Start by marking “The Red Thread” as Want to Read:
The Red Thread

The Red Thread

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  148 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
How do you avenge -- or forgive -- your own murder four hundred years after it happened?

Prompted by recurrent dreams, sixteen-year-old Dana Landgrave uncovers an ancient crime that has drawn the same souls together through three lifetimes.

There's nothing sinister about the girl's sunlit twenty-first-century American life in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Yet, centuries ago
Published March 6th 2007 by Atheneum/Richard Jackson Books

To ask other readers questions about The Red Thread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Thread

Marianne Robin-Tani
Apr 12, 2015 rated it liked it
The story was interesting enough--a whodunit throughout time in different reincarnations-- but the writing and writing style really wasn't very good.
Claire
May 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
This must be about the weirdest books I have ever read in my life, but I liked it. Her second life was my personal favorite to read about and was sad that there wasn't very much on it, but it really made me think about who I could have been and what I could have been like if there are such things as previous incarnations.
Alex
Oct 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
The book had promise or at least it sounded interesting from the back flap but ended up disappointed.
Maybe it was just the writing style and how the story unfolded, it didn't flow naturally to me and things were half explained or perhaps thrown in just for dramatic thought, even the main character didn't feel well-rounded or even real. She was very flip-floppy and not overly considerate of other people, other than herself I mean.

But this is my opinion and I hope others might enjoy it where I di
Heather
Jul 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Synopsis:
Dana Langrave is a troubled teen who is having recurring, terrifying nightmares. Under the care of a psychologist, she is hypnotized repeatedly to reveal that she has had at least 2 past lives. Startlingly, the same souls keep popping up through these 3 lives and are out to finish some unfinished business. The question is, who’s the bad guy? Could it be Dana herself?

____________

Ok so a little disclaimer to put my 3-star review (Goodreads) in perspective because really it’s more like a
TheKBSeries
May 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all modern YA, well-thought-out plot fans
Shelves: favorite-books
i read this book i one day. i flew through it. i thought it was one of the most different plots i've ever read. WARNING!!! This book is a real page turner!! My mother even read it and thought it was good.

I found this book at Barnes and Noble one day. I was just looking at books and stumbled upon The Red Thread. It just came out within the last day or two so i caught it brand new to the world. I was so interested in that i bought it and read it. I loved it so much i emailed the author. I told him
Eden
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dana is having recurring dreams, dreams of someone, of something happening and she just can't shake it. But with the help of her psychotherapist, Dr. Sprague, Dana begins to unravel why she is having these dreams. They are from the past, not her childhood, but another lifetime.

I thought the book started out slow and wasn't enjoying it too much at first. However, I kept reading and it most definitely gets better the further you read. The story is quite interesting. It is about Dana, who is sixtee
Julie,
Apr 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
Ugh. Horrible book. I was so excited to start it, because I thought the story was a great concept... but WOW. It was like 5 bazillion stories all tossed in my Ninja blender and thrown together at random. There was no discernible POV in any of the chapters, and the author spent a great deal of time TELLING the story instead of SHOWING. I had to flip through several useless pages at a time, because--thank you very much--I don't care how she got dressed, ate breakfast, went to the park, and AFTER a ...more
Erin
Aug 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
I didn't know if I would like this book when I first started reading but to my surprise I liked it quite a bit. It's not a very fast pased book but the flow of the story kept my interest. I was curious as to how the author would incorporate all the past lives into the present day story and have it all make sense but he did and in my opinion he did a good job, it worked for me. There's also a cute little love story mixed in that I really enjoyed, for those who like that sort of thing in their boo ...more
Sanika Bhargaw
Jun 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is really cool. I thought it was a really interesting idea.
The main character is a sixteen-year-old girl named Dana. She keeps having these weird dreams about a little boy she thinks she knows.
She goes to a therapist to help her figure out why she's getting these dreams. And then she finds out that she has at least two past lives and she can remember them through hypnotism! She finds out that people from her current life have been in her past life too.
Basically, it's a mystery. It's re
Holly
Nov 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mystery fans, History fans
I read The Red Thread in about four hours. It's such an easy, enticing read. It's so gripping, I didn't even realize that i hadn't put it down until about two hours into it. The characters were very real, the ones from the present AND the past. I did feel bad for Dana at parts, but that only means I was really into the story.

The Red Thread is a mystery, a romance, and a historical novel all mixed in one. It's a combination of nearly every book I can't put down and I was doomed from page one. I w
Ariana
Lncropper
Aug 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
I read this for a book club. I liked the idea of it, which tells the story of mothers in China who gave up their baby daughters and those in the U.S. who received them. However, there was too much sex in it for me! In the group of adoptive members, one mother and one father (not, obviously, part of the same couple) wind up sleeping together. Honestly!

I started "The Knitting Circle" by the same author, hoping it might be better, and abandoned it after 25 pages.
Angela
Feb 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I'd recommend this book for teens and tweens that are sophisticated enough to know (or learn) about Calvinism and the persecution of Catholic priests in the 16th century. The reincarnation plot is an interesting idea for a mystery and it has a little romance as well as the usual teen angst sub-plots. It is set in Portsmouth, NH but it doesn't tie in much with the story--which I was a little disappointed about.
Katie
Jun 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
so i couldn't procrastinate any longer...finally sat down and read this book in one day...wow, was it a good one! a murder mystery that unfolds over three different generations, it is set in 1500 and 1700's London as well as modern day Portsmouth...three great stories that are woven together beautifully!
Linnae
Aug 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Dana's nightmares are getting worse, so she starts going to a shrink, who is convinced that they are not just dreams, but memories from a past life. Through hypnosis, she explores her past lives, while trying to make sense of her life in the present.

An interesting presentation of Eastern philosophy. I had Jason read it so I could discuss it with someone.
Mar 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I was not impressed with this book, which was really unfortunate, because I had loved one of the author's other books. This book had really creepy elements, and I just couldn't shake those feelings when I was reading it. It wasn't scary movie kind of creepy, where you know it is all fake, but just plain "ugh" scariness. I did not like this book.
Ashley dillon
Apr 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Ashley by: librarian
After i read "Reincarnation", i read this one.
I remember i was staying with my friend Hellen when i read this and she says it was weird how into the book i got.
I completely refused to put the book down and had it with me at all times.
I was sitten in taco bell eating when i finished it and already i had cried a few times from it.
It was a really good book.
Jenny
Oct 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: supernatural, teen
Dana suffers from insomnia, claustrophobia, and dreams of a young boy buried behind an altar. It is getting worse, and only sessions with Dr. Sprague give her hope. Dr. Sprague tries past life regression on her, revealing two past lives, a painter Hannah, trapped by her uncle, forbidden to marry the man she loves, and a Flemish tapestry artist, but is Dana also a murderer?
Ms.
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Sixteen-year-old Dana Landgrave has a recurring nightmare. Her therapist uses hypnosis to help her, and thinks that it may be related to a past life. Lots of connections are revealed between her current and past life, including who her boyfriend was, her brother, and her therapist. A pageturner that will appeal to both girls and boys.
Amy
Apr 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the story as long as I remembered that it's a fantasy despite the realistic setting.
Caitlinleah
Feb 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-o-week
enjoyable. teen's first novel about past life regression. not very encuraging about mental health problems.
Kat
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
it was so fast-paced and interesting that i read it all in the span of 3 hours! excellent book that i'd recommend to anyone
Emily Dusicska
Jun 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I found it interesting to learn of her past lives and how it's similar to her current one. It made me wonder if I had any past lives...
Sydney
Feb 14, 2011 rated it liked it
This book had an interusting plot but is deffinently not my favorite
T.M. Carper
Suspenseful and full of twists. It's a mix of a historical read with a modern day mystery and is aimed at teens. A very quick read despite being 200+ pages.
Lesley
Sep 25, 2009 rated it liked it
I liked this more than I expected to. Interesting YA book suspensefully told. Great to have the Portsmouth seetting!
Monique
Sep 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
Man, a lot of people liked this one, but I could not figure out how it all went together! It felt so disjointed, random, and hectic. It seemed like three different stories thrown in a blender.
Shauna
Sep 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
A mystery about a girl who discovers that her nightmares aren't just dreams, but memories of her past lives. It was suspenseful and kept me guessing.
Amy
Jun 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
A nice paranormal mystery for teens with a NH connection.
Debye
Jun 07, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Losing Forever
  • Auschwitz
  • The Wild Girls
  • Once On This Island (Mackinac Island Trilogy, #1)
  • A Girl Named Mister
  • How It's Done
  • Lake People
  • Touching Snow
  • The Major's Daughter
  • Tender
  • The Last Domino
  • The Happy Hollisters (Happy Hollisters, #1)
  • Return to Daemon Hall: Evil Roots
  • Cures for Heartbreak
  • Once Upon a Pirate
  • The Headless Horseman Rides Tonight: More Poems to Trouble Your Sleep
  • Return to Skunk Corners (The Ninja Librarian, #2)
  • Undercover

Young Adult Deals

• Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Silent Harmony (Fairmont Riding Academy, #1)
  • You Are Not Small
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt (Atlanta Burns, #2)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Atlanta Burns (Atlanta Burns #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
  • If I Ever Get Out of Here
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
  • Stop Pretending: Poems About When My Big Sister Went Craz
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
  • Invisible Emmie
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
  • Grit
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Eagle Tree
  • Wild Swans
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After, #10.5)
    $10.99 $1.99