Start by marking “Excelsior!: The Amazing Life of Stan Lee” as Want to Read:
Excelsior!: The Amazing Life of Stan Lee

Excelsior!: The Amazing Life of Stan Lee

The man behind Spider-Man, The X-Men, The Incredible Hulk, and a legion of other superheroes tells his own amazing story in a book packed with punch, humor, anecdotes, and a gallery of never-before-seen photographs.

Stan Lee is the most legendary name in the history of comicbooks. The leading creative force behind the rise of Marvel Comics, he brought to life some of the

Published May 7th 2002 by Atria Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Excelsior!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Excelsior!

Start your review of Excelsior!: The Amazing Life of Stan Lee
Shelby
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars!
I was recommend book by one of my goodreads friends. I thought I would give it a try since I have bee reading comic books lately. Let me tell you that this was really good. I really enjoyed the art, the story line, characters. Pretty much I loved everything about this book. I am glad that I was recommend this book. I would read this again. I would recommend this book to anyone that likes to read comic books.
Zorro
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Days and life of a legend!

He is the man. Stan "the Man" Lee.
Father of Spider-man and co-cretor of hundred of characters like Hulk, Daredevil, Captain America and many more.
And he is still alive. He is among us.
Thanks for everything Stan.
Imogen Worrall
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book and also very funny
Andrew
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Only read if you've loved the really corny humor found in Stan's Soapbox.
Kris Ashton
Jan 16, 2014 rated it liked it
When I think about my influences as a writer/journalist, the names that come to mind include Stephen King, John O'Grady, James Herriot, John Wyndham and Hunter S. Thompson. But about halfway through Excelsior!, I realised there was another man who shaped the way I wrote - and the course I took in life - as much as any of those aforementioned. His name was Stan Lee, and Excelsior! is his autobiography (or "bio-autography" as he calls it, which we'll get to in due course).

One of my earliest memori
Austin E
This book is about Stan Lee, who created a lot of Marvel characters. It is about how he got to be so famous and how he got started with Marvel. In this book Stan talks about when he was a teenager and when he was an adult. It is also about how his Superheroes that he created came to be. Stan also talks about Marvel before it was called Marvel.
One thing that happens in this book is that Stan starts his career in comic books. He decided to go to the military but, instead of fighting, they told h
Ewk_rd1
This was a fun read. Half biographical, half autobiographical. A behind-the-scenes look at shit I loved to read as a kid ( and still enjoy). Lee's self-deprecating humor is a constant thread. Makes you wish you could sit and have a beer with him. His simple, positive outlook on doing what he loved most resonated and rattled in the back of my mind as just plain good advice. He has a keen eye for persuasive communication. Something I totally respect. Bet he's knocking a few back with Capt. Marvel ...more
Jeff Wetherington
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Christmas 2018 gift from my wife. Loved reading about the life of the late Stan Lee, who passed away recently and whose comics I had been reading since I was a boy.
Thomas Amaria
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not the most detailed of memoirs, but certainly one of the funniest. Written very much in the style of Stan's Soapbox, this is full of out-loud laughs. Thoroughly enjoyable!
Nick
Feb 05, 2017 added it
Haven't you always wanted to know what the man behind Spider-Man, the fantastic four and other marvel heroes he made. In the book you will know how he created them. Stan lee a New Yorker when he was about 18 or 19 he joined a comic company called Timely comics. Timely comics is a comic book company that were famous for their top superheroes Captain America and the human torch the guy who owned the company was Martin Goodman he was Stan's boss and Stan had a good time but he decided to join the a ...more
Charles
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As the superhero genre is now a dominant theme of the movies for the big screen, it is time to give the credit where it is due. In the late fifties and very early sixties, comic books were popular, yet so much of what appeared was repeated and recycled with only slight alterations. It was time for a change and Stan Lee was the driving force behind a large set of new characters that are the subject of many popular and profitable movies.
Decades after the time of their creation, there is still s
Patrick
Mar 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
Written with the same corny humor and hyperbolic style as he used to do "Stan's Soapbox" in the old comics, Lee's autobiography is a fun look at his poor youth in New York, his time in the army writing training manuals for things he'd never done, working as a go-for at the publishing company that would become Marvel, becoming the "editor by default," and then the golden age of comics and everything after.

The best parts are the middle chapters dealing with the inspirations/origins for all the cha
Kevin Ibanez
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Personally, the man is one of my heros. What impressed me was his undying work ethic. The man never stopped working. Apparently he would write for hours on end, and to improve his writing, he would act it out to make it more natural. He carried this over into his chief editing days and I believe it is what helped create marvel as a success.

I also loved seeing where all of the heroes came from. I didn't know that Stan Lee didn't create Captain America, that the Fantastic Four c
Robert Federline
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Anyone who ever read Spiderman, Fantastic Four, the Avengers, X-Men, or numerous other Marvel comic books is familiar with the name of Stan Lee. He made comic books acceptable and not shameful. He took them to a level where their artists and authors are deemed worthy of respect. They are the hottest items in Hollywood currently (although this was still building at the time this book was written).

This is a fun read about an iconic figure in entertainment. He is, to most fans, the actual heart of
Torrey Klett
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excelsior! is the charming result of what would happen if you sat your quirky grandfather down for a cup of tea and asked him about his entire life, if your grandfather was Stan Lee. Imagine also that there is a biographer at the table with you as well, who keeps the chronology organized and interjects the important context you need for your grandfather’s punchline to make sense. It feels like a stream of consciousness conversation with a naturally funny and clearly skilled if immodest (but dese ...more
Ben Truong
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excelsior!: The Amazing Life of Stan Lee is an autobiography written by Stan Lee and George Mair. This memoir is an account of his life from his childhood struggles to the comic book luminary he became and the force behind Marvel Comics.

Stan Lee (born Stanley Martin Lieber) was an American comic book writer, editor, and publisher who was active from the 1940s to the 2010s. He rose through the ranks of a family-run business to become Marvel Comics' primary creative leader for two decades, leading
Eric Nierstedt
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'd seen this book around for a long time and finally got to it after the man passed away. Right away, the tone of the book is perfect. Stan Lee basically reminisced about his life while another writer steered through the details, and the result is great. You hear Stan's voice in every word and phrase, and he goes over every aspect of his life. It's refreshing to hear his humor and positive attitude coming through, especially as he goes over rough patches like the loss of his second daughter and ...more
Briana
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Forget whatever you thought about Marvel, about superhero's, about the creation and Stan Lee.

This man is a genius.

He's a mastermind.

He's....simply amazing. Read this book and you'll know just what I mean.

To Stan 'the Man' Lee.

Thank you for sharing your talents with us.

And tell Joanie, thank you too, because without her stand beside you we may not have been on the receiving end of the glory that is Marvel....at least not in the same way we have it now.

Excelsior!
Hrushikesh Ayre
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think it was possible to love Stan Lee more than I already did, but this book made it possible. Obviously if you are expecting a stirring life with ups and downs, this is not a book for you. But its the story of a man who made Marvel what it is now. The book is very simple to read, just like his comic books. Filled with optimism and positive attitude towards your life and work, this book definitely helped me get over some mental block I had regarding my job.
Apryl McLean
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I liked his voice coming through in the story of his life as a writer and creator of super heros. I liked getting a feel for the years he lived through. My husband has shared his love of Marvel with our whole family so when I read about the creation of Spider Man I cried and shared it with my daughter and she cried too. It's a great book and one I'd recommend to anyone who likes Marvel.
David
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel tells the story of Stan Lee in the best way possible. It was such a great amazing and different read that fans of Stan Lee will enjoy and love. Give it a read if you're a fan of Marvel, comics or just Stan Lee in general.
Kieron Botting
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Legend. Fun read. Comes across a little lazy with some finer details, in places, but truth be told.. I think it fits all the humorous tones of the man, himself anyways.
Nickie Cleaver
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! Love the Marvel universe and learning how it was created! Super funny, highly recommend to anyone that likes the Marvel movies or comic books!!
Moonis Qureshi
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
F for Stan Lee
George Parker
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun ride with one of America's best entertainers.
Rob Green
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A funny and personal look at Stan the Man...I really didn't know anything about his story, and I'm glad I took the time to appreciate this creative legend. Checked out from Rod Library!
Bruno Cruz
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Entire time reading I heard his voice and how’d he’d express himself. A true legend of the 20th century
Chloe Parker
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Me and the Boyfriend absolutely loved this
Abel
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good read about the life of Stan Lee; shows some hidden things in his life that he went through and the adversity/challenges he faced as an entertainer.
Dean
Mar 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Stan Lee's personality really comes out as you read the portions written by Stan Lee in his own voice, but it is pretty superficial.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
  • Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book!
  • I Can Lick 30 Tigers Today! and Other Stories
  • Oh Say Can You Say?
  • Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now!
  • There's a Wocket in My Pocket!
  • Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose
  • McElligot's Pool
  • And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street
  • If I Ran the Circus
  • If I Ran the Zoo
  • The Butter Battle Book
  • Wacky Wednesday
  • Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?
  • Bartholomew and the Oobleck
  • Scrambled Eggs Super!
  • Ten Apples Up On Top!
  • The King's Stilts
Stan Lee (born Stanley Martin Lieber) was an American writer, editor, creator of comic book superheroes, and the former president and chairman of Marvel Comics.

With several artist co-creators, most notably Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, he co-created Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Daredevil, the Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange, and many other characters, introducing complex