Start by marking “I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (The Voice from the Edge #1)” as Want to Read:
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (The Voice from the Edge #1)

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

(Voice from the Edge #1)

Harlan Ellison has won more awards for imaginative literature than any other living author, but only aficionados of Ellison's singular work have been aware of another of his passions...he is a great oral interpreter of his stories. His recordings have been difficult to obtain...by his choice. In 1999, for the 1st time, he was lured into the studio to record this stunning r ...more
Audio CD, 6 pages
Published November 20th 2002 by Fantastic Audio Literature (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

Stephen
Harlan Ellison:…Brash, insightful observer of the human condition?...
Photobucket
OR

bitter, crotchety old man who just hates everyone?...
Photobucket

Uh…YES

He’s also one of my favorite short story authors. That said, you don’t go into Ellison’s stories looking for a life-affirming dose of the warmUh…He’s
Bradley
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wondering whether to read early Harlan Ellison is a complete no-brainer. I admit to avoiding Harlan for most of my life despite calling myself a master fan... but why? Oh, the several reasons seemed good at the time, like I prefer novels over short stories and it's such an investment in time and Hey, isn't that the guy always surrounded by controversy and you either hate him or love him and sometimes waffle in the same day?

Well. Haberdash. His writing is what counts. I've been asinin
Tilly Slaton
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Holy shit!

Ok!...Let's see. Where shall I begin?

I am a great soft jelly thing. Smoothly rounded, with no mouth, with pulsing white holes filled by fog where my eyes used to be. Rubbery appendages that were once my arms; bulks rounding down into legless jumps of soft slippery matter....

Does... Holy shit! work?

A fellow reviewer on goodreads posted a review of this short story. I read a ton of reviews, and although many are quite intriguing, I do not find myself drawn/>I
Stuart
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream: The Voice From the Edge Vol. 1: Ellison narrates his best stories brilliantly
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature
Harlan Ellison is probably one of SF’s biggest personalities. By all accounts, he’s brash, cocky, arrogant, abrasive, and obnoxious. He is also one of the most brilliant practitioners ever to hammer away at a typewriter, producing over 1,700 screenplays, novellas, short stories, essays, and pieces of criticism, etc. Perhaps his greatest contribution to the SF fi
Jim
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it
This short story was the title of the first anthology of Ellison's that I ever read. I can't recall any more if it had any of the same stories, but I'm fairly sure all weren't the same.

Here's the TOC from the Wikipedia page:
Introduction to I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (1967) (Hugo Award winner)
"Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman (1965) (Nebu
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Image result for A BOY and his dog

Image result for I Have no mouth and must scream

Image result for the time of the eye ellison

Image result for grail harlan ellison

Image result for fallout 1 deviantart

Holy hellsticks, Batman.

Review to come.
Tudor Ciocarlie
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Incredible experience! I will never read anything by Ellison again. I will only listen to him reading.
Michael Adams
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked a number of the stories in this Audiobook, though Ellison’s voice was not very well suited to most of them. The stories set in the present worked, his ‘expressive curmudgeon’ style of delivery worked. The ones with more unique settings, fantastical or futuristic, not so much. The stories themselves impressed me a bit less than I might have guessed based on the esteem Ellison’s work is held in. A pretty good collection, though I feel only one or two of these were stories I’d be interested ...more
Ed [Redacted]
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Pretty good book which suffers from the fact that I have read the two main stories in this collection, I Have no Mouth And I Must Scream and "Repent Harlequin", Said the Ticktock Man. About 30 times each. Even so, Ellison is one of the great deranged lunatic geniuses in the history of literature and any time he reads his stories himself, you can be sure it will be entertaining.
Steven
Harlan Ellison was known as a lot of things in his lifetime. A self-taught writer, a staunch humanitarian, a crotchety old shit with a bad temper, impossible to work with, trademarked his own name, the list goes on. But for me, Ellisons stories went a long way to influencing my own writing style. Before that China Mieville and H.P Lovecraft were my main influences but it was Ellison who showed me you can pair flowery prose with a brisk, no-nonsense style.

The Voice from the Edge Volume 1 was my first expo
Kat  Hooper
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at FanLit.

Probably everyone who knows anything about Harlan Ellison knows he’s a jerk (please don’t sue me, Mr. Ellison). I had to consciously put aside my personal opinion of the man while listening to him narrate his audiobook I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream: The Voice From the Edge Vol. 1. I was disgusted by some of these stories, but I have to admit that ev
Bil Richardson
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OK I've read everything Harlan Ellison has ever written but hearing him read his own work was amazing. His machine gun mind is on full display here. He sprays the words faster than you can read them and it gives the stories a frenetic tension that I loved. In places the words seem to attack you and you get an even better sense of just what an phenomenal mind this man had.

Even if you know his work well, LISTEN TO THIS AUDIOBOOK. It will give you a renewed appreciation for one of the best writers
Keith Bowden
A wonderful collection from the single most stirring author of the 20th century, read in his inimitable style, enthusiasm and love for the craft of writing.
One caveat: "Fantastic Audio" certainly doesn't live up to their name. The CDs were taken from poorly recorded analog tape and the hiss is annoying. Have to turn the treble waaaay down to compensate and you can still hear it. However, the stories and Harlan's performances are, as ever, striking.
Steve Fletcher
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is some of Harlan Ellison's best stories, narrated by the author himself.

I have read many of these stories previously, but hearing the author himself read them, they take on a whole new meaning.

I'm looking forward to listening to more in this series.
Steven
Googled and found a 13 page pdf of the story.

I don't know what to really make of this. I could go on a long, introspective journey to make more of this story than I initially felt or just be honest and say it's a bleak tale with some interesting imagery.

The story is about 5 individuals trapped in an eternity by an aggressive and hostile AI that has murdered humanity known as AM. The narrator is the most "normal" one as the story progresses while the others are all defined
Erik
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you're looking for an awesome story teller, someone that acts out the characters and not just read their lines (a problem in many audiobooks), you really can't go wrong with this guy. Ellison gets into it hard, and holy wowza, his intensity is infectious. His stories are much edgier than I remember them, too. I've never read any of the stories in this audiobook, or at least I don't recall doing so. If I have, I'm glad I forgot because hearing them "fresh" was an amazing experience.

My only gripe i
Joaquin
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Absolutely stunning performance by Ellison in the audiobook version, it adds so much to the characters, the tone, the tension. Some of the short stories are good, some are great, it's a nice mix. I immediately got Vol. 2 to continue listening, he's just such an energetic performer..
Andrew Paulson
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Most of the stories were really great. I have no mouth, and I must scream; Paladin of the Lost Hour, Laugh Track, and "Repent, Harlequin!" were my favorites. I listened to it on Audible, and Harlan Ellison is a great narrator. Would recommend to anyone who likes weird and interesting stories.
Thomas
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I listened to this as an audiobook, read by Harlan Ellison himself. And wow, what an experience!
The stories themselves are excellent but the main attraction here is listening to mr Ellison. He is often quite intense though, so I had to listen in portions.
J
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Some of these stories are classics and some of them are just okay for me, but what really gets me is that Ellison is a good narrator if you like very dramatic readings. Like almost unhinged drama. Like screaming when you're listening, which really needs a bit of modulation.
Almeta
Some more fun than others, as is expected of all short story collections.

This one contains my favorite A Boy and His Dog, a dystopian tale.
Syd
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
While incredibly bleak, this is a very insightful and philosophical work of sci-fi for its time
Shawn Gordon
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories. Several classics, including I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream; A Boy and His Dog; and Repent Harlequin! Said the TickTock Man.
Clint Smallwood
Oct 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
if i could give this story 0 stars i would. this is one of the most self-masturbatory, idiotic, just-for-shock-with-no-real-message things i have ever read.
Bear Mcbearington
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Listened to the audio book narrated by Ellison himself, as good a story teller as he is a writer. An absolute master of his craft.
Sean Kottke
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
The first collection of Ellison masterworks, read by the author in his inimitable style that deepens the impact of some already powerful tales. In addition to the title story, there are a few nifty, tightly constructed Twilight Zone-esque pieces, the novella "A Boy and His Dog," and "Grail," which Ellison claims to be his favorite accomplishment (and deeply underrated) in his introductory remarks. There are also a couple of head-scratchers that I didn't connect with, but on the whole, a good representatio ...more
Jon Malone
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bloody brilliant. The stories are amongst the greatest short stories ever written, in my opinion of course, but read by Harlan Ellison himself they leap to a whole new level of genius. Absolutely incredible reading. For the last twenty plus years I have been determined to read everything HE has written. Now I have another mission - to listen to everything he reads. Hopefully it won't take me twenty years.
Kalyn
Apr 03, 2015 added it
Love "Repent Harlequin" and Ellison's dynamic readings. He has some wonderfully creative and engaging ideas, but I had a really hard time with the misogyny and rape themes... Stuck it out for the unique vision but could have done without the lady-hate.
Joe Osborne
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
This is seriously an excellent collection of some of Ellison's best short stories narrated by the author. Usually I steer away from author narration but Harlan really does an excellent job with his own material.
Kevin
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This book has some truly messed up stories. I don't know if it is suppose to be scifi, fantasy, horror or comedy, because each story so far contains a little of each.

Well that last story wasn't funny... not one bit.

3/5 Stars

• Fantastic Tales of Ray Bradbury
  • The Ends Of The Earth
  • Power & Light (The Collected Stories of Roger Zelazny, Vol 2)
  • The John Varley Reader
  • The Love of My (Other) Life
  • Minority Report and Other Stories
  • Freehold
  • Beggars in Spain
Harlan Jay Ellison was a prolific American writer of short stories, novellas, teleplays, essays, and criticism.

His literary and television work has received many awards. He wrote for the original series of both The Outer Limits and Star Trek as well as The Alfred Hitchcock Hour; edited the multiple-award-winning short story anthology series Dangerous Visions; and served as creative consultant/writer to the s

Voice from the Edge (4 books)
  • Midnight in the Sunken Cathedral (Voice from the Edge)
  • Pretty Maggie Moneyeyes (Voice from the Edge, Vol. 3)
  • The Deathbird & Other Stories