Start by marking “Hawthorne's Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Hawthorne's Short Stories

Hawthorne's Short Stories

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  1,133 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Twenty-four of Hawthorne's best-known short stories plus many that are virtually unknown to the average reader. Introduction by Professor Newton Arvin of Smith College.
Published May 12th 1955 by Vintage Books (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Hawthorne's Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hawthorne's Short Stories

Simon Crum
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Short stories are truly a lost art. Here is one of my favourite short story collections (the other: "Burning Chrome" by William Gibson, also the Oscar Wilde short stories). My picks...not the dreary puritan stuff but Hawthorne's "the Artist of the Beautiful" A masterpiece! Rappaccini's daughter. Wow. Wonder if this influenced the Grateful Dead's "Rosemary". The Birthmark. Still holds true in today's world of nip and tuck. The Minister's Black Veil...also intriguing. The mystery of it all. The hi ...more
emily
Apr 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes creepy cautionary tales
i'm not actually sure i've read all the stories in here, but i had to put something up to stand for how much i love hawthorne's short fiction. i read the stories mostly one at a time, during a class on american lit in college. i thought i hated american lit, and i was mostly right, but boy was i wrong about hawthorne. :)
Lauren
Jan 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love Hawthorne's short stories, particularly from the perspective of a sci-fi geek. Many of his short stories reach into the realm of proto-sci-fi, complete with strange creatures living inside people and mad scientists.
Laura Lynch
May 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Classic writter-insiteful-really gets under the skin of his characters. I have read this book before but return to it as the stories are multi-layered and lush.
Caleb
Beautiful, lush, dark, and romantic. These stories are nothing short of wonderful.
Bethany Stewart
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I've been struggling with ye olde Nathaniel for quite some time now, but after finally starting this collection of short stories (for the THIRD. TIME) I have to finally admit defeat. He's just not my favorite classic author. While I remain in awe of his ability to weave pictures through the use of his words (and write so eloquently along the way), getting through even this short collection of 24 short stories was a struggle.

This collection holds a few of the classics, such as "The Birthmark", b
Daniel Klawitter
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Truth often finds its way to the mind close muffled in robes of sleep, and then speaks with uncompromising directness of matters in regard to which we practice an unconscious self-deception during our waking moments." ---Nathaniel Hawthorne.
Dan Gorman
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Genius. A marvelous imagination at work.
Judy
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a fan of short stories and these short stories by Nathaniel Hawthorne are some of the best.
James
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kurzgeschichte
Specter and Science:
The tales in this collection include some of the best written by Hawthorne. Among them it is hard to rate one over another, however Rappaccini's Daughter is near the top. A tale of the natural versus the supernatural with overtones of professional jealousy, first love, and the desire for perfection. Perfection as desiderata, but unwillingness to pay the price. There are two scientists in Baglioni and Rappaccini himself. The latter seems to have created a new Eden with his gar
Derek
Jul 17, 2009 rated it liked it
It’s unfortunate that most of the work collected in Hawthorne’s Short Stories fails to live up to the towering achievement that is “Young Goodman Brown,” though many do a commendable job when taken on their own terms. The indelible “Ethan Brand” is fantastic, as is “Egotism; or, The Bosom Serpent,” but there’s an awful lot of filler here, including one too many allegorical attacks on the Transcendentalists.

Hawthorne has a strange way of writing third-person limited narratives. Many begin with a
Kevin Fitzsimmons
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Its ridiculous to review this collection. For God's Sake, its Hawthorne. There is absolutely no question as to whether or not one should read Hawthorne, the question is how many times one should read Hawthorne. One of the bright lights in American Letters, and the one of our finest short story writers. His fiction haunts us with its connection to the past and the examination of the secret (and not so secret) sins all people carry with them. This is a must read.

Arvin is a great editor, and serio
Erin Panjer
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have a newer version with 30 stories and 422 pages.
The stories that aren't absorbing are good. The stories that are, are absolutely masterful
and stunning. He paints with words. He has a deep insight into people, and his preoccupation with good and evil, symbol and what it means to be human- make every tale beautiful and eerie.

The stories which stood out profoundly to me were: The Great Carbuncle, The Prophetic Pictures, Rappaccini's Daughter, The Birthmark, The Celestial Railroad, Feather To
Oswald
Jan 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Veronica Cepellos
Hawthorne's short stories are imaginative. This book definitely inspired me to start writing the short stories that I've had in mind for years already. I skipped only about 3 stories out of 24. If I skipped it, it's because I really couldn't keep reading it due to extreme boredom. However, most of them are extremely compelling in that allegorical way. My favorite stories are The Ministers Black Veil, The Birthmark, Egotism; or, the Bosom Serpent, The Artist of the Beautiful, The Great Stone Face ...more
Terence Manleigh
Call me old-fashioned but I’ve a soft spot for Hawthorne’s tales. Yes, they’re obvious, but there’s an air of Halloween about them that’s hard for me to resist, and compared to Poe, they’re subtlety itself. Gloomy Hawthorne’s ancestor was one of the judges who hanged the Salem witches, and that Puritan daemonism emanates like black light from these spooky Romantic morality tales. Go on, see if they don’t creep you out, just a little bit. Think of it as a guidebook to the dark side of the America ...more
Catherine
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Despite the meager 3 stars that I gave this book, I really did enjoy Mr. Hawthorne's stories. The reason for the low rating is that my enjoyment was more intellectual appreciation than visceral pleasure. I think that in many cases the message that Mr. Hawthorne was attempting to impart got in the way of the story that was to impart it, and sometimes the story even degenerated into a sort of list. That said, I share much of Mr. Hawthorne's outrage and frustration at the state of the world. Not th ...more
Jessica
Sep 17, 2009 rated it liked it
This book of short stories is very good, but like anything written by Hawthorne, the language can be a little tougher to wade through than some of the fiction we choose to read. I think it was definitely better reading a story here or there in between other books than reading all the stories back to back give the reoccurring themes. If I would have read them back to back, I think it would have felt repetitive in terms of the messages/lessons within.
Kristin
Dec 07, 2008 rated it liked it
I know he's a literary classic for a reason however I found very few stories in this large compilation that I remotely enjoyed. I guess if you want to feel better about your life read these stories. I enjoyed some of the longer works as they felt finished where the shorter ones were rushed and had the cliched wrap it up ending (though tragic instead of happy). Rappachini's Daughter and The Birthmark were my favorites.
Jodie
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: school-books
I've had a hard time enjoying my reading because in the end his stories are very redundant, dealing with the same theme disguised in allegorical tales. However I still enjoyed about 3 short stories including Feathertop (which reminded me a lot of Hayao Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle), The Birthmark and The Ambitious Guest.
Gerald Weaver
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hawthorne is the under-appreciated genius of American storytelling. He is the master of the understated weird symbol that may signify many different things. Animated by desire, these stories often exalt the power of a woman's love. And they are so essentially American. I re-read them every few years.
Troy Storm
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wonderful book of short stories by one of our greatest writers. Takes a bit of getting used to, they were written mid-1800s, but are more than worth it. Some eerie, some fairly light, but all intensely evocative.
Jim
Jun 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Here's a collection of short stories by the greatest American writer of short stories. I'm not sure what I like most about Hawthorne, this constant wrestling with his/our Puritian forefathers or the importance/use of color in his writing.
Bookzo
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Once again, I read this classic; I will assign it to English 11 Honors. Since I visited some of Hawthorne's haunts this summer, I wanted to re-read it. Always a great story.
Robert Walrod
"Young Goodman Brown," "Wakefield," "The Maypole of Merry Mount," "The Birthmark," "The Artist of the Beautiful."
Master Chief
Mar 25, 2009 rated it liked it
I really didnt like this book. i only read it for class
Joseph
Jul 18, 2009 added it
Shorter than S Letter! ;]
Jennie
Nov 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
have not read all of these. my favorite is "Wakefield"
Krichter
Oct 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Some of the themes get repetitive if you read the entire book at once, and I also got tired of the feeble female protagonists, but Hawthorne has a way with words.
EB Fitzsimons
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Hit or miss.
Val
Feb 17, 2009 added it
great collection of short stories. i really like "the minister's black veil."
  • Classical Mythology: Images and Insights
  • Gothic Tales of the Marquis de Sade
  • Tales of Unease
  • The Spook House: Terrifying Tales of the Macabre
  • The Best American Short Stories 1997
  • Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella & Other Classic Fairy Tales of Charles Perrault
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature, Shorter Version
  • The Wind in the Rosebush and Other Stories of the Supernatural
  • The King of the Dark Chamber
  • Night-Side: 18 Tales
  • Conjure Tales and Stories of the Color Line
  • Great Ghost Stories
  • Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Treasury
  • The Haunted Dolls' House and Other Ghost Stories
  • Night Relics (Ghosts, #1)
  • The Sowers of the Thunder
  • J. Krishnamurti: A Biography
  • The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Writings
Nathaniel Hawthorne was a 19th century American novelist and short story writer. He is seen as a key figure in the development of American literature for his tales of the nation's colonial history.

Shortly after graduating from Bowdoin College, Hathorne changed his name to Hawthorne. Hawthorne anonymously published his first work, a novel titled Fanshawe, in 1828. In 1837, he published Twice-Told T
More about Nathaniel Hawthorne...