Start by marking “Blueberry Truth” as Want to Read:
Blueberry Truth

Blueberry Truth

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Beanie MacKenzie and her husband Mac have led perfect lives, with perfect families and perfect jobs they both love, he a leading cardiologist, she a teacher at a school for troubled children. Now they have the perfect home, a big house on a quiet Albany street, just perfect for raising a big family. Only the babies they’ve been trying so hard to conceive just won’t come.

St
ebook
Published August 6th 2011 by Etopia Press (first published August 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Blueberry Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blueberry Truth

Katherine Owen
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Blueberry Truth by Ute Carbone is one of those novels that may well stay with readers for a long time. Carbone’s ability to create believable characters that readers will care about and practically fall in love is first rate. From the first page, readers are drawn into Verbena “Beanie” Mackenzie’s whirlwind perfect life: Beanie is the do-good teacher working with special needs kids at St. Luke’s and her husband Mac is the gifted pediatric cardiologist. Where, at first, it would seem to be cliché ...more
Susan Roebuck
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This surely will be a success - it has all the ingredients. The main character, Beanie, is the kind of woman most readers would want for their best-friend. She's not perfect but she's brave, determined and just down-right good (even if she does have trouble with her sisters - but who doesn't?). And her husband is every woman's dream: a dedicated doctor, he's no push-over and he's determined to stand his ground but willing to admit he's wrong if proven so. And he dearly loves his wife. What a del ...more
Cait S
May 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

So let's just get this out of the way first: This story is front to back one long cliche. It's been done a thousand times, there are less than no surprises or twists, there's really nothing unique to this story that isn't included in every "woman desperately wants a baby and takes in an orphan" book out there.

But somehow it still works. It's cute, it's very sweet, it moves fast. I never really came to connect or care about any of the characters, and yet... It worked for me.

I honestly d
Ute Carbone
Aug 07, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
I taught in a school much like the one where Beanie works. It was a life changing experience and,like most life changing experiences, teaching children who had been abused or neglected was fraught with challenges. It was also rewarding. Like Beanie, I love Blue and children like her. I love her resistance, her toughness. At seven, she's already a survivor.
Beanie talks in the book about quiet heroes, the regular people who make a big difference to others. Beanie, although she'd never admit it, i
Laura Mcquillen
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This inspirational little gem is written in the tradition of great stories like My Posse Don't Do Homework (the book that inspired the movie Dangerous Minds) and The Freedom Writers Diary, without the same level of violence. This book left me feeling inspired to go out into the world and do something good....something that matters or that makes a difference. It is one of those feel-good stories that will leave you feeling good for a while after reading it.

The characters are so real, they will s
Lynn
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, kindle
I really enjoyed this book. It is about daring to have hope, having it ripped from your hands and your heart, but continuing to hope in spite of it all. It left me wanting to know more. I suppose that is one of the marks of a good book.

A word of caution...If I had a dollar for every time someone dropped an F-bomb, I could take myself a nice vacation. Most books that I read, I feel like this kind of language doesn't add anything to the story. However, in this case you have a 7 year old girl who h
Ute Carbone
Mar 02, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women-s-fiction
Beanie is the teacher and person anyone, me included, can aspire to be. She talks in the book about quiet heroes, the regular people who make
Catherine Cavendish
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely book. Blueberry Truth is a wayward girl from a broken and horrifying background. She has learned from being an infant that the best defence is attack. Then she meets Beanie - a woman who is going through her own crisis. The two of them need each other, even though they may not realise it. I loved the pace, warmth and development of this story. It grabbed me and then refused to let go. Even if you don't normally read this genre (as I rarely do), I heartily recommend it to you.
Sue Swift
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved, loved, loved this book. Beanie, a special ed teacher, is surrounded by kids all day but, ironically, can't seem to conceive. The tension between her and her husband over this issue is beautifully portrayed along with Beanie's inner pain. When she meets a mouthy, rebellious student who seems determined to ensure that no one ever loves her, well...let's say that love blooms in the most unlikely places and between the most unlikely people.
Lauren King
I read this in no time, which was a little disappointing because the story ended well before I was ready. I enjoyed the story immensely but felt that the skipping chunks of time left the story a little lacking.
Karen
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One who lives in Albany will call the university SUNY not U of Albany. It's Pine Hills not Pine Hill. Aside from certain details, I loved the writing and the story.
Rebecca
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved everything about this story...the style, characters, honesty and the reality of the message. If only the world were full of Beanies.
Debra
Feb 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Quick read, a little cliche but enjoyable.
Hillary
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
absolutely LOVED this book! The characters were so well developed and loveable! The conflict made my heart hurt and the resolution made me feel so happy and fulfilled myself!
Zan Marie Steadham
This is a sweet story about hard truth. Add a great main character and you have a good read with genuine heart.
Diane Breton
  • Outlawed Hope
  • Sherry Goes Sane: Living a Life with Schizo-Affective Disorder
  • Max and Menna
  • Joshua's Folly
  • The Arrival (Galveston: 1900: Indignities #1)
  • Jo Joe
  • Daisy
  • Love Me Anyway
  • Desperado's Wife
  • Follow Her Home (Juniper Song, #1)
  • If I Only Knew...
  • Twilite a Parody
Award winning author Ute Carbone pronounces her first name Oohtah, but doesn't spell it that way. She lives with her husband in Southern NH, where she spends her days drinking coffee, eating chocolate, walking in the woods, and dreaming up stories.

There's been a long list of things I've wanted to be. Some of them were fanciful- ballerina, trapeze artist, world class ski racer. Some more serious-d
More about Ute Carbone

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Birth House
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Open City
    $12.99 $1.99
“Sometimes you have to work hard for what you want. Sometimes, hard work is what makes it precious.” 3 likes
“How do I begin to explain? It’s because. Because I feel responsible. Because she’s a little girl with big green eyes that blink too often when she gets excited. Because she has this big dream about Florida, where she thinks she’ll find her mother, like the whole state is Disney World, nothing but palm trees and happiness. Because she misses her mother with a longing as big as the state. Because I’ve been blessed to have so much love in my life.” 1 likes