Start by marking “Vampire in Denial (Family Blood Ties, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vampire in Denial (Family Blood Ties, #1)

Vampire in Denial (Family Blood Ties #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  1,341 Ratings  ·  141 Reviews
Like being a sixteen-year-old vampire isn't hard enough, Tessa's throwback human genes make her an outcast among her relatives. But try as she might, she can't get a handle on the vampire lifestyle and all the...blood.

Turning her back on the vamp world, she embraces the human teenage lifestyle—high school, peer pressure and finding a boyfriend. Jared manages to stir someth
Published August 1st 2011 by Valley Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Vampire in Denial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampire in Denial

Candace
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Tessa believes herself to be half human and half vampire. She has the ability to switch her sight between human eye sight and vampire eye sight. This allows her to see energy patterns, which comes in handy when her friend, Jared, is kidnapped. Tessa also uses this ability to find her missing friends and family. The question is, why are human beings being kidnapped by vampires? Can Tessa save Jared?

This YA novel is the first book in the series. While we get to know sixteen year old Tessa, we also
heather
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ms. Mayer had sent me an email asking if I would like to review her work. I took a look at it and thought what the heck, what do I have to lose? As soon as I received the ecopy, I started reading. I have a bad habit of reading the first chapter of books to see if I get hooked or not. Of course, this one hooked me and I had to keep reading til the end.

I love vampire stories! I can never get tired of them and yes! (call me a dork!) I LOVE Twilight! So, as soon as I start reading anything with a va
Lo-ruhama
Jun 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I got this book as a free kindle download from Amazon. I liked the premise as I am a pretty avid reader of urban fantasy/paranormal romance and various other subgenres of that sort. Basically, if there is a vampire or a werewolf involved I'm generally down to read it (witches aren't really my thing though, strangely enough), but I digress.

The elements I enjoyed in the story: (1)the characters: the outcast out to prove herself and save her friends, the charming and helpful yet occasionally condes
Lisa Lap
This book clocks in a 125 pages in PDF format, and I was really looking forward to the premise of this story. The main plot twist, while a bit of a déjà vu idea, had enough intrigue to be interesting. Vampire and humans are living side by side in a somewhat harmonious existence finding a way to all get along and respect each other. Or so it appears on the surface. Tessa, our main character, experiences a more sinister side to the vampire civilization while she’s on a group date with her human fr ...more
Cat
Jun 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-freebie
I liked the idea behind this book - a child born to vampire parents, with human genes. Huh.

Understandably, she's caught between the two groups and doesn't really feel like "part" of either. What confuses me though, is that even after almost 17 years, she hasn't voiced any of her feelings or concerns to her family - not even the brother she's closest to. Then she acts all surprised when they finally find out she feels different from them. I guess that's typical teenaged behavior, or even girl beh
Aine Massie
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Vampire in Denial by Dale Mayer is a fresh take on a beloved classic – the vampire. Her vampire heroine, Tessa, is actually half-human thanks to some genetic fluke that only happens every so many generations. She’s also a teen. . . Can you not already see the potential for not fitting in? She’s not really a vampire, per se, and so the vamps shun her. She’s not really a human either.

Sadly, or not depending on how you see it, one of Tessa’s human friends is kidnapped. She, of course, wants to resc
Vicki
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh my gosh! I was not expecting a cliff hanger that was so much over the edge! Ugh!! I literally have to go get book 2 NOW!! I am hooked.

Tessa is half vampire/half human and she has a human friend named Jared who gets (view spoiler) However, no one was expecting to find what they did: (view spoiler)

I loved the loyal friend that Tessa is and how she truly cares about
Dee
Jul 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
You get what you pay for I suppose. I got this book for free and I liked the premise and description but after getting about three chapters in, I wanted nothing more than to hurry up and finish this book, it was just that bad. This book is full of typos, poor grammar, odd phrasing and sentence structure. And worst of all characterization was just nil. Tessa goes from being weak and awkward to "Wonder Woman" in a matter of hours for no clear reason. Her mother frets over her constantly in the mos ...more
Mackenzie
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is about a girl named Tessa. You may just think she is a regular vampire, but you are wrong Tessa is half human half vampire. And with living with a vampire family she often feels like she doesn't belong. One day she gose to the movies with her friends and one of them gets kidnapped by a vampire. You have to read the book to find out more.
To me this book was one of those stories where your wondering whats going to happen next. For me it was pretty epic. I think Tessa was really deter
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it
I thought this book was petty strong. I read t as part of a bundle and have to admit that I wasn't really excited about this one after reading the blurb. However, I got into it right away and finished it pretty quickly. I liked Tessa's character overall, as a teenager who is kind of an outcast (especially in her own mind) she is pretty relatable. My biggest issue was with the second half of the book. I thought that things moved a little too quickly and it was kind of hard to follow where everyon ...more
Jessica
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully written paranormal book - a great intro to the series, with a fabulous cliffhanger ending!
I enjoyed the fact that it was a vampire book without all the sexual stuff that is often in a lot of vampire books. I may have to check out the rest of the series to see if they are as good as this one.
I flew through this one fairly quickly, and found myself unsure of what would happen next, as it was written very well.
Nidofito
An interesting take on the vampire world. But these tame vampires who scrunched up their noses at the mention of human blood and acted more like upper class socialites held little appeal to me. The book also required a good bit of editing and some solid proof reading which was a constant annoyance.
Olivia
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Very short book, more like a novella. I'm surprised the author didn't combine with the next book. Starts out well. I was interested and devouring the story at a fast pace. It could have used a little more backstory and world building. The action doesn't build so much as stay steady. The novel suddenly ends without a resolution or conclusion.
Mary Kintz
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Could not put it down!

I read this straight through today, and almost lost my phone in the tub. This was a great book, and I was very impressed with the character development. The world created was easy to be drawn into, and the issues were relatable to one's we deal with currently in our society. I loved this, I highly recommend it!
Christian Nikitas
This was a good interesting vampire book. I think that the editing could have been better as there were a few mistakes, but otherwise the story was not bad. I would recommend it as a good filler book if you are a fan of paranormal romance novels.
Elizabeth
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I like the book but hate cliffhangers like this one had. There were too many hidden doors and secret passages!
Linda Sizemore
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book!!! I wanna buy it!!!
Lady Entropy
Feb 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF
Richard Forbes
Jun 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
The Family Blood Ties Series (I stopped after the first 5 books) is so bitterly disappointing.
A very good concept was turned into rubbish by an inept writing style and unbelievable story scenarios.
Mistake #1 - Many authors successfully narrate two and sometimes more characters in parallel time lines, however, Dale Mayer attempts 5 or 6 (or is it more???) parallel character story arcs at the same time and the resultant story is nothing more than a frustrating mess.
Mistake #2 - The main protagonis
Gmr
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Tessa’s voice in the synopsis simply spoke to me. I could hear her slightly snarky attitude right from the start and the concept of her being an outcast among her “kind” due to “human genes”, begged to be explored. It seems that her “condition” is rather rare, especially coming from a pure blood line and yet, here she is in all her vampire-human glory. It lends several interesting talents to her full arsenal like being able to see normally (human) and enhanced (vampire)…and maybe even something ...more
Rea Cobb
Aug 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Well you all know I love my chick lit books but I am a secret Young Adult fiction fan. After reading so many Chick Lit books recently I needed a little change so I decided to try Vampire in Denial by Dale Mayer. This is the first book in the Blood Ties series. When I read up on the author I was surprised at the range of books that she has wrote from Young adult to romance and even Non-fiction.

Plot
Blood doesn't just make her who she is...it also makes her what she is.

Like being a sixteen-year-old
Jamie Kline
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-review
I chose not to read the full synopsis before diving into this one, because I didn't want to ruin anything for myself. Based on the title alone, I thought it would just be about a teenage vampire who would rather be human. I was way off! It's even better!

The main character, Tessa, is 16 years old and a member of a powerful vampire family, but she also has a lot of human characteristics that separate her from her mom, dad, and brothers. This causes her family to severely miscalculate her abilities
Andrea
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
[This review also appears on Andi's Young Adult Books.]

Tessa is part-human, thanks to some weird genetic anomaly that occasionally pops up every few hundred generations or so. She has never been truly accepted by either side, but feels closer to other humans than to other vampires. It seems pretty typical of being a teenager. Many times, you aren't comfortably in your own skin and have to try on different people to find your place.

When her human friend is kidnapped by some rogue vampires, Tessa
MiMi
This book was recommended to me and it was free on my nook so I thought why not? And this book was pretty okay as well. I do not regret reading it.

The plot:
This plot is a combination of Twilight and Moon Spell (Tale of Lunarmorte series). Twilight I love and Tale of Lunarmorte is okay so this was okay as well. Although the whole book is the climax. The action literally starts at page 20. I liked that.

The characters:
Tessa: a combination of Bella and Caia with even some qualities of Edward. Shes
Rebecca Graf
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
What if you were born into a vampire family but really wasn’t a vampire? Being a teenager on top of it makes it even worse. Tessa feels more at home with human friends, yet one night hanging out with a few of them at a movie has Tessa blending back in with her own kind. She has to in order to save the life of one human friend. It will take all her courage and determination to stand up against the vampire counsel and her family as she discovers long buried secrets within the dark world and within ...more
Cherri-Anne
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was absolutely mesmerized from the very beginning! This series is very different from any other vampire series that I have read. And all in a good way! It starts off with Tessa feeling very different than the rest of her family. Her parents and 2 brothers are all "perfect" vampires, whereas Tessa has some human genes & traits and no one knows why. Tessa feels that she doesn't fit in with either world - human or vampire - and goes on an accidental adventure and along with doing a lot of goo ...more
Marsha
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's not easy to find a new take on the vampire myth yet Dale Mayer has managed to do so with "Vampire in Denial." being a teenager in any species is hard enough but it becomes even more complicated when you are born to vampire parents and you are a weird anomaly making you more human than vamp.

Tessa doesn't feel as though she fits in anywhere. She is not quite human nor is she vampire enough. However, there is one thing normal about her, she has a crush on Jared, a boy from her school. When Tes
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Let me start off by screaming: AAAHHHH! Cliffhanger!

Now that I have that done, on with the review. I really liked the story, although the cliffhanger ending is killer. Extreme action suspense. So just be warned, you will want the second book right away.

This story has a unique twist on vampires. Tessa is only half-vampire, with a lot of her human genes being very apparent, making her stand out from her vampire family. Due to this, she really feels like an outsider with everyone. She’s very unsure
Kelly
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Oh, book! You were so FUN! I was getting all tense and worried about how poor Tessa was going to prove herself and it was exciting and I desperately wanted her to realize that her tangled up feelings about a certain someone were not all brotherly. But, but...why did you leave me hanging on such a cliffhanger?!?! I MUST KNOW what's going to happen to her!

In most ways, Tessa is an average teenage girl. Her parents don't really understand her, she feels like she's caught between two worlds and she'
Brenda Demko
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I recommend that you do yourself a favor and buy the next book Vampire in Distress at the same time. The way the it ends, you will want to start the next one right away. I know I did!

Dale Mayer has taken vampires and made them her own. This is the first book in a YA vampire series that is fantastic.

Tessa has issues. She is the daughter of two full blooded vampires and her brothers are both full blooded but she is not. She doesn't feel that she fits in with her own family and that's sad. She has
  • The Nightlife: San Antonio (The Nightlife, #5)
  • Reveal (Cryptid Chronicles, #1)
  • Bound to Darkness (The Turning Series, #1)
  • Bad Blood
  • My Blood Runs Blue
  • Seventh Mark - Part 1 (Hidden Secrets, #1.1)
  • Fish Out Of Water
  • Witch Way Bends (Bend-Bite-Shift Trilogy, #1)
  • Dark Matter Heart (Cor Griffin Bloodsuckers, #1)
  • Vampire Love Story (Vampire Love Story, #1)
  • Blood Like Poison: The Trilogy (Blood Like Poison, #1-3)
  • The Vampire Wardens and Werewolf Society 5 Story Box Set
  • Blood Type (Blood Type, #1)
  • Unholy Alliance (Unholy Alliance #1)
  • Agartha's Castaway (Trapped in the Hollow Earth, #1)
  • Blood Calling (Blood Calling, #1)
  • Breathless (The Blue Fire Saga, #1)
  • Keeper, part 1 (Hidden Bloodlines #1)
Dale Mayer is a USA Today bestselling author best known for her Psychic Visions and Family Blood Ties series. Her contemporary romances are raw and full of passion and emotion (Second Chances, SKIN), her thrillers will keep you guessing (By Death series), and her romantic comedies will keep you giggling (It's a Dog's Life and Charmin Marvin Romantic Comedy series).

She honors the stories that come
More about Dale Mayer

Family Blood Ties (10 books)
  • Vampire in Distress (Family Blood Ties, #2)
  • Vampire in Design (Family Blood Ties, #3)
  • Vampire in Deceit (Family Blood Ties, #4)
  • Vampire in Defiance (Family Blood Ties, #5)
  • Vampire in Conflict (Family Blood Ties, #6)
  • Vampire in Chaos (Family Blood Ties, #7)
  • Vampire in Crisis (Family Blood Ties, #8)
  • Vampire in Control (Family Blood Ties, #9)
  • Vampire in Charge (Family Blood Ties #10)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)