Start by marking “The Celtic Book of Living and Dying: The Illustrated Guide to Celtic Wisdom” as Want to Read:
The Celtic Book of Living and Dying: The Illustrated Guide to Celtic Wisdom

The Celtic Book of Living and Dying: The Illustrated Guide to Celtic Wisdom

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  115 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Poets. Mystics. Prophets and astrologers. The Celts were a dynamic and unique people who left not only a rich legacy of artifacts, archaeological treasures, and dramatic myths, but also a vast body of wisdom and mystical symbolism that reflect universal truths about life. "The Celtic Book of Living and Dying" is a masterfully adorned collection of this ancient Celtic wisdo ...more
Published September 28th 2000 by Chronicle Books (CA) (first published April 11th 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Celtic Book of Living and Dying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Celtic Book of Living and Dying

Victoria Avonlea
Fascinating overview of Celtic folkloric wisdom. Although there was something low-budget (or just amateur) about how some of the pages were put together, it nonetheless contained an attractively colourful array of artwork and photographs, which I enjoyed. My greatest issue was with the use of vague language (detailed below). The author, Juliette Wood, does not cite many sources and one can't be sure where she is getting her information, even if it mostly sounds about right. Some strong editing s ...more
Lizzi Crystal
Dec 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brief yet eloquent tellings of Celtic myths, separated into sections from mysticism to spirituality, to animals and fairies, to heroes and druids. I found it all very interesting, especially the Triads of Knowledge:

The three fountains of knowledge:
Thought;
Intuition;
Learning.

Three kinds of men are there:
Men of God who return good for evil,
Men of this world who give good for good and evil for evil,
And the Devil's men who repay good with evil.

Jody Mena
Aug 02, 2011 added it
Shelves: nonfiction
A great overview of Celtic culture and religion. The arrangement of the information into blocks, and the visual denotation of this particular version, with it's colored pages and rich illustration really added to the experience; it was like reading an illuminated manjuscript and helped put you in the right mindset to absorb the cultural information.
Erica
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great introduction to Celtic wisdom and lore. I read a version with a prettier cover than the one pictured, so I don't know if the illustrations are the same, but I felt the paintings and photos really enhanced this overview of Celtic ideas and legends. Great source material for a writer, I recommend this book. This gives a basic intro, and you can research further.
Echo
Nov 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in celtic mythology
Shelves: irish
One of the things I really like about this book is it's fantastic illustrations. It's full of very nice, very colorful pictures. It's also full of information. If you want an overview of some of the celtic mythology (including Scotland, Wales, Ireland, etc.), then this is a great book for that. If you're looking for something that goes into great detail, you might try another source.
Sheila
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sheila by: Spencer
Great book about living a life guided by Celtic spirituality. I'd recommend this book to anyone of any faith that feels a connection with the peoples of Ancient Britain, whether you claim ancestors among them or not. I have used the I wisdom and lessons in this book in my own life.
NaomiRuth
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: af, old-classic, non-fict
I liked the format of this. It was pretty.

Not the most informative book ever, but for the "coffee table" kind of format, I liked it a lot. And it has a decent Further Reading list in the back.

I'm glad to own this book :)
Julie
beautiful illustrations. great tales.
Andrea
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beautiful book. It is short and not in-depth, but gives a lovely overview of the Celtic world in a clear, concise, and beautiful manner.
Bianca
Apr 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked this. No idea how accurate this actually is, as the mere definition of 'Celts' is a bit of a controversy, I suppose, but spiritually, I liked it. :)
Adam
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Adam by: Arica
Very well-illustrated, fascinating book full of stories and drawings from the ancient and medieval Celts; good for a coffee table.
Esther
Oct 10, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Celtic Way of Seeing: Meditations on the Irish Spirit Wheel
  • The Pagan Mysteries of Halloween: Celebrating the Dark Half of the Year
  • Hekate Liminal Rites - A Study of the Rituals, Magic and Symbols of the Torch-Bearing Triple Goddess of the Crossroads
  • Bonewits's Essential Guide to Druidism
  • The Gods of the Egyptians, Volume 1
  • Druidcraft: The Magic Of Wicca & Druidry
  • The Encyclopaedia of Celtic Wisdom: A Celtic Shaman's Sourcebook
  • The Crone: Woman of Age, Wisdom, and Power
  • The Tree Of Enchantment: Ancient Wisdom and Magic Practices of the Faery Tradition
  • The Apple Branch: A Path to Celtic Ritual
  • The Wind Is My Mother
  • What Witches Do: A Modern Coven Revealed
  • Celtic Traditions: Druids, Faeries, and Wiccan Rituals
  • A Druid's Herbal of Sacred Tree Medicine
  • The Gardnerian Book of Shadows
  • The Isles of the Many Gods: An A-Z of the Pagan Gods & Goddesses Worshipped in Ancient Britain During the First Millenium Ce Through to the Middle
  • The World of the Celts