Start by marking “A Night of Blacker Darkness” as Want to Read:

(Frederick Whithers #1)

Wrongly imprisoned, Frederick Whithers is desperate to commit the crime he's already being punished for: defrauding the bank out of a vast inheritance. He fakes his death to escape, but when he's seen climbing out of a coffin everyone assumes he's a vampire; when he shows none of the traditional vampire weaknesses, they decide he must be the Great One, the most powerful va ...more
Kindle Edition
Published July 26th 2011

To ask other readers questions about A Night of Blacker Darkness, please sign up.
Lew Yes, unless you live in Germany. It looks like there was a print version published there.

Heather
What do Jane Austen, *Anne Elliot*, John Keats, and Mary Shelley all have in common? Frederick Withers.

A zany tale of an ordinary banker who is thrown into prison for fraud. When his cell mate dies of consumption, or some other random horrible disease, Frederick escapes in the coffin. Once outside (in the graveyard, of course), he runs into a group of vampires who think he is the Great One.

No matter how much Frederick denies his vampire-ism, he is constantly followed by the knee-scooting worship
Eric Allen
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Being the memoir of Frederick Withers
As Edited by Cecil G. Bagsworth III

By Dan Wells

A Review by Eric Allen

A Night of Blacker Darkness is, perhaps, the silliest book that I have read outside of Discworld, and it is GLORIOUS. It is a rather short book that Dan Wells wrote in his spare time whilst putting together his forthcoming Partials series, and the two other books that he is publishing this year. It was released only in E-book format, and later as an audiobook, and
Kathryn Robinson
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Perfect Halloween book that is just so much FUN! Vampires, coffins, dead bodies, literary figure references, hilarious rhetoric and great characters. Really enjoyed every page! Big thanks to my SIL for the referral!
Julie Bozza
A silly and amusing tale of fraud, vampires, body-snatching, and other acts of derring-do, set in Bath and London. I read it for the sake of a fictional John Keats, who was actually rather cool (though alas we didn't hear enough from him in the latter parts of the book).

Recommended if you want a bit of nonsensical fun (and don't mind some rather poor eBook formatting).
WortGestalt
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nun, wenn man jetzt denkt, der Erfolgsautor Dan Wells will sich auch noch ein Stück vom Kuchen nehmen und an dem literarischen Hype der Vampirgeschichte teilhaben, so irrt man sich. Die vorliegende Horror-Komödie "Sarg niemals nie" ist kein weiterer Versuch, die blutsaugenden Gestalten neu zu erfinden, sondern vielmehr eine Ode an den klassischen Schauerroman. Und eine großartige Satire!

Wir befinden uns im England des frühen 19. Jahrhunderts. Im Jahre 1817 hat sich der liebenswerte Gauner Freder
Leni - The White Book Cottage
3.5
An entertaining and quick read!
Lichi
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Hätte ich ein Grab würde ich mich jetzt beleidigt darin umdrehen!"

Eigentlich hätte es nur 4 Sterne verdient für das Ende (da wäre noch was gegangen~) aber da ich fast das ganze Buch durchgrinsen und an einigen Stellen wirklich lachen musste hat es sich doch den 5 Stern gesichert.
Slapstick-Einlagen kamen nicht zu kurz aber so gut platziert das sie einen wirklich amüsiert haben.
Frederick war ein, für mich persönlich, sehr guter Hauptcharakter (den ich mir eigentlich nur mit Facepalm vorstellen k
Vanessa
This was simply a very amusing story about a misunderstanding that leads into a whacky adventure that includes vampires (real and fake ones), a vampire hunter who might be incompetent (or is he?), sudden friendships that will probably hold for life AND the afterlife and corpses. Lots and lots of corpses. Not all of them will stay dead. Mixed in are some pretty famous authors, who all have certain "quirks" and some pretty unique ideas about the undead.
Tanja
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Every october I enjoy reading ghost, vampire, ghouls, or mystery books. I wanted to start a little early this year and I have begun my month of macabre with "a night of blacker darkness". After reading this I will never look at vampires or Jane Austen the same. I laughed through most of the story and thought this quite a clever book and for that it is getting 5 stars. Well done Wells.
Ashley (BooksViaAshley)
It's been four years since I read this book (novella, really), but I wanted to pop back in here and say how utterly delightful and hilarious this story is. You can tell Dan Wells had a ton of fun with this one, and I did too!
Ryan Martinsen
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious little romp.
Mindy
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly funny and spookingly awesome. Dan Wells can do no wrong.
Clare
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book-its humor was right up my alley. I did think the last third of the book fell off a bit from the start, but still thought it was a very fun read.
September
I wish I was more easily amused. I wish I had really laughed through this book. It's no fault of the author, I just don't get a lot of funny.
Sara
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy, horror
What a silly book. I loved it.
Marina
this book is so so so funny!
To be honest, I did not think much about it when I first bought it, the plot sounded interesting and that's it. When I picked it up and started reading it, I immediately realized after the first couple of pages that this book is going to be good. I rarely laughed so much and I had to control myself so much in order not to start laughing in public.
The vampires, the play with words, the characters, the references to some of the most famous authors of especially Gothic
Joshua Marx
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is ridiculous. Wells goes over the top with the satire and mockery. It is too much at times, but it works with the writing style. If you like the classics and more modern popular culture, then I would definitely recommend it.
Sherwin
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Entertaining and witty
Ashley
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A funny story full of entertaining misunderstandings. A little sillier than I would have preferred.
Elisabeth
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun and quick

Not at all scary which is a change for this author. Hilarious almost to the degree of a pratchett novel!
July
Hilarious. And definitively NOT you're typical vampire novel. Highly recommended.
Lindsey Sanders
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Dan Wells in every genre he has written in. This is no exception. It's hilarious and silly and ridiculous.
Michael Mason-D'Croz
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Funny, witty, and worth a read. The story is quite creative and the use of some historical figures was fun.
Kutsua
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful and silly and wonderfully silly. I don't know if Mr. Pratchett managed to read this before he died, but if he did, he must have wish he had written it.
Felitiffy
Etwas verwirrend am Anfang. Aber als ich reingekommen bin musste ich sehr oft schmunzeln. Könnte ich mir sehr gut als Film vorstellen :) ...more
William Munn
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, entertaining, and deadly.

I adore this book. Listened on Audible and the reader does a fantastic job. It's clear that he enjoyed the adventure of Frederick Withers as much as I did. I hadn't even finished before I started a second listen with my wife. If you enjoy a good farce, read immediately.
May 28, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Sarg niemals nie" ist - angeblich - das neuste Buch von Dan Wells, den ich bisher nur durch "Ich bin kein Serienkiller" kannte. Inhaltlich konnte mich das zwar auch nicht überzeugen, aber zumindest den Erzählstil fand ich damals noch ansprechend. Trotz der äußeren Gestaltung des Buches, das nicht nur im Cover der John-Cleaver-Reihe ähnelt, sondern wie diese ebenfalls den recht auffälligen "Rough Cut" des Buchschnitts aufweist, habe ich den Dan Wells, den ich kannte, in diesem Buch nicht wiederg ...more
logankstewart
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
"Do you ever wonder," said John idly, "why we call buildings 'buildings?' Are they in a state of constant construction? We should call them 'builts.'"

---
"Not like that," said John. "More tuneless, almost melancholy--like the whisper of a dying candle."
"I think it's safe to say that no one in this room knows what you're talking about."

A Night of Blacker Darkness, being the memoir of Frederick Whithers, is exactly what the subtitle says it is: a memoir. Who, you may ask, is Frederick Whithers? Mr
Wendy Jensen
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I gave it 3 stars as it is a well written fun romp even though for me it was just OK. This genre is just not my cup of tea. That said, for those who would enjoy a mix of mystery, horror, slapstick, and fantasy, "A Night of Blacker Darkness" definitely delivers.

Dan Wells succeeded in writing the ghoulish and yet zany "memoir" of Fredrick Withers who is caught up in the misfortune of being seen leaving a casket in which he was placed when he feigned death to make a prison break. The resulting mani
Angela
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Frederick Withers has forged some pretty amazing documents to will over an heirless bachelor’s fortune to himself. Unfortunately, Frederick is imprisoned for forging some practice documents and is unable to collect the inheritance from prison. Taking a page from the Count of Monte Cristo, Fredrick fakes his death and is carried out with the corpses. Everything seems to be going fine until he crawls out of his open grave and is mistaken by a group of vampires as their long-awaited “Great One.” Wi ...more
  • Vodník
  • A Girl Corrupted by the Internet is the Summoned Hero?!
  • Kiss Me Twice
  • Rearview Mirror
  • No Angel (No Angel, #1)
  • Miss Delacourt Has Her Day (Miss Delacourt #2)
  • Never Bet the Devil Your Head
  • The Teraport Wars (Schlock Mercenary, #2)
  • The Pharaoh's Daughter (Isabelle Webb, #2)
  • A Tall Tail
  • Unforgettable
  • The Trap
  • If I Should Die
  • Count Down to Love
Dan Wells is a thriller and science fiction writer. Born in Utah, he spent his early years reading and writing. He is he author of the Partials series (Partials, Isolation, Fragments, and Ruins), the John Cleaver series (I Am Not a Serial Killer, Mr. Monster, and I Don't Want To Kill You), and a few others (The Hollow City, A Night of Blacker Darkness, etc). He was a Campbell nomine for best new w ...more

Frederick Whithers (2 books)
  • A Pear-Shaped Funeral: Being the Second memoir of Frederick Whithers as edited by Cecil G. Bagsworth III