the Struggle for Western Civilization
  • The Wormwood Prophecy: NASA, Donald Trump, and a Cosmic Cover-up of End-Time Proportions
George MacDonald was a Scottish author, poet, and Christian minister.

He was educated at Aberdeen University and after a short and stormy career as a minister at Arundel, where his unorthodox views led to his dismissal, he turned to fiction as a means of earning a living. He wrote over 50 books.

Known particularly for his poignant fairy tales and fantasy novels, MacDonald inspired many authors, such

News & Interviews